Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are Your Favorite and Least Favorite Sims 3 Expansions Packs?

EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
As the title states. A question that has been asked before, but one that is always fun. The Sims 3 EPs introduce a plethora of new features, we all obviously have our favorites. What are yours?

My personal favorite has to be Ambitions. As somebody whose rather career-oriented IRL, I loved that we finally had the opportunity to follow our sims to work and directly engage with their workspaces and colleagues. Every new profession introduced in Ambitions was fun and engaging IMO, and I loved the skills, especially inventing. Not to mention that Twinbrook is one of my favorite towns in the entirety of The Sims, and the Simbot is my favorite life state.

My least favorite pack has to be Showtime, for a myriad of different reasons. Firstly, the entire premise is simply a re-do of Late Night with a stronger focus on stage performances. That automatically makes many of its features redundant. Secondly, SimPort is simply a bad idea. The Sims, at least for me, has always been a single player experience. I do not want any built-in online features. But a substantial portion of Showtime's features are semi-reliant on it, which of course means that the pack has a bit of a shelf life when EA inevitably shuts down online features for The Sims 3. Thirdly, I didn't really enjoy the careers the EP provided at all. I played with them once, and haven't touched them since. The only reason it remains on my hard drive is due to me occasionally making use of the genie and me finding use for some of the buy mode items. I've played every other EP extensively, most of them since their day of release. Showtime was the only exception as it was the only one I had zero interest in whatsoever, though I obviously did buy it about a year later when it was on sale.

Sadly, polls in The Sims Forums only allow a total of 10 options, so one of the EPs had to be excluded. I selected Into The Future, simply because it was the final EP. Please comment below if that is your favorite EP, however!
Post edited by Ethroptur on

What Are Your Favorite and Least Favorite Sims 3 Expansions Packs? 46 votes

World Adventures
10% 5 votes
Ambitions
17% 8 votes
Late Night
13% 6 votes
Generations
10% 5 votes
Pets
0% 0 votes
Showtime
6% 3 votes
Supernatural
17% 8 votes
Seasons
13% 6 votes
University Life
2% 1 vote
Island Paradise
8% 4 votes

Comments

• jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I just couldn't do without seasons - next comes pets and World adventures. All the rest is possible with CC. Least favorite is Island Paradise. Voilà!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited March 2022
    Ambitions for this sole reason:
    Screenshot-42.jpg
    Detpacks & Meteors - or how to have my Sims in fits of paranoia.
    mainly because their Watcher is a sadist.
    Screenshot-131.jpg
    Just remember it’s not a real Nikkei_Simmer game unless there’s an explosion…

…or five or six…
    Screenshot-127_nuke3.png
    …or a photoshop nuclear weapon involved.

The only reason I got Showtime for was the banana tree. I like bananas. I can do without the rest of it. I don't play the Showtime careers. It was just the sole plantable that made me cough up $19.99CDN. :D

So there you have it:

My favorite EP was: Ambitions
    My least favorite EP was: Showtime.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Currently I play a save in Twinbrook so I just LOVE Ambitions.
    My go to EPs are Ambitions, Generations, University life and Late Night.

My least favourite - probably Pets (don't have the patience in real life too, sorry) and Supernatural (prefer a more realistic game style).
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    My favorite, must-have expansions are Seasons and Generations! Seasons and weather is just a part of life and so should always be included in a life simulator. I just love watching the seasons change, the rain, the fog, the heat waves, etc. And Generations is great because it greatly expands the family aspect of the game. More things to do for kids and teens and making them feel like fully-fleshed out life stages. I'm just really into that stuff.

My least favorite would be Into The Future. I simply don't play with it's features at all. Even with some of my least essential packs, I still use build/buy mode objects and CAS items. Not at all with Into The Future.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I own very little of the Sims 3 packs, I do have seasons, which I love, but Supernatural is my favorite pack.
    I like the supernatural, and to have them altogether was fun, and I love the world that comes with it.
    I would play Sims 3 more, but my current computer can't handle it.
  • EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2022
    My favorite, must-have expansions are Seasons and Generations! Seasons and weather is just a part of life and so should always be included in a life simulator. I just love watching the seasons change, the rain, the fog, the heat waves, etc. And Generations is great because it greatly expands the family aspect of the game. More things to do for kids and teens and making them feel like fully-fleshed out life stages. I'm just really into that stuff.

My least favorite would be Into The Future. I simply don't play with it's features at all. Even with some of my least essential packs, I still use build/buy mode objects and CAS items. Not at all with Into The Future.

It's interesting how many people's perspectives of Generations has changed. I remember when the pack was first announced and released, and the lukewarm reception it received. Many people thought that whilst the new features were great, most of it should have come with the base game to begin with, and could have in the form of free patches. Maybe it's the fact that memory of the price tag has faded. To see so many people love it now is interesting.

Seasons is great. Weather changes moods, plans and has a significant impact on day-to-day life. I quite enjoyed the festivals. Aliens are one of my favorite TS3 life states.

Into The Future is a strange one due to the farfetched nature of its premise. It's a fun gimmick, IMO, and I've returned to it on occasion, but I've never used most of its features or objects in normal gameplay.
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    Supernatural is my favorite pack. I love playing occult Sims. If I wanted to be a human, well, I would just live my life normally, haha. I also love the town Moonlight Falls and all the items that came with the pack.
    Seasons is next in line because it adds a simple but integral aspect of life which is the changing of the seasons and weather. I also find looking at the weather, particularly rainstorms and snow in the Sims oddly soothing.

I don't have a least favorite but if I had to pick I say Pets since that's the one I engage with the least. I like pets irl but after playing with them in the game I just lost interest. I only keep Pets installed for the build/buy items.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Voted "World Adventures" as favorite pack, but that's always a close run; Ambitions would probably be my favorite pack that doesn't contain travel. Least favorite is Island Paradise. I have it, but still never played there, and I hardly ever use any of its features. Showtime would be another option, but I love the clothes and some of the items in there.
    Ethroptur wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people's perspectives of Generations has changed. [...] Maybe it's the fact that memory of the price tag has faded.

I have a save file where I placed all build/buy items from all expansions and stuff packs on lots, not including wallpapers (and clothes, of course). It's just that every single expansion beats every single stuff pack hands down in the "stuff" department, even if you account for the price difference. And let's not start with the store in that regard. Generations doesn't come with a world, but at least several nice buildings. So yeah, I can see how it pales, compared to some other expansions, in the value department, but it's still pretty good. For me, it doesn't matter that much, as I bought much of the stuff not that long ago and got some decent prices for the expansions and packs I wanted.
  • PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 106 Member
    My favorite EP is Generations. I was so excited when it was released back when I was much younger. I'm a family player so things like mood swings for teens and canes for elders grabs my attention!

My least favorite is Showtime but I can also say that I don't really care too much for Ambitions either since its centered around professions. I prefer careers that don't require micromanagement.
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member

It's interesting how many people's perspectives of Generations has changed. I remember when the pack was first announced and released, and the lukewarm reception it received. Many people thought that whilst the new features were great, most of it should have come with the base game to begin with, and could have in the form of free patches. Maybe it's the fact that memory of the price tag has faded. To see so many people love it now is interesting.

Seasons is great. Weather changes moods, plans and has a significant impact on day-to-day life. I quite enjoyed the festivals. Aliens are one of my favorite TS3 life states.

Into The Future is a strange one due to the farfetched nature of its premise. It's a fun gimmick, IMO, and I've returned to it on occasion, but I've never used most of its features or objects in normal gameplay.

@Ethroptur Yeah, I wasn't around when Generations came out, so I didn't know what people thought about it when it was announced. I guess I can see how people might have considered it non-essential, what with it not even coming with it's own town. And I do agree that it's features probably should have been included in the base game, it really would have made it a real life simulator.

I agree with you on Into the Future. That's just what it is, a fun gimmick. You play around with it once to experience it, but it doesn't really factor into everyday play, at least for me. I don't use any of it's features/objects and have never felt the need or want to time travel after I had already done it. That only things I miss from Into the Future is the dip kiss interaction and buying lottery tickets, lol.
  • EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2022
    @Ethroptur Yeah, I wasn't around when Generations came out, so I didn't know what people thought about it when it was announced. I guess I can see how people might have considered it non-essential, what with it not even coming with it's own town. And I do agree that it's features probably should have been included in the base game, it really would have made it a real life simulator.

I agree with you on Into the Future. That's just what it is, a fun gimmick. You play around with it once to experience it, but it doesn't really factor into everyday play, at least for me. I don't use any of it's features/objects and have never felt the need or want to time travel after I had already done it. That only things I miss from Into the Future is the dip kiss interaction and buying lottery tickets, lol.

I think people's newfound love for Generations is due to their disgruntlement with The Sims 4. It was a prime example of devs responding to criticism in a productive manner, which is exactly what the Sims 4 team seemingly aren't doing as of late, thus causing people to re-evaluate Generations' quality. It's a great pack, and an essential one due to how much it contributes, IMO.
    Post edited by Ethroptur on
  • IVXXXVIIVXXXVI Posts: 140 Member
    Most favorite I'd say University Life. This pack is very well made and offers so many things for your sim to do and clothing with hair are nice too. Least favorite I'd say Late Night. Don't get me wrong, I love the apartments, the town, vampires, clothing etc. It's just the fact that every community lot is empty. When my sim goes in a club or lounge or bar, there are always at most 2 sims in the lot which makes it so boring. Annoying paparazzi is the cherry on top.

Honorable mention is seasons, I mean come on that's not favorite, that's essential :D .
    Hp85Jmm.gif
  • QuinnikoliteQuinnikolite Posts: 14 New Member
    > @IVXXXVI said:
    > Most favorite I'd say University Life. This pack is very well made and offers so many things for your sim to do and clothing with hair are nice too. Least favorite I'd say Late Night. Don't get me wrong, I love the apartments, the town, vampires, clothing etc. It's just the fact that every community lot is empty. When my sim goes in a club or lounge or bar, there are always at most 2 sims in the lot which makes it so boring. Annoying paparazzi is the cherry on top.
    >
    > Honorable mention is seasons, I mean come on that's not favorite, that's essential :D .

You gotta delete some of those lots. I usually make sure there are only 1 or 2 bars/clubs in town, and that ensures a full house. Otherwise I use Master Controller to invite people over.
  • QuinnikoliteQuinnikolite Posts: 14 New Member
    Generations, Ambitions, Late Night, University Life, and World Adventures are my favs. (Seasons is just a given necessity, so I don't even like thinking of that as an expansion pack--the game should have come with it automatically!)

I feel like Showtime and Island Life is just okay. They are interesting for a bit when you first get them, but the novelty wears off quickly and there's not much to do with them once you've completed the careers that go with them or did the resort ownership thing.
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    Best is generations and worst is probably showtime. I love the entertainer careers but they are too annoying to keep up with. Also no one comes to watch the shows, which makes everything significantly less epic.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Maybe it's the fact that memory of the price tag has faded.

Probably sticker shock 😁 at the expansion, game and stuff packs packs of the following game assisted in realizing just how good we had it has upped the appreciation for Generations. I missed all that brouhaha since I only came into playing Sims 3 in 2017, long after the release of all the Sims 3 packs.

I play a story-driven legacy narrative so Generations falls right into my alley as far as expansion packs go even though I don’t count it as one of my favorites, it’s a necessary game pack but the way I play (terrorizing my sims), Ambitions is more my cup of tea.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited July 2022
    Ah... Generations. Yep, there was controversy. It wasn't that anyone was disappointed, necessarily, with the content of that expansion - in fact, most people who play the generational style were positively drooling over it - but some people did feel the content was a bit of a money grab and much of the content should have been base game. There has always been a vocal contingent on the boards about how EA structured the expansions and the amount of money invested by those of us who bought each as they were released. And don't let's get started about the store. rofl I own a great deal of store content, tho, and for those who are willing to invest the time, there are ways to do it without spending a fortune. Using 20/20 hindsight, I can unequivocally say that even considering all the expansions at full price, stuff packs, several worlds, mounds of store content, I regret nothing.

As for my favorite expansion... that's a tie between World Adventures and University. Why? Because I'm basing the choice on how often I use the content. While I use Moonlight Falls from Supernatural most often when starting a new save, I'm always going to one of the WA worlds. In every game. And while I don't always send a sim to university, I always use the bowling alley, comic book store and coffee house in my worlds.

