Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Parties - what do you do?

I have thrown several parties in Sims 3 and had some success but I could use some more ideas. What kind of parties do you throw in sims 3 and how has it gone? What do you do to ensure success?

For myself, I try to have some homemade food and lots of music. I also try to talk to each guest. Any other ideas or tips?
Screenshot-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited May 2022
    Music is generally good especially if you put on some of the more popular music stations on the radio available in Sims 3. And I’ve noticed that Sims don’t particularly care what they eat so slap down a buffet table in the corner and let them help themselves. Maybe order a pizza or two. You might find a few party-crashers. They’re usually the ones passed out on the floor in a puddle of pee at the end of the night if you haven’t told them, “Party’s over! Get the hell out of my house!”

I’ve had a few epic parties where the town “hasn’t stopped talking about the party for weeks.“

I’ve actually never had a “No one showed up to your party; how sad.” Either they had a good time and they were happy to be there or my party was the talk of the town. The general consensus was that the party was awesome, but there’s a few “Karen” sims that were going “This party’s bogus, I’m outta here!” Yeah, whatever, see ya, more food n’ drinks for the rest of us, man…”.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Wow! Thanks for the input. I've never had the town talking about a party I threw - didn't even know about that.
    So there is a lot more for me to do to throw an epic party. Got to try harder. Do you ever put down a bar and hire a bartender?
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    Wow! Thanks for the input. I've never had the town talking about a party I threw - didn't even know about that.
    So there is a lot more for me to do to throw an epic party. Got to try harder. Do you ever put down a bar and hire a bartender?

I'm sure that would help. The main thing you have to do to get an epic party is to make sure there are plenty of things for the guests to do. A video game console would help. Sims can play together on those. You could even have one of your active sims sit down and invite guests to play with him, then get up and get another group involved in something that they will keep at for a while. If the weather's good, outdoor activities can be helpful too, like horseshoes, gnubb, etc. Even water balloon or snowball fights are a good way to engage guests. They don't even care if they're wearing formalwear, they'll join right in anyway. I had one winter gift-giving party where one couple made use of both the kids' igloo and the all in one bathroom to woohoo, while all the kids and some of the adults were outside having a snowball fight. They all thought that party was epic.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited May 2022
    Here's some tricks I use to help my Sim pull off an epic party.

*Decorate the space! Don't underestimate the importance of environment! Buy balloons and banners, change the lighting scheme. If you want, have a firework or two on hand to launch just to keep things alive and interesting.

**Day and time of day is important to the type of party your Sim is throwing. My birthday parties start in the early afternoon (1pm or 2pm). My house parties will start closer to when the sun is setting. Corporate parties (such as the company Christmas parties - Not gift giving parties) will always be held on Saturday in the early evening.

My Tricks:
    1). Weather permitting, hold the party outdoors either at the host's house or at the park. If indoor parties are more your thing, in Sunset Valley the Art Museum is a great place to hold an indoor party.

2). Have plenty of food available as Sims are greedy (at least the ones in my game are). I usually make two main dishes and one dessert type. Be certain to decorate the table the food is placed on with a simple centerpiece.

3) Have the music pumping (turned to high volume) and your Sim dancing before the first guest arrives. As guests arrive, click on them and select 'ask to join to dance' (or whatever the option is). For some strange reason, when a sim asks another to dance, the fun meter for the one who asked begins to raise instead of both of them. Also, the louder the music is, the further Sims can hear it.

4) After the guests have been dancing for a bit, turn the radio off just long enough for the Sims to register that the music has stopped. Once they all stop dancing, turn the music back on and leave them to their autonomous actions. Sims will start to eat, socialize, engage in an activity or choose to keep dancing all on their own. Be aware, sometimes fights break out or Sims pass out!

5) I only add a mixologist if the party is being hosted by a top celebrity as it keeps with the expectations of the lifestyle. Otherwise, pop in a regular juice bar or a juice keg (if you have University Life). But watch out for any party animals who visit your party as they will 'spike the punch' if you know what I mean ;)!

6) As @IreneSwift said, having things for the guest to engage with will go a long way in keeping the party alive and Sims from yawning from boredom. I add the gyroscopic whatchamacallit doohickey thingy to the lot and the Sims seem to really like the 'rush' they get from it.

