Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

He Just DIED

My Sims, Johnny and Emiliano, recently got engaged and were throwing a dinner to announce their engagement to their family and friends. Everything was going great until all of a sudden, I get a notification that Emiliano's dad died.

There was no Grim Reaper... Nothing! He just turned into an urn. I didn't even get a chance to plead for him. Emiliano's dad means everything to him, and I was going to have Emiliano ask his dad to be his Sim of Honor at the wedding. I checked the family tree and his death was caused by laughter.

Part of me loves the drama, but the other part is angry I never got a chance to plead for him. If I were able to plead and still failed, I could accept this death a bit more. What's worse is Emiliano's dad just had another baby and now that child is going to grow up without his dad. Emiliano would have to step in and be his little brother's father figure.

I'm sitting here with my game paused mulling over all the possibilities, but I feel like maybe I should just exit without saving. Thankfully, I saved right before the dinner started and I wouldn't lose anything.

6yqckeB.png

He Just DIED 89 votes

Accept the death and improvise the story
44%
EvvieSimmerJeanJaiSeaHejixalexspoom13xoJessibabajaynePeachesnDucksSnuffyBucketxdawnxBoergeAarg61SavorySageMindofyDarkLady2788ladybreidkeene61EmmaVaneSweetieWright_84DoloresGreyspend4zen 40 votes
Exit without saving and replay the dinner
35%
GalacticGalMi9shaoscarsimgirl1010freindlylolfriendlysimmersmystang1972spice3Babykittyjadelanlynblueyblueskyhalloweenchildannaliese39KathykinsRedDestiny92joleacoEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeStarfreeZiafarThrior 32 votes
Cry
2%
EgonVMRedShoe7 2 votes
Why do you have emotional deaths turned on!?
16%
bshag4lvrudolphaStormkeepCynnabarracuda1574MilutinMujovicPlumbobCrossingTeeSeaClassicalSimLyrieLoanetArzekialSAEldarinIsabellaHamiltonphantling 15 votes

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited March 2022
    I don't play with emotional deaths enabled, but if I did, I'd let the story play out pretty much as it happens. But then, in most cases I let things take their course in my own story stuff, but not if it's just way too far over my personal silliness threshold (which emotional deaths always are, lol). Edit: Too silly for me, I mean. I understand that others do like that sort of thing.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    My main sim died unexpected and early this latest save. It was so crazy to me that I let it happen. The family keeps the earn though and I'm trying to decide if one of the kids is going to try and become a spellcaster to bring her back. What's funny though is ghost Kerrigan is getting heavier. Guess there's good stuff to eat beyond the grave!
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I was just reading your story on the other thread, I have had this happen lately to where even if You did see Grim You can't plead with Him even if you have a death flower. I think Grim is bugged or something and You can't change it so, You should just go with it. Maybe Your guys could raise the baby.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Death from laughter is too easy to have happen....it's the one emotional death I have disabled because every time I had a toddler in a household every adult sim ended up dying from it. :lol:

That said, you didn't even provide a voting option for what I'd do in your shoes. I'd bring them back to life. There's a half dozen ways to do it through gameplay.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2022
    Do you have accidental deaths allowed for the household E's dad lived in? Just curious if that is how that works.
    Anyhow, I think it makes a very interesting storyline! I had a sim that died of laughter, he was one sim day married with baby on the way. It came out of nowhere. He also had a twin brother... Uhm, yes, I did THAT. The brother comforted his sister in law and they ended up married with another child.
    rodokmen.jpg

So yeah I would definitely "embrace" it. Please keep us updated. I am really wondering what you will decide for and how that will play out.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    edited March 2022
    If the father wasn't in my active household, I'd exit without saving, not even a question. Because in this case it wouldn't have been my fault that he died.

If the sim was in my own household, yeah, then I'd sit and stare and mull the problem over and over, too. But in the end I think I'd bring him back either by replaying the scene or by ambrosia (if available quickly enough). In any case for purpose of the story I'd transfer the dad to hospital for some time and work his accident into my chronicle, just not as a lethal one. That would be enough drama for my taste.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    edited March 2022
    @spend4zen I'm thinking maybe it bugged out because he was in the middle of something... I don't know. There was no animation, no Grim Reaper, just his urn and a notification.

@Stormkeep Do you have a mod to disable just the playful death? I would like to keep emotional deaths on, but I only like the anger and embarrassing deaths. Last time I checked in MCCC, there was only an option to disable all the emotional deaths and not just one. I've been dying (no pun intended) for a mod to disable only the playful death.

@DoloresGrey No, I have Neighborhood Stories turned off. This was definitely a death caused by the playful emotion. I guess he was just so happy his son was getting married.

I'm pretty sure the culprit is James, the man in blue standing in the screenshot. I gave him the Great Storyteller reward trait and I'm pretty sure he must have told Miguel a funny story and pushed him into hysteria.

@EnkiSchmidt He wasn't in my household. I think if he were, I would have noticed it sooner. If only I had been paying more attention to the guests, I might have been able to save him. :'(

This decision is so hard for me. I love the drama, and it's not often that random events like this happen in my game that could push my story in another direction. On the other hand, I really wanted Emiliano's dad to be apart of his wedding and to be there with his son on his happiest day ever. I guess it's a bit realistic though. Sometimes, you never know when a loved one might pass away and it teaches you to always cherish the time you do have.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Cry
    I don't know what to suggest... The title brought me here.

Remember that even if you save and exit, you can still use save recovery option for some time to get him back. It will be gone after you have saved a few more times. It won't overwrite the current save, instead creates a new save. So if you want to go back to that moment or play a timeline where he didn't die, it is an option...
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,942 Member
    Well I love the drama too and i mean if you are ever going to be happy to death wouldn't it be at your sons wedding :sweat_smile:

but if the loss is simply unbearable yes you could find a way to resurrect him or something
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    @NightlyCoffee Yes, I use just the No Hysterical death module from this mod at MTS. It hasn't been updated in a year though and is missing one line in the tuning that was added with the spa day refresh.

I added the missing line myself for my own use. I'm pretty sure the mod still works fine without that update, but if you want my version that includes the update you can download that here.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,830 Member
    You sound like you want to replay the scenario. Just do it.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,484 Member
    I had that happen to Erik Cantrell. His wife was busy packing five lunches for the Child Sim kids (they still had one Toddler) and Erik went out back to tend to their Chickens. I had the camera on Kayleigh, as I hadn't had any Sim pack a lunch in a very long time. While the camera was STILL on Kayleigh, there was about three or four notes of some really sad music, alerting me that something bad had happened. The camera didn't take me immediately to the seen of the dying Sim at all. I took the camera out back to find nothing but a tombstone inside the Chicken yard. I was gobsmacked. I believe I rolled back a save and this time I followed Erik. I caught a very odd picture of him as he was mostly smashed into the fencing with a rooster attacking him! Since all else failed, I made the decision to exit without saving. Erik was restored to my game (his icon was missing) and I have gone forward from there.

This is an important Sim in your game. And since you had no chance to plead, a complaint I also waged, I would exit without saving and play it again. Is the father on the same lot? If not, take a moment to visit his lot and calm his emotions down, a.s.a.p. As much as I enjoy random deaths in the game, I now have emotional deaths shut off via MCCC.

So sorry tragedy has struck your save.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I have emotional deaths disabled in MCCC...for good reason. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve exited without saving before to avoid this death - I’ve also pled with the reaper and been successful with death by old age, and both times, I kind of regretted it. Because I realized that having ultimate control made things less fun for me in the end.

Still, it’s a good idea to use the save recovery feature (or just Save As from this point) so that if you really wish you had prevented the death, you always have something to go back to. Just in case.
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 918 Member
    with neighborhood stories it not matter if mcc emotional death setting is disabled. neighborhood stories will still kill your sims with emotional deaths
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Once you told the story a little more, it took on a life of its own: he'd have to step in and take over as a father-figure to his orphaned way-younger brother...that has so much potential, especially as a couple starting out, imagine how satisfying it could be for them both to help take care of the little one together and help out the bereaved surviving spouse/parent. (I'm assuming the baby wasn't completely orphaned?)

The drama of losing his father at such a momentous time also takes on a life of its own in the imagination. How they'd get through it together, and once they were ready to have their wedding, maybe the father's ghost would attend? It would be so sweet.

Those emotional deaths are something I despise, not gonna lie, but your story just got so much more compelling. If you think about how it would be if none of this happened, would you like that story better? That would be what to ask yourself, is whether you'd feel like a story that should have been told, never got to be, if you erase all this.

IF you'd be fine with that, then don't accept it, and embrace the story you'd most want to have happen. If you would feel like a really great story got missed, in so doing, then embrace this unexpected twist. Whichever gives you more satisfaction.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    edited March 2022
    I typically roll with whatever happens because most of my favorite saves were from the unexpected.

That being said, a similar thing happened to me yesterday. My sim's best friend and roommate caught on fire because another roommate, Paolo Rocca, decided it was a great idea to upgrade the toilet. It caught on fire. My sim was in class at the time so she couldn't save her friend. Like you, there was no Grim Reaper. Her urn didn't even appear.

Edit: typo
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,845 Member
    I often just accept things, but there have been some buggy moments, generally with sims I really like for the story or whatever the case may be and I have been tempted to save them. Though usually it happens to me in buggier saves so I knew if I fixed it everytime something else would just go wrong. For other people I often say if you haven't decided yet and want to ask part of you already wants what you're hoping for so go for it.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2022
    Don't forget to put the urn in the inventory of Johnny or Emiliano and take it to his former home or Emilianos home.

Edit: With a bit of luck the dad might still be a Sim of Honor - as a ghost.
    Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    As the death - with no Grim and all - sounds like a bug, I'd pretend it never happened.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    While I generally just roll with sudden deaths, I think this one sounds like something you're rather angry/disappointed with because of how it happened. And I think, in your shoes, I might have been too because of the whole "BAM you're a sudden urn now, no Grimmy, no pleading" thing. I mean, if death happens in my playable families I want it to be immersive and go according to "rules" (in fact several of them have almost died but I managed to save them by conversing with Grimmy... except the one I didn't). The way this went down in your game just feels rather weird.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    If it bothers you this much I'd say go back to your last save and keep an eye on him in order to save him. I've done that myself. While embracing drama can be fun, there is no reason to allow the random happenings in a game to mess with your plan. It sounds like you are attached to your sim, and who wants to get upset over a game? Fix it and be happy. :)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Unacceptable!! Start over😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I've read everyone's comments and I just want to say thank you for the feedback. I know it's silly, but I was honestly shocked. It's not often that my Sims die from anything other than old age. Especially Sims I really love.

In the end, I've decided to just roll with it and continue on. I do think it bugged out because there was no Grim Reaper, but I'm still going to accept it. I'll be postponing Johnny and Emiliano's wedding for a bit while they grieve.

Miguel had recently remarried and had an unplanned baby with his new wife. She's now a widow and a single mother. Not only that, but she's almost an elder and I fear she's not going to be able to see her son reach young adulthood. I always worried that Emiliano and his baby half-brother would not bond because of the massive age gap between them. I'm not worried about that at all now. In fact, Emiliano now has to step up and be his little brother's father figure and even might have to take him into his household later on if Camila dies.

I guess when one door closes another door opens, right?
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2022
    Frankly, most of my sims died from old ages, too, but some of them called relatives the next day to invite them out to a community lot.

One exception was a female sim who frozed to death because she was stuck at a community lot. I had to send some relatives there to retrieve her urn. Another exception was a repair person who died from electrocution in one of my played household. His urn is still present in that house.

At least in my game, bars even have ghost nights from time to time where ghosts get discount on drinks. Ghosts are also frequently visiting flats with the "Spooky" trait.