Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Space heaters

Does anyone know if the space heaters heat up a whole floor, or just one room?

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    I think it's just one room. I have placed them on patios and my sims didn't have to wander very far to lose the warming effects.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Okay thank you!! :smile:
    Hold the phone, I had a brain fart. I was thinking of the big stand heater. I haven't used that space heater from Snowy escape, but looking at it, I'd still say it won't heat an entire floor.
    edited April 2022
    I did a quick play test. My sim lost the happy moodlet from the heater at about 5 or 6 tiles away.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    It's not even enough to heat an entire room unless it's either in the center of the room or it's a small room. It effects a radius of 4 tiles, the same as the Dine Out outdoor heat lamp.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    it's only 4 tiles? Lol. Okay, I guess I will just put central heating. I was trying to add some fireplaces and heaters to make it a more cozy house, but the sims keep complaining of how cold they are. Thanks for the help!
    @Elliandre, that is radius, so it's 8 tiles in total width (which isn't all that small)
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    how far do the fireplaces heat?
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
    edited April 2022
    @joRN1414, They have a radius of 15

I said "tiles" above, but I'm pretty sure broadcaster radius is in meters, and a tile may be slightly less than 1 meter, so the radii I'm giving above are going to be more than that in tiles if that is the case. I personally always felt 1 tile = 1 meter, but I've seen people insist it's less than that. The most common numbers I've seen are 0.6 and 0.91 meters...based on the size of things like doors/beds/etc.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    The Snowy Escape room heaters are life drag enabled, so in a pinch you can move them where you need them to.
    I felt like I should also return to this thread and point out that none of these work around corners or through walls either. They require line-of-sight, in addition to having the range I already indicated.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    @stormkeep Thank you
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    how far do the fireplaces heat?

They don't. They're more for atmosphere and a cozy effect. I know, I tried to use them without placing a thermostat in the house. My Sims were all dressed in their heaviest winter clothing, as a result. Br.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited April 2022
    @GalacticGal, yes they do. How your sims dress is beside the point. Sims stay in cold weather outfits when coming indoors with a thermostat too if you don't use mods to fix it...there's just bad coding for the outfit changes.

Stormkeep wrote: »
    @GalacticGal, yes they do. How your sims dress is beside the point. Sims stay in cold weather outfits when coming indoors with a thermostat too if you don't use mods to fix it...there's just bad coding for the outfit changes.

Indeed? That's actually good news to me. I have an ancestral game save that is set in the 18th century. They only had fireplaces to keep warm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    edited April 2022
    @Galacticgal, you'd need a lot of fireplaces to completely replace the thermostats...something to keep in mind. So you'd want to use one in every room, or use CC versions of the Snowy Escape space heaters (in a suitable lower-tech style) to supplement the fireplaces.
    Let me see, generally there was one in the kitchen. Certainly there was one in the Keeping Room. I would expect one in the living room, too. And I know I've placed them in bedrooms. Castles also need a lot of fireplaces. They don't call them drafty for no reason. LOL
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Let me see, generally there was one in the kitchen. Certainly there was one in the Keeping Room. I would expect one in the living room, too. And I know I've placed them in bedrooms. Castles also need a lot of fireplaces. They don't call them drafty for no reason. LOL

One thing I did in a sort of historic renovation I did to Waterlock Redoubt in Windenberg (the Behr residence) was I put a fireplace on either end of the ground floor and using moveobjects cheat, another exactly in the same spot above (so using the same chimney) one either end, upstairs. That warmed both upstairs bedrooms, and downstairs, both the kitchen/mess hall, and the other space that was the modern-day living room.

@Elliandre another solution I've done for that cozy historic feel if you're not going back to hearths only, is use the iron radiators from the Vampire pack, with a mod that makes them actually work. I love the mods that turn the plethora of useless decorative objects that ought to work but don't, in Sims4, into the useful objects they were in previous packs, or else should be regardless.

My sims could then warm themselves in front of the radiator and get "the warm and fuzzies" which is very real if you've ever lived in a house with functional radiators, they are wonderful.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Yes I have a very large drafty vampire castle :joy: central heating doesn't fit. I appreciate all the advice here so much.

@ignominiusrex I had a little radiator along my apartment wall since it was quite an old building, it was definitely cozy and I could dry my winter hats and mitts on them just like in olden times lol
    Elliandre wrote: »
    Yes I have a very large drafty vampire castle :joy: central heating doesn't fit. I appreciate all the advice here so much.

@ignominiusrex I had a little radiator along my apartment wall since it was quite an old building, it was definitely cozy and I could dry my winter hats and mitts on them just like in olden times lol

Any self respecting vampire will use a fire place, just ask Vlad. He'll tell you is his day, which is still technically today, the undead won't hold with central heating. That's for the victims, er....living.
    edited April 2022
    There's a radiator decorative object in the Vampire game pack and several different modders have released mods which make it functional for actual heat. My preference is the one from ChippedSims, because that also adds several other radiator varieties in addition to making the vampire pack one functional.

My vampire's home is heated by a combination of fireplaces in the largest rooms and the radiators in some of the smaller rooms. With no heat at all in the smallest rooms (such as bathrooms) because sims don't spend enough time in those for heat to be needed.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Interesting philosophical question: would vampires get cold?

@mightysprite, I think not. But, you know how regular people have refrigerators to keep their food fresh? Vampires heat their homes for similiar reasons.
    @mightysprite That is an excellent point!! I think not. Maybe I should just start giving my vampires the iceproof trait.. but if they are married to a human Sim then the house will need some heat I think.
    @Stormkeep my vampire's human guests are beloved friends and family, not just ONLY food :joy:
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @joRN1414, They have a radius of 15

I said "tiles" above, but I'm pretty sure broadcaster radius is in meters, and a tile may be slightly less than 1 meter, so the radii I'm giving above are going to be more than that in tiles if that is the case. I personally always felt 1 tile = 1 meter, but I've seen people insist it's less than that. The most common numbers I've seen are 0.6 and 0.91 meters...based on the size of things like doors/beds/etc.

Going by dimensions given in TS1 build mode, 1 square = 9 square feet = 3 feet/side. I don't know if EA changed that. I do know that when I did a build my own flat/apartment experiment the 3 feet to a side came out very close.