Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods yay or nay

Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
So how do you like to play your game? I saw a post on another forum and wanted to get opinions here for 2022 since the games been out so long (last one I saw on here was 2013). Do you play your game with no mods, limited mods or heavy mods?

****Let me reiterate when I put, " gotta have them all", I was joking. I assure you I don't believe people who heavily mod their game have to have all of them (I guess I'm kind of a Pokemon nerd too so I added something in there that fell flat and my apologies for that).

That being said

Please carry-on...
"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
Post edited by Noree_Doree on

Mods yay or nay 160 votes

No Mods (Vanilla)
7%
Evalennickibitswardpisceschick75GrumpyOldWomanDarkLady2788AnthonydyerSimmer2500EricasFreePlaySERVERFRAMread1Calico45Eleri 12 votes
Limited Mods (only mods like overwatch, error trap, Smooth patch, etc)
35%
BluegayleEvvieSimmercarlystur03cianebklienhartMariefoxprice83simgirl1010MagdaleenaCororonNinoosimairotciv54tallcooloneTasaarbestfrienemies14duhboy2u2Felicityspankenstein89graventheBettyboop55viola-illyria 56 votes
Heavy Mods (Gotta have them ALL)
42%
canitbemanEmily4331ZhakiraPGraceyManorhaneulParydst193lizzielilyyBluelleSxcDannii202MikezumiTorieemorrillmlmeadowsjillbgpeterskywalkerlisasc360Carmineprincess0384milly001 68 votes
Other
15%
LaBlue0314Rflong7GothangelApparentlyAwesomeBlackSandmw1525IreneSwiftwendyyi1Noree_DoreeHopeCrashEndUserpuzzlezaddictIVXXXVISimmingalSleepstarVailsSimSpockignominiusrexChaotic_MoiraLIL_Lilly 24 votes

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Although I chose Heavy Mods, I have never felt the need to "have them all". I use a lot of mods which I have been adding over the years and which I have been very selective about. I have read of many mods that I would never even consider for my game.
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    My game is quite heavily modded, but like Mikezumi said, I don’t see the need to have ALL the mods. Much of my custom content is actually custom clothing, hair, furniture etc rather than gameplay mods.

I do have the mods you listed under “Limited Mods”, but aside from those, I feel many of my other mods are quality-of-life improvements rather than bug fixes. E.g. NRaas MasterController Cheats helps me skill up my Sims quickly, the “bring a serving” mod helps make sure my households eat together etc.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited April 2022
    I have a lot of mods. Some to eradicate stupid EA behaviour, some to enhance it, and others just because, however I don't feel the need to have all mods. Just ones that I think will make my game more enjoyable.

Edit - those are only gameplay mods. Custom Content ie. Clothes, Hair etc, I have plenty of as well, but I'm usually quite discerning in what I download. I've seen exploded meshes and whatnot before, and would prefer to avoid that kind of thing :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Diam0nd_LightDiam0nd_Light Posts: 3 New Member
    I consider myself a timid *mod* user (specific to The Sims 3) because I like to make-believe EA's original game is the way it is intended to be played? And yet, when the launcher repeatedly annoys me with logo adverters (then nointro & nointromaxis *mods* to the rescue).

Or when game bloat occurs (then save me Overwatch *mod* from the 1,020 abandoned cars).
    Sometimes my detective mind seeks to know what animation is going on under the pixel censor (then Decensor *mod* exposes the truth).
    In March 2022, my first time use of the Dirty No More Changing and Bathing Station had me perplexed as to why a freshly clean baby was followed by a right good dirtying upon the floor! So I had no other choice than to *mod* that vexing bug with Nona_ChangingTable_DontPutDownBaby.

While I voted "Limited Mods," I'm probably somewhere between Vanilla and Limited... for now... as the more I play the more I'll likely mod.
  • SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,143 Member
    I voted heavy mods, but I would say I am more intermediate. I have all the "required" NRAAS mods such as overwatch, etc. and then some, and a few other mods that I think will enhance the gameplay in various ways... but I try, ahem, to not go overboard, though the amount of mods installed is increasing, it seems, at a more or less steady pace..
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Other
    My game is lightly modded.

I like to play creatively with what already exists as a part of the game. The mods I use are generally the ones which helps me expand upon my vision of the worlds and the way in which the Sims are able to function in it.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Mods, yes.But I am particular on what I download since I have had issues in the past.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Depends if you mean just mods, or including cc too. In terms of just mods, I barely have any. Just the basics and that's it.

If we're including cc.. then my game is drowning in it :D I don't like pretty much all of the CAS items in this game and how sims look so pretty much everything is replaced with cc. Furniture I have a ton of Sims 4 conversion items too as I just prefer that style
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    My mods are mainly NRAAS. understandably, I’m starting to cut down on many of the mods created by others as the effects can be recreated mostly by researching what can be done with The various NRAAS modules. Otherwise there are other mods that can’t be named here which I make liberal use of.

I tend to use some mods that make things I do to my sims easy.

I differentiate between mods and cc. For me mods introduce new “command controls” into my game whereas cc just puts new stuff in. So while I’m cutting down on my mods by finding alternate ways to do the same thing through NRAAS thus avoiding conflicts, my cc appears to be steadily increasing.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Other

I don't classify as Limited or Heavy because I simply use the mods that I enjoy the most,
    and don't load mods that don't provide what I am looking for.

My mod usage is the same as my Sims 3 play style ...
    Do whatever you want and don't worry about all the wonderful options you don't use.

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    I played vanilla from June 2009 until Isla Paradise was released. I needed the limited mods mentioned in the OP to play there. I then gradually added extra mods to fix bugs or change annoying behaviour or just because they enhanced my game in some way. I definitely don't have ALL mods. I have taken a few mods out along the way too. Most of my package files are non default skins, hair and clothing. But I do have lots of decor items and some furniture as well.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Other
    If I hadn't started using mods, I would have quit playing years ago. I absolutely hated how long everything took for sims to do relative to how fast time passed for them. Who spends 20 minutes brushing their teeth?! Not me, that's for sure, not even if you add the time it takes to use a Waterpik and mouth rinse after brushing. So the first mod I got was NRaas Relativity. I also hated how the game kept residents constantly moving from one house to another, and moved out residents my sims were in the process of befriending. So NRaas Story Progression was next, along with Overwatch and Error Trap, because my games would always be unplayable after about 12 sim weeks.

I chose Other, because while I have most of the NRaas mods and their modules, I don't even come close to having all the mods out there, nor do I want to. If there's something that's not working the way it should, like sims never, ever being able to win an international cross country equestrian event, no matter how many times they go, if there's a mod for that, I'll look it up, and if the mod's creator explains how they did it, and which XML files they modified, I'll use NRaas Retuner to change them myself. Otherwise I'll download the mod and use it.

There are numerous mods I've tried and removed, because they did things I didn't want in my game, or broke an interaction that is important to me, like when I used a mod that did a lot of things, I don't remember what it's called, but I got it so my singer sim could work part time at a rabbithole until she could make enough from her singing career to buy groceries and pay the bills, only to find out she couldn't slow dance with her new husband at their wedding reception because that particular mod broke slow dancing.
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I chose heavy mods but I don't really use THAT many, lol. When I first started playing, I was sure mods would just mess up the game. I ran into my first problem that I couldn't figure out and came to the forums to find out how to fix it and learned about A L L the mods and now I cannot play without them! It is really incredible how broken this game is without a lot of them!
  • wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    Other
    I chose Other because I'm not a heavy mod user but I have more than just the minimum.
    I use some NRaas mods, but definitely not all.
    I use some mods to fix things that are broken in the game and that EA never bothered to patch.
    I use some mods to un-hide things in CAS, Build/Buy and Buydebug, including the Simport rewards, the group science project, picnic rugs.
    I also have a few other mods such as the random genetics mod and Consort hair mod, which I now consider to be essential
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Other
    I fall somewhere between limited and heavy mod use. I definitely don't need "all" mods or anything close, but I do use NRaas StoryProgression, and that alone is enough to push my mod use past the bare minimum to make the game run smoothly.

I've also added a few mods that change features I don't like but are not strictly necessary, and I use Retuner to prevent certain actions that get on my nerves. Basically any time I find myself repeatedly cursing out my sims for doing something I didn't want, it's time to disallow autonomy for that interaction.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited April 2022
    TS3 doesn't need a whole lot of mods, just things like NRass to keep it running smoothly. Besides, even on an entry-level gaming PC with a separate and decent Nvidia graphics card, TS3 struggles (in fact, this is the first PC I've had that can run it with a half-dozen packs well). Thus, I try to keep mods to a minimum, and only stuff that is actually needed.
    Post edited by cody6268 on
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    Other
    Does CC count? ts3 cas without cc is horror
    I did also play with lots of mods back in ts3 days cause i needed to inject more ways to die for my ugly pixel people
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    Other
    Since I got my new laptop, my Mod Folder have only consisted of NRass mods, and enough for the game to run smoothly without lag
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Other
    StephSteb wrote: »
    I chose heavy mods but I don't really use THAT many, lol. When I first started playing, I was sure mods would just mess up the game. I ran into my first problem that I couldn't figure out and came to the forums to find out how to fix it and learned about A L L the mods and now I cannot play without them! It is really incredible how broken this game is without a lot of them!

I always thought Mods and Custom Content were a no-no because of what I read when people had trouble with them.
    I was also part of a group that thought there was some kind of imaginary special status in not using Mods or Custom Content.

Then I finally broke down and installed a few NRass mods, and discovered how much they did improve the game and game experience,
    followed shortly by adding some Custom Content.

Like @IreneSwift ... I would not still be playing the game if it wasn't for some of the Mods I use.
    The way I originally thought about Mods was silly and unnecessary.

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    @BlackSand Exactly. I could kick myself for not trying them sooner! <3
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I chose limited though I could have comfortably chosen heavy as well. Mods can make Sims 3 run better, so I use the ones that do. That just happens to be a lot of mods.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited April 2022
    Other
    Deleted (Added to original post)
    Post edited by Noree_Doree on
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Other
    I wanted to add how I play. I put other because I don't consider myself fitting specifically either. I use Nraas mods, but I also use some mods to get rid of annoyances or fix issues within the game (Playdate fix, read to sleep fix, no zoom in on Mascot, Etc), The recent smooth patch has been an amazing addition, and there are some I use to challenge myself that I don't necessarily need (Mod to limit income and require your sim have to grocery shop). I've just been curious to see how others play is all. I only played vanilla from launch until about 2016 when I discovered Nraas. That changed a lot for me and I haven't been able to go back to vanilla since. But curiosity still got the best of me. Is it still possible to have a functional vanilla game or does the sims 3 NEED mods to be functional? Thus this survey.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Other

****Let me reiterate when I put, " gotta have them all", I was joking. I assure you I don't believe people who heavily mod their game have to have all of them (I guess I'm kind of a Pokemon nerd too so I added something in there that fell flat and my apologies for that).

That being said

Please carry-on...

It's OK, I still would have chosen "other" because I still don't fit in with either heavy or limited.

• CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have more mods than "limited", but my game is still not "heavily" modded. I chose "limited" because most mods I have just make the game playable and more enjoyable without changing it too much. So I have most NRaas mods, mods that remove the annoying foot tapping and stomping, the load/map/build/buy music and some fixes. And lighting mods. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif