Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I beg you EA, Sims 5 MUST have this Pseudo-Open World Concept

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
edited September 2022 in Off Topic Chat
(Note: It hasn't been confirmed that Sims 5 will be announced or when it will come out if it is announced - this is all purely speculation for now)

Another concept/proposal in my Sims 5 brainstorming series:

The lot(s) in which an active sim currently exists should act like Sims 2 and 4. It's fully simulated, but there are district boundaries. Having a sim move past a boundary would NOT trigger a loading screen, but would cause a few seconds of delay for a district to preload with activity and sims to make it feel alive. (Advantage here is that, unlike in the Sims 3, these districts would be significantly more populated as you are not having spread thinly ~100 Sims across an enormous map). The non-played Sims would not be viewable until you enter the district and you "load" it. It's not fully open world like the Sims 3, but it should feel more open than Sims 2 and 4.

Additionally, by pressing the map button, you are zoomed out to something similar to the Sims 2 map. It's fully 3D and moveable. There would be tags like in Sims 3. Unlike the Sims 3, the cars and taxis are driving around but as decoration; there's no simulation of every single non-played Sim in the town all at once. But it wouldn't matter since you wouldn't see them anyway in this birds-eye view.

You can click on any of these lots or districts to interact with the world and send sims to them, much like the Sims 3. Each active sim in the household could be in a different district, and clicking on the portraits of the household would warp you between the sims and their current district, much like the Sims 3.

What do you guys think? Is this a good compromise between performance and functionality?
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    This is very close to exactly the way I felt it should have been implemented back when TS3 released. The concept of loading just "districts" as you call them is actually pretty old technology at this point. It's how WoW does it's open worlds and it's how the last half dozen Bethesda RPG's have done it.

I'd take it a bit further though and also say that I would want residential lots to NOT be loaded, even if they are in the same 'district' unless an active sim visits said residential lot. Firstly, because I don't want inactive households to be simulated in any way when I don't have an active sim there, and secondly to save on processing power.

But I definitely would want all community/public lots loaded and running. I wish Sims 4 neighborhoods worked that way.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    All I know is, that I won't buy another sims game that requires loading screens to visit a lot that is next door to my sims home and is literally 2-tiles away from it.

I'm ok with "open neighborhoods" with a loading screen if you enter the next neighborhood. But, I personally refuse to not be able to visit all lots (meaning not just open areas, but actually ALL LOTS, regardless if they are community venues). I absolutely HATE having a loading screen to visit any lot in TS4. I want the neighborhoods to be open so that sims will autonomously visit community lots on their own. And I want to be able to see other sims coming and going to the various lots.

I really enjoyed that about TS3, if my sim got bored they'd just walk down to the neighborhood pool for some socialization and swimming.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I like the neighborhoods in sims 4 but I hope there is a way to visit the "neighborhood" without loading a lot. Idk if that makes sense so I'll use an example. Like with jungle adventure there is a market area that is not on a lot but is accessible when you visit any lot in a particular neighborhood. There is other similar neighborhoods like the city living neighborhoods that have festivals and the hiking paths in Mt. Komorebi.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I like the neighborhoods in sims 4 but I hope there is a way to visit the "neighborhood" without loading a lot. Idk if that makes sense so I'll use an example. Like with jungle adventure there is a market area that is not on a lot but is accessible when you visit any lot in a particular neighborhood. There is other similar neighborhoods like the city living neighborhoods that have festivals and the hiking paths in Mt. Komorebi.

Yes, those in-between spaces around the lots. They really add to the world!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • xToscaxTosca Posts: 9 New Member
    100% agree with this, honestly.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    I'm still waiting for more details in terms of Project Rene. We saw in the BTS Summit there was a playtest. It looked like a downtown square area of a city. They also showed a simulation that had mixed-use housing. I hope that we have open, fully-simulated worlds like these but that we can go to a "map view" to switch between these open worlds. I also hope that Sims in different open worlds can maintain relationships and also travel to one another.