March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which The Sims game has the best child/teen gameplay ?

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
Hi,

Which game makes your child/teen sims happy ?

(Note: Baby and Toddler are excluded.)

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

Which The Sims game has the best child/teen gameplay ? 91 votes

The Sims
0%
The Sims 2
46%
LeGardePourpreleigheIsb917DijktafoneCynnamaggiemae8135AnmirlaCinebarDarkLady2788Yautjagirlpeterskywalkerskybird14taydevDaravibixtersSunflowergal227annaliese39jazzunicornsSorak4LatinaBunny 42 votes
The Sims 3
38%
icmnfrshClothoFigwitheiblumesimgirl1010Moon_WillowArchivistairotciv54davina1221sparkietothemaxduhboy2u2TeeSeaAlexaKryZerbus_stutlerbenson2006viola-illyriamariajane216pandabear1836king_of_simcity7 35 votes
The Sims 4
15%
EvvieSimmerStormkeephaneulfriendlysimmersToriebluelightingKathykinsmikaMonaveilsuperkyle221RememberJoyGallopingStarrTawkCordeliaBeaufort 14 votes

Comments

• viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    The Sims 3
    TS3, especially if you have the Generations expansion. There's so little for kids to do in the other games.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2022
    The Sims 3
    Sims 3 has the best gameplay content, but Sims 2 animations and behavior are superior
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited March 2022
    The Sims 2
    Sims 2 teens are superior and nothing you say will ever convince me otherwise

they were like peak teen
    the teenest teen can be
    more teen than i could ever be :lol:

the kids... debatable but in all honesty I've always found kids little dull between toddlers and teens so idk anyway

I suppose for me they peaked in ts1 where they could do magic and own dragons
    also they could go to magic town and ride bunch of horrifying clown machines that sort of helped me have more fun with them and play them more
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    The Sims 2
    i had generations, but TS3 was a bit buggy so i never really played it much. but lots of things to do for kids.
    However TS2 is cool with both kids and teens. Kids in TS2, can do homework, gain any skills like their parents/ brother or sister, they can also play and grab leftovers from the fridge. for Teens in TS2, they also go to school, can sneak out, can learn to drive, and babysit a toddler or baby. and get scholarships for school like for getting an A and being adopted.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    The Sims 3
    TS3 was the best, if you had the Generations Expansion pack. Teens could egg houses, pull pranks, go to school dances, have crushes , learn to drive, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Children were equally represented, as they could have an imaginary friend, play in a treehouse, dress up like various characters and act out that character.

TS2 children were the best BASE GAME versions though. Children could jump on their bed, they laughed and were loud and crazy. They had a number of games they could play outside together, even before they added the Hobbies pack. They acted like kids. They weren't proper. They climbed up on their chairs at the table, sat different... they acted like kids. Teens were rude and unpredictable. They looked like teens, got acne, and mood swings. TS2 also had random snow days for your Sim children. Tbh, there wasn't much gameplay associated with TS2 for teens though. It was more, how they looked. TS3 had more in gameplay for teens. Children were better represented in TS2.

When you compare them both to TS4- Its a lose lose situation. I like that the parents can cuddle the children, and that the children are able to sit and talk to their parents, while doing their homework. I like that the parents can help them with their homework and their school projects (I'm pretty sure school projects made their debut in TS4, but I could be wrong) That about ends it for me. The children don't really laugh or play like they do in the other versions. They don't really act like kids. They don't jump on their beds or have treehouses and dress up chests where they can just be kids. They look too grown IMO... the kids in the other renditions of the Sims, acted like they were 6-8 years old. The children in TS4, act like they are 10-12... which is awkward, because they also look like they're 6-8. Teens are a mess. They're basically, adults. They have the exact same clothing as the adults have. They have the exact same hair. The only thing they can't do is get married and have babies. They can move out, they can cook, they can go anywhere they want. They aren't even different heights. If I had to choose the worst version of the Teens and Children in the Sims franchise, it would be TS4. (without mods) - Because seriously, Modders have rescued them both, and they're my favorite in the TS4 (with Mods) - compared to all renditions. BUT. I don't need Mods to play with them and enjoy them in the other Sim versions, that is the difference.