Other than that, just sit back and watch them do their thing. You, your Sims and their guests will have a blast! Also, sometimes there's a Sim or two who don't know when the party is over, when you've had enough just kick them out by asking them to leave. Wake up any of them who attempt to camp out on your lot by falling asleep on the lounge chairs or sofas. Some sims seem to want breakfast the next day and will try to stay on your lot.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited May 2022
    The best party I ever had and it got me the badge for having a great party. Not sure exactly what the badge is called now.

I made sure there was plenty of room. The party room was well decorated. They had music, comfortable seats and lots of food. There were all in one bathrooms available nearby too. All of my previous parties had been flops because the guests would wander around the house and never make it to the party room. So I locked all doors to keep guests away from every other area in the house.

Here are some pics. It was an Awesome Party.

AwesomeParty5.jpg

AwesomeParty4.jpg

AwesomeParty3.jpg

AwesomeParty2.jpg

AwesomeParty1.jpg

I've had some pretty terrible parties too. So long as no one dies it is a bonus. Only one mermaid died at one of my bachelorette parties. That was Mia Azul. My sims keep her urn at their place and she haunts them occasionally at night. Great fun when one of the cowardly sims sees her ghost.
  • Options
    All of my previous parties had been flops because the guests would wander around the house and never make it to the party room.

This is exactly why I throw 90% of my parties outdoors - Space and wandering! Sure, guests are welcome to go indoors if they choose however, like you, I also lock the bedroom doors. And with outdoor parties, I add a sink or two outdoors because it stops them from all routing to my kitchen or bathroom to wash the dishes.
  • Options
    Man! those are some great tips! I think my parties have been so so compared to those bashes. Never thought about locking doors either. I usually have a small house so sims travel indoors and out.

Love that party room @Karritz!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    I hardly ever let my sims throw a party. I think I've never gotten over the very first party that I threw in the game. First someone died and then my sim found out her boyfriend was cheating on her. :confounded:
  • Options
    Wow wendyyi I'm impressed! Grim attended your first ever party and then you had an epic Knott's Landing moment (anyone remember that show? anyone?) Ok a Days of Our Lives moment.
    You definitely should throw another one!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I'm pretty sure that the outcome of the party is just about how happy, in terms of overall mood, the guests end up. So I try to drive up their moods to a reasonable extent and don't worry about the rest.

A lot of what I do has already been mentioned above, but in short, I put on music, and I have my host sims each doing a separate fun activity that other sims can join, so when the guests arrive, I click on them and "ask to join." TV and foosball are great for this. When the guests' fun meters fill up, they'll wander away to do something else.

I also have my sims bring plates and glasses of nectar to the guests; the option is only available during parties. The higher the quality, the better the moodlets.

I also lock any doors away from the main party scene. It's not just about privacy, it's about avoiding having the sims walk back and forth and waste time doing nothing or need to be called back.

With just that—good food and drink, maxed-out fun meter—I always manage an epic party.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Like you said, try and talk with every guest (Works in real life as well :lol: ).
    I like to put music but that is for my own fun.
    And I usually use the buffet table for parties to make sure no one stays hungry.

I must admit, the sims taught me how to properly host guests in real life too :wink:
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    @Karritz nice pictures!
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited May 2022
    Epic parties are thrown by sims with the LTR "Legendary Host" (5,000 lifetime points) - it never fails! It also helps if the sim who's throwing the party is charismatic or a party animal. You don't have to talk to everyone, nor feed them, but it takes away the sense of working a little to get rewarded...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    @Jillbg - What's a party without food and conversation?? Without a bit of laughter and high spiritedness?? Being that I like to take a lot...and I mean a LOT of screenshots of autonomous behavior at social events, I don't think I could ever pull off a coded party. Coded meaning relying on the programming of the LTR or the trait system, to me that seems a bit (for lack of a better word) 'cheaty' and mechanical. But hey, to each their own, party planning isn't everyone's cup of tea.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    I’m gonna have a pair of sims throw a pool party (when I get a replacement computer).

