Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited August 2009
    Just thought I'd let everyone here know that I've posted a new chapter in my Legacy Challenge. It's the post titled [Charm] Chapter Eight: Silver Linings.

If you'd like to read from the beginning, just go to the Chapters page at the top of the screen and click on The Charm Legacy. You can also get to my other chapters lists for my other challenges from the Chapters page.

WARNING: Some chapters deal with mature subject matter and have "Barbie" nudity in them.

http://thecharmlegacy.wordpress.com/
  • SianystarSianystar Posts: 1,515 New Member
    edited August 2009
    New chapters posted in my legacy, the heir is not a happy bunny right now but its all his own fault, so I guess that makes it okay!! Link is in my signature picture :)
  • haleym8826haleym8826 Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Ahhhh. Finally My founder has aged to an elder which means i am ready to begin Chapter one of my story and also I am ready to post the first blog. I had a very successful day today my first heir is married and pregnant I expanded the house a bit, It is now a two bedroom, two bath, one kitchen, one dining room, one entrance hall, and an one office house. I am surprised i got it that far. very decent size and well furnished so far although the outside still has no decoration at all. still dry-wall on the outside but the inside has paints and wall papers and flooring. Well i will work on the story and blog tomorrow and get links posted asap.
  • Marit_WateryMarit_Watery Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2009
    Well, I have done it. :lol: Although I am in the middle of the 3rd Gen and the 4th is as good as on its way, I have started a Blog. I don't have any pictures from the beginning of my legacy so I need to do some more introductions but I hope you will still enjoy my story:
    http://maritwatery.wordpress.com/
    I hope to finish the second part tonight. Let me know what you think :wink:
  • JendowozJendowoz Posts: 60 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi Pinstar,

I have begun the legacy challenge and am looking forward to seeing how it goes. I got up to the 9th generation in Sims 2 and enjoyed it. Just wondering how do you advertise you have done each chapter? I know it comes up in the studio, but how do others know it is there?

regards, Jen :)
  • FlugelgalFlugelgal Posts: 26 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Jendowoz wrote:
    Just wondering how do you advertise you have done each chapter? I know it comes up in the studio, but how do others know it is there?

Some people post on this thread/on the "Legacy Blogs" thread in this forum. Some people create a new topic - for example if they want people to vote which person should inherit etc. Also, if people like it they might bookmark it and keep checking back anyway. Good luck!
  • rambleramble Posts: 70 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm on the 2nd generation of my legacy for The Sims 3, but now it got me wondering... Can spares really earn all the points that heirs (and their spouses) can? Take the life wish for example: if my spare household member has a wish that hasn't been fulfilled yet by someone else in the family, can I keep the spare around long enough to earn points from them and then make them move out? Or do I have to keep them around until they die?

How about spouses: if I paint a portrait of them after the heir has been born, do I get that 1 point?

I think I know the answers to these questions, but I though I should double check them before doing anything drastic with my family.
  • StarSarahStarSarah Posts: 931 Member
    edited August 2009
    My heir, Camilla Shenston, is torn between two guys who both want to go steady with her. The first is her partner in the police force, Finn. The other is her high-school crush, Matthew.

Please vote here and help me decide who should be her love interest and maybe the father of her children: http://theshenstonlegacy.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/chapter-2-10-
    boys-boys-boys/

Thank you xxx
  • KrellKrell Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ramble wrote:
    I'm on the 2nd generation of my legacy for The Sims 3, but now it got me wondering... Can spares really earn all the points that heirs (and their spouses) can? Take the life wish for example: if my spare household member has a wish that hasn't been fulfilled yet by someone else in the family, can I keep the spare around long enough to earn points from them and then make them move out? Or do I have to keep them around until they die?

How about spouses: if I paint a portrait of them after the heir has been born, do I get that 1 point?

I think I know the answers to these questions, but I though I should double check them before doing anything drastic with my family.

Absolutely. Spares can earn you points through aspiration points, LTWs, portraits, and of course the money they contribute to the family. Same for spouses as long as they are living in the family house and have already helped bring in the next generation (i.e. already had a kid with their spouse). So by all means keep them around until they at least complete their LTW and hit 100k aspiration. Whether you keep them around after that is up to you.
  • PresAlexPresAlex Posts: 184 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Any ideas on what would happen if you wanted to do a Gays-Only Legacy? I'd assume adoption is the only option.

Something like, your heirs are male-only. With this, you might want to adopt a few children (let's say 2 boys and 1 girl), then have to choose.

I would think that'd be an interesting Legacy.
  • KrellKrell Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    PresAlex wrote:
    Any ideas on what would happen if you wanted to do a Gays-Only Legacy? I'd assume adoption is the only option.

Something like, your heirs are male-only. With this, you might want to adopt a few children (let's say 2 boys and 1 girl), then have to choose.

The concept is interesting but it wouldn't really work if you're going by the official legacy rules. Adoptions don't count because they don't continue the bloodline, which is the main point of the legacy. So you would have to bring in a woman to have the baby. Only problem there is the heir's "spouse" (or partner, in this case) wouldn't be eligible to earn any legacy points because he didn't contribute to birthing the next generation. The mother would be eligible, of course, but I'm assuming you'd want to get rid of her shortly after the birth, otherwise it just sort of turns into a normal legacy with the husband keeping a gay lover on the side.

Of course you could always do your own modified version of the legacy in which adoption is allowed. You don't have to play by the official rules.

