Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Under The Tartosan Sun

Comments

• luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,633 Member
    @DaniRose2143, fantastic as always.
    I've always been fascinated but the question of identity. Who are we? How do we see ourselves? How do others see us and how do those ideas shape our relationships. Your Liberty is a great example.

In a way, her name defines her arc... she started by claiming her freedom from a bad situation and using that freedom to define herself.

Who are you? Who will you become?
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    "it helps, but it isn't mandatory"

:D
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    @DaniRose2143, another update. :)
    Liberty is so pretty and that red dress is fabulous! I hope's she truly happy. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I do worry for her a little bit. She sounds like she may resent her past-self and there's nothing wrong with having a casual or a masculine/tomboyish look.
    I really want to look like who I am, a full grown woman. Not some tomboy. As a child and a teen that was who I was. I was more interested in video games than clothes, hair, and makeup. I was interested in those things, just not as much. Working in my office, we’re expected to look polished and professional. Once I started dressing like that for work the tomboy spell was broken. I really liked what I saw in the mirror when I was done getting ready. I felt pretty, mature, and fierce. That’s who I am now and I want my wardrobe to reflect the new me.

It's interesting to see that she equates the new look with being "pretty, mature, and fierce"? when she was always pretty, and could likely have been mature/fierce with a tomboyish style. Maturity comes with age (hopefully) and fierceness with experience. Matteo even says that she was always pretty... <3 As for office work, I find that the lowest ranking people are those who have to look the most "professional", those with a lot of skills can often adopt a more comfortable appearance and focus more on things that are directly related to their work because everyone knows that they have the skills to back it up. I just hope that she feels as confident in herself without the new clothes and the makeup. She and Matteo should have all the happiness.

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,915 Member
    Great makeover!!!!
    I know its maybe me only, but case Liberty... it irks me everytime to see her used in stories for sim-years, still wearing same ugly basegame pigtales and clothing :s:s:s is it too much to change even the lil girl hair???? Sims-years for simpetes sake :D

Same with Summer often too...
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    edited November 2022
    Thank you so much to all of you for following along.

@mightysprite
    When I created Allegra one of the attributes I felt she had is a sharp wit. I'm still learning her nuances and as I was writing that scene that line just came flowing out. I felt like it was her making a self deprecating joke about how she and Francesca dress so stylishly. Now that she's living outside the bubble she grew up in she senses strangers first impressions of her is one of snobbery because of the image her look conjures in most people's minds. People in Tartosa know the Rossi's and they know they're not snobs. People in places like Windenburg don't know anything about the Rossi's. They draw their own conclusions and Allegra is self conscious about it. That is a small part of why she misses Tartosa so much. People know who she is under the designer labels and she's comfortable there. Its home, and her heart has never left.

@Ellupelluellu
    I feel the same way. I don't really like a lot of the personas Maxis gave the premades, and her's was one of the worst. I guess that childish version bugs you and me more.🙂

@hanuel and @luciusstorm
    Liberty is the character who has changed and evolved the most so far and I don't think she's done by any means. She has been repressed in a way throughout her childhood and teen years. She also had a close relationship with her dad who is a video game designer. That's where she developed her love of video games and developed her tomboy persona. If she hadn't been so caught up in the gaming bug she probably would have joined in more with Danielle and Summer as they explored their femininity. She would have joined in when they were spending an afternoon, or an evening, playing around with hair, makeup, and clothes. Part of her wanted too, but the lure of video games was stronger. She was in the room with them but glued to her games. Sometimes she'd put the games down and join in. Most of the time she'd just talk while they each did their own thing. Danielle and Summer brought her along on their nights out and then left her by herself while they chased the boys and vice versa. They were wrong for treating Liberty like that, and they've admitted they were wrong for allowing that to happen. Danielle as we have since learned was caught up in her own self denial at that point too.

The incident with Travis turned everything inside out. Then she realized her dream of being an astronaut was never going to happen. That set off the cascade of events that led her to where she is and made her who she is now. She's discovering who she is and also going back and experiencing things that she missed out on growing up, by her choice. Some of those things may stick and become part of who she'll be, some might not. Matteo is a bit bewildered by it all, but it's not that much different than his own journey. The only difference is Liberty's journey is far less destructive than his was. The best thing that happened to Matteo was Liberty and now the best thing that ever happened to Liberty is Matteo. He's there for her but he's also giving her space and support to go and explore these new facets of her personality. He will always be there for her and that she doesn't have to change anything to please him, that he will love her no matter what. Any changes she makes she should make because it's what she wants to do for herself. The same thing Francesca and Allegra told her too. She is surrounded by a large support network of people who want her to be happy and feel loved.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,863 Member
    A great makeover but I have to agree with Matteo. She was beautiful before. If it gives her more confidence in her personal and professional life then it was definitely worth it.
    A great makeover but I have to agree with Matteo. She was beautiful before. If it gives her more confidence in her personal and professional life then it was definitely worth it.

Thank you. I don't feel like Liberty has finished her journey of discovery, she's still finding herself. We'll see what comes next for her as she continues to grow. Her new wardrobe has outfits that are inspired by Francesca and Allegra and some that are influenced by Summer.

The cast is all evolving a bit with their looks. Londyn will have some new looks coming that are totally related to her career and something I have in mind as her stardom rises. I don't think anybody else will change as much as Liberty has, but the others are more settled on who they are.
    @DaniRose2143, this is what I love about your story - the characters, their relationships and their growth. You've taken them, and us, on such an interesting journey and I look forward to continuing.
    @haneul, it's funny, talking about the "tomboy" look and attitude has me thinking about my wife. In clothing style, she very much isn't a tomboy but in actions she is... like how she almost always wears skirts but she builds furniture and does our basic home repairs. I don't know that I'd call her fierce... strong, mature and beautiful. I'm a lucky guy. I guess I'm pulling this out as an example of how there are lots of ways to be one's own person... back to that identity idea of mine.
    edited November 2022
    @luciusstorm Haha, like this? I expect that the future changes Liberty will maybe include changing attitudes towards fashion or what clothing means in terms of identity. I don't know, but I look forward to finding out.

Post edited by haneul on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,557 Member
    I've done thousands of sims makeovers, but this is by far the most unique. I've never done one and made an entire story out of it. This has been coming though. I've been thinking about this for a couple of months. Liberty has changed and evolved more than any other character so far. When I had her join the secret agent career I started wondering if this day might come. As she's advanced in her career and got engaged I felt like it was inevitable, she just wasn't tomboy Liberty anymore.

As you know character growth is necessary in any good story. I know my Erik has changed just about in every iteration. Too bad it's not all one storyline. Oh, well. We'll see where he's headed, eventually. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    @hanuel
    Francesca and Allegra are products of generations of rigid standards for women in the DeAngelo family. Women wore skirts and dresses, only. Pants were scandalous to the generations before them, even their matriarch Vittoria. She stuck to those rules and taught Francesca the same. Over time Francesca started to push back. She started wearing pants, albeit ones that were more stylish than simple jeans or trousers. Stylish as those outfits were they caused some friction at times, especially the first few times Francesca went out in public. She taught Allegra to dress how she felt comfortable and to ignore nonna Vittoria's strict rules of dress. Allegra models herself after her mom and she's very comfortable with it, but they both want Liberty to be sure there is no pressure from them to mimic their style. That's why both of them challenged Liberty about why she wanted to make a drastic change. Francesca wanted to break the chain of blind adherence to outdated patriarchal standards. Allegra didn't break free to the degree Francesca had secretly hoped, but she wasn't going to pressure her. Allegra was making her own choice. For Liberty there is a bit of a catching up on what she feels is lost time. She's going through this stage a few years after her friends did. Will she find that she truly likes it and that she's willing to go through the effort that is required daily to maintain that look or will she find a middle ground like Danielle, Londyn, and Summer?
    @hanuel
    Francesca and Allegra are products of generations of rigid standards for women in the DeAngelo family. Women wore skirts and dresses, only. Pants were scandalous to the generations before them, even their matriarch Vittoria. She stuck to those rules and taught Francesca the same. Over time Francesca started to push back. She started wearing pants, albeit ones that were more stylish than simple jeans or trousers. Stylish as those outfits were they caused some friction at times, especially the first few times Francesca went out in public. She taught Allegra to dress how she felt comfortable and to ignore nonna Vittoria's strict rules of dress. Allegra models herself after her mom and she's very comfortable with it, but they both want Liberty to be sure there is no pressure from them to mimic their style. That's why both of them challenged Liberty about why she wanted to make a drastic change. Francesca wanted to break the chain of blind adherence to outdated patriarchal standards. Allegra didn't break free to the degree Francesca had secretly hoped, but she wasn't going to pressure her. Allegra was making her own choice. For Liberty there is a bit of a catching up on what she feels is lost time. She's going through this stage a few years after her friends did. Will she find that she truly likes it and that she's willing to go through the effort that is required daily to maintain that look or will she find a middle ground like Danielle, Londyn, and Summer?

I'm still a jeans person, myself, but at one point I stopped wearing the T-shirts, in favor of something more feminine, if you will. That was my big awakening, as it were. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    @hanuel

@DaniRose2143 That's great to know.

I know that this line was in the context of being nice and not putting pressure on someone: "it helps, but it isn’t mandatory." It was funny to me, though, because where I am people say things like that all the time. More often than not, it's a warning/threat and it means that something is mandatory (just not technically) and you had better do it. If people ask if you're sure or whatever, you just say yes. But I'm in the 116th country out of 146 for gender gap equality so there's that... Things are improving and people are trying, though.
    @hanuel

I'm still a jeans person, myself, but at one point I stopped wearing the T-shirts, in favor of something more feminine, if you will. That was my big awakening, as it were. ;)

I'm a jeans, shorts, and leggings girl and I kind of mix it up with tunics, tees, and sweaters. Since I think of Tartosa as a sims Italy I blend a bit of the famous Italian fashion sense along with old world values and that's where Francesca and Allegra get their look. I am conscious that I'm starting to build up a lot of fashionable sims. The Rossi women, Isabella, now Liberty. Londyn will step up her looks some as befits a star once she gets the third star. She'll have more outfits like the one with the blazer and jeans. When she goes to the Starlight Accolades, hold on tight because she really will slay it stylishly. Danielle will have a couple more polished but not fancy outfits for book signings and meet and greets. Summer won't change a lot she's pretty set on her look and even as the host of a cooking show she won't need to be overly stylish. I wouldn't trust a chef that looks like she's headed to a vogue photoshoot afterwards.🤣 I'm already pushing it as is. We've all heard the line about never trust a skinny chef, and she's as skinny as it gets.
    @DaniRose2143 Two of my granddaughters, one aged 21 and the other soon to be 13 are into the whole leggings look. I think at my age, it wouldn't work too well. Who wants an old lady wearing leggings, right? Besides, with my historical studies the Nations and the Settlers wore leggins (no g) with their suade hunter shirts and boots. :open_mouth:

I don't think Sarah will ever abandon hers, since she's the one who got mauled by a dog and there was talk, initially, that she may need some plastic surgery on her left leg. (This child has gorgeous legs, too.)
    haneul wrote: »
    I know that this line was in the context of being nice and not putting pressure on someone: "it helps, but it isn’t mandatory." It was funny to me, though, because where I am people say things like that all the time. More often than not, it's a warning/threat and it means that something is mandatory (just not technically) and you had better do it. If people ask if you're sure or whatever, you just say yes. But I'm in the 116th country out of 146 for gender gap equality so there's that... Things are improving and people are trying, though.

The more I run that line back in my head the more it comes across as exactly the opposite of I how it was intended. It was a takeoff on the old joke that goes, 'You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps.' It was meant to put Liberty completely at ease and the 'it helps' comes off sounding like Allegra is telling her she should do this to fit in, but if she doesn't that's ok. That's only partially true. The Rossi women really do mean it when they tell Liberty that she was fine just as she was and that she has already been accepted as a member of the family. I do need to think about how to reword that.
    @DaniRose2143, fantastic as
    haneul wrote: »

The more I run that line back in my head the more it comes across as exactly the opposite of I how it was intended. It was a takeoff on the old joke that goes, 'You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps.' It was meant to put Liberty completely at ease and the 'it helps' comes off sounding like Allegra is telling her she should do this to fit in, but if she doesn't that's ok. That's only partially true. The Rossi women really do mean it when they tell Liberty that she was fine just as she was and that she has already been accepted as a member of the family. I do need to think about how to reword that.

Sounds like an excellent and interesting vehicle to explore these ideas in the context of the story if you wanted to. Miscommunication is an excellent instigator for a storyline.
    @DaniRose2143 Two of my granddaughters, one aged 21 and the other soon to be 13 are into the whole leggings look. I think at my age, it wouldn't work too well. Who wants an old lady wearing leggings, right? Besides, with my historical studies the Nations and the Settlers wore leggins (no g) with their suade hunter shirts and boots. :open_mouth:

I don't think Sarah will ever abandon hers, since she's the one who got mauled by a dog and there was talk, initially, that she may need some plastic surgery on her left leg. (This child has gorgeous legs, too.)

Leggings are great for covering scars. I played sports when I was younger and my shins are a horror show. I mostly wear them around the apartment but they also work great under the occasional just below the knee skirt or dress and I'm not wearing tall boots to hide my shins. That's a big reason why besides freedom of movement and lack of pockets that I don't wear skirts and dresses more often.

• hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    edited December 2022
    I've finally caught up! Life has been so incredibly busy for me, but I have to say, it was such a treat to have such a big chunk of your story to read today <3
    first of all, I have to say as always that I absolutely adore all of the gang, their relationships and their love for each other is so special that it makes my heart full. It's so lovely to read about people who are supportive and loving and forgiving of one another, and I'm especially touched by Matteo's reunion with his family. After the emotional turmoil he put them through for so long while he was off with Leonardo (ick!!) it's wonderful that they've been able to find it in their hearts to forgive him, and that they've found him at a point in his life where things are going wonderfully. He's in a happy loving relationship with Liberty, who of course is so charming to be around. And her transformation!! Wow! that red dress was a real winner, she looks beautiful, and you could tell that Mateo was stunned. He would have loved her no matter how she looked, but I appreciate the makeover as a way to show her journey from the tomboy she was to the woman she's become.

Also, I have to applaud Danielle for standing up to her horrible agent Faith! That scene was incredibly satisfying. What a poisonous woman she was, and I hope that we never have to meet her again! Imagine being so callous and intolerant! I'm glad that Danielle and Londyn were able to put their heads together and figure out a solution, and I have to say, what they came up with was AWESOME. You go girls, doing the work and knowing your rights. I feel there's no way that Faith can come back from this one, and it's going to be a huge loss for her now that Danielle is moving on. Here's to a better publishing deal! It's only upwards from here for our gorgeous, talented author.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment! You're doing amazingly <3
    Post edited by hellohannah2 on
    s54gWQ5.png
    @hellohannah2 You are so sweet.❤️ Thank you for those wonderful and kind words.
    I love hearing readers say they love how sweet and caring the characters are. I knew some readers might not like characters that have such drama free lives but I wanted this story to be positive and uplifting but I also wanted to make the cast likable. Matteo is a big lovable sweetheart of a man. Liberty isn’t done with the changes. So much has happened to her, all of it wonderful, since Travis tried to take advantage of her and nearly wrecked her friendship with Summer too.

Her world, her thoughts, her heart are caught in this beautiful whirlwind. As a child she was a daddy’s girl and took after him more than her mother. That’s changing and she’s finding herself drawn into a world more her mother’s. She doesn’t see it as a bad thing, she’s embracing it. This woman she’s becoming has always been in there but it took her a while to emerge. I’m looking forward to watching her sort through her thoughts and emotions and seeing her continue to grow.

Faith is done I think unless she has a change of heart in the future and comes back to make amends. Her name will still come up here or there. Danielle is on her own journey of discovery as she’s recently admitted to herself that just like Londyn she had always been a lesbian. That was why her relationships with boys and men didn’t last long. She always found reasons other than the real reason to break things off. Londyn has helped her find herself and that’s only made their love stronger.

The next episode will be more about Summer and Darian. We’re going to find out whether or not she’s got the TV show or if her and Darian are going to do their own show from home.
    @DaniRose2143, you got me thinking...
    I don't know that your characters lead drama free lives. The situation with Faith certainly wasn't drama-free. :) I think one of the great things about your story is the way your characters navigate and grow through the down to earth challenges of their lives.
    @luciusstorm
    You’re right drama free isn’t the best term or even the right term. I’m not sure exactly how to explain it. The main characters all love each other and are always supportive. I write it like that because I just can’t bring myself to have Danielle and Londyn or Liberty and Matteo fighting with each other. I write idyllic relationships not realistic. I might write in some disagreements but I just can’t see them being mean to one another. I’ve never seen them mad. I had to use cheats to get Danielle angry for her confrontations with Faith. Same for Summer and Liberty during their argument and when they cornered Travis. The world is full of hate and confrontation so my stories are an escape where those troubles aren’t allowed. Even the new divas story is going to add laughs into the confrontations.😁
    edited August 2023
    Chapter Thirty

People often say that time drags its feet when they're waiting for news. Summer never had that feeling while she waited for word from the producers of a new Foodie Network cooking show she was a finalist for. That is just part of Summer's relentlessly positive view of life and the world. She'll get the show or she won't. Life goes on and her career goes forward. It helps that Summer and Darian are already thinking over a plan B. Darian has experience with web based shows. Summer was expecting to hear from the show's producers any time now.

"Hun, I'm amazed at how calm you are waiting to hear word on something this big." Darian said as he and Summer lounged on the sofa, watching a movie. "We're talking life changing stuff here, and you're as relaxed as if you were waiting to hear what the weather is going to be tomorrow."
    wHdgQrE.png
    "There's no point in getting upset or wound up over this. Sure, I'd love to get the job, but I have to be realistic. The other finalists have a lot more experience and higher profiles than I do. My name only started to get mentioned as a top chef a couple of years ago when I was still in Willow Creek. Look at Hannah Taylor, she's been a SimsEats 5 star chef for almost a decade."
    I5tfFyu.png

"She's very charismatic and she has a huge following which will bring them viewers. There's a reason she's been the front runner since the beginning."
    TtlJ7Ai.png

"How does it make you feel knowing that so many people think she should get the job not you?"

"It doesn't bother me at all. I mean, yeah, I want the job, but Hannah is someone I have looked up to even before I got my first job. She's the biggest reason why I became a chef. I saw her and I saw another woman who has the same passion I do for cooking and for pushing boundaries. She wasn't going to be held back by the men who feel they're the gatekeepers of the culinary world. The culinary business is not much different than acting or sports, there are huge egos involved when you get near the top. There are some who feel that women don't belong in charge of a restaurant kitchen, not the fancy ones anyway. It can be very hard to climb the ladder."
    v0E2Hcx.png

"Have you ever met her?"
    1I57JMV.png

"Oh yeah. I've met her...", Summer paused as she thought it over, .."three times. She's really friendly and super supportive. She gets it. She's a role model for women and she doesn't shy away from it. She leans into it. She works hard to help other women get ahead in the business."
    RC8l27S.png

"How many other women are in the running?"
    j0AzmE1.png

"It's just us. Hannah and me. She has a better reputation than any of the men and I'll put money on the fact that anything they can do she can too and she probably did it better. It eats at them and I kinda like that. I know I shouldn't but I do. I'm hoping she gets the job. I really do. I would love to see her doing what she does so well and sharing that love of cooking with an even bigger audience of young women. I know there are others like myself that would be inspired by her."
    rTsypeQ.png

Darian leaned in for a kiss and when he pulled back he said, “But don't you want to be the one to give them this", he said as he made the notorious hand gesture, "even metaphorically speaking?"
    nEgfIhr.png

"Darian babe", Summer began, "that's such a male response. That's sinking down to the haters level. I find it's more satisfying to flash them a smile, and then turn and leave them to simmer in their own anger without so much as a word. It bugs people like that if they can't get a negative reaction out of you. If you give them one you validate their opinion in their eyes. You are a wonderfully sensitive man, but dear, you still have a lot to learn. Stay with me sweetie", Summer said as she locked eyes with him, "I'll be more than happy to expand your mind and teach you how a woman thinks. You'd be very happy to learn the bennies that come with truly being in tune with the woman who has your heart. I can...really make it worth your while to understand us...if you know what I mean. If you really want to win a woman's heart, learn how she thinks. You don't have to think like we do all the time, but having an understanding of how we see things is something most women find very attractive. I certainly do" she added with a little squeeze of his hand.
    ipAe8k2.png

Then came the news Summer had been expecting. She didn't get the job hosting the cooking show and her idol Hannah Taylor did. It was still a win as far as she was concerned. Hannah was being rewarded for her hard work and it gave her a bigger stage to spread her message to other women, you can do this too. Follow your dreams. Summer went to her computer to send Hannah her congratulations.
    J07XoXn.png
    Hello Hannah,

Congratulations on winning the job hosting the new Foodie Network show! I'm very happy to see you get the gig, you will be amazing. I know you will inspire may other young women like me to follow our dreams! I wouldn't be where I am today in my career without your inspiration and advice.

Sincerely,

Summer Holiday

sfZtDh6.png

To Summer's delight Hannah's response wasn't long in coming.

Hello Summer,

Thank you so much. You are as sweet as you are talented. I have enjoyed our brief chats and I truly believe you are one of the best young chefs in the world. Yes, I said the world, and I mean it. Keep on doing what you do and very soon you will be right here next to me. Women like us will revolutionize the culinary world. I have a surprise for you. Just the other week I was in Tartosa for a little getaway. You know I follow news of women who are making noise in our line of work for their talents. I didn't want to make you nervous by letting you know I was going to dine at the establishment where you work. I swore your waitstaff to secrecy. They love and respect you very much so they were eager to play along. Your dishes were as amazing as I had heard. I will sing your praises every chance I get. I'd love to have you be a guest on my show now and again. I would encourage you to explore doing your own videos on SimTube. That will do wonders to help build your profile up. You have a gift, keep sharing it with the world sister!

Best wishes from your biggest fan,

Hannah Taylor

qx6MEl6.png

Summer sat there for a while just staring at the screen. It felt good to have someone you look up to and who has achieved as much as Hannah had saying such wonderful things about you. It meant even more knowing that she meant every word. So it was settled, Summer and Darian needed to get to work on their idea for the empty room upstairs. Their home was about to get a kitchen studio.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,863 Member
    What a wonderful episode. So satisfying to read about women encouraging and rooting for each other. 😊

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top