Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting the Sims 2 to work on Windows 10? (DirectX 9.0 Error Message)

dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
edited April 2022 in The Sims 2
Hey guys,
I've been trying for over a year to get my Ultimate Collection to run on my new Windows 10 laptop. I've done every tutorial on youtube available and NOTHING works. I still keep getting that "failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!" error. I don't know what to do anymore and I'm hoping someone will know how to fix this. Thanks in advance <3
Gmmov8T.gif

Comments

• Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Hi,
    So what worked for me was using the Graphic Rules Maker (just google it!) Install it. Then go to your graphics driver program, find out the resolution of the computer, and your frame rate. Next, once installing the graphic rules maker, go to the game files using the program- insert your graphic card info, and the frame rate number. (Note: that number may not be exact, but put it as close as possible to that number.) you have to do it to your recent game installed so for me it is mansion and garden stuff. However, because i have the discs, and made sure the game launched, i did apply it to every EP/SP just in case. Might work on ultimate collection too
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Hi,
    So what worked for me was using the Graphic Rules Maker (just google it!) Install it. Then go to your graphics driver program, find out the resolution of the computer, and your frame rate. Next, once installing the graphic rules maker, go to the game files using the program- insert your graphic card info, and the frame rate number. (Note: that number may not be exact, but put it as close as possible to that number.) you have to do it to your recent game installed so for me it is mansion and garden stuff. However, because i have the discs, and made sure the game launched, i did apply it to every EP/SP just in case. Might work on ultimate collection too

Hi! Thank you for responding! I've already gone through and done this since this was also recommended in a youtube tutorial but the game still wouldn't launch. I would still get the same error message.

Gmmov8T.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hey guys,
    I've been trying for over a year to get my Ultimate Collection to run on my new Windows 10 laptop. I've done every tutorial on youtube available and NOTHING works. I still keep getting that "failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!" error. I don't know what to do anymore and I'm hoping someone will know how to fix this. Thanks in advance <3

See if any of this helps.
    You will have to go over to lee's site and look up problems with the TS2UC with Windows 10. She has posted sgr files for cards that will have to be placed in the config files in the Program files. I can't link it as the site blocks her name due to the of that site. Nothing bad, just overly sensitive censor. It could really help you but look for the list of sgr files for different cards. She created the Graphics' Rule Maker.

It contains the card's SGR files that you may need to place in the program files for your particular card, whatever that may be. If yours isn't in the list it of card SGR file, then there is a link of how to create your own, if you have used and installed Graphics Rule Maker's fixes for your machine.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Hey guys,

See if any of this helps.
    You will have to go over to lee's site and look up problems with the TS2UC with Windows 10. She has posted sgr files for cards that will have to be placed in the config files in the Program files. I can't link it as the site blocks her name due to the of that site. Nothing bad, just overly sensitive censor. It could really help you but look for the list of sgr files for different cards. She created the Graphics' Rule Maker.

It contains the card's SGR files that you may need to place in the program files for your particular card, whatever that may be. If yours isn't in the list it of card SGR file, then there is a link of how to create your own, if you have used and installed Graphics Rule Maker's fixes for your machine.

Hi! I'm unsure who Lee is and tried googling and nothing is coming up. Is there a full website name I can look up? No link needed! Just a name if possible :)

Gmmov8T.gif
    edited April 2022
    Sorry, No. The name is what is censored. Not anything else about that site. There is another thread here where Jules1111 answer the DirectX9 error problem. You may have to search for that here or I will try to link it and set your Config file manually by Hand. The error really has nothing to do with DirectX9 but actually Memory that is listed for your Card in the Config File if I remember the correct information from lee's site.

I believe I had to do this when I switched to Windows 10 a few years ago. I had to type in that file a different amount of Memory. Then it worked.

That's why you need to find the instructions of what to change and where instead of just watching a video that didn't help in your situation. Actually, those videos don't help everyone and most had to set their card recognition by hand in many cases with this issue. (DirectX9 Error).

I will see if I can find some instructions for you if you have run the Graphics Rule Maker and it didn't find your card or set the right amount of Memory for you. You will need to do this all by hand, manually, make sure to back up your original Config file and put it on the desktop for safe keeping in case something goes wrong. I will search around to see if I can re-find some instructions for you.

ETA: Please Note: Fixes have to go into these two files! (qutoes from Lee's site of how to fix this issue)

WHERE TO INSTALL FIXES: IF You Have TS2UC
    In the Program folders:

\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
    \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\
    MUST BE INSTALLED IN BOTH FOLDERS

If you have the DVD's

In the Program folders:

\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\Config\
    \Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

I will be back with more instructions when I find them.

*Here you go: Scroll down to Jules1111 instructions of how to edit those files manually. Your card may be different from the Intel card mentioned if I remember correctly..didn't reread the whole thread.

Make sure your card is known by the Graphics Rule Maker and set in it before doing any of this. It would help you a lot.

Follow the instructions by Jules to change some things in the Config files (Noted where they are above in this thread)

I hope you get to play again. Lee and Jules have saved my games many times because I never remember what to edit when I change a pc. lol

Note: Where it says to change the memory..that amount didn't work for me, I do believe I had to set mine (years ago) to more than 8000 per noted on Lee's site somewhere.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/948331/cant-run-ts2-uc-because-i-dont-have-directx-9-0c-solved/p1

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Sorry, No. The name is what is censored. Not anything else about that site. There is another thread here where Jules1111 answer the DirectX9 error problem. You may have to search for that here or I will try to link it and set your Config file manually by Hand. The error really has nothing to do with DirectX9 but actually Memory that is listed for your Card in the Config File if I remember the correct information from lee's site.

I believe I had to do this when I switched to Windows 10 a few years ago. I had to type in that file a different amount of Memory. Then it worked.

That's why you need to find the instructions of what to change and where instead of just watching a video that didn't help in your situation. Actually, those videos don't help everyone and most had to set their card recognition by hand in many cases with this issue. (DirectX9 Error).

I will see if I can find some instructions for you if you have run the Graphics Rule Maker and it didn't find your card or set the right amount of Memory for you. You will need to do this all by hand, manually, make sure to back up your original Config file and put it on the desktop for safe keeping in case something goes wrong. I will search around to see if I can re-find some instructions for you.

ETA: Please Note: Fixes have to go into these two files! (qutoes from Lee's site of how to fix this issue)

In the Program folders:

If you have the DVD's

In the Program folders:

\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\Config\
    \Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

*Here you go: Scroll down to Jules1111 instructions of how to edit those files manually. Your card may be different from the Intel card mentioned if I remember correctly..didn't reread the whole thread.

Make sure your card is known by the Graphics Rule Maker and set in it before doing any of this. It would help you a lot.

Follow the instructions by Jules to change some things in the Config files (Noted where they are above in this thread)

I hope you get to play again. Lee and Jules have saved my games many times because I never remember what to edit when I change a pc. lol

Note: Where it says to change the memory..that amount didn't work for me, I do believe I had to set mine (years ago) to more than 8000 per noted on Lee's site somewhere.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/948331/cant-run-ts2-uc-because-i-dont-have-directx-9-0c-solved/p1
    Gonna give you an insightful because i don't think i have the 2nd option installed but it still works.

Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227

In the Program folders:

If you have the DVD's

In the Program folders:

Thank you so much! I'll try this. I used the Graphics Rule Maker and it recognized my graphics card so maybe I have that step down already, I'll Iook through the link you provided and hopefully have an update for you!
    Gmmov8T.gif

In the Program folders:

If you have the DVD's

In the Program folders:

Back with a report. Graphics Rules Makers recognizes my card and says its in the database (I checked the videocard.sgr file too and my card is there). I've gone through and edited all the necessary files following that forum post but the error is still there :(. From reading further into that forum post, it seems that the issue may be fixed by running the game in fullscreen windowed mode but I don't how to do that since the game doesn't launch without error.
    Gmmov8T.gif
    I got it working! I found a tutorial on google to help put it in windowed mode! Yay! Thank you for all the help! I'm going to try and play for a bit to see if all is well.
    Gmmov8T.gif
    I got it working! I found a tutorial on google to help put it in windowed mode! Yay! Thank you for all the help! I'm going to try and play for a bit to see if all is well.

*Sigh* another update, so now the game immediately crashes. It loaded fine the first time but now it crashes immediately when I click the application. :((((
    Gmmov8T.gif
    And it's probably going to continue to crash unless you change the memory amount found in the instructions link I supplied. Also, make sure when you start TS2 you always delete the Accessories cache file, the group cache files located in the EA Games folder inside your documents. EA Games/The Sims 2UC/ or The Sims 2. These build up and cause crashes, too.
    And it's probably going to continue to crash unless you change the memory amount found in the instructions link I supplied. Also, make sure when you start TS2 you always delete the Accessories cache file, the group cache files located in the EA Games folder inside your documents. EA Games/The Sims 2UC/ or The Sims 2. These build up and cause crashes, too.

I changed the display memory amount using the memory I had in dxdiag. It was the accessories and group caches files causing the crashes. Once I deleted them, the game started! Thank you for your help!
    Gmmov8T.gif
    You are welcome.