Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are the mods you cannot play without?

Comments

• ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    @Stormkeep That is really kind of you. :) I will certainly come to you if I have problems. Now tell me why I am on this forum when I should be working :D
  • LauraCastellanoLauraCastellano Posts: 15 Member
    @naeshelle Thank you, I'll try that, and I see that bienchen has one I'll try as well. Glad I'm not the only one who sees this as a problem--most of the eating mods I find are to make it faster rather than slower.
  • LauraCastellanoLauraCastellano Posts: 15 Member
    [Have you considered taking her mod and customizing it for your own needs in S4S? It's as simple as changing a single value for each food in what is essentially a text file.]

@stormkeep is there a tutorial for doing this with S4S?
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I've collected a lot of mods from reading this forum, but I'm going to answer this based on which ones I'm most likely to put back in my game and risk crashes for after updates lol:

-4 column CAS mod. It's just so much easier to see and find things in CAS.
    -UI extension mod. I really like this mod and being able to fill needs by right clicking on them.
    -Food mods by ONI, littlebowbub and icemunmun. The meals and drinks just look so good. They also have fun stuff like candy etc. and other small appliances.
    -The mod that makes Sims stop sniffing the floor if you have the dust the bust kit. That animation happens so much it drives me crazy without this mod.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    @LauraCastellano, there are tutorials for how to do just about anything you might want with Sims 4 Studio, all available here.

In the case of this particular edit which I suggested, it's much simpler than any of the tutorials at the link, but looking at a tutorial for how to make a tuning mod would provide the necessary guidance on how to just simply edit an existing one.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    edited April 2022
    @Stormkeep Does the edit work only with the food that comes with the pack or also with CC food, like Icemunmun recipies or those that come with Grannies's cookbook?
    Also I do not see the two packages. There is one mod «More consumption turns» with package files for base game and other parcks and there is supposed to be another mod called «more grandmeal-more consumption turns» But I only found more consumptions Turns.
    edited April 2022
    @Ziafar, you would have to edit the tuning for those custom foods the same way. Basically you need to do an edit of the "object tuning" file for every single individual food item.

In that object tuning file, there is one line that looks like this:
            <T n="consumption_turns">4</T>

You would change the numerical value (which in this case is 4) to whatever you wanted for the number of bites. So for custom foods, you'd open the package file for each custom food, find the Object Tuning file in the Sims 4 Studio warehouse-tab and then edit that line.
    @Stormkeep OK I do not want to flood the forum with my questions on this so I think from now on I will MP you since you generously offered
    Right click this and select to open-in-new tab (or window) to see it bigger. 5eb3bde8295a55eff2ecf6635d6a5a66372ca117.jpg
    That is much better! :)
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I use a lot of mods, and agree with UI extension and MCCC being necessary for how I play the game.
    One mod I will mention that I hardly ever see people talk about, and one that I now find completely necessary, is Control Any Sim.
    It temporarily allows you to add a sim to your household so that you may control them like a played sim. It's very handy for telling stories and even in general game play, and I can't imagine playing without it now.
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    The only ones that I absolutely would not play without are MCCC and either Wonderful Whims or the Chemistry System by the pancake1. Ideally I want them both, but if I at least had one plus MCCC it's a fun enough game to keep playing.

Right behind these would be KawaiiStacie's Memorable Events and PolarBearSims Have Some Personality Please

Peri ShorterUniversity, SearchSims, and MTSTitanNano Control Any Sim.

There are many many others, including many fixes for annoyances by bienchen and Little Ms Sam, but this is my essentials list.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2022
    There are only 2 mods I absolutely could not live without:

- UI Cheats from Weerbesu
    - Better Build/Buy from TwistedMexi

Anything else beyond that is just gravy for me and not anything I consider a necessity. But maybe that's because I'm one of the lucky people who doesn't have a whole bunch of irritating bugs/glitches in my game, so I don't need an endless supply of mods in my game to fix them?
    Post edited by AncientMuse on
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    My list is rather long, so I'll put it behind a spoiler tag and also combine many mods into just one line overviews by modder. As for why my list of mods "I couldn't play without" is so darn long...it's because I would not play the game at all if it weren't for mods, so basically the summation of all the mods I use are "couldn't play without".

My List:
    • MCCC -- So important it deserves to be on the outside of the spoiler tag.
    • Weerbesu's UI Cheats Extension -- Because it's useful
    • Weerbesu's More_Cas_Columns -- Because it's how the game should have designed CAS in the first place. Scrolling is for chumps.
    • Weerbesu's No Empty Venues when arriving and Improved Autonomy on Loading -- Two mods I didn't know I needed or wanted until I tried them.
    • Zerbu's more CAS presets, More Selectable Icons
    • Various tweaks by Bienchen -- I have over 300 individual .package files that are hers. They make the game 1000x times better.
    • Various tweaks by LittleMsSam -- I have 155 various .package and script mods from her. They assist the above in making the game 1000x better.
    • Carl's Gameplay (difficulty) Overhaul mod -- Because I like my sims to have to work a little bit to earn things.
    • Scumbobo's Don't Wash Dishes where you Angry Poop -- because no sim should wash the dishes in the bathroom.
    • cLinely's Interaction Sorter and Andirz's Better Pie Menu-- Because I'm very OCD about organization, and having the Pie Menus be arranged and ordered exactly how I want them to be pleases me.
    • TMex's mods for Better Build/Buy, No Weather in Build/Buy, All Scenarios and All Cheats - Because they are good
    • Coolspear's Quicker Autonomy and Turbodriver's Simulation Unclogger -- because they keep all the sims active and doing things instead of just standing around with idle animations half the time.
    • TheFoodGroup's Custom Food Interactions and just shy of 100 new foods to go with it -- Because I like food! Especially the additional Vampire-friendly food it adds.
    • Brazenlotus's various modded CC that adds additional game functionality.
    • Ravasheen's various modded CC that adds additional game functionality.
    • PandaSama's modded CC that adds additional game functionality...especially all the toddler stuff!
    • MidniteTech's careers, not all of them..but a lot of them. Especially all of her additional "odd jobs"
    • KiaraSims mods -- a ton of new Event types, traits, aspirations, and more.
    • Kuttoe's mods -- a ton more traits and a minor overhaul of RoM potions
    • Lot51 -- Ding Dong Ditch doorbell. I can never hear when visitors knock on the door. I wanted a doorbell, they gave me one.
    • Lotharihoe -- Various tweaks and fixes that none of the above covered
    • MissyHissy's Hobbymod, Personality Mod and Custom Whimsets -- to give sims more personality and variety.
    • VickySim's Club Filters so I can use all the above added traits (and more) as filters for club admittance.
    • Simvasion -- various bug fixes
    • ThePancake1 -- Some new interactions, like bed cuddling, slow dancing, and more. Also the ability to remove sims from conversations just be right clicking them in the conversation ui in the top center of the screen.
    • Zero's mods -- Various fixes and tweaks to gameplay, plus craftable brooms and wands. Which is awesome. And better ghosts.
    • Many other Miscellaneous mods, including about 50 override and tuning mods I made for myself and several that add new gameplay, like more spells for RoM, more careers, more aspirations, etc.

I add to the list pretty much every time I play. Something comes up in the game that I think should be "different" and I go looking for a mod to do it. If I don't find one, I do it myself.

I'm curious, I have never known of someone else who had quite this many - I totally get the geeking out thing and maintaining them. I love the updating and tweaking process, and I have definitely thought about learning to do some simple things myself. But, do you ever notice an effect on your game performance? And/or are you running on an incredibly high performing desktop PC? I feel like if I had that many it would bog me down, but would love to know if that hasn't been a problem for you!
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
    I use a lot of mods, and agree with UI extension and MCCC being necessary for how I play the game.
    One mod I will mention that I hardly ever see people talk about, and one that I now find completely necessary, is Control Any Sim.
    It temporarily allows you to add a sim to your household so that you may control them like a played sim. It's very handy for telling stories and even in general game play, and I can't imagine playing without it now.

There are so many things I do with this one! A huge one is it solved my problem of having older adults hanging around University, because I play rotationally and I want my Sims at University to be there with their high school classmates who are the same age as them. With this mod, I just grab control of the older Sims and have them drop out of university. I've also used it to initiate break-ups, adjust settings, and so many other things.
    edited April 2022
    @GirafHuntr, the number of mods is not really a factor when it comes to performance, rather what matters is the size and type.

In my case, most of the mods that I use are tuning mods. Which means they are files the game would be loading and running even with no mods at all. The mods just change values within the files. That kind of mod has no impact on game performance.

The mods that will typically have an effect on performance are the script mods, particularly the ones that do a lot and which are constantly doing it. For all the mods I listed as using, I suffer no noticeable performance impact. Very few of them are particularly "active" mods, as in they aren't constantly doing things.
    There are mods which I'd like to use, however, which do cause a noticeable performance hit. Meaningful Stories is one example. I do not use it for that reason.

Basically I take any new mod that isn't just a tuning mod for a test drive and monitor fps and cpu usage and if I notice a dip in performance, I don't keep the mod installed.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,034 Member
    This thread turned out to be exactly what I hoped for, I got so many tips on mods I hadn't tried before. Thank you!!

I especially appreciate the more CAS-columns, the UI cheat extension and the Control any sim - I didn't know what I was missing out on!
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • AndaurilAndauril Posts: 42 Member
    More CAS Columns bc of my enormous CC list, finding anything without it would be a nightmare

Lumpinou's Relationship and Pregnancy Overhaul because of how much depth it adds to inter sim relationships

Lumpinou's LGBTQIA+ mod, even though it's very new its already added so much.

MC Command Center!
  • starrylimastarrylima Posts: 16 Member
    For me MCCC and UI Cheats are essential (that's a given probably). Otherwise:

- Smarter Social & Trait Overhaul (Chingyu)
    - Keep Sims in Home Region (Kuttoe/Shushu)
    - Meaningful Stories (roBurky)
    - Various Autonomy Mods, but mostly MSQ that stop sims doing stuff like dancing, using the computer all the time etc.
    - Cute Romance & Bed Cuddle (thepankcake1) Just essential for adding depth to romantic relationships
    - Sleep All Night & More Best Friends (LittleMissSam)
    - Carl's Gameplay Overhaul

I have a LOT more mods (too many probably lol) that are are small tweaks/cc with extra functions I could live without, but the ones on the list are game changers for me personally.
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2022
    edit: Now that after this update the NPC control is completely broken... this is the mod with which I can't play... I've only been without this mod for 2 days and I want to uninstall the game.

and have some personality pls with Chingyu Faithfulness mod.. i can't play without this T_T
    Post edited by Vanilicious on
  • KimBaptistKimBaptist Posts: 21 Member
    My Pics would be
    MC Controller
    UI Cheats
    Tmex All Cheats
    Instant Upgrade, no delay cheats-( upgrading objects is so painful. Requires too much time. Should have a service you pay someone to do it.)
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I don't use many mods but really like these:

LittleMsSam- NoAutoFoodGrabAfterCooking
    LittleMsSam- MoviesBeQuiet
    Maars- No More Blocky TVs & Projectors.
    Scrumbumbo- Unlisted Phone Numbers.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Chipped in Haunted House Lot Trait Unlocked- turns haunted house into a lot challenge rather than lot type. A must-have if you are making a tiny haunted house.

Wonderful Whims to prevent unwanted romance.

One that prevents stalkers from calling me every hour. This last one is a must-have.

My game is terribly bugged from the latest patch, though, so I don't play anymore.
  • Perti23Perti23 Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 23
    The very first mod I ever downloaded was No Constant Phone mod by lazarusinashes. I used to be very apprehensive about mods. I played vanilla for years. I am the opposite of a computer savvy person and I had an irrational fear that I mess something up and break my game.

But then HSY came out and my sims were suddenly glued to their phones all the time. Even while walking. Especially while walking! It was insufferable. I had enough. I overcame my fear of mods and never looked back. So in retrospect I'm thankful to the developers for adding this awful, awful feature.

To answer your question, No Constant Phone is a mod I can't play without.

MCCC, UI Cheats and Unhidden traits are another must. I don't even use MCCC for its main purpose (story progression) because I play with aging off. But it has so many useful features and toggles that I wouldn't want to play without it anymore.

Invisible Slot Filler saved my sanity. No more dirty plates on half-walls.

Various mods that fix bugs. For example the Milestones Vanishing Fix by Lumpinou was a lifesaver.

So these are the must-have mods. Now a few other mods that aren't necessarily essential to my game but I like them a lot and would miss them dearly if I wasn't able to use them any more.

Frankk's Language Barriers mod. I really enjoy this one. I like the extra challenge that comes with it.

A little mod by Simularity that allows you to choose reading as your liked/disliked activity in CAS.

Countless little mods by LittleMsSam. There are too many to name them all. Probably my favorite one is the one that allows you to choose your bike helmet (or to bike without a helmet) instead of the game assigning you one randomly. I don't understand why this feature isn't in the vanilla game.

All the cute toddler stuff by Pandasama.

Ravasheen's mods. I use the personal diary a lot. Just yesterday I downloaded the cupcake factory substitute and it's going to stay in my mods folder as well.

Scumbumbo's mods. DWDWYAP is no longer needed, but it used to be a lifesaver. Keep Instruments In Inventory is another one I wouldn't want to give up. It used to annoy the heck out of me when my sims just dumped their guitars and violins on the floor and casually walked away.

Avacadoloki's Sulani Events mod. It adds the Sulani festivals to the calendar and gives you a notification when a festival starts. (Again, why is this not in the vanilla game?)

Toddlers & Infants In Parks by Flauschtrud. I love this one!
  • TECHSPERT50TECHSPERT50 Posts: 46 Member
    Some of these mods look souper interesting!! will have to check some out