Final:
    Favorite Children - TS2
    Favorite Teen - TS3
    Worst Child and Teen - TS4
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    The Sims 3
    Simmingal wrote: »

they were like peak teen
    the teenest teen can be

the kids... debatable but in all honesty I've always found kids little dull between toddlers and teens so idk anyway

also they could go to magic town and ride bunch of horrifying clown machines that sort of helped me have more fun with them and play them more

-- Wait wait. They added Teens in TS1 with the Magic Pack? How did I not know this ??? :O
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    The Sims 4
    I picked TS4. :o
    I liked the teens in TS3, but I absolutely hated some of the Generations gameplay. The driving, the pranks, the dance rabbit-hole stuff... that was all fun, but I hated how little control I had over parenting in TS3. Sometimes my teens stayed out late because they were busy doing things that I needed them to do, but TS3 tried to enforce a curfew. TS3 also forced parents to autonomously discipline teens for various things, which was immersion breaking and I hated it so much. I prefer TS4 in this respect because we have way more control over parenting. There are several options when it comes to disciplining or even not disciplining children/teens. I also like how many more clothing options there are for teens now that they are the same size as YA/Adults/Elders. Most of the events (like prom) for teens in TS3 were rabbit holes, so I didn't really care that much about them. I can make a non-rabbit hole event just as easy in TS4. Getting groups of Sims together is also so much easier in TS4. So my teen Sims get to hang out and do stuff together.

I also really like how the children in TS4 have their own aspirations. Compared to TS2/TS3 it makes the gameplay a bit more challenging to me because first we need to max out the relevant childhood skills before moving on to the adult ones. With TS2, even though that had more difficult needs-based gameplay, my Sims would have all skills maxed before they were (young) adults, which I didn't enjoy.

I love the void critters, the puppet show, and all the children items in the Sims 4. I also really like how children interact with each other, animals, and toddlers.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    The Sims 2
    I picked TS2 because it didn’t treat children like babies and teens actually looked like teens. In TS4, they're almost indistinguishable from young adults and children can barely do anything, TS1 didn’t have teens and I never played TS3.

s_stutler wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

they were like peak teen
    the teenest teen can be

-- Wait wait. They added Teens in TS1 with the Magic Pack? How did I not know this ??? :O
    No, Simmingal was talking about kids in that last paragraph.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    The Sims 2
    As much as I love TS3, TS2 teens win hands down.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    The Sims 2
    Xylophone for a toddlers, drums for kids, bass for teenagers for performing in a band, that'sall I remember, but I miss these music instruments and I wish I would get them back in Sims 4. Just played vanilla sims 3, there they didn't existed at the time I've played it.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    The Sims 4
    I voted the same as @Hanuel, but wasn't able to express exactly why. She did a fine job of stating my feelings for me though.

Plus I feel that the toddlers in TS4 are most definitely the best the series has ever had, especially after adding in all of PandaSama's toddler CC.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    It depends if toddlers are included as children, because I do think the Sims 4 toddlers are the best. And I love the Sims Freeplay toddlers too, so cute. So I think Sims 4 parenting is more fun because of this and the pregnancy stage is more fun. With toddlers and pregnancy I would pick Sims 4.

Specifically, just with the child and teen age though, then overall I would pick Sims 2, because I feel like there were just more hobbies, games and interactive toys and objects for them. I still hope another pack is coming though that will add some more of that. I really enjoyed the ballet hobby for kids with the Sims 2 Freetime pack and the ballet, martial arts, diving hobbies for kids with Sims Freeplay.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The Sims 2
    Sims 3 Generations was big for children and teens but I'm going Sims 2 they just had so much work put into them they felt unique and were given what they needed to play at that age. Sims 4 now just feels like a joke kids feel like mini adults with less to do while teens are just adults with less to do.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    The Sims 2
    Elliandre wrote: »
    It depends if toddlers are included as children

It's about Child and Teen, Baby and Toddler are excluded.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    The Sims 3
    Sims 3 had the best teen gameplay.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    The Sims 3
    I am going to lean towards 3 because I have more memories playing with the system there and still do occasionally, but they were pretty decent in 2 as well. Teens and children had a number of things to do in 2 and 3 that they do not now.