Edit to add: Lease favorite is Into the Future. I just don't use it.
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Wow! such a hard choice for favorite. I was there for the beginning of each and every EP and drooling over the prospect. Except for the Showtime EP. Wasn't that big into the show thing. Since that time, however, after doing some research, I came to realize that I use so many things that came with Showtime that I just don't think I could do without it.

But definitely, the one I use the most is World Adventures. Love going on those quests and I still haven't completed them all.

Next would be Seasons. I just love the thunderstorms and snow. And the festivals!

Last fav - Island Paradise. We finally got to use watercraft! From the rowboats to the houseboats, it was the most awesome new thing my sim got to experience. And the diving is beautiful. If you don't like (or more like can't play) the world due to lag, then just put dive lots and watercraft in other worlds. Still very enjoyable.

The one I use the least - got to say Into the Future. Haven't been in a while. But still, I'm glad I got it.

I've spent so much on this game but I just don't regret it. It's been the most fun I've had since I discovered Sims 1. Not to say 2 and 4 are not fun. I play them too. But 3 just has a special place in my heart.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    As a family player i'd have to go with Ambitions and Generations. Ambitions kinda surprised me but thinking about it now, it is the pack I use the most. My least favorite pack would have to be Island Paradise. Nothing wrong with the concept or anything. It's just that to this day I still can't play in Isla Paradiso without my computer throwing a fit. That's if it doesn't crash first. I also don't use anything from that pack as much as I thought I would.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • simpureheartsimpureheart Posts: 39 Member
    Generations is my favourite EP, it added so much to my gameplay (as I loved playing families) and its content became like base game content to me. ITF is my least favourite EP, there was literally nothing I used from it.
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    My favourite EP is Supernatural since it's the reason I brought TS3 in the first place (also, Moonlight Falls is stunning.) Least favourite is Island Paradise, probably. I don't have anything against it but I've never used it.
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Generations and seasons were definitely my favorite expansion packs. They both add so much to the game and make the game fresh again.

Generations made kids and teens finally fun again (which was hard to do after the excellent kids and teens in the sims 2). In fact, this expansion made every life stage feel truly unique and fun. There were either new objects and interactions for practically every life stage in the game, new parties, improved weddings, and much more. While the content doesn't stand out at first sight, it integrates so well into the game that it is basically impossible not to use many of the features in daily sim life.

Seasons also is a pack that effects the whole game. Weather and seasonal activities shake up the game making days, or at least each season feel more unique. The seasonal activities and fairs also add a plethora of group activities that kids and older can partake in (something this game was missing at the start).

My least favorite EP is probably into the future (which was not even mentioned on the poll). This is probably because the content doesn't really ingrate into many situations, unless you specifically want to engage with future stuff.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    mmmh honestly idk what is my favourite cause like theres ones i played the most back then but if i were to play now i might choose whichever ones i did not play the most + my playstyle has changed quite a bit

the least favourite stays though its always gonna be university cause not only is stuff in that pack truly underwhelming recap of what already is there in other packs i found the university to be real pain in the butt to play with due to my perfectionism so i never really did and i wouldnt like to now either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2022
    For me my favorite is Into the Future, not sure why as I'm usually not into sci-fi but I've always loved that pack.

Least favorite would probably have to be university. I bought it on the off-chance that it might appeal to me, but as soon as I sent a sim there I didn't like the world at all so I never properly played with it. I do like the roommate feature though so I don't really regret buying it. Second least favorite for me is Generations, just because I don't play families. It's the only sims expansion I haven't bought in 12 years, and I don't have any desire to buy it as I don't think I'd use anything from it. :#
  • gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    edited July 2022
    It's tough because most of the expansion packs were filled with content and had great gameplay. If I had to choose, I'd go with Seasons. Closely followed by Pets. Both of these packs added so much content, I could literally play the game with just these 2 packs only.
    My least favourite is between Showtime and Generations. Showtime got boring pretty quickly for me and the world wasn't great. Generations I know controversial but I never really got into it, for me it didn't add much to my gameplay and a lot of the features felt like they slowed me down, I get that's the point of the pack, to embrace the moments of your sims lives but it's not for me.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif