Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can I stop a sim from die-ing from laughter?

I need to know how can I get a sim to somber up before they die from laughter? I thought it was "dying from laughter" but that sounds like they are re-coloring some fabric but it just looks funny...or is that just a lame joke? Nobody would die from that joke. Anyway, I saw this happen and the Reaper came and her husband tried to plead with the Reaper and he wouldn't listen. He had the option to Seduce the Reaper but I guess you only get one chance so I just waited until he reaped her and I then didn't save the game. I went back in and thought I could have her leave the lot but she still died only on a different lot. Not sure whether trying to restart again will have any effect or if dying off lot just means she is a goner? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Sometimes this game can be a real pain. I may try the seduction route if she is still back on the active lot when I restart the game.

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    When your sims get "hysterical" emotion, take them to the mirror to calm them down or sleep it off. Certain emotions, once they reach a certain level, are lethal.
  • FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    oh good idea. I actually was able to get her to go and meditate but it took about three restarts before I was able to break into the hysterical mood. Then after she meditated and got calmed down she took a bath and was hysterical again so had to stop that and send her to bed. My sims just get too much happiness I guess. Have to think of some stuff to make them less happy?
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I try not to joke around to much with my sims because it gives them the mood that later leads to hysterics. I once tried for a baby at a nightclub with a sim I married right after, only to have him die from hysterics when they where married, so yeah I do feel they die a little easy from it. Did you do anything special that lead up to the hysterics before it happened? Telling jokes or something? Glad to hear you got her back eventually :)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited May 2022
    Yes, I don’t like that sims die from hysteria, I think it’s dumb. I would love to have a comedian, but am always afraid they will die of that. Like someone else mentioned I usually send them to bed, and I don’t let my sims tell too many jokes. I don’t like that they can die of embarrassment either. Neither of these deaths make sense. They should have just made strong negative moodlets for each. I can understand them dying from extreme anger.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,828 Member
    edited May 2022
    I've never liked the emotional deaths, it was a bad idea from the start, imo. After a few near misses years ago with my standup comics I started using mods to prevent them. Being a comedian should not be a dangerous occupation. The worst our standup sims should have to worry about is flying fruits and veggies, hecklers, or both.

I kind of get where the devs were coming from, I had asthma as a child and really intense laughing fit could trigger an attack. If you get angry enough you could have a heart attack or stroke, but these are things that I'd rather not see happening in my game. Or make it harder for these things to happen at least.

The mentions for using mirrors to calm them down or going to bed are spot on.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I've come close and also hate these type of deaths. Especially when a Sim is so happy like one of mine was when she was enjoying a holiday and got a new boyfriend. It was New Year's but I sent her right to bed and the next day she was OK.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    I’ve never had a sim die an emotional death. If they get the “very whatever emotion” moodlets, I start countering it right then. Having said that, I think the idea of emotional death is creatively funny because we use those expressions all the time. “I just died laughing” “I could have died of embarrassment.” They’re figures of speech for us, but real threats to sims. I put them in the same category with cow plants: one of those quirky things unique to the Sims.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    the answer is simple turn off death in game or use a mod to make your sims imortel
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited May 2022
    I need to know how can I get a sim to somber up before they die from laughter? I thought it was "dying from laughter" but that sounds like they are re-coloring some fabric
    That would be dyeing.
    My sims tend to get hysterical if they’ve had several recent events that give strong happy moodlets, like engagement, marriage, holidays, etc. so I spread those out as much as possible and try to avoid bubble baths. Now it’s not really an issue for me. But it really can sneak up on you when the stars align for it!