Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA app? No more Origin for PC?

The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 159 Member
I want to buy an expansion pack but instead of being able to select the Origins link to get the correct version, I'm faced with "EA app" or "Origin for Mac".
EA app doesn't even show pack contents. I can buy if I don't see content.
Also, I don't have an EA app, I have Origins on my PC.

Why the change? Is this a glitch or do I need a new app?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Origin is still very much a thing. I launch it whenever I play and bought the kits through it.

Now, I know they are beta testing the EA app. It wouldn't shock me if they try to rebrand or migrate or merge Origin because it hasn't done that well (their own fault for that, but I digress), however I do know it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, I never go through browser Origin store so I am not 100% about your issue. However, I can confirm that going through the Origin shortcut didn't even bring up the pesky EA App page today and I can navigate right to the store to make purchases.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    On my phone and one the website, downloading an EP for windows goes through the EA link. Only mac has an Origin link. Also, when I click through the EA link, there is no indication of what's included in the pack! I shouldn't be surprised though, there's a history of unfinished and bugged packs so why would the website be different?

Not buying anything until I know this link works.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited May 2022
    Phone makes more sense, requiring apps. I hate it, but a lot of them do that or the mobile sites are less desirable than the desktop (but sometimes desktop sites don't work on phone). I don't know if Origin has an app for mobile, but if not that explains why they are making one.

By website I assume you mean the browser version. I don't really use that version. I connect to the store through the Origin launcher itself, which very much works.

Anyway, if you can post photos people could comment more. However, feel free to contact Origin help or whatever version you see.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,245 Member
    edited May 2022
    There is still Origin if you click on Download under Notifications

Download page
    https://www.origin.com/store/download

Direct download
    https://www.dm.origin.com/download

EA Desktop is still a beta version.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,619 Member
    I downloaded the EA app ages ago and let them know my thoughts on it. I stopped using it, since I couldn't discover a way to repair my game. I still use the latest Origin. I also enjoy the number of hours it's counted for my gameplay. I do hope the latest version of the App takes these things into account. Else they're going to have one very unhappy, long-time player on their hands. Growl, growl, grumble, grumble.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The EA app is in beta, hence I won't use it. It has been in beta for... 2 years now?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    I usually browse the EA site on my laptop or android. Up until a few days ago the links for Origin, Mac, Console, etc were the same then the Origin Link turned into EA link.

Anyhoo, I fired up the game and everything looks normal with the Origin Link and all.

I know it's hard to envision without screenies but all is well with the world.
    Thanks y'all!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    Eventually when the Beta is over the EA App will replace Origin, I signed up for the beta but not all the games does not show up under the Beta. I can still use Origin which has all my games and I sort of like how the beta looks versus Origin.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2022
    I was still able to buy through Origin app (PC version), but what I do is I launch the Sims 4 game and then buy I the packs and kits using the already installed Origin app on my PC, not the website browser version of Origin.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Eventually when the Beta is over the EA App will replace Origin, I signed up for the beta but not all the games does not show up under the Beta. I can still use Origin which has all my games and I sort of like how the beta looks versus Origin.

The pace they're working on it that would be around 2036. ;)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    I took a look at DLC on my phone just now and the origin link is back.
    I don't know what EA does when EA does it so I don't know why I question anything.

I got other fish to carp about anyway.
  • Options
    motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    I have and use origin.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,971 Member
    edited June 2022
    Still using origin too
    I've been wondering if EA app is worse or better than origin when it comes to performance
    but it being in beta sounds more like extra annoyances I don't want
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    honeypooh1267honeypooh1267 Posts: 1,344 Member
    still using origin also.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I am still using Origin with no issues :)
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I get a discount in the EA App, so I often use that to buy packs. But for updates and other things, Origin is still the only thing that works properly.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I think it's just that you won't be able to buy Sims 4 packs on Origin after June 13. I haven't seen anything that mentions that you can't play through Origin
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    Dmitriy1Dmitriy1 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @The_Mercuria said:
    > I want to buy an expansion pack but instead of being able to select the Origins link to get the correct version, I'm faced with "EA app" or "Origin for Mac".
    > EA app doesn't even show pack contents. I can buy if I don't see content.
    > Also, I don't have an EA app, I have Origins on my PC.
    >
    > Why the change? Is this a glitch or do I need a new app?

You can google for Origin, and get it still, and thank god. Last night EA app refused to connect to the servers, reinstalls, restarts, cussing did zero. Steam still uses EA app to finally run the game, or Origin. So then I finally found Origin. It frigin' made me redownload games, and DLCs. But since then both games not in the cloud do work. So they need more work before they switch IMHO. Nothing made the EA app connect, I did settings in anti virus firewall, it was all on their end.
  • Options
    > @belpita said:
    > I get a discount in the EA App, so I often use that to buy packs. But for updates and other things, Origin is still the only thing that works properly.

After last night's nightmare, I agree 1000%. As far as discounts, you know about Eneba yes? every DLC $15. You activate on Origin or EA, then DL it through either, unless EA app won't connect to the servers for 2 hours, so someone reinstalled through Origin, and it worked right away.
  • Options
    > @LatinaBunny said:
    > I was still able to buy through Origin app (PC version), but what I do is I launch the Sims 4 game and then buy I the packs and kits using the already installed Origin app on my PC, not the website browser version of Origin.

Hmm, I did see that in there. I doubt it'll stay there if they switch 100%. They might patch it soon to promote the EA app. Like MS pushes Edge, that's also not as good, crucial elements not even there like cast to device in chrome. Slower too. Sorry about off topic. Anyhow I googled for a link to a working official Origin exe. It's there if you search. A shame I had to resort to that because of the EA app being unreliable.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,290 Member
    Dmitriy1 wrote: »
    > @The_Mercuria said:
    > I want to buy an expansion pack but instead of being able to select the Origins link to get the correct version, I'm faced with "EA app" or "Origin for Mac".
    >

You can google for Origin, and get it still, and thank god. Last night EA app refused to connect to the servers, reinstalls, restarts, cussing did zero. Steam still uses EA app to finally run the game, or Origin. So then I finally found Origin. It frigin' made me redownload games, and DLCs. But since then both games not in the cloud do work. So they need more work before they switch IMHO. Nothing made the EA app connect, I did settings in anti virus firewall, it was all on their end.

@Dmitriy1, the only reason why people can still get in no is because EA has stopped switching over everyone from Origin to the EA app due to issues with The Sims 3 and the store content for that game as well as The Sims 2 showing the wrong icon as it showing TS2 DD instead of UC. So they are now allowing players to download Origin again while they are looking into those issues.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    Dmitriy1 wrote: »
    > @The_Mercuria said:
    >

@Dmitriy1, the only reason why people can still get in no is because EA has stopped switching over everyone from Origin to the EA app due to issues with The Sims 3 and the store content for that game as well as The Sims 2 showing the wrong icon as it showing TS2 DD instead of UC. So they are now allowing players to download Origin again while they are looking into those issues.

I agree and once they figure it out good-bye Origin. I am not a fan of either of them as I rather do a direct launch than depend on a launcher but sadly it is the only way to access my games.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,619 Member
    I reinstalled Origin, since I couldn't find the repair game action anywhere on the EA App. Finally, stumbled upon it. I purchased the two new kits and it told me in order to download I had to first make certain I had the latest version of the App. I was reasonably certain I did, but as in the past, I clicked the link. It ate my Origin, as a result, but I was teetering on the edge of removing Origin myself, that I decided I'm just going to fly without it. So far, so good. It was time, I think.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top