Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Under The Tartosan Sun

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Yeah! I like Hannah as a character so far. Cool lady, and she has a unique look.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,879 Member
    Keep cooking, Summer! Nice feedback indeed. Its amazing how strong your female characters are.

Great update!
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    Thank you so much everybody.❤️ I've been experimenting with shorter episodes. I want to get new ones out each week and this makes it easier.

@Simgirl1010 I made up my mind early on that I wanted the women in this story to be a sisterhood. I wanted to avoid the stereotypes that center around conflict. That said, the new story I have coming up soon will have plenty of conflict and back biting but it will still have some the sisterhood themes.

@mightysprite I realized I've fallen back into an old trap. So many of my characters are 'Barbies'. Even the male characters are all in the ideal mode. I made a conscious decision to make Hannah appear more real. Instead of lowering her weight slider I bumped it up and gave her glasses. I think she's the only character I've made that has a short hairstyle. It's something I want to keep going with new characters.

@Ellupelluellu That's a theme I love in stories. I really don't like weak female characters because it feels like they reenforce negative stereotypes. I've been trying to work in some vulnerabilities to keep them feeling more real, but not lose any of that strength, like Danielle's breaking down after her initial confrontation with Faith.

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Lovely update.
    I really like what you've done with Hannah's look too and that your characters look a variety of ways. It's nice to see female friendships and Summer react so well even when the outcome must be somewhat disappointing.
  • luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,622 Member
    @DaniRose2143, well that's some interesting developments.
    Summer is an interesting character. I feel like she's a little different from the others. They're all strong and smart women, each in their unique ways, but there's just something about Summer. I'm going to say this wrong... but it feels to me like the other couples complete each other. They found balance and harmony together. Danielle and Londyn fill in a missing piece of each other. Liberty and Mateo saved each other. I feel like Summer is complete, all on her own. She doesn't need to be saved and she isn't missing anything. She could be on her own and be happy. It makes her relationship with Darian different but still good.

I'm a little bummed she didn't get the show, but I like the idea of her making her own and I'm interested to see more of Hanah.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
    edited December 2022
    @haneul Thank you very much.
    I’m happy readers are enjoying this. I wasn’t that happy with it myself at first but I was looking at it the wrong way. The story felt thin and weak to me but I was comparing it to previous content. Those were different, they were full chapters. This one is an interlude. Once I looked at it like that I was much happier. It was like Matteo’s reunion. There wasn’t enough new material to make a full chapter so I rolled it into the next chapter. This had more to work with but still not enough to really be a chapter own it’s own.

I’m happy you picked up on the diversity of the cast. That was one of the things I wanted to be sure to include. Just like the strong women and their friendships with other female characters. There are other sensitive topics besides homophobia that I want to touch on but I haven’t found the best way to bring it up. The obvious topic is racism. I have Londyn and Liberty in the main cast who certainly would have had to deal with it. I don’t want to bring these topics up just to be sensational, but to make people think. I hope so far when I’ve brought them up I have handled them with respect and dignity.

@luciusstorm
    You’re right about Summer. She has a deep self confidence that I think only Londyn can match. She recovered quickly from Travis and Leonardo. She didn’t rush to find another man because she doesn’t define herself by her romantic partners. If she uses relationships in that way she would more likely look at her friendships with Danielle, Londyn, and Liberty. Her character suffers because the way she’s depicted is flighty and superficial. I went the opposite way with her for my story. So far with reaction Hannah is getting she may appear more often than I originally planned
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
    @DaniRose2143
    I think you've handled every sensitive topic you've touched on with dignity and grace. It didn't even cross my mind to think that there was anything thin or weak about this chapter. I thought it was a nice introduction to Hannah, a nice continuation of Under the Tartosan Sun, and just fine for what it is.

Personally, I find that sometimes it's great to try something a bit different even if the quality might not be as good as one would like because experiment can be a way to gain insight and the reactions could even be unexpectedly positive with people very satisfied and not noticing anything bad about the quality.