When and if I ever finish my first one I'm thinking of trying another legacy with a twist: A polygamist patriarchy. Each heir must have at least two partners and have at least one child with each of them. The main challenge would be keeping everything running smoothly without jealousy getting involved and causing too much trouble. As if the legacy needs to be any more complicated, lol!
  • kayceecarekayceecare Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Awesome. Speaking as someone who LOVES using the motherlode cheat this sounds like an amazing challenge and sounds like it will add a little excitement and adventure to what was becoming a completely routine game :) Thanks for creating this!!!
  • AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited August 2009
    PresAlex wrote:

The problem with doing an adoption based legacy is that adopting as opposed to pregnancy saves quite a lot of time especially over 10 generations, no need to get both partners in the mood, no need for a partner even, and no pregnancy time (I'm basing these statements on Sims 2 as I've yet to adopt in Sims 3 but I'm guessing they more or less hold true). If that's what you want to do, go for it, but remember that your score (if you're scoring) won't be strictly comparable because of that saved time.

I have an alternative suggestion, which needs a little bit of back story to explain, basically I read an article in a science magazine, which was about a study they'd done (in Italy I think) that showed that the female relatives of gay men tended to have more children. Essentially what they were hypothesising was that there was a genetic factor that was not so much a 'gay' gene as a 'likes men' gene, I personally think that that would make an interesting basis for a legacy, each heir could be the eldest male in the generation, but then (in lieu of blood descendents from him) passing to his nephew via a sister, of course the disadvantage would be the need to have at least two children born in each generation one boy, one girl and to keep both of them in the household, something which could get very hectic very fast. Anyway I thought it was an interesting idea, feel free to use it if you like or ignore it if you don't.

• haleym8826haleym8826 Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2009
    maha! here it is guys. Chapter one of my legacy in story format. Now I just have to write the blog but i am too lazy to do it right now.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=85934
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The Legacy Challenge MAKES the Sims. NOthing else is as fun. Challenging, long term and hard to get bored with it.

Thanks so much for posting the new rules. :D
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited August 2009
    Scuby wrote:
    The Legacy Challenge MAKES the Sims. NOthing else is as fun. Challenging, long term and hard to get bored with it. :D

I quite agree that the Legacy challenge makes the game - but I do get bored with it. I have never made it to the 10th generation. Right now I'm on Generation 7 and mynet worth is already over $2,000,000. I've added more family members in order to raise the challenge level a bit, but my Sims have everything they need, so the fun just isn't there any more.

Can someone think of something that will challenge me so I can keep this Legacy going to the end?
  • JendowozJendowoz Posts: 60 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Thanks flugelgal,

I appreciate your reply, so how do you bookmark? I may like to read some other stories. I was a big story writer on the BBS and read many stories too.

Thanks,
  • veggiechipsveggiechips Posts: 56 New Member
    edited August 2009
    post a blog to your story or blog or w/e in this thread. :)
  • happyngayhappyngay Posts: 12 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Schweighsr wrote:
    Scuby wrote:
    The Legacy Challenge MAKES the Sims. NOthing else is as fun. Challenging, long term and hard to get bored with it. :D

I quite agree that the Legacy challenge makes the game - but I do get bored with it. I have never made it to the 10th generation. Right now I'm on Generation 7 and mynet worth is already over $2,000,000. I've added more family members in order to raise the challenge level a bit, but my Sims have everything they need, so the fun just isn't there any more.

Can someone think of something that will challenge me so I can keep this Legacy going to the end?

I agree. I am also on my 7th generation and starting to get bored. What I do to make it more challenging for myself is that I don't make my sims initiate the romantic interactions until they get a 'want' to "kiss someone for the first time". This way, I let my sims mingle with as many potential spouses as I can and let them choose who they 'want'. And I don't kick out a spare until he/she is married and have at least one baby. That made my legacy more interesting to play. Try it.
  • FlugelgalFlugelgal Posts: 26 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Jendowoz wrote:
    Thanks flugelgal,

I appreciate your reply, so how do you bookmark? I may like to read some other stories. I was a big story writer on the BBS and read many stories too.

Thanks,

No problem, Jan, well I meant bookmark within your browser, so if you see one you like, add it to your favourites (if you use IE). That way you can find it again very easily. Blogs often also have RSS feeds, which you can subscribe to, and then it's easy to see when they get updates. The method of subscription depends on your browser, but should be fairly straightforward if you click on a link that says "RSS". Good luck!
  • DreadPirateRozeDreadPirateRoze Posts: 25 New Member
    edited August 2009
    OMG FINALLY!

This is "dreadpiraterose" (I know I know, my username says dreadpirateroze). I have spent the past two and a half weeks totally unable to login in TheSims3.com. It has taken EA Support this long to get me a working account again, and they had to redo my username. (sigh)

ANYWAY...

I have been updating my legacy blog the entire time, using Photobucket to host my screen shots (since I couldn't upload them from my Launcher without a valid login...grrr).

The blog: http://roselegacy.wordpress.com/

Glad to be back finally!
  • ShaluaShalua Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hey, it's my first week doing this legacy thing, my legacy blog is here. (or link in sig) Please let me know what you think. I'd love feedback, good or bad.
  • typicalgeminitypicalgemini Posts: 11,295 Member
    edited August 2009
    after I have reached generation ten can I still write stories about generation 11 and so on?
  • SuperBucketSuperBucket Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The Delf Legacy finally updated! Generation four grows up as the last of Generation two passes on. Chapter sixteen and seventeen posted.

Chapter Sixteen: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1613542-chapter-sixteen

The site: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com
    the Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheDelfLegacy

Don't forget to sign the Guestbook if you have a legacy you'd like me to read :)
  • DreadPirateRozeDreadPirateRoze Posts: 25 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Shalua wrote:
    Hey, it's my first week doing this legacy thing, my legacy blog is here. (or link in sig) Please let me know what you think. I'd love feedback, good or bad.

Shalua, where did that hairstyle in your avatar come from??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top