There’s gonna be sims dying all over the place. Gonna be epic. 😁🤣
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer - Whatever floats your boat (see what I did there :D)! Besides, a killer party is waaaay cooler than an epic one ;).
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @mw1525 The information was just that, to help out. That's exactly why I said it took away the sense of working for the reward. I miss TS2 and the struggle to get the kids into a private school, you really had challenges to achieve something.
    I'm a sucker for parties, who isn't? Only thing with parties in TS3 is that they take so much time. All sims have not arrived before it's already over. I usually hire a bartender, but they don't arrive on time and then don't seem to find the bar they are supposed to tend. Aargh. So I use Nraas to cheat a little with time, and then everything runs smoothly...

Two epic parties in my story
    tgw02-36-18.jpg
    thegreywitches-part02-12-44.jpg
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    @jillbg That last picture is just OMG! That's a lot of sims in one place! I've never had so many sims show up for a party, lol. With that many sims having fun, it'd better turn out to be an epic party!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @jillbg - I wasn't criticizing your party suggestion/advice please don't take it that way. It's good advice for those who play with those elements. My opening sentences were actually poking a bit of fun at the fact you said "you don't even have to talk to everyone or feed them", that's all. I had hoped my usage of the double question marks would have made my sentences read a bit more light-heartedly with a sense of 'hmmmm??' humor and in a less serious tone. Going by your response, you clearly didn't interpret or perceive what I had written in the manner in which it was intended. So to clarify, my response wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

I play with the Sim's learning AI, seeing how it can be influenced, manipulated and guided. The results of what they learn is shown through their autonomous behavior which is why I mention the massive amounts of screenshots I take and said "I could never pull off a coded party" that was about my playstyle and had nothing to do with your advice. As far as 'The Cup of Tea' is concerned, I know Simmers who bypass parties altogether simply because it doesn't interest them. Again, not a critique of your playstyle or a statement against your advice, just a general acknowledgement that not all Simmers care about parties.
  • Options
    @mw1525 I didn't mean to sound offended, sorry if I did. A lot of people don't know about what LTR's can do for the game - I'm playing TS3 since the beginning and I'm still finding stuff I didn't know about. I like my sims to struggle a bit, but I respect everyone's game play. Which is why the forum is interesting...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited May 2022
    I have not had a party for years, but once I use to go to a lot of parties, and every time I went this one girl sim came, and there was a male sim who when every time he seen her went over and slapped her on the face and she would cry. I was mad about it and he did it at every party, so I had my sim get a black belt and then threw a party and invited him, when the girl showed up sure enough the man slapped her in the face, so I had my sim beat up the man and he never did it again. that was my first and only party. Sims are fun
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    I have not had a party for years, but once I use to go to a lot of parties, and every time I went this one girl sim came, and there was a male sim who when every time he seen her went over and slapped her on the face and she would cry. I was mad about it and he did it at every party, so I had my sim get a black belt and then threw a party and invited him, when the girl showed up sure enough the man slapped her in the face, so I had my sim beat up the man and he never did it again. that was my first and only party. Sims are fun

That is so awesome! Wonder what she did (if anything) to inspire so much wrath from him?? Glad to know that sims can learn too - from being beaten up by your sim!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    RobbyCRobbyC Posts: 4 New Member
    Typically, I do parties for seasonal holidays.
    For Winter, I do family Christmas parties for exchanging gifts and serving food.
    For Summer, I do pool parties.
    Fall typically involves Trick Or Treating for its respective holiday.
    Spring is usually any time of party.

At other times, I like to do Skating Parties at the skating rink or parties at the bowling alley. Those parties typically involve playing music is Old School jams, Dance/Techno, Freestyle, etc.. These are some of my more favorite parties.
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    I rarely throw parties and only do so if my sims throw a wish for one. If the party is at home than I'll decorate and get the right party gear. If I pick a venue I usually leave it alone but sometimes I edit it too if it's missing something for the party. There is of course music and food for everyone to enjoy.

Now since I don't trust my ability to throw ground-breaking parties I always have the legendary host lifetime reward. So far, it hasn't failed me.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Loved a lot of these because they had things I didn't know for how to tweak the outcome.

I find that in the game as in life, throwing parties takes a lot of money for all those nice things that make it fun.

I try to have a bubble station, because Party people love that and it shows you who not to invite next time by who is intolerant of it being there.

Money makes food easy too, in real life as well as the game: just have it catered with a magical self- filling buffet table.

Activities like billiards or a pool table are great too.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg