Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 on Windows 11

Hello Everyone,

So, I am planning on buying a windows computer. I wanted to know if it is possible to play the Sims 3 on Windows 11?
If so, will the Sims 3 Store items work as well when I am downloading the items or worlds to my game?

Side note: I am thinking about purchasing the HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 13.5” 3K2K OLED Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Evo Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 1TB SSD + 32GB Intel Optane.

The process model: Intel 11th Generation Core i7 Evo Platform
The graphics: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

Comments

• movefan89movefan89 Posts: 60 Member
    Hey, I play on windows 11 and it works fine. Custom and store items should work too as I’ve had no troubles with them. My pc is a hp all in one.
  • texanskytexansky Posts: 1,347 Member
    edited May 2022
    @nessatay1920
    I just bought a custom HP laptop for gaming. It has Windows 11. Make sure to NOT set up OneDrive (or at least exempt your Electronic Arts folder) or it will mess with your documents folder. If you take a lot of screenshots, it can fill OneDrive quickly, and that can cause syncing issues.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 1650 video card, with 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 3.3 GHz processor.

I installed everything fresh because, duh, new laptop. :lol: I have all my settings set to max and it runs great. I couldn't play my Legacy game on my previous laptop because I couldn't use all of the expansion packs, and I used ALL of them on my desktop computer to play that game.

I've only seen the Error 12 once, and that was because I had spent a lot of time using different colors and patterns while creating a wardrobe for a Sim in Stylist. I had to load a previous save, and when I changed the wardrobe without customizing every single outfit, I was able to save the game fine, and haven't had a problem since. I tend to match the shoes with the outfit and use patterns not typical for clothing for a unique look. You get the idea.

The only problem I have had with the store is when I am unable to sign in on the Launcher. And that is always an issue with the store itself that I just have to wait out.

My understanding is that the i9 12th gen processor does not play nice with Sims 3, so don't even consider that. Someone said they are working on it, but until I see an actual fix available, I won't be touching that processor in the future. I gravitate toward AMD processors anyway, because we build our own desktop computers.

Sorry for being a bit long-winded.
  • nessatay1920nessatay1920 Posts: 459 Member
    texansky wrote: »
    @nessatay1920
    I just bought a custom HP laptop for gaming. It has Windows 11. Make sure to NOT set up OneDrive (or at least exempt your Electronic Arts folder) or it will mess with your documents folder. If you take a lot of screenshots, it can fill OneDrive quickly, and that can cause syncing issues.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 1650 video card, with 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 3.3 GHz processor.

I installed everything fresh because, duh, new laptop. :lol: I have all my settings set to max and it runs great. I couldn't play my Legacy game on my previous laptop because I couldn't use all of the expansion packs, and I used ALL of them on my desktop computer to play that game.

I've only seen the Error 12 once, and that was because I had spent a lot of time using different colors and patterns while creating a wardrobe for a Sim in Stylist. I had to load a previous save, and when I changed the wardrobe without customizing every single outfit, I was able to save the game fine, and haven't had a problem since. I tend to match the shoes with the outfit and use patterns not typical for clothing for a unique look. You get the idea.

The only problem I have had with the store is when I am unable to sign in on the Launcher. And that is always an issue with the store itself that I just have to wait out.

My understanding is that the i9 12th gen processor does not play nice with Sims 3, so don't even consider that. Someone said they are working on it, but until I see an actual fix available, I won't be touching that processor in the future. I gravitate toward AMD processors anyway, because we build our own desktop computers.

Sorry for being a bit long-winded.

@texansky I appreciate your feedback! This helped me out tremendously! So, it will still be an issue when it comes to signing in on the launcher, but with downloading from the store, it will be fine which is perfect. I used to have the sims 3 on my Mac but I was not able to download anything from the store that I purchased nor sign in on the launcher. That’s why I decided to get the windows laptop.

Thank you so much! :)
    movefan89 wrote: »
    Hey, I play on windows 11 and it works fine. Custom and store items should work too as I’ve had no troubles with them. My pc is a hp all in one.

@movefan89 thank you so much for letting me know! I appreciate this! Super excited!
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Win 11 and TS3 are a great combination. But I have read the TS3 does not start with Intel's newest 12th gen processors.

@nessatray1920
    @texansky I appreciate your feedback! This helped me out tremendously! So, it will still be an issue when it comes to signing in on the launcher, but with downloading from the store, it will be fine which is perfect. I used to have the sims 3 on my Mac but I was not able to download anything from the store that I purchased nor sign in on the launcher. That’s why I decided to get the windows laptop.

To clarify, if you are not able to sign in on the launcher, it is because the Sims 3 website is not working at that time. This means that downloading from the store will not be available until they resolve the issue with the website so you can log in.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Same here as with several other folks. I run it on Win 11 just fine.
    @nessatray1920

To clarify, if you are not able to sign in on the launcher, it is because the Sims 3 website is not working at that time. This means that downloading from the store will not be available until they resolve the issue with the website so you can log in.

@texansky thank you!
    Win 11 and TS3 are a great combination. But I have read the TS3 does not start with Intel's newest 12th gen processors.

@alanmichael1 Oh no! Well hopefully it will work with mine…
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited May 2022
    @nessatray1920

@nessatray1920

@texansky thank you!

You don't need to login by the launcher just go to the Sims 3 Store website login there and download directly. The launcher login has always been buggy.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • virtualvivivirtualvivi Posts: 3 New Member
    > @texansky said:
    > @nessatay1920
    > I just bought a custom HP laptop for gaming. It has Windows 11. Make sure to NOT set up OneDrive (or at least exempt your Electronic Arts folder) or it will mess with your documents folder. If you take a lot of screenshots, it can fill OneDrive quickly, and that can cause syncing issues.
    >
    > I have an Nvidia GeForce 1650 video card, with 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 3.3 GHz processor.
    >
    > I installed everything fresh because, duh, new laptop. :lol: I have all my settings set to max and it runs great. I couldn't play my Legacy game on my previous laptop because I couldn't use all of the expansion packs, and I used ALL of them on my desktop computer to play that game.
    >
    > I've only seen the Error 12 once, and that was because I had spent a lot of time using different colors and patterns while creating a wardrobe for a Sim in Stylist. I had to load a previous save, and when I changed the wardrobe without customizing every single outfit, I was able to save the game fine, and haven't had a problem since. I tend to match the shoes with the outfit and use patterns not typical for clothing for a unique look. You get the idea.
    >
    > The only problem I have had with the store is when I am unable to sign in on the Launcher. And that is always an issue with the store itself that I just have to wait out.
    >
    > My understanding is that the i9 12th gen processor does not play nice with Sims 3, so don't even consider that. Someone said they are working on it, but until I see an actual fix available, I won't be touching that processor in the future. I gravitate toward AMD processors anyway, because we build our own desktop computers.
    >
    > Sorry for being a bit long-winded.

Do you know if there's a way to unlink the Electronic Arts folder from OneDrive? I accidentally had it sync my entire documents folder (I'm also a writer so I like those documents to be accessible from my phone)
    edited October 2022
    @virtualvivi
    Please keep in mind that I turned this off immediately, so I never had any files or folders going to OneDrive on my new laptop. However, Microsoft provides instructions on how to do this. I am only providing the information they made available and combining it with my pre-2006 background in computer support to try to make it easier to understand. I have not personally followed these instructions.

First, make a backup of your Electronic Arts folder (copy and paste to your desktop, a thumb drive, or an external drive). I'm not sure what this quote I emphasized below means, but I would back up before doing anything to be safe.

Choose which OneDrive folders to sync to your computer - Click here for the instructions on Microsoft's website.

Microsoft said:
    If you uncheck a folder you are syncing to your computer, the folder will be removed from your computer. The folder and its contents will still be available online.

Under #4 - Choose folders:
    There is a right arrow next to the Documents folder. If you click this to open the My Documents folder, you should be able to uncheck specific folders you don't want to back up to the cloud. It also says "Unselected folders will be hidden from File Explorer." I hope this means that they will be hidden from File Explorer in the OneDrive folder and NOT from File Explorer completely.

If they are hidden completely, it will take someone with more knowledge than myself to explain how to fix that issue. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Good luck! And share if it does anything different than what I provided here in case I misunderstood anything.
  • virtualvivivirtualvivi Posts: 3 New Member
    @texansky

unfortunately, it means that it's hidden from your PCs file explorer and is only available on OneDrive :( thank you for trying though!