Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions on Goth makeover?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    What do I think of the Goth update? Time and money wasted.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Right on! The new versions, even on TS4 art terms, have no connection to the older game versions.
  • BoujieSimmerBoujieSimmer Posts: 50 Member
    I personally like the newer looks. I think Bella looks more like older versions of herself. I can’t wait to see who else gets updated.

I don’t get why there are a lot of complaints about the update. It’s not like it’s a permanent change. You can always change them to how you want them.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don’t get why there are a lot of complaints about the update. It’s not like it’s a permanent change. You can always change them to how you want them.

I think the problem players have is that this is a "forced update"..... it's not an optional to NOT update them if you start a new save, THESE are "The Goths" you get in that save.

So you have to go out of your way to swap out the original ones if that's what people prefer.

ALL updates should be an optional thing for players, there are so so soooooo many updates that I did not want! Have no use for with my particular play style, don't want it in the game even, but in order to update to get the latest build for any new DLC, we are forced to have these updates in our game too.

Same with this .... I personally don't like them, I've already added the originals to my library for future new saves, but again ... this is unnecessary steps that "we the players, who PAID FOR THIS GAME", have to do, we have to jump through hoops to get it back to how it was.

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2022
    I liked them the way they were, but I did darken Cassandra's skin tone a bit.
    I don't see the need to physically change the premades since most simmers either don't use them or edit them if they don't like them.

Never liked Mortimer's career as a writer. I guess you could pretend he wrote about science, but at least we can give him a proper science career with Get To Work. I would rather have had More Bio information, individual Bios, a sense that world existed before you came along instead of everything being a blank slate.

So what I am doing now is playing my save to a point where everyone has a history and I will be using it to start new games. And I will use the original Goths since this save was established before this change.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    Although I am glad that Cassandra looks more akin to her TS1 and TS2 appearance, Alexander's appearance is just off. The hairstyle and clothing are too fashionable, in my opinion. In TS2, he was clearly "his father's son", (as opposed to Cassandra taking after Bella) and Mortimer has always been old-fashioned.
    Speaking of Mortimer, why did the creators stray away from the widow's peak hairstyle as seen in the concept art? Instead, the hairstyle he has came from a base game update, and when compared to how well the model for Bella's hair is, his looks... choppy.

I had hoped that the Goth family update would include deceased relatives and a family tree. Though the family has been revamped, nothing else has. It seems odd to spend so much time only revamping one aspect of a household.

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Maybe they could of tweaked them a bit; but I liked how they were before. If Bella is supposed to be Mediterranean/Italian/Hispanic, then just give a bit more of an olive skin/warmer tone would be accurate/fitting. They went the opposite direction and gave her a cooler tone instead though. They also could of gave them them likes or dislikes, something that would help impact the gameplay.

I like Mortimer though, as someone else said, he reminds me of Gomez Addams.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    The Sims 2 version of Bella Goth and Michael Bachelor, that everyone all knows and love, is a whitewashed version of their Sims 1 versions. In the Sims 1, both sims use heads labelled Asian (In the Sims 1, heads came as a complete package, ie, no changing hair and facial features), as shown below via the Sims 1 Make a Date application which displays both head and body meshes and texture names.

fpX30r6.png

D08UexF.png

While in game, this may have gone unnoticed for Bella, given that it is difficult to see facial details for Bella in Sims 1 quality, for Michael, it is just inexcusable given how obviously and clearly east Asian he looks. In the Sims 2, they just give him a completely different face. If they decided to make Bella and Michael siblings, they should've gone the way that didn't remove his entire ethnic identity. In fact, the only thing the 1 and 2 versions have in common is a name, because they certainly decided to ignore everything else, such as making the fresh out of college graduate the older brother of a woman with a school age child, and have him die of old age 25 years later.

This was partly due to the limitations of Sims 2 CAS in that every sim essentially had manipulations of the same base face, and as such ethnic minority sims were much more difficult to create.

I just felt the need to post this in here because everyone loves the Sims 2 version, and during the whole discussion about the whitewashing of older characters in the Sims 4, they would often point to the Sims 2 version. People would say that she was Latina, native American, Italian, black etc (or worse, say she was canonically that ethnicity based on no evidence whatsoever), often based on the names of her parents and grandparents that were retconned into existence and nothing else. As far as I'm aware, the above game files are the only explicit description of her ethnic identity in the entire franchise. Sure she could be those other ethnicities in part, but the main part should always have been her Asian identity.

In addition, I find the whole comparison to the Addams family very limiting. Sure, Mortimer and Gomez are similar in that they are white men in suits and moustaches, and at a stretch Cassandra due to the pigtails. But it just seems forced on Bella, how in any way is she like Morticia? It feels like if some members of the family fit, they all must fit, they cannot have individual identities.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Sims 1 is an important piece of software but canonically it was obsoleted by Sims 2. The developers adopted the lore from the first game and retconned it. This worked in part by taking branched discombobulated lore and making it more cohesive; as a result the world building in Sims 2 was phenomenal.

Note I said retconned. I don’t think the term whitewashing is applicable in that situation. Neither character had any kind of established racial identity and neither were light skinned in Sims 2. In Sims 2 Bella was “medium” skinned and Michael was “tan” skinned. Their retconned lore didn’t establish them as any particular race either, seeing how the fathers name is Hebrew and the mothers was Greek. In the end none of them were playable characters, aside from a duplicate of Bella Goth who was a townie in a separate neighborhood.

I also don’t agree with calling the Goth family in 4 “whitewashed”. Sure Cassandra may have had a lighter complexion than her Sims 2 counterpart but that’s really the only thing I give in that regard. Is a lighter skin tone really a big problem when the developers retconned the entirety of their lore out of existence? I don’t really think so. All in all I thought they looked the part.

I’m not sure if it was the developers who made the statement that Sims 4 goths were whitewashed or if that’s something players are running with, but I think they got a little carried away here in the name of representation marketing.
  • PineappleMaplePineappleMaple Posts: 16 Member
    They should remake our poor Alex. He doesn't deserve this
  • dirty_milosdirty_milos Posts: 210 Member
    I didn't play the previous versions of The Sims, but I prefer Bella from The Sims 2 Strangetown as I saw her on You Tube, I think she looks there like her character should be looking.

And if the Goths were modelled after the Addams family, then why such a worry about the skin color, because only Gomez is Hispanic and Morticia is pale white, and their children are obviously mixed.

I prefer the original Bella from the Sims 4, the new one even doesn't look like Bella.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Right now I've chosen to make the new Goths wear bags on their heads 24/7 on every new save I start and I rename their last names to NotGoth, SoNotGoth, WannabeGoth or something similar (different every time) and I evict them and move them to Strangerville.
    Then I download the original Sims 4 Goths and move them in their home, they're the only Goths I accept in my saves.
  • ViolettaVioletta Posts: 29 Member
    Sims 4 is the only Sims game I've played, so I'm used to the whitewashed version of the family. I'm probably going to change them back. I didn't even recognize Bella or Cassandra when I saw them walking down the street after the makeover. I just thought "hey, new townies I've never noticed before", hovered over them, and nope, that's Bella and Cassandra lol.

I mean, if this is what people wanted then fine I guess, but I feel like there are so many other things they could be spending time/money on than giving townies makeovers. I can go give the townies makeovers myself if I want to. I would rather they spend time fixing bugs, adding more likes/dislikes, fixing the wants/fears, making the packs more cross compatible, etc.
  • HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    I don't like the make over because the ethnicity has been changed. The Goths were an Italian family, I thought. At least I assumed that Bella Goth was from Italy from her first name and complexion. Mortimer was obviously a Goth... A Scandinavian. The children had Greek names. I suppose they were a European family. Now Bella and the entire family are Indian or at the very least South Asian. Why? Even the gothic culture originates in Europe via Christianity and European "memento Mori", so it's a bit weird in my opinion.
    I don't know why the ethnicity needed to be changed but I think if you change the ethnic group, you should change the names. Call Bella, Priti or something...
  • SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    Bella's gorgeous now. The others look neat. Wish they'd done likes & dislikes so I had more to comment on.
    Heronyx wrote: »
    I don't like the make over because the ethnicity has been changed.
    If you scroll up you'll see that Bella was originally described as Asian, and then in Sims 2 she is shown to have Black and Greek heritage; Sims 4 follows the latter.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    SimSoon wrote: »
    Bella's gorgeous now. The others look neat. Wish they'd done likes & dislikes so I had more to comment on.
    Heronyx wrote: »
    I don't like the make over because the ethnicity has been changed.
    If you scroll up you'll see that Bella was originally described as Asian, and then in Sims 2 she is shown to have Black and Greek heritage; Sims 4 follows the latter.

Which TS2 Bella are you referring to? There is one in Strangetown and one in Pleasantview, though buried in a usually inaccessible bin unless you follow the complicated tombstone cheat procedure.
  • Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited September 2022
    Wondering… Anyone else happen to have just preferred the Goth house in their original look that they saved and maybe even like me, shared on the Gallery the OG Goth fam, for their own and perhaps others possible use…? I mean, I find/ found the Goth fam was fine as it was and prefer the OG for that reason over some new adaptation. Plus… Idk about others but the Sandra Goth by far to me looks a lil off with her facial features with the darker skin tone….
    Post edited by EA_Cade on
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,848 Member
    I know I do, now if I want to play them as is I'll take them off the gallery and change what I want, if I don't I'll just delete them.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    You might find some concurring opinions in this thread.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/999873/opinions-on-goth-makeover/p1
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I'm fine with Bella and Cassandra being repaired to their TS1/TS2 iterations, but they went the wrong way with 'fixing' Alexander, who now no longer resembles his Sims 2 simself. I just use Plumbella's Goth fam. (Or was it FakeGamerGirls? One of `em.)
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Umm… Ok. I see 4 ppl so far were interested by this but…
    First of all, I have every time found it insanely hard to find a Maxis creation I was looking for in particular so…. Yeah, whatever with Maxis creations lol.
    Second, as a default it seems their sims will never have already pre thought up Winter & Summer wear outfits… But one’s self and I think most other simmers sharing their own OG Goth family will have given them ‘hand picked’ winter & summer wear.
    Third… Meh, more interested in what others simmers are up to on this. If they like me, like the OG versions better enough to save and hold onto their last OG version of the house or just be more “whatever” about it lol.

I put mine on my gallery as I often for whatever reason delete my created or ‘downloaded’ sims I have on my game but not so much the gallery ones.
    JrTlDGw.jpg
    I'm fine with Bella and Cassandra being repaired to their TS1/TS2 iterations, but they went the wrong way with 'fixing' Alexander, who now no longer resembles his Sims 2 simself. I just use Plumbella's Goth fam. (Or was it FakeGamerGirls? One of `em.)
    Yeah… I am going on forty but only started playing sims as “early” as Sims 3 so.. You offer a point of view (or however one might choose to phrase it) that I lack due to never really being in the game for those 2 earlier games…

You might find some concurring opinions in this thread.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/999873/opinions-on-goth-makeover/p1
    Lol… Yeah, I guess so lol.
    I don’t know about others but on the topic, with Maxis altering the Goths
    (to me seemed/ seems random but based on what SmellinCoffee said probably not lol),
    but one motto in life I tend to live by in many things “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”.
    And regardless of what anyone else says, this Goth family look change seems to me like something that didn’t need ‘fixing’. But whatevs lol.

JrTlDGw.jpg
  • lebgirl_18lebgirl_18 Posts: 142 Member
    If they had kept them looking the same but just adjusted their skin tone then that would be great but then again, we can do that on our own.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    I don't really care about the pre made sims in TS4. They are not unique, they don't have significant lore and don't know any other sims outside their homes. They all feel the same. In other words, I just delete them all... They are not interesting at all!