Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University refresh

I really hope Discover University is going to get a refresh (Even then I don’t think it will help too much) yeah it’s got some cool Build mode but the game play is so dull it’s just wake up go to class come home study sleep repeat no Greek life no party's (unless you throw them) no graduation just a really bad pack.

Comments

• JALJAL Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited April 2022
    I wouldn't mind a refresh. I think Dine out needs one more, but University has a lot of potential that could be explored.

* More diverse studies with homework and final tasks that - at least some of the time - is tied to the subject for example paint a certain type of painting or go to a painting class (for art students), read and analyse a particular book or write a book (for language students), make a microchip, cook a meal, plant something...

* Make course books a necessity for passing, instead of the free homework booklets you get. Let the homework be reading the course book (as it would be). They should also be available in libraries for students with less money (as should all skill books). That way it would be more like the universities in Europe on which Britechester is based.

* Allow kitchens in dorms. Again this is common in many places in Europe where a dorm is a place where you share a kitchen and common area with the others.

* Allow for more varied Guest Lectures that covers all possible jobs in game, not just the ones in the pack.

* Add thermostats in all dorms and university buildings when seasons is installed.

* Merge the university club feature with the GT club feature when that is installed so that you can create your own clubs - where university student, Foxbury student or Britechester student is a trait you can use for membership, and university activities such as read homework, work on term paper, prepare a presentation could be activities.

* Make football an afterschool activity for children and teens as well (with hours and activity that fits the age group), add more afterschool activities in general (debate team, drama club, e-sport, school paper...) that then could have an impact on how easy it is to get into University or which scholarships you could get.

* Make it possible to not get accepted if your grades are too low, with the possibility of taking classes to up your skills so that you can get in

* Make riding a bike a skill that can be taught to children

* Make riding a bike something you can do together

* Create graduation party event

* Make it so that some careers are locked to those without a degree (doctor, scientist, education, astronaut...) - or that you can only reach a certain level without a degree (you can become a gardener and continue towards florist, but the botany branch would require a biology degree). Other careers such as entertainment, athlete or chef would like today just offer a jumpstart if you have a degree, but not require one.

* Add a bit more crazyness with the kegs- now they give a moodlet, but let that moodlet lead to autonomous actions or whims that are followed autonomously sometimes. Not the normal sim obsessive way, but things that happens every now and again. Like streaking, making out with a stranger, telling lots of (bad) jokes, starting a fight... let there be randomness to what happens and how often, creating some spontaneity in the game.

* Allow for holidays off if seasons is installed - so that students don't have lectures on wintersfest or new years. Let holidays be holidays for students too.

* Make the length of semesters be customizable or at least tied to lifespan - so that it's shorter on short lifespan than on long.

I'm sure there are many more suggestions to be made.
    Post edited by JAL on
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    My own wishes for an eventual DU refresh would be the following :
    - Add the careers that are missing diplomas (really, that seems like just an oversight)
    - Let children ride bikes (and learn to ride them)
    - Add more clubs for teenagers, like debate club, school newspaper and soccer team, so they can work on that and get scholarships
    - Make some classes active, where you will do activities specific to what you are studying.
    - Make some career levels locked unless you have a diploma (I wouldn't make it the whole career, as some people would forget why it's not showing up in choices).
    - Make the Commons lots more alive somehow, so that sims who hang out there will do things (yeah, I should probably make clubs for that since it's an AI issue and unlikely to change unless they manage to do something about it with basegame, but it's worse on the Commons lots in my game)
    - Maybe add a graduation party social event (for both uni and highschool, perhaps?)
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    -Britechester students can have a real dragon
    -Semesters are shorter, so university isn't completely inferior to playing a regular sim's adult life
    -More scholarship opportunities
    -A proper fraternity/sorority system
    -Interactive classes. Artists can go outside and sketch things, time can be spent studying, pulling pranks or chatting with other students
    -More pranks (but also, a way to diffuse pranks other people have set up)
    -Lighten up on the homework, so we have more time for extra-curricular activities and organizations
    -Add more interaction and drama between the groups.
    -And give us more. We only have a choice of 4, because six of the seven groups depend on which school you go to.
    -More random events. Have your sim catch the other university's students going after your school. Streaking, parties, fights, protests. Make the world feel more alive and give us more things to get in on.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • brookiepeoplesbrookiepeoples Posts: 11 New Member
    Agree with all of the above. I especially miss the Greek system, even though I make my own with clubs. But even so, it is too hard to let my students have much of a social life because homework takes so dang long. XD

I also love the idea of adding more after school activities for teens/children so they can start building skills for college. Especially debate and sports since they came with the pack! :)
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    This college-themed EP needs a college rock or a geek rock radio station now!
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a refresh. I think Dine out needs one more, but University has a lot of potential that could be explored.

* More diverse studies with homework and final tasks that - at least some of the time - is tied to the subject for example paint a certain type of painting or go to a painting class (for art students), read and analyse a particular book or write a book (for language students), make a microchip, cook a meal, plant something...

* Make course books a necessity for passing, instead of the free homework booklets you get. Let the homework be reading the course book (as it would be). They should also be available in libraries for students with less money (as should all skill books). That way it would be more like the universities in Europe on which Britechester is based.

* Allow kitchens in dorms. Again this is common in many places in Europe where a dorm is a place where you share a kitchen and common area with the others.

* Allow for more varied Guest Lectures that covers all possible jobs in game, not just the ones in the pack.

* Add thermostats in all dorms and university buildings when seasons is installed.

* Merge the university club feature with the GT club feature when that is installed so that you can create your own clubs - where university student, Foxbury student or Britechester student is a trait you can use for membership, and university activities such as read homework, work on term paper, prepare a presentation could be activities.

* Make football an afterschool activity for children and teens as well (with hours and activity that fits the age group), add more afterschool activities in general (debate team, drama club, e-sport, school paper...) that then could have an impact on how easy it is to get into University or which scholarships you could get.

* Make it possible to not get accepted if your grades are too low, with the possibility of taking classes to up your skills so that you can get in

* Make it so that some careers are locked to those without a degree (doctor, scientist, education, astronaut...) - or that you can only reach a certain level without a degree (you can become a gardener and continue towards florist, but the botany branch would require a biology degree). Other careers such as entertainment, athlete or chef would like today just offer a jumpstart if you have a degree, but not require one.

* Add a bit more crazyness with the kegs- now they give a moodlet, but let that moodlet lead to autonomous actions or whims that are followed autonomously sometimes. Not the normal sim obsessive way, but things that happens every now and again. Like streaking, making out with a stranger, telling lots of (bad) jokes, starting a fight... let there be randomness to what happens and how often, creating some spontaneity in the game.

* Allow for holidays off if seasons is installed - so that students don't have lectures on wintersfest or new years. Let holidays be holidays for students too.

* Make the length of semesters be customizable or at least tied to lifespan - so that it's shorter on short lifespan than on long.

As I don’t like the way university is set up in the first place, I would not like being locked out of a career as Dr. Or Scientist. Besides, people who bought get to work long ago did not have that restriction.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited May 2022

Agreed, but there is already drama club activity in The Sims 4 Get Famous. However, it doesn't have a scholarship and is only there to build acting skill. Pretty forgettable feature that needs improvement.
    Plus it really would be great to see the following about the activities:
    * Activities boost the chance to get into distinguished degrees.
    * Football and e-sport activities will give your sim a headstart in the university version of the activities.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

As I don’t like the way university is set up in the first place, I would not like being locked out of a career as Dr. Or Scientist. Besides, people who bought get to work long ago did not have that restriction.

A toggle would be nice. I have a mod for locking careers and it’s nice but obvs not everyone would want that so having options is great.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• AlpacapybaraAlpacapybara Posts: 32 Member
    doogerie wrote: »
    I really hope Discover University is going to get a refresh (Even then I don’t think it will help too much) yeah it’s got some cool Build mode but the game play is so dull it’s just wake up go to class come home study sleep repeat no Greek life no party's (unless you throw them) no graduation just a really bad pack.

TS3 came and went with a worse University pack so eh, I can survive without it.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I think it needs a refresh because they added a ton of more careers especially something with wellness skill. Also I would like to add more activities.
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    I use mods for half of this stuff. That must be why I like the Uni pack, when I see so many others don't. I had been wondering why people didn't like it. I never liked the Uni packs in the past games, but I enjoy this one. But yeah, if you don't use mods, then the workload is definitely too high, and degrees need to be tied to careers for sure.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    I feel Get to Work needs it more. It's the oldest pack and it shows, retail takes too much time, there's no option for having a shop in a residential lot (family business, shop on the ground floor and living quarters upstairs), aliens could use a skill tree like other occults, Sixam needs lots, the active careers are -still- buggy, there's no burglar NPC and the suspects for police career are random townies (instead of burglars or Sims in the criminal career), medicine could be so much more impactful...
    Happy simming!
    I also think we need to update the homework system to this as well to help build our grade instead doing homework the Sims students should have options to either work the old homework or work on the skill to boost the grades make it more fun in college not just the academic, be invited to parties like in the Sims 3. Do research on stuff also taking notes in class should help with the homework I'm just saying.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I 'd be happy if they would stop dormies from bringing in so much food.
    There should be a counter that stops it after two dishes for that day.
    My own wishes for an eventual DU refresh would be the following :
    - Add the careers that are missing diplomas (really, that seems like just an oversight)
    - Let children ride bikes (and learn to ride them)
    - Add more clubs for teenagers, like debate club, school newspaper and soccer team, so they can work on that and get scholarships
    - Make some classes active, where you will do activities specific to what you are studying.
    - Make some career levels locked unless you have a diploma (I wouldn't make it the whole career, as some people would forget why it's not showing up in choices).
    - Make the Commons lots more alive somehow, so that sims who hang out there will do things (yeah, I should probably make clubs for that since it's an AI issue and unlikely to change unless they manage to do something about it with basegame, but it's worse on the Commons lots in my game)
    - Maybe add a graduation party social event (for both uni and highschool, perhaps?)

Yes! Use clubs, it really helps bring the place alive, especially if you are playing groups of Uni students rotating between terms.
    It's nice to see my last rotation of sims and their dorm-mates hanging out at the commons when I am playing the current rotation.
    I was really surprised how uninspired the Student Commons were.
    09_25_20_11_24_41_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I never enjoyed sending my sims there. It was mainly good for a bite to eat.
    Why aren't there Ping Pong tables in the Britechester commons? Those came with the pack.
    09_27_20_10_26_46_AM.png

I have some really great custom dorms on the Britechester campus, so there isn't much need to hangout in the commons.
    But I also have another dorm I enjoy off-campus. It would really be nice to have a great commons for my off-campus to hang out between classes. It would really help with immersion for my off-campus students.

So I built my own, using the original commons as a base.
    I also wanted it to look more like the rest of the campus.
    09_26_20_8_23_21_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

1st floor, cafeteria and student lounge for socializing and debates.
    Plus an additional rest room.
    09_27_20_10_34_45_AM.png

09_27_20_10_33_44_PM.png

2nd floor.
    -West: Study area
    -Center: Chess, poetry reading and comedy routines, desk for homework
    -East: Game room, plus easels for art students.
    09_27_20_10_34_27_AM.png

11_22_20_4_37_51_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Basement
    -Bowling ally, and a bar that does not get a mixologist NPC
    09_27_20_10_35_36_AM.png

Bowling did not come with University, but I feel it should have. Probably because I used it so much in TS3 University.
    09_27_20_10_39_24_AM.png

I need to do the same for the Foxbury commons which seem even more desolate to me.

Funny side note:
    Somehow, Britechester was given a conservation NAP, so my sims were without power for 12 hours.
    The commons turned out to be very useful other things to do while the power was off. Plus, other Uni students from the clubs showed up. I just wish I had put in a shower. I made them wash their hands and brush their teeth for hygiene.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2022
    One of the problems I had was why were adults there I know we have mature students IRL but they don’t really live in halls and stuff overall I found the Discover University EP to be a shell of what I should have been I mean we didn’t eve have graduation or any society's or even student cafes or Frats or student nights in night clubs ( something that also needs an over hall.) it was jus so poor.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    DU really does need an update the pack is just so empty seeing as they could not be bothered to add in actual classes the gameplay outside of class itself should have been there which it's not. They really should have improved parties/nightclubs and added in a fraternity/sorority system this also would have been the pack if any to create an interesting active world and that did not happen either.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    I think the reason is we have stuff like I went to a lounge and walked upon poetry and tea and I'm like oh cool but sim got up and did poetry but there was no tea and this was during the week after they were done with classes my thing is If we have stuff like that in uni then why aren't we notified by either a notification or put it on the calendar of what to do in uni besides going to classes and doing homework. The only time we actually get notified is during the weekend okay what about during the week, we should or probably do have something but we aren't notified at all. At least I'm not.
    doogerie wrote: »
    One of the problems I had was why were adults there I know we have mature students IRL but they don’t really live in halls and stuff overall I found the Discover University EP to be a shell of what I should have been I mean we didn’t eve have graduation or any society's or even student cafes or Frats or student nights in night clubs ( something that also needs an over hall.) it was jus so poor.

I actually like seeing adults and elders at university they need a higher education as well, I also see teens there as well makes me think they are checking out the schools to go to.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Out of interest, which expansion/game packs sold the least copies? There's no incentive to refresh something everyone already owns, but the refresh probably motivated a fair few people to pick up Spa Day.

I'm not sure what I'd add to university, except maybe a couple more things like the debate and soccer teams.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    Out of interest, which expansion/game packs sold the least copies? There's no incentive to refresh something everyone already owns, but the refresh probably motivated a fair few people to pick up Spa Day.

I'm not sure what I'd add to university, except maybe a couple more things like the debate and soccer teams.

I believe there is a soccer team but it's all rabbit hole experience.
  • KokoaMilkKokoaMilk Posts: 267 Member

Journey to Batuu and Wedding pack.
    The first got the worst result when released: I remember that on the youtube channel of The Sims the trailer had more dislikes than likes and the critics were hard on it.
    The second, well, we all know how buggy it was when released.
    Lots of people who checked the twitch stream before the release and saw all the disasters coming decided not to buy it unless it was fixed.

So I guess those two are the two packs that went the worst