I will caveat for toddlers, though. I hated 3's. There were some interesting things to do with them, but they were so needy I despised them. 2's, too. 4's toddlers are my favorite with them.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    The Sims 2
    This is more biased, because even though I have Sims 3, my version of it overheats my current computer. So, I am not using Sims 3 in what I prefer.
    I chose Sims 2, because I feel that there was so much to do with Children and Teen Sims. In Sims 4, they are just kind of there. One thing I liked is that teen Sims were shorter to young adults, and even adults. They could learn to drive, and had to ask or sneak out if they wanted to go out after curfew. Also they had quirks that were pretty funny, I have had teen Sims pretend to be a pirate in the bathtub if they were bored. Children also got to be kids, and most stuff was evenly split between all age ranges, instead of favoring mostly young adults.
    Children and Teens are easier in Sims 4, and I like that packs came out for kids and toddlers, which added things I loved. I also like how a teen can live by themselves, without having to use a cheat to do so in the Sims 2, but overall I like Sims 2 when it comes to kids and teens.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    The Sims 2
    Hmmm, I have a hard time choosing, lol! Teens and children are different from game to game, and I like children more in some games and teens in other games.

Sims 2, Sims 3 (with Generations), and Sims 4 (with Parenthood and Kid pack and a few patches that added in some family play like cooking together, etc) all bring something to the table for children and teens, but especially children.

Sims 2 and Sims 3 have a lot of children and teen gameplay, especially teens with teen-related situations and Sims 2 has children being able to play and interact without toys/objects like in Sims 4.

However, Sims 4 has Parenthood and Kid Pack and “do some stuff together” features that adds more family play control and more children’s stuff for children to interact with.

So, yeah, hmm… Really hard decision for me, heh! 😅

For teens, it’s between Sims 2 and Sims 3 (with Generations). Sims 3 would probably win in teen category for me. I don’t like the adult looking Sims 4 teens. (I prefer playing Young Adult and skip that teen stage in Sims 4, since the teen stage felt lackluster.)

For Children, it’s between Sims 2 and Sims 4 (with Parenthood, Kids Pack, and the added features like cooking together, doing science projects together, etc) for me. Sims 3 had some stuff, but I remembered having more fun with children in Sims 2 and now Sims 4. Sims 3 felt more for teens.

Oof, still can’t decide! 😄 They are two separate stages that felt different depending on the game for me.

I tend to prefer playing the baby, toddler, and children stages instead of teen stage, for my family play aspects, so I would have to say either Sims 2 or Sims 4.

Hmmmmmmmm….I’ll put Sims 2, because the game had so much details and the baby was not an object, lol.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited April 2022
    The Sims 2
    Sims 2 Teens. They can have relationships for the first time, have limited romantic interactions (First Kiss is always an adorable cut-scene), earn scholarships for college, age up early for college, work, have friends of any age, etc. This game had the best gameplay of any in the series.

Also, the Family Fun and Teen Style Stuff Packs added content for teens that expand decorating rooms and wardrobes for Teen Sims.

Also, Teens in Sims 2 look and act more like Teens than other games. They are shorter than adults and they show their personality different from other versions.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    The Sims 2
    It's a hard choice to make because I like aspects from all Sims games.
    Sims 1 had the playground for kids to play on.
    Sims 2 had the games and interactions between children and teens and private school.
    Sims 3 had after school activities.
    Sims 4 Parenthood brings a lot for children's and teen's behaviour development that impacts them as adults.

Overall I have gone with Sims 2 for the games and ways teens and children interacted. If these were brought into Sims 4 along with the playground and more after school activities then 4 would be the winner.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 3
    The Sims 3. The gameplay was similar to children but that homework was slightly less daunting. I remember being annoyed with how much homework my kids and teens where expected to do in TS2 and some even got take away!

Obviously judging by expansion backs as well TS3 did have a Family related EP which added more for those age groups.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • iThreeMusketsiThreeMuskets Posts: 11 New Member
    The Sims 3
    > @viola-illyria said:
    > TS3, especially if you have the Generations expansion. There's so little for kids to do in the other games.

Very true and lets be honest, TS4 should be disqualified from this poll considering there is no generations :weary:
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    The Sims 3
    Playgrounds, driving, bikes for kids, and just more for them to do all the way around. I hate how little playground stuff there is in the Sims4. Even though we're not talking about toddlers, even toddlers had riders for the playground and I don't know why they haven't made it to the Sims4??? They did nothing but bounce up and down and look cute, but they added so much to playgrounds.

Babysitters are real in the Sims3 and watched kids too, which added to the experience of both.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    The Sims 2
    Forgot to add to my last post in this discussion.

In the Sims 2 University EP, you could send a Teen to any Community Lot with an electronics kiosk. They could get a cell phone, MP3 player and handheld video game. I did this with a few Teens before I sent them to college. They could take those items in their inventory. They could gift those items to anyone they wanted (I don't remember if the children could use the phones. They could definitely use the other items).

Kids had so many adorable interactions and actions they autonomously do in the game also. Dancing with family members (standing on their feet); running to family members with great report cards (a scholarship for them when they became Teens); etc. They had a few interactive games with other child Sims. I don't remember everything but it was all so adorable.
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    The Sims 2
    The sims 2 is hands down the best version of kids and teens in the sims franchise (sims 3 does come close with generations).
    The reason they were so good in the sims 2 is that they not only looked their age, but acted like it too.

First up here is what made kids so good in the sims 2.
    • Had unique interactions with other kids such as playing games (cops and robbers, marry mack, tag, etc)
    • Could still play many games with older sims or family members (Red hands, be swung around, be tickled, show of handstand, cartwheel or Somersault)
    • Performed certain interactions differently (e.g. would climb up on chairs rather than pull them out, or would be more fidgety when sitting on sofas)
    • Could interact with almost all objects in the game (aside from workbenches/stations exercise machines, stoves, and cars)
    • Could learn all the 7 regular skills (even through studying books)
    • Had fun hidden gameplay/interactions such as showing parents their A+ report cards when coming home from school, or hugging their parents when they return from work, or crying when seeing their parents fight.
    • Had needs that drained differently than older sims
    • Always felt like they got some gameplay content in each new expansion pack (or at least weren't excluded from all the stuff).
    Overall children in the sims 2 were perfection. They could be played as either childish jumping on beds sofas, and playing all day, or you could make them more mature and serious doing things like painting, reading, and playing instruments (piano or violin).

The sims 3 also has good children if you get generations, however, there seems to be a lot of restrictions for them unless you mod the game. Unlike the sims 2 Children can't play instruments or garden, however this is all fixed with the mod No Stretch' Children can Series . Furthermore thanks to TheSweetSimmer, children can perform almost all interaction with toddlers (like adults can) with correct animations. I still miss the play menu between sims but with mods, children are almost as good as the sims 2.

Here is what teens good in the sims 2
    • Can get acne/pimples
    • have a different height and different face than adults (especially for boy teens)
    • Can sneak out of the house/ask for permission to go out of the house
    • Perform certain interactions differently (e.g. appreciate/admire, and certain flirt interactions such as the squeeze hug or making out in the hot tub).
    • Can still play with playground equipment (Sometimes differently than kids though, e.g. hanging out in the playground tower)
    • Have need drain differently than adults (e.g. social goes down much faster).
    • Can interact with every object in the game. (I think).
    • Different voice than adults.
    Overall: Teens in the sims 2 are fantastic. They look just like teens with slightly more babyish faces as well as acne, and have some fun unique gameplay.

The sims 3 also has fantastic teens, and with generations, they are superior to the sims 2. While they don't have acne and their faces and voice are similar to adults, they have excellent unique gameplay associated with them. They can pull pranks, attend prom, learn to drive, and much more.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever