Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever felt intimidated because a man you didn't know was behind or near you in public?

ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
I'll include an option for woman just in case anyone has that to report on, and an option for other possibilities, to be fair.
I ask this because I think it's far more common an experience than most of us who never experienced it ourselves, realize, until someone close to us clues us in, and then it's shocking that this is even a thing. But without that awareness, we can't address it, try to find a solution, or even BE a solution. Feel free to tell us about your experience. NOTE: this is not man-bashing. I'm a big fan of men, in general, though that doesn't extend to bullies, of any gender. It just happens that this is apparently a big problem that women experience, from men, most of the time and I wanted people to know they weren't alone, and for those who weren't aware of this as a problem to see it for what it is. I was pretty shocked when I learned the extent of it, and hope and wish for a solution. Making this anonymous so people feel more comfortable coming forward.
You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
```
wonderfullymade.jpg

Have you ever felt intimidated because a man you didn't know was behind or near you in public? 28 votes

Yes!
64% 18 votes
Yes! But it was a woman.
7% 2 votes
Yes, but I didn't know the gender or it was neither a man nor a woman.
7% 2 votes
Nope, never happened to me, but did to someone I know (please specify if it wasn't a man)
7% 2 votes
No, and no one I know has told me it happened to them either.
14% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2022
    I voted no. Can't say I ever have. But I'm extremely shy so everyone I don't know is pretty intimidating πŸ₯² though I don't think that's the kind of intimidating you're referring to. I assume you mean like feeling in danger?

Well,it's not uncommon to feel that way. But I don't believe it's because it's caused by a stranger or a man. If you feel that way it's actucally because it wasn't a "man"
    It's my belief that we carry these outer forms that look human but inside is our true form which can be very ugly in nature, demonic, animalistic, evil or whatever. When man takes on these qualities of ghosts and demons and animals you may not see it in his outer form unless you have the third eye. But you will feel it in his aura and his spirit.
    You may feel intimated, you may feel uncomfortable, in danger or anything of that nature because the evil inside of that person is resonating in their aura.
    And I'm pretty sure everyone can recall a stranger/s they met that just makes you feel like you knew them your entire life. They feel so comfortable to be around or so good but you don't know them at all. Well that's the human that actually has human qualities and a beautiful aura.
    So it's not the stranger, or the gender. It's the heart/spirit/soul of that person you are feeling.
    We must have good qualities, good thoughts, good actions and good speech if we want the beautiful aura 😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    That's a very interesting and unique take on it, Babykittyjade! Kudos for sharing your point of view and giving interesting food for thought! :)
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I just remembered that there a man that I know personally they feels extremely uncomfortable to be around that's why I don't think it's stranger specific.
    But it's not just me. Even my brothers hate to see him coming. But if you know his (bad) history you would see how that has contributed to his aura.
  • Options
    On the last day of Women's History Month, 2022, I felt like this was an issue that deserves exposure and awareness in hopes of inspiring more people to become allies with women in changing another injustice women face that people who have never faced it, often don't even know about.

What inspired me to write this was learning from a friend that when she didn't realize it was me, she felt uncomfortable recently when I was behind her in a store, looking at the same shelf she was. When I said hi, she was relieved. I was never a threat to her in the first place, but because it was a man behind her, she felt nervous.

She has since told me that she doesn't feel comfortable walking around town by herself at night, would rather someone were with her, due to feeling vulnerable, despite the fact that she has never been attacked or accosted, but she is always aware of The Male Gaze and feels unable to escape it always being on her, whether she wants attention from any given man or not.

She said it's a fairly common feeling among her friends who are women, and that they all will cross the street if a man is walking on the sidewalk behind them, even if he's not close, and be hyper-aware of things like whether his pace is quickening, whether he also crosses, and then they do defensive maneuvers like making three turns and if he's still behind them, considering that just cause to feel they are indeed being stalked.

I had no idea it was this bad, and at first assumed it couldn't possibly be justified, but then was shown this video footage of an attractive woman walking through the streets of a big city with someone who had a hidden camera in their backpack, walking in front of her, to show the world what it's like for a woman to simply walk in the city, apparently by herself.

She was indeed harrassed so much it was absurd. It went far past any innocent gestures of interest, into downright aggressive, creepy following, people getting in her business and making it quite obvious they did not respect her boundaries or her rights. At times it seemed she was in real danger and I was glad she was working with a partner incognito. It was shocking just how much harrassment and interference she encountered just for walking apparently alone, while female.

I went from disbelief that it could be this bad for women, to horror at the injustice of it, that so many women can't "just" go out walking, they have to have a plan, go with someone, or always be on the lookout for a strategy in case this happens, and that's a level of stress that is placed on women in particular, that most men just don't experience.

I figure if more people knew about this, they would be more likely to take women's problems seriously and try to be part of the solution. Without awareness, victims don't have allies.

```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited March 2022
    It was at the store...

the cardboard sign man trying to sell me rye bread with a big demon grin and confident posture

also at the techy store there was another carboard ad man with horrible demon grin staring at me between the aisles like he finna jump at me if i don't buy whatever the heck it was he was trying to sell

Yes... I do indeed have the paranoid trait but these store advertisements are not helping :sweat_smile:

oh and then there was the one time i went on walk and i was expecting to not have company (cause i live at countryside and you are more likely to meet moose)

but i looked anyway and there was some other human on walk behind me so i got startled and that walk fastly turned into speed walking competition :lol: cause i was both too shocked and too embarrassed to walk at normal pace just in case the person behind me was faster walker and had noticed me being weird and jumpy :lol:

that being said yeah i would definitely be scared of absolutely anyone existing behind my back and the big city would likely be a very jumpy experience for socially anxious bean like me :lol: gladly i do at least live at countryside where people don't tend to exist in first place

do also recall music festival i went to as teen
    i was getting sick in the front with lights and noise (had been in front row all day) so i adventured backwards in the concert tent in search of outdoors when suddenly right in the middle of my escape route between me and the tent exit i see half row is occupied by some naked guys enjoying festivities :sweat_smile: well yes. i definitely took a moment to calculate route to avoid them by biggest possible distance while still getting out of there :sweat_smile:

couldn't tell if the dudes were particularily creepy otherwise but i would have preferred they wore some clothes :sweat_smile: and it wouldn't have been very nice having that crowd behind my back :sweat_smile: so i guess i was lucky to have went all the way to front in first place to only see them while exiting and gladly i avoided them that time too since i noticed them far enough to take longer route :sweat_smile:

but yeah safe to say thats probably why i tend to avoid concerts these days :lol:

unsure if anyone really ever gave me much reason to be scared like on personal level (i mean im not beauty queen or anything so that probably helps too :lol: )

but i do tend to do a paranoid look behind once in a while and if i go on walk for example noticing someone walking behind me is automatic pace pickup to avoid encounter and noticing someone in front is automatic pace slow down to think of options/gather energy or questioning myself if i should change sides if thats option/ if person seems possibly threatening like walks as if they're juiced or something then i do change side

+ thankfully with pandemic people find it somewhat less weird that people keep some boundaries so that also slightly helps with people getting too close in general
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited March 2022
    No. I'm fortunate enough to live in Singapore which is a really safe country where we can walk around alone at night without having this fear. My heart goes out to all the people out there in other countries who have to struggle with this in their daily lives!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    On the last day of Women's History Month, 2022, I felt like this was an issue that deserves exposure and awareness in hopes of inspiring more people to become allies with women in changing another injustice women face that people who have never faced it, often don't even know about.

What inspired me to write this was learning from a friend that when she didn't realize it was me, she felt uncomfortable recently when I was behind her in a store, looking at the same shelf she was. When I said hi, she was relieved. I was never a threat to her in the first place, but because it was a man behind her, she felt nervous.

She has since told me that she doesn't feel comfortable walking around town by herself at night, would rather someone were with her, due to feeling vulnerable, despite the fact that she has never been attacked or accosted, but she is always aware of The Male Gaze and feels unable to escape it always being on her, whether she wants attention from any given man or not.

She said it's a fairly common feeling among her friends who are women, and that they all will cross the street if a man is walking on the sidewalk behind them, even if he's not close, and be hyper-aware of things like whether his pace is quickening, whether he also crosses, and then they do defensive maneuvers like making three turns and if he's still behind them, considering that just cause to feel they are indeed being stalked.

I had no idea it was this bad, and at first assumed it couldn't possibly be justified, but then was shown this video footage of an attractive woman walking through the streets of a big city with someone who had a hidden camera in their backpack, walking in front of her, to show the world what it's like for a woman to simply walk in the city, apparently by herself.

She was indeed harrassed so much it was absurd. It went far past any innocent gestures of interest, into downright aggressive, creepy following, people getting in her business and making it quite obvious they did not respect her boundaries or her rights. At times it seemed she was in real danger and I was glad she was working with a partner incognito. It was shocking just how much harrassment and interference she encountered just for walking apparently alone, while female.

I went from disbelief that it could be this bad for women, to horror at the injustice of it, that so many women can't "just" go out walking, they have to have a plan, go with someone, or always be on the lookout for a strategy in case this happens, and that's a level of stress that is placed on women in particular, that most men just don't experience.

I figure if more people knew about this, they would be more likely to take women's problems seriously and try to be part of the solution. Without awareness, victims don't have allies.
    Well apart from the auras of people, in the situation described with your friend that's a little different.
    As Dekay said it pretty much depends on where you live and how safe it is. I mean we all know men are generally thought to be more dangerous and aggressive so a lot of things play a part in how a girl may feel.
    If you watch the news there is a looooooot of stories of assault in the U.S. anyone would be scared to walk outside the front door especially if you're in a bad kind of area. That could greatly contribute to one's fear. Or if the girl has a triggering past or bad experience with guys that could play a part as well.
    I know someone who comes from a country that is practically crime free. And she's always talking about how much she misses it because everything was so safe, friendly, harassment free and the guys were respectful. The guys were taught to look down when they speak to a girl so as not to make her feel uncomfortable.There was nothing to be afraid of. In the U.S it's a different story over here πŸ₯² it can be hard to be a girl that's true.
    My country was not the safest either so I can understand being scared of a strange guy.

I could be totally wrong about this but I personally don't think bringing "awareness" to things like this makes it any better. Nothing will change and if anything people only seem to getting "crazier" with crime rates increasing and everything despite all the awareness we have in today's world.
    Most people know that all throughout history girls have had it hard and not much has changed. Sure they became more independent and strong but that brought on a whole nother wave of negative consequences that to me, don't seem any better. But that's for a different topic.

Overall I don't watch the news or judge anyone based on gender. Maybe I'm a little to free spirited but unless someone has an aura that feels really bad I give everyone a fair chance. So I personally never felt scared of any strange guys despite my bad past experiences. I'm friendly with everyone πŸ˜€
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    @Babykittyjade I understand 100 percent what You are saying and what You mean. This happened to me one time and it was super scary. I was in the Hospital in a private room, admitted for problems with My spine, ( I am handicapped) and they just wanted to monitor me for a few days. It was late at night and I was just watching tv and I heard my door open. Some strange man came in and shut the door behind him and was telling me to be quite and not say anything, just then there was a code red alert on the loud speaker in the hospital for security. He tried to hide in my room but I started yelling as loud as I could for the nurse and he left. He had a bad bad aura and a crazed dark look in his eyes. It turned out he was looking for his ex girlfriend that he had tried to run over with his car earlier and she was on the same floor. That was one of the scariest moments in my life.
  • Options
    Glad that people are sharing viewpoints, and doubly glad I made it anonymous because it appears that the people who have had this experience, currently in the majority, aren't comfortable speaking up about it. That's perfectly fine: it's why it being anonymous was important, to make it safe from judgement.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited April 2022
    Overall I don't watch the news or judge anyone based on gender. Maybe I'm a little to free spirited but unless someone has an aura that feels really bad I give everyone a fair chance

yeah do think its more the specific person than gender too for me and well mostly i just be paranoid bean and find everyone sus all the time anyway :lol: even if my country is relatively safe

but i do think that ive found men sus more often maybe cause i simply can't read their behavior too well

what is most anxiety inducing though is when i run into those religion spreading people on parking lots that assume everyone wants religion talk out of blue and act like they're possessed by mother plant

like if i had to choose between being in room with sus man or religion spreader i would still go with the sus man cause at least i wouldn't get frightened to death :lol: and maybe my radar isn't so trusty maybe he just seemed sus but isn't actually sus

...then again if the sus man grins like madman i might be equally frightened to death... you do not simply smile and be happy without being absolutely horrifying to me :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited April 2022
    No, it might have something to do with my lifestyle (I'm a homebody)

A classmate of mine from elementary through high school have similar encountered, she said she was stared at "with bad intentions" by a man while waiting for the bus, then she left. She is average and possibly was fat at the time (I don't know if she was losing weight successfully at the time, I just saw her post on her social media), The only thing special about her is that she's an obvious goth in everyday life (though I don't know if she was dressed like that at the time). Though the man may just be attracted to her dressing or think she looks like an acquaintance (I've had the experience of staring a stranger because I mistaken her for an acquaintance), but what's certain is that she was intimidated.

When I was in college, my classmates (all female) discussed being afraid to take a taxi alone, and said the tomboy among them don't have to afraid. I said I'm afraid about this, they (including the tomboy) said I'm the type that others are afraid. I replied, "This shows that people who dare to do something to me are really dangerous, and what you think doesn't mean that others also think." I don't look like a tyrannosaurus rex or gorilla, and I'm definitely not average and even recognizable. What makes them think I'm "safe" may be that I'm edgy-looking, and look cold when I'm expressionless and have "lifeless" eyes caused by myopia. I've also seen certain articles said that who looks "not to be trifled" on the outside is actually safer, but I think a large part of it is because of my lifestyle, and my country is overall safety, and though my city has a high pyramid scheme crime rate, the violent crime rate is low.
    Post edited by Shadow_Assassin on
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    I have severe social anxiety disorder, severe generalised anxiety, severe trust issues and have suffered physically, sexual, mental and emotional abuse multiple times my entire 30+ years of life, and I'm intimidated by anyone being close to me, but mostly men, despite women hurting me so much more. I've been hurt too much in my life to not be on edge the entire time I leave my house. I don't go out anymore, but I even feel this way in my house, which was my only "safe space" but doesn't feel safe enough to me anymore for various reasons. That's been taken away from me now too.

I'm done being vulnerable, gullible enough to mindlessly believe that a stranger, no matter who they are, isn't going to hurt me in some way.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont want to be too close to another person whether male or female. We are taught something in US in kindergarten called "my bubble". Your bubble is your space. No one should be in your bubble! I have experienced men coming too close for comfort to me. I am hypervigiliant in public especially when men are too close for the context.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options

Well apart from the auras of people, in the situation described with your friend that's a little different.
    As Dekay said it pretty much depends on where you live and how safe it is. I mean we all know men are generally thought to be more dangerous and aggressive so a lot of things play a part in how a girl may feel.
    If you watch the news there is a looooooot of stories of assault in the U.S. anyone would be scared to walk outside the front door especially if you're in a bad kind of area. That could greatly contribute to one's fear. Or if the girl has a triggering past or bad experience with guys that could play a part as well.
    I know someone who comes from a country that is practically crime free. And she's always talking about how much she misses it because everything was so safe, friendly, harassment free and the guys were respectful. The guys were taught to look down when they speak to a girl so as not to make her feel uncomfortable.There was nothing to be afraid of. In the U.S it's a different story over here πŸ₯² it can be hard to be a girl that's true.
    My country was not the safest either so I can understand being scared of a strange guy.

I could be totally wrong about this but I personally don't think bringing "awareness" to things like this makes it any better. Nothing will change and if anything people only seem to getting "crazier" with crime rates increasing and everything despite all the awareness we have in today's world.
    Most people know that all throughout history girls have had it hard and not much has changed. Sure they became more independent and strong but that brought on a whole nother wave of negative consequences that to me, don't seem any better. But that's for a different topic.

Overall I don't watch the news or judge anyone based on gender. Maybe I'm a little to free spirited but unless someone has an aura that feels really bad I give everyone a fair chance. So I personally never felt scared of any strange guys despite my bad past experiences. I'm friendly with everyone πŸ˜€

I agree that awareness alone isn't enough to effect change. But change cannot be effected without awareness: look at the US and the situation with systemic, endemic racism. As long as awareness was not widespread enough, and deep enough, as long as only the victims and their families and circle of friends knew the truth of what was going on, those who weren't directly unaffected really couldn't believe it could be that bad. Awareness did wake people up and make them realize, yes, it's that bad and yes, it's gut-wrenching and that is what gets the political will to address a serious problem going.

So I couldn't agree more that mere awareness by itself does nothing, but without it, nothing else gets done.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    I agree that awareness alone isn't enough to effect change. But change cannot be effected without awareness: look at the US and the situation with systemic, endemic racism. As long as awareness was not widespread enough, and deep enough, as long as only the victims and their families and circle of friends knew the truth of what was going on, those who weren't directly unaffected really couldn't believe it could be that bad. Awareness did wake people up and make them realize, yes, it's that bad and yes, it's gut-wrenching and that is what gets the political will to address a serious problem going.

So I couldn't agree more that mere awareness by itself does nothing, but without it, nothing else gets done.

I think it's more of a family of origin and other similar issue. Many perpetrators were also victims. Some people do the same even if they're conscious and even make them worse because they know "it's going to make them uncomfortable" (don't overestimate the bottom line of people, really. Even if people without bottom line are only 1% , once you encounter that 1% will hurt you deeply). But what causes the defect of the family of origin and other similar is beyond my knowledge.
    Entrance to the abyss
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited April 2022
    So many times. I could provide so many reasons why that have been accumulating since I was probably 13 or 14. But we'd be here all night.

I don't like to just assume a man is bad though. I don't automatically cross the street to avoid a man just because he's a man. I will if I get a bad feeling (this one has definitely saved me at least once) or if they seem unpredictable and like they might be under the influence of something (but I would do that for any gender, but it happens mostly commonly with men).

I do feel the need to be aware of their presence no matter what until we're a safe distance apart, just in case. I do feel a need to always have an escape route, just in case. For example I was once inside a bus shelter when a man desperately seeking a date came and stood in the exit so I was stuck inside while he pleaded his case. I eventually got out unharmed and without a date I didn't want that time. But I don't know that my luck will be so good next time, so I stay out of the shelters if others (especially men) are around.

I also had to be hidden away and let out through the back fire exit at a job when a particular male customer was around because he wouldn't leave me alone. The day he moved across the country was one of the best of my life.

Most men I encounter are fine, though, so I don't like to assume all are bad. But I am aware of who is around me especially males and especially when I'm alone or it's late at night.

There's a line I see from time to time that I find true "It's not all men, but it is all women". Not all men are bad, most are fine. But there's enough bad guys out there that a study in the UK reported 97% of women aged 18-24 have been harassed in public. I imagine studies in North America would have similar results when I think of myself and the women I know and can't think of a single one who hasn't been harassed at least once.

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2022
    To me this seems like an odd question I'm sure everyone at one time or another has felt uneasy around people and animals they don't know
    we are taught to fear people we don't know from childhood don't talk to strangers don't pet a dog you don't know are some of the first things we learn also don't underestimate how scary women can be that would be a foolish thing to do.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    The women I have spoken with who trust they will not be judged for it, have confided that they experience this on a regular basis. I don't believe it's that they were taught to feel this way so much as an acquired sensibility in places like big cities in the US where harassment and intimidation of women, by men almost exclusively, is a problem they have had to learn sttategies to navigate and cope with. I don't believe men are inherently evil. There are places where women are astounded to find that this is a problem in other places, because it isn't, where they live. Which proves it is not an inevitable condition of humanity, which also proves that it can and should be addressed and resolved.

```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    A similar problem is that women are afraid to take taxis alone, even during the day. Because of this, I would rather take longer and more tiring buses and subways when I was in college, even if I was not short of money. Apart from my college classmates, I also heard a female high school classmate call with someone, saying, " I'm afriad take a taxi by myself." Even if they're average, and professional research proves that it has nothing to do with appearance/dressing. Some (not sure if professional) articles said that who looks "not to be trifled" on the outside is safer, but I question that claim.

I have also seen many people are the same on the Internet, and I have also seen a few women ask questions and say that they want to be a taxi driver but afraid of being unsafe. Even though my country is generally safe, there're many women like this. I've also heard that taxi drivers (both male and female) in some areas won't let men sit in the front seat at late night.

I don't think it has anything to do with gender per se, it's just that men are less difficult to commit crimes because they're physically stronger, it makes those with criminal thoughts more dare to commit crimes. In certain types of crime unaffected or not so affected by physical strength, men are equally afraid that certain women may be a threat to them. I've seen men in online and news who be defamed or threatened with suicide by a female pursuer/ex (this can be regarded as causing a disturbance) they're as distressed as the gender swap situation.
    Post edited by Shadow_Assassin on
    Entrance to the abyss

• Options
    ApostolosJenApostolosJen Posts: 35 Member
    I voted yes because so many times, when a stranger is standing behind me, I'm like freaking out. In my head I'm like "Why are they behind me, they better not do anything weird." My thoughts are even worse when their hands are in their pockets. That's even more scary. lol