Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lunar Cycle Features

Aside from transforming werewolves, what should lunar cycles do?

My thoughts:
Make Sims with erratic trait act even more erratic
Give spellcasters a magic boost
Make surgeries less successful for both vets and doctors
Make more all points bulletin or patrolling go intense for detectives
Increase hauntedness of haunted residential lots
Make the elementals of Sulani appear more
Something something moodlet about menstrual cycles and moon blood
Fishing or swimming at beaches gives extra moodlet about the high tides. Maybe a chance of under toe?

Comments

• KokoaMilkKokoaMilk Posts: 267 Member
    Absolutely give a boost to harvest and gardening!

IRL lunar cycle is followed to know when it is proper time to plant, harvest or prune plants & fields. This might be a cool future
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    If we get lunar cycles as a base game feature (or inside a werewolf pack, for example), I wonder how that would work for people (like me) who do not use Seasons. :confused: I guess it would have to be based on a certain number of sim-days or something so that it would work regardless of how individual players choose to measure the in-world passage of sim time. If so, I'll sure miss being able to see a full moon at any time, usually whenever I want one for a screenshot. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    If so, I'll sure miss being able to see a full moon at any time, usually whenever I want one for a screenshot. :lol:
    We have a weather machine in Seasons. Aside from weather, it could also change the season itself. Maybe it could be used to control the lunar cycle, or we'll get something that can alter it. I know I'd love that for story-telling purposes, like having a witch sabotage a werewolf's political career by having them wolf-out on live TV.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    We have a cheat to change the seasons plus toggle choices, and mermaids and the weather machine can change the weather. I'm sure we can see modify our moon when necessary!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    We have a cheat to change the seasons plus toggle choices, and mermaids and the weather machine can change the weather. I'm sure we can see modify our moon when necessary!

The phases of the moon are not dependent on seasons and do not affect seasons, it's just the way it moves around the Earth. So it could be set to display a different phase each evening. This way we could have a full moon every eight days. But I am not sure I will like to deal with werewolves every eight sim days if they are obnoxious.

10a_1.png?1515777345

edited May 2022
    Gordy wrote: »
    If so, I'll sure miss being able to see a full moon at any time, usually whenever I want one for a screenshot. :lol:
    We have a weather machine in Seasons. Aside from weather, it could also change the season itself. Maybe it could be used to control the lunar cycle, or we'll get something that can alter it. I know I'd love that for story-telling purposes, like having a witch sabotage a werewolf's political career by having them wolf-out on live TV.

Yes, I understand that there's a weather machine and weather cheats, etc in Seasons. But I was wondering specifically about how the moon cycle itself might be handled without Seasons. Many of us don't have that EP at all, a number of us by choice. I'm sure being able to change moon cycles in Seasons would be cool and all, but those of us without that pack wouldn't be able to use it anyway. :wink:
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,656 Member
    edited May 2022
    -Lunar cycles should make spellcasters and vampires more powerful.

-During certain times of the cycle make it more likely, or less likely to be abducted by aliens.

-Have the cycles affect pregnancy chances, and possibly influence the outcomes.

-Have it affect herbalism for non-spellcasters. Also have them influence gardening too.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,656 Member
    KokoaMilk wrote: »
    Absolutely give a boost to harvest and gardening!

IRL lunar cycle is followed to know when it is proper time to plant, harvest or prune plants & fields. This might be a cool future

We're on the same wavelength.🙂
    Yes, I understand that there's a weather machine and weather cheats, etc in Seasons. But I was wondering specifically about how the moon cycle itself might be handled without Seasons. Many of us don't have that EP at all, a number of us by choice. I'm sure being able to change moon cycles in Seasons would be cool and all, but those of us without that pack wouldn't be able to use it anyway. :wink:
    As bad as EA can be, they wouldn't tie a core game mechanic to a completely different pack, so non-Seasons simmers should be fine. My guess is that they follow an 8-day moon cycle (similar to Sims 3's lunar cycle) that you can track with the in-game calendar. Or the moon's state is fixed for each day, so every Wednesday will have a full moon.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    As bad as EA can be, they wouldn't tie a core game mechanic to a completely different pack, so non-Seasons simmers should be fine. My guess is that they follow an 8-day moon cycle (similar to Sims 3's lunar cycle) that you can track with the in-game calendar. Or the moon's state is fixed for each day, so every Wednesday will have a full moon.

That makes sense, and it seems in line with what I was thinking. I didn't play Sims 3 long enough to know anything about its lunar cycles, so thanks for the extra insight about that. :)
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Aside from transforming werewolves, what should lunar cycles do?

My thoughts:

No thanks to that unless I can turn it off.

I could get behind all the rest though. I'm particularly happy for my witches that the moon cycle is probably coming.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

This is some cross pack play that absolutely needs to be included! And possibly allow mermaids to mess with it also?
    Maybe the tides are high during a new or full moon, so they can use their powers without losing any Hydration. The duration of their effects could last longer and, if they want to really have some fun, they could get an additional power of some sort.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • BL5036BL5036 Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2022
    Maybe we could have the trait unlucky and we would have low chance of succeeding in what we do
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    When the calendar became base game, I was thinking that it meant they were working on lunar cycles and therefore werewolves. But that was the cottage living patch, so long ago. Maybe it didn't have any to do with werewolves. I do expect that we will be able to see the moon phase in the calendar.

If we can change the moon phase, I expect this to be possible for any player with the new pack, not just seasons owners. I hope we can also set the length of the lunar cycle in the options, similar to choosing the length of the season.

I like the ideas posted so far and hope that the lunar cycle (if we get one) will have effects on other Sims as well.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I don't think too hard about what features should do. I like to see what they give us 😌 but if we were to get lunar cycle (which would be totally cool)
    They SHOULD raise hordes of zombies. 🧟‍♂️ optionally of course.

We already have calendars as base game, nails category for claws. All is setup 😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

Hard pass on this, but everything else sounds great.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Perhaps a trait where your Sim could be affected by the phases of the moon to be more emotional. People would be more likely to die of emotional stuff, but at the same time it would be an optional challenge.

Special events happening at night to do with the phases of the moon. Maybe if you have Paranormal the Ghosties would be affected by it?

And it would be marked in your calender, of course.

The moon in the sky would wax and wane appropriately.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Hard pass on this, but everything else sounds great.

Ok ok. Maybe Sims fertility is increased at certain times in the lunar cycle. Maybe that's a little more comfortable for players.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited May 2022
    I'm not sure that Maxis will add lunar cycles.

San Myshuno backdrop is always a full moon day and night.

Noon full moon

k5pd6zulzkbt.jpg
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    maybe Spellcasters powers are weakened during a new moon.

Hm... I mean I suppose this could work for the Sims. But with spellcasting irl, different types of spells work best under different moon types Including the New Moon which is a great time to practice manifestation. So it would make more sense if it's certain classes of magic that are weakened by specific moon phases. (ie maybe mischief magic could be weakened during the New Moon, but elevated during the full moon)
  • Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    maybe Spellcasters powers are weakened during a new moon.

Hm... I mean I suppose this could work for the Sims. But with spellcasting irl, different types of spells work best under different moon types Including the New Moon which is a great time to practice manifestation. So it would make more sense if it's certain classes of magic that are weakened by specific moon phases. (ie maybe mischief magic could be weakened during the New Moon, but elevated during the full moon)

Or maybe the Medium skill is tied to the moon phases.
  • KokoaMilkKokoaMilk Posts: 267 Member
    The trailer showed different phases of the moon so I really hope lunar cycle is coming!
  • AlpacapybaraAlpacapybara Posts: 32 Member
    Its Confirmed actually, says so on the website