Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

XX + XX = XY?

Yeah, the title say all
We have the option to customize genders, so both females can try for baby
But then.... you follow me?

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Well, I suppose all sims should be able to try for baby, but the fact that they are successful in this combination makes it questionable. :)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    Obviously a consequence of alien reproductive technology, which when used between non-alien Sims can have unpredictable results

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    At least XX males are possible, though they are infertile.
    XY + XY could result in YY which does not exist!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    sorry to say this but i do not get it as a player
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    At least XX males are possible, though they are infertile.
    XY + XY could result in YY which does not exist!

Now than you say it
    Sure, if XY + XY can be YY (matrix error)
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm not sure if I am missing the joke here, but obviously because the game doesn't use a chromosome genetic inheritance system. It is very simply Sim + Sim = Sim with ideally mixed traits, but they have a wider pool of possibilities to pull from.

Implementing something like this would be akin to implementing a sex mechanic on top of gender, and I don't really see what we would really gain from going that detailed. Especially when we have gender customization the way it is.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Since, irl, XX + XX = no baby, I'm not sure I understand your point. Obviously the game is not realistic in the equation or the outcome.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    A simple answer from me: it's a game.

I'll just say this: I take these gender options as the way that the science has evolved so much in The Sims 4 that same-gender couple can have babies. What exactly have they done, I don't know. How they make X into Y, I don't know.

Of course, XX males exist in real life. They were born male, just SRY-gene got into X gene and decided to activate. This does cause infertility though... Nah, it's a game. Not everything in games make sense...

So, let's say that the science in this area has evolved, ok?
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    What is the question?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Back in Sims 2 that was an actual plotpoint in my Strangetown at one time. I was playing Circe Beaker and her townie love (I don't remember that one's name), and they managed to get pregnant via mad science (aka mods), hoping for a genetics defying boy. They got two girls. Good times!

Nowadays I don't think this issue is worth being upset about, since we have ways to correct or prevent getting boys from a double xx couple: Giving the baby a female name and switching it to female soon as it leaves the crib (pretending it has always been a girl) or feeding the mother strawberries.
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    edited May 2022
    Irl... not everyone is xx or xy. Some people are xxy or xyx. There are other combinations too. It is called "intersex" and approximately 1 in 500 people have a third chromosome. Maybe the Sims in question have three chromosomes as well? Just a thought.

Edit: I just thought, in MWS there are "intersex" wedding cake toppers. I'm sure that the genders settings are set to reflect that if you want them too.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Yeah, the title say all

I do not follow, since nowhere in the options chromosomes are mentioned, but gender.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2022
    You know the water is still 10% radioactive due to the disaster from SimCity in 1999 so ...

Nuclear Power Plant meltdown

hqdefa12.jpg
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Yeah, the title say all

I do not follow, since nowhere in the options chromosomes are mentioned, but gender.

Don't have my game open but doesn't it say male or female? It's my understanding that these refer to biological sex in the strictest use of the terms, where man, woman, or any other way someone identifies, would refer to gender? I could be wrong.

Either way, magic exists. And aliens. I have no problem using custom setting when I want my couple to have children. It's a magical made up world. I personally love that not only can players represent themselves, but they can make the world follow rules they would ideally prefer, instead of being beholden to our current reality <3
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Yeah, the title say all

Don't have my game open but doesn't it say male or female? It's my understanding that these refer to biological sex in the strictest use of the terms, where man, woman, or any other way someone identifies, would refer to gender? I could be wrong.

Either way, magic exists. And aliens. I have no problem using custom setting when I want my couple to have children. It's a magical made up world. I personally love that not only can players represent themselves, but they can make the world follow rules they would ideally prefer, instead of being beholden to our current reality <3

Exactly. If one plays as if this is meant to be a simulated version of real life, one no doubt has already had many, many problems with that approach. Many other very unreal things (compared to the world and life we currently know, anyway) have existed in these games since day one. :wink:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    What is the question?

Yeah, I don't get it either on what the question is.
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Obviously XX + XX = A diamond...in particular, it's a plumbob...

Mind=blown.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2022
    XX + XX = XY

This equation is wrong, it should be XX + XX = 2 XY (twins) for a perfect equity :p

The Sims rule #123 :
    • If the player breaks the balance between XX and XY, take the control of the birth !

• Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,083 Member
    I thought you could already toggle it in CAS so that any partner can have a baby?
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    I thought you could already toggle it in CAS so that any partner can have a baby?

Yeah. That's part of the gender options. Which why the chromosome thing isn't a valid argument since that argument has nothing to do with gender.

That's the last I will comment on this issue.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Real life Biology is far more complicated than XX and XY.

Biology in the Sims doesn't have to match Real life Biology anyway.

And that's all I'm going to say.