@hanuel
    Its probably just part of being creative, but I am my own harshest critic. I am surprised and touched by the response to this chapter in general, and Hannah in particular. I'm already tossing around ideas to have her be a bigger part of the story than I thought at first. I was fairly sure readers would like her, I just didn't expect how much.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    @hanuel
    Its probably just part of being creative, but I am my own harshest critic. I am surprised and touched by the response to this chapter in general, and Hannah in particular. I'm already tossing around ideas to have her be a bigger part of the story than I thought at first. I was fairly sure readers would like her, I just didn't expect how much.

It's definitely a writer/artist thing. I really treat myself with a rather sharp blade when it comes to self-critique. (I actually placed a novel I was writing [the one in my siggie] in the garbage once in my angst. Oddly enough, Hubby was the one who rescued it.)

While I enjoyed the latest chapter of your story, my only critique would be to steer clear of being preachy. That's difficult, I realize. I stopped watching Quincy years ago because everything was a Cause and they got way too preachy with it. The dialogue ceased to be natural. The original Star Trek V: Voyage Home was very subtle in their message about how we Humans must care for our planet and the possible long-range consequences if we didn't. It was all about the lack of Humpback whales.

Let the situation unfold, naturally. Perhaps show us how women are at a distinct disadvantage in certain worlds. Perhaps a bit of an 'argument' between a female character with the guy in charge being uppity. Rather than a long conversation that turns into a diatribe.

I'm only telling you this because you're one heck of a fine writer. And I do hope you take it in the spirit it's given. If I didn't care I would remain mute.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    Ahh what a lovely chapter
    I adore how supportive Summer and Hannah are of one another - especially in such a male dominated industry, women really have to have each other's backs. All too often we see women turn on each other and become competitors in situations like this, but I'm heartened to only see kindness and encouragement. Summer is such a positive person, I really feel as though nothing will bring her down. And hey! I guess with a name like Summer Holiday, who could ever be down in the dumps. I feel like her moment is coming, Hannah's praise of her was so wonderful and genuine, and I just know that one day she'll get all the recognition she deserves.

Another fantastic chapter! You always pull it out of the bag! <3
    s54gWQ5.png
    @GalacticGal Thank you so much. No offense taken.🙂 That is something that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I've been a little shy about showing confrontation especially when it comes to sensitive topics like sexual harassment, sexism, homophobia, etc. Being inexperienced its easy to go to far with the dialogue, the first origin story for Izabella is the perfect example.😲 I've been erring towards using references to those subjects instead of depictions of them. As I've said before, I am always open to constructive criticism.

@hellohannah2 Thank you very much.
    From the start I wanted this to be positive and show healthy relationships. I agree about Summer being positive. I've tried to keep that but show her as being more mature and confident. Summer keeps her free spirit feeling but gains self confidence and a sense of humor. I find it's really easy to have her be the one in the group that delivers a funny line or hilarious facial expression.
    @hanuel

It's definitely a writer/artist thing. I really treat myself with a rather sharp blade when it comes to self-critique. (I actually placed a novel I was writing [the one in my siggie] in the garbage once in my angst. Oddly enough, Hubby was the one who rescued it.)

While I enjoyed the latest chapter of your story, my only critique would be to steer clear of being preachy. That's difficult, I realize. I stopped watching Quincy years ago because everything was a Cause and they got way too preachy with it. The dialogue ceased to be natural. The original Star Trek V: Voyage Home was very subtle in their message about how we Humans must care for our planet and the possible long-range consequences if we didn't. It was all about the lack of Humpback whales.

Let the situation unfold, naturally. Perhaps show us how women are at a distinct disadvantage in certain worlds. Perhaps a bit of an 'argument' between a female character with the guy in charge being uppity. Rather than a long conversation that turns into a diatribe.

I'm only telling you this because you're one heck of a fine writer. And I do hope you take it in the spirit it's given. If I didn't care I would remain mute.

I'm going to agree with @GalacticGal here...

First, more often than not, we are our own harshest critics. For me, that's one of the reasons I love getting and giving feedback here... the support and encouragement.

Second, I will agree about the importance of the old axiom "show, don't tell" ... it's always more engaging storytelling to "show" something than just talk about it. It's something I struggle with often in my writing.
    @GalacticGal Thank you so much. No offense taken.🙂 That is something that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I've been a little shy about showing confrontation especially when it comes to sensitive topics like sexual harassment, sexism, homophobia, etc. Being inexperienced its easy to go to far with the dialogue, the first origin story for Izabella is the perfect example.😲 I've been erring towards using references to those subjects instead of depictions of them. As I've said before, I am always open to constructive criticism.

I just want to say, I think you did a great job showing confrontation around sensitive topics with the Faith arc and with Londyn's parents.

I just want to say, I think you did a great job showing confrontation around sensitive topics with the Faith arc and with Londyn's parents.

I will second that. The dialogue was more real in that it flowed naturally. One of the best chapters you've written @DaniRose2143
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    I had a few minutes while got something to eat to think things over and reflect back on some of the recent chapters. Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I really appreciate all of it.
    The number one goal of this story after being entertaining has been depicting strong, confident women, positive female friendships, and happy relationships in general. I don't want to totally shy away from the less positive parts of life but I'm guilty of thinking I need to show more of it to balance out the lollipops and rainbows themes. In the last chapter, I could just as easily have had Hannah be supportive of female chefs and Summer in particular without venturing into talk of gatekeepers and such. I do find it easier to write about LGBTQ issues than any of the other sensitive topics and I can feel it when I write about them. I said it after the mistake with Izabella's origin story that got me a timeout, I need to concentrate on the themes that built this story up and quit trying to force the other stuff in. If it makes sense on occasion, okay, but don't force it and stop feeling like I need to add those topics.
    @DaniRose2143, write what makes you happy.
    What is most important from the start is that you enjoy yourself writing it and are pleased with it. Your audience will enjoy it because your audience is, by definition, people who enjoy your writing. We wouldn't be here reading it if we didn't like it (unless someone is here for an English class studying serialized internet lit :) ).

I could go on a long rambling discussion about different kinds of narrative conflict, and I started to write one, but I'll spare you. I'll just say again that I think your story is great. If you want to bring in new challenges based on serious topics, you can (within the strictures of the forum rules) and I will be interested in reading them... but only do it if it's what you really want to do. If you don't want to do that, you don't have to.
    To show and not tell, I think a writer must know their audience well and I think that getting to know an audience takes time. Even in an environment as small as this forum, with people being from all over the world, it's hard to know what experiences people are familiar with. What’s preachy to some may be a completely new idea to others. When I started my legacy, I wasn't sure what readers would tolerate from me, so my posts were generally shorter and a lot less layered. Now, I feel more confident to subtly explore themes that interest me and trust that some of my readers will get it (and perhaps even enjoy it :D), while others will be there for some silliness or for the pictures.

@DaniRose2143 I like that you want to make your readers think. I think that's fun. Because of an experience that I had recently and because I like subtle slice-of-life things, I was thinking about what microaggressions or "benevolent" sexism Summer/Hannah may have experienced, especially given that Hannah is a fancy? chef or at least probably knows fancy chefs that work in fancy restaurants. I was at a "fancy" restaurant the other day - one of those places where they push your chair in, help you into your coat when you leave, and press elevator buttons for you. When the waiter came, he would always skip over the men and address the ladies first. It made me wonder if Summer or Hannah were running a fancy restaurant or if they had friends that did, would they do this sort of "manners/chivalry" thing (or would they skip over having something fancy completely and focus on creating a place where almost anyone can go and have a good meal). I think it's awkward if you're a strong, independent woman and you're at a restaurant trying to have a business meal or get a deal done and the waiter is well-meaning, but subtly undermining your authority by treating you like a delicate princess and not giving you the check and so on. Anyway, if you want to explore sexism and other issues, I think that there are a lot of ways that you can do it. There’s even a lot of space to say interesting things about the types of dishes people select to cook since your characters seem like they may have cooking shows (homecook vs. culinary chef from culinary school, poor people’s food vs. rich people’s food, food from different ethnicities…) .

Sorry for rambling, but I also agree with @luciusstorm and hope people write what makes them happy.
    edited December 2022
    @hanuel Thank you for the thought provoking comments. Summer and Hannah love the simple dishes they grew up with. They also love to take those dishes and make little changes to make them that little bit better than the ordinary. They both enjoy expanding their skills and tastebuds by trying new techniques and new styles of cooking. Last, but not least, they love to share their passion for cooking. Whether it's making meals for friends or customers, or for showing home chefs how to make the same dishes at home.

As for showing subtle, or not so subtle, sexism and other slice-of-life things, I would love to, but I need to learn when, where, and how to bring it into the story. I need to work on subtlety.
    I'm planning to have a new episode up either Friday or Saturday. If the next two days at work are as easy as the rest of the week has been I should have plenty of time to get everything put together and posted on Friday. I lost some time this morning trying to find a glitchy piece of cc on Danielle and Londyn's home lot that was causing certain actions to not even queue up. This crazy game, it was a single light fixture in their bedroom that was causing issues all over the lot.🤪🙄
    @DaniRose2143 Yikes, the game is so sensitive. LOL We have to tip-toe around it so it doesn't get offended. LOL
    Sadly I don't think the new chapter is going to be done tonight. I thought I had all the shots I needed, but as I get deeper into the writing I'm finding I need more shots. I'm really sorry for the delay.
    Sadly I don't think the new chapter is going to be done tonight. I thought I had all the shots I needed, but as I get deeper into the writing I'm finding I need more shots. I'm really sorry for the delay.

No worries. Better that you get the shots you want, then to rush it. We'll still be here, singing Christmas carols to amuse ourselves. ;) We have Midnight Services again, this years so for me and mine, it's one week away!
    edited March 20
    Chapter Thirty One

Danielle found herself back at square one after her confrontations with Faith. The lead editor for SimReads had tried to bury her novels because she hated the fact that they were written by a lesbian author and featured lesbian characters. Faith had taken that course of action hoping to provoke a confrontation and to force Danielle to write the novels she wanted her to. It was a strong-arm tactic that she had used before with other authors who dared to evolve and explore new storylines after finding success with her publishing house. With lessons learned, and a bit of a loving nudge from Londyn, Danielle set out to find a literary agent to help her with a new book deal. She'd been lucky and got away with negotiating her own contract but those days were over. The problem now was finding someone she could trust to look after her interests. When she broke into the business she was the one knocking on doors and sending out emails. Now that the world knew the name Danielle Huntley (nee Chabert), she was the one answering the door knocks and the emails. Her bibliography and her sales figures spoke for themselves.
    2tcYlBU.png

News of what had happened had spread throughout the publishing world. Faith's reputation for nastiness wasn't exactly a secret, but it wasn't something that was obvious on the surface either. When they met and negotiated the book deal that launched her career, Faith had been charming and pleasant. The mask of civility that she had worn so well had burst Danielle's bubble of trust. Danielle had been flooded with offers from agents in the days immediately afterwards. Londyn texted her agent Melissa for some help.

2hopFLC.png
    Good evening Mel. I hate to bother you, but I have a favor to ask. Could I get you to look at a list of names of literary agents and let us know if any of them are reputable? Danielle is getting bombarded and I remember you said have contacts in that field.

Absolutely Londyn. You can text me the names or email them whichever is easiest for you. I'm here to help my clients anyway I can. And when the client in question just so happens to be one of my favorites to work with there is nothing I won't do. I'll have an answer for you ladies tomorrow

Thanks Mel!❤️ You are such a sweetheart and the world's best agent.❤️❤️

Thank you dear. I'll pick out the cream of the crop and let you know in the morning. And before I forget, congratulations on your nomination for a Starlight Accolade for The Urbz movie. Sorry I can't be there but I'll be keeping an eye on my feed to see if you win! Good night Londyn.

Melissa gave them three names to focus on, Jasmine Trudell, Blake Brown, and Meghan Gillespie. It was time to place some calls and set up meetings for the following week. In the meantime there were plenty of other matters that needed attention.

Finding an agent was just one task they needed to get done. There was an awards show coming up in just three days to get ready for. They had gowns to pick up at Galleria Bianca De Luca and any last minute alterations that may need to be done. There was also the matter of their home. One night earlier in the week pointed out a problem that had been there since the house had been built. You have to go outside to climb the stairs to the bedroom on the second floor. Not a pleasant, or even safe, thing to do when it's raining. Sometimes when it rains the stairs get slippery, and it feels ridiculous to carry an umbrella to go from your living room to your bedroom.
    UpdTijU.png

If you get caught without an umbrella, you either sleep on the sofa or you get soaked. They love their little home but they had been planning to build something bigger when their careers started taking off. In spite of not having a book deal or publisher at the moment Danielle's career was already going wonderfully. The current situation was only a minor blip and an agent and a new book deal weren't that far off. Londyn was being hailed as a breakout star for her work on The Urbz movie.
    Before going to see Bianca later that morning the girls took a walk down the beach to enjoy the beautiful moment where the line between dusk and dawn blurs. The morning was picture postcard perfect. Warm gentle breezes coming on shore from somewhere far off over the ocean and the moon and stars as bright as spotlights as they grudgingly gave way to the sun. Danielle and Londyn went to the spot where Londyn proposed and where they ended up on the night they realized they were totally, head-over-heels in love. It was the most special of places for them and one where they had been planning to build a home when they could afford it.

"Can you still feel the magic from the first time we came here?" Londyn asked as she gently caressed Danielle's cheek before cupping her chin in her tender ebony hand.
    5gwvUYF.png

"Every time I walk by here. I always will."

"I know we've been talking about building our new home here," Londyn added as she gently spun Danielle around and went to work massaging her shoulders. "I've been thinking though, is this really where we want to build?"
    Shs6xAV.png

"I've been thinking about that too. This spot is so special, but I think it would lose some of that magic if we were just steps away all the time." Danielle said.

"It would. It's not like this spot is half way around the world or on another planet. We can come here anytime we like."

"That little island of ours has really grown on me. I've had you to share it with and I can't think of anyplace else I want to spend our time together." Danielle said as she took Londyn's hands in hers. She held those lovely slender fingers that knew all of the right buttons to push and looked deeply into the most beautiful, soulful brown eyes she had ever seen, eyes that held wonder and perfect love.
    thHXQBw.png

"Let's talk to an architect and see about remodeling. We own it outright now. There's plenty of room to add on and I feel the same way you do about it. Those gorgeous views of the ocean stretching away. The sunsets we have right there are as lovely and romantic as anything I got to see growing up in Sulani." Londyn said.

"Ok babe, we've settled that, how about we get moving." Danielle said before she paused to kiss Londyn's hands. "Bianca will be opening any minute now and we have new gowns to try on. Sunday night is almost here!"
    eCffDix.png

"By all means hun, let's go." Londyn said, then she added, "but before we go, kiss me like you miss me!"
    0VmFR3l.png?1

Sunday: The Starlight Accolades

The big night had arrived. Londyn had been to one Starlight Accolade before she met Danielle, but she hadn't been a nominee. Her agent took her as a guest so she could feel the atmosphere. It had been more thrilling than she imagined as a child watching the awards show on television while dreaming of someday walking up on that stage to get her own Starlight Accolade. Now she was getting to strut her stuff on the red carpet and she had the love of her life right there at her side.
    NkgquYl.png

It was a strange new world, but one Londyn had dreamt of her entire life. She still found it amazing when a fan wanted her autograph.
    ndgkHCF.png
    It was just as magical for Danielle who had also grown up watching the awards show with her friends. Now here she was in her fabulous designer evening gown about to walk the red carpet herself. She had never dreamt of silver screen stardom. Not seriously anyway. Still it was a mind blowing experience preparing to put one stiletto in front of the other and sashay across one of the most iconic strips of red carpet in the world.
    2Yeybge.png

"Shall we give them what they came to see, babe?" Londyn purred in Danielle's ear before they set off for the door.
    N7U0Ltg.png
    oKMFZNt.png

When they reached the top of the grand staircase they paused beneath one of the classic movie posters. Londyn took Danielle's hands in hers and said, "Welcome to what I hope is the first of many Starlight Accolades for us."
    bcTIh4G.png

They had arrived early to stake out good seats not only for the show on-stage, but for the show when the really big stars, the icons, arrived. After claiming their spot they headed to the bar where Danielle quickly put her nerves at ease with Soft Shadow Avornalino and Salty Fires.
    dFm9yvZ.png

"You might want to pace yourself honey buns."
    3tlLVMe.png

Before they knew it the moment had arrived. With one last Avornalino in hand Danielle made her way to their seats.
    EEmHiqd.png

“Oh my god, that’s Brytani Cho! She’s gorgeous!”, Danielle said
    qrw8ZSJ.png

“Hilarious too. I caught one of her stand up shows here in Del Sol Valley a couple of weeks before I left on that photo shoot in Tartosa. Good god I thought I was going to die from laughter.”, Londyn said

"I'm so glad you didn't."

“Don’t look now but is that the Judith Ward? Talk about glamorous! Is she really the witch everyone says she is? I mean she looks it right now!”
    aoTzKLC.png

“Yes and no. If you grovel at her feet and worship her, she’s pleasant enough. If you don’t, or even if you do, if she perceives you as a threat to something she wants, look out. With the attention I’m getting for my role in Urbz I’m on her radar. I’m assuming that poison look is aimed at Brytani. It’s not like they’re old timers but they’ve been at each other’s throats since they met. Imagine what Judith is going to be like when she becomes an aging superstar.”

With that the show kicked off with a flurry of minor awards. Then came the shocker. In the aftermath of of the incident with Faith, Danielle wasn’t aware that her book, ‘Heart And Soul’ had been nominated for an Accolade. Faith’s last dagger, or so she thought, had been to keep that news from Danielle in hopes that by not knowing she wouldn’t show up and thus not win an Accolade if she was lucky enough to be chosen. Faith had no hand in the lousy mail service between Del Sol Valley and Tartosa. Had she known that Danielle hadn't received her letter notifying her that 'Heart And Soul' was up for an Accolade she would have been elated.
    What Faith didn't know, and she never would have bargained for, was Londyn's super agent, Melissa Ramirez.
    88QfJl1.png

It was Melissa's congratulatory call to her future superstar client that let Londyn know she had been nominated, thereby bringing Danielle to the show also. Now Faith's only hope was that the voters had chosen another novel...

“Drumroll please! The winner for Best Book is…

Heart And Soul by Danielle Huntley!”

The ladies were still staring at each other in disbelief after hearing Danielle’s name being read off as a finalist. It took a moment for the reality to start sinking in. The first of her novels inspired by Londyn and the one that sent Faith off the deep end had been recognized as the best book! Danielle and Londyn both shared a smile at the thought of, somewhere on planet Sim, at that very moment, Faith Middleton's head exploded...metaphorically speaking of course.

"I know it sounds cliché, but I really don't have a speech planned. I'm still in absolute shock."
    ggBszHj.png

Londyn knowing exactly what this win meant both to Danielle, and in the larger karmic sense made her way up on stage to be with her soulmate. There was nowhere else she was going to be in this moment.
    nQXT4Ar.png

"This beautiful woman beside me, is the inspiration for this novel and she is the love of my life. Everything I am. Everything I have accomplished or ever will is all because of her. I love you with all my heart baby!"
    j1OSOtP.png

"Thank you to every single person who voted for my book from the bottom of my heart."
    Hbfk8e5.png

After they returned to their seats still in shock and feeling elated and vindicated, they noticed a commotion at the entrance. It was Octavia Moon and her temper was at full boil. One can only imagine what Thorne might have done to put her in such a mood. Maybe it was Orange? Or Judith? They were neighbors and the air between their mansions was full of tension.
    QjFFlX4.png

More awards were passed out and then it came time for the last and biggest award, Best Acting. This was the moment Londyn had been dreaming of since she was a child sitting next to her mom, Ebony, on their sofa in the family home on Sulani watching the Accolades being beamed across the ocean to their television. Could lightning strike twice...

"Drumroll please. And the winner for Best Acting is...

'Hasn't this been a wonderful evening? So many deserving recipients!' said the host trying to milk the moment for all it was worth.

"Where was I? Oh, yes, the winner for Best Acting is...

Londyn Huntley for her role in "The Urbz Movie"

This couldn't be happening could it? They both had that thought at the same time but it was.

"I had a speech planned for this moment but I can't remember a single word of it. I'm beyond thrilled. This is a moment I've dreamt of since I was a child. Now it's finally come true."
    KKj7VFG.png

"And I will echo the same sentiments my wife did a short time ago. I would not be here in this moment without the love, support, and encouragement of my lovely wife, Danielle. Come on up here baby. This award is as much yours as it is mine."
    n9nCsbU.png

"You are the air I breathe. You are every beat of my heart. I will never love anyone or anything as much as I love you, my darling Danielle."
    4pohzXa.png

With that, the show was over. But the congratulatory phone calls and texts were only beginning to roll in...
    C5W7996.png
    Summer:
    The girl I used to sit up with and watch the Accolades just won one! I'm so proud of you Danielle. I'm sure Londyn's phone is blowing up too so give her my love and congrats. You two deserve all of this and more. Now go enjoy your wins and we'll all be waiting for you two back here to have a celebration.
    Ebony Huntley:
    My sweet baby girl I could not be more proud of you and Danielle. You two are such beautiful souls and you both worked so hard to get where you are. This is just the beginning for both of you. Your father and I love you two very much and we are so happy for the both of you.
    Jennifer Chabert:
    I know I gave you a hard time about following your dreams of being a romance novelist instead of a painter or a writer of something other than romance. I couldn't have been more wrong. You are doing what you were meant to do and the universe is giving you and your darling wife the rewards you so richly deserve. Have fun celebrating your big night. Your father and I couldn't love you more if we tried.
    Liberty:
    Matteo and I were glued to the tv the whole night. I was so amazing to see you and Londyn up front and on screen all night long. I cannot begin to tell you how much we both loved watching you two win such big awards for all the hard work you put into your creative endeavors. We both send our love and we can't wait to see you back here for a real celebration. Love you girls!

"Let's get out of here. I have something I want to give you when we get home and I can't wait." said Londyn.
    BSyFkkV.png

Later, in the wee small hours of the morning, back in Tartosa...

"I can't wait to see what it is you want to give me."
    V4tT2tQ.png

"I think you know what it is."

"I have a good idea."

"Follow me then and let's see if it's what you think it is."
    XnyHu12.png?1

"Well?"

"I was right. Thank you babe."
    GneNo4n.png

blcOPHf.png

Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
    edited December 2022
    If I had any idea that my original ideas for this chapter were going to take the turns they did, I would have started writing on Tuesday instead of Thursday. Those of you who are SimLit writers yourself know exactly what happened here. Once I started writing so much of the work and shots I did earlier went right out the window. More often than not now I follow wherever the dialogue leads, not where the shots lead. It's funny how the gameplay and screenshots start the writing process, but then when the words start flowing, sometimes they go off in another direction or need even more shots than what I already had. This one chapter and the Starlight Lounge build added 6 pages to my Imgur gallery in one week. I'm really happy with the end result, so all the extra work was worth it.
    @DaniRose2143, fantastic. You did a great job with the fun and excitment of them winning the Starlight Accolades. Those awards ceremonies are always such a delightful mess. I love it.

I know what you mean about needing to go back for reshoots. The joys of simlit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top