The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morale is Rock Bottom? How do you feel about the state of the Sims

Comments

• Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    I'll believe it when I actually have a bug-free game. I've lost all hope for Sims anymore. There are games built by single developers or a small group that run better than this. Not being mean, I've seen it. A few indie games with a low amount of bugs:

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters
    The Infected- this one is huge, as it features building, cooking, and an open world- things that Sims 3 had- among other things. Only bug I've notices was a set of stairs that you had to jump over to reach the top- that's it.

Why are indie devs (AKA independent game developers, sometimes in a team) able to fix and have less bugs than big AAA companies, who have more experienced developers?

Heck, look at Five Nights at Freddy's. The game series was made by a single man who also tested his own creations, with the help of his sons on occasion in case he missed something. That is until FNAF Help Wanted, where it became an AAA title. But the point still stands, an indie dev who made a franchise all on his own and did the QA on top of everything else.

Game play is far more important than graphics as well. Ie: Bigger yet? Minecraft. The artwork isn't that much, but the game play made it great. It blew up so much, that a company bought it for a ridiculous price. One person came up with that.

I wish AAA companies would build games that were less ambitious for the sake of having fewer bugs. I doubt it would happen, though. I would willingly trade off the graphics of Sims 4 for more game play and fewer bugs in a heartbeat.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 784 Member
    I'm an unwavering supporter of EA and the Sims. I'm extremely satisfied right now
    I too feel the gameplay is more important. I always expect a few bugs, which is probably normal for any new game at first. But most often they do get fixed. The graphics in Sims 4 are really good, and I enjoy the graphics being improved from the previous games. The worlds/neighborhoods in Sims 4 are beautiful! But the worlds are filled with areas that are empty. I would prefer more lots and the ability to creat our own neighborhoods as we them, instead of being so limited. That's one thing I enjoyed in Sims 2 and 3, the ability to create a town my Sims can enjoy rather than having to go to another world to go bowling, eat out, etc. I would love to be able to have more community lots in my towns but don't because a want the residential lots as well. I use Newcrest for my community lots so my Sims go there for fun, but still not the same as having places to go in your own neighborhood. I do love that Sims 4, with all the packs, has so many gameplay options such as adventuring in the jungle, winter sports in the mountains, Strangerville mystery, and all the jobs that are active in the packs. Looking forward to returning to my games, once these bugs are fixed! Hopefully my old saves aren't affected. I would really dislike having to delete my past games and starting fresh if the bugs interfere with them even after being fixed. Hopefully any fix will also fix the current saves.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,055 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    I wish AAA companies would build games that were less ambitious for the sake of having fewer bugs.

It's a big contrast with the players who want the games to be interactive movies with realistic graphic.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,018 Member
    edited August 2022
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    The only reason I didn't chose rock bottom is because I recognize that the developers are sometimes at the mercy of their employer (in this case EA) to provide proper funding for their projects. That being said, I don't think there's any good excuse for the state Sims 4 is currently in (most notably the bugs introduced with the last expansion). They could be doing much better and, in my opinion, have with previous installments of The Sims.

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but if more packs could get remakes like Spa Day did that would go a long way. At this point doing that and fixing the outstanding bugs are really the only way the developers can regain my support. In my personal opinion, Sims 4 has far too little content for the amount of money being charged. At this point, I see no possibility of being interested in a Sims 5.
    edited August 2022
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    There are several factors

1. No EP was released in November : it's unusual to miss Xmas.
    2. My Wedding Stories was released : As if it was released earlier.
    3. Pronoun update is English only : But Maxis page says it's available for all the languages for months.
    4. NPC Overhaul : Caliente family isn't done yet.
    5. Sexual Orientation : another big update
    6. New organization in 2021 : New GM and new producers
    7. New teams in 2020 : Maxis Austin and Europe

And High School was in the survey 2020, only 2 years of development. Generally there are 3 years between the survey and the release date.

It's not an excuse but I will understand if 2022 and 2023 are a little chaotic.

• ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,008 Member
    If there was an option to change what you can vote for, currently I’m at:

‘My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again‘

The constant patches and updates make having mods frustrating. There’s a dining room set and the plant life kit I haven’t used in a year.

Constant problems being able to play offline.

Unable to no to SDX drops. I’m not one to accept everything because it’s free. I don’t get that.

The packs are released too early. Too many kits. Werewolves looking like big cats.

The only highlight this year so far for me has been Little Campers Kit.

High School needs work.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    edited August 2022
    @ncisGibbs02

SDX is a temporary state before being included in game update.
    Since 2014, new content (dishwasher, lounge chair, bunk beds) has been added for free by game updates.
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    It's not enough. We have seen how they "get rid of bugs" for years now. And new content introduces new bugs.
  • DarkwingzDarkwingz Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'll believe it when I actually have a bug-free game. I've lost all hope for Sims anymore. There are games built by single developers or a small group that run better than this. Not being mean, I've seen it. A few indie games with a low amount of bugs:

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters
    The Infected- this one is huge, as it features building, cooking, and an open world- things that Sims 3 had- among other things. Only bug I've notices was a set of stairs that you had to jump over to reach the top- that's it.

Why are indie devs (AKA independent game developers, sometimes in a team) able to fix and have less bugs than big AAA companies, who have more experienced developers?

Heck, look at Five Nights at Freddy's. The game series was made by a single man who also tested his own creations, with the help of his sons on occasion in case he missed something. That is until FNAF Help Wanted, where it became an AAA title. But the point still stands, an indie dev who made a franchise all on his own and did the QA on top of everything else.

I can't remember who got burn-out from the game's community drama-lama... Scott Cawthorn or Toby Fox.
    Maxis/EA aren't indie and have to meet expectations of investors and sponsors. (Which is no longer as bulky as FIFA bankroll.)
    In the case of Nintendo, that's been visible to it's consumers as a quarterly schedule.
    Indies have a smaller team, so communicating bugs is a thousand percent more efficient and effective than something like SEGA emailing PSO2NGS bugs to the SEGA JP division. (emails are pretty much standardized communication for larger companies)

Indies can freely choose to continue a franchise or work with one of their passions; that's what Toby Fox has done with occasional official Pokémon soundtracks. With the way the TS4 team has been trying to be as diverse and inclusive as Disney Dreamlight Valley, I'm thinking that some design-work apprenticeship for Disney would do them some good in seeing the difference between the company standards.
    (Because tbh, if Disney were to ever reach for Sims property, it wouldn't have the darker themes in it anymore.
    TS1-TS4 might even become lost media in such a buyout.)

Back before the technology boom of 2010's, Game Freak had dozens of bugs pop-up in Pokémon, but that (Bad Egg) was always an intended side-effect of bypassing/altering the system's coding. Nowadays, the only way you can see stuff as crippling as that is if you're an apprentice like ILCA and you're not paying attention to the old code and modern revisions/patches to that data.

So TLDR: TS4 debug team just doesn't test as efficiently/retain as much experience as the uber-tier nerds at Nintendo.
    It's not entirely bad, just normalized modern company expectations compared to hardcore employees who work the same code for 50+ years while learning new code along the journey of technology growth.
    You can search for my builds with EA Account ID: MASTERDARKWINGZ
    No longer taking build requests/questions, sorry.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited August 2022
    @ncisGibbs02

SDX is a temporary state before being included in game update.
    Since 2014, new content (dishwasher, lounge chair, bunk beds) has been added for free by game updates.

I don’t understand why there’s no option to decline free stuff whether by a drop or base game update.
    If you want a new pack, you have to update. It’s a very frustrating system.

The main issue for me is I’ve barely used anything free.
    Half the time I don’t want the item added.
    Quarter I can never find.
    So I use only a quarter. But everything is there taking up space.

It would be helpful to have some kind of marker not only what’s been newly added but tracking added by update as a category, like you search by pack/colour etc.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters

Game play is far more important than graphics as well. Ie: Bigger yet? Minecraft. The artwork isn't that much, but the game play made it great. It blew up so much, that a company bought it for a ridiculous price. One person came up with that.

I wish AAA companies would build games that were less ambitious for the sake of having fewer bugs. I doubt it would happen, though. I would willingly trade off the graphics of Sims 4 for more game play and fewer bugs in a heartbeat.

I can't play Minecraft because it gives me motion sickness (it's the only game that does and I have no idea why xO) but I agree. The game is stylised but the mechanics are solid, which is what makes the game last longer than many older titles.

I also agree, it's why many people go back to TS2&3, despite the very aged graphics, because the gameplay is rocksolid. You an forgive a few bugs or even FPS drops when there is a variety of gameplay to more than make up for it.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    Darkwingz wrote: »

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters

I can't remember who got burn-out from the game's community drama-lama... Scott Cawthorn or Toby Fox.
    Maxis/EA aren't indie and have to meet expectations of investors and sponsors. (Which is no longer as bulky as FIFA bankroll.)
    In the case of Nintendo, that's been visible to it's consumers as a quarterly schedule.
    Indies have a smaller team, so communicating bugs is a thousand percent more efficient and effective than something like SEGA emailing PSO2NGS bugs to the SEGA JP division. (emails are pretty much standardized communication for larger companies)

Indies can freely choose to continue a franchise or work with one of their passions; that's what Toby Fox has done with occasional official Pokémon soundtracks. With the way the TS4 team has been trying to be as diverse and inclusive as Disney Dreamlight Valley, I'm thinking that some design-work apprenticeship for Disney would do them some good in seeing the difference between the company standards.
    (Because tbh, if Disney were to ever reach for Sims property, it wouldn't have the darker themes in it anymore.

Back before the technology boom of 2010's, Game Freak had dozens of bugs pop-up in Pokémon, but that (Bad Egg) was always an intended side-effect of bypassing/altering the system's coding. Nowadays, the only way you can see stuff as crippling as that is if you're an apprentice like ILCA and you're not paying attention to the old code and modern revisions/patches to that data.

So TLDR: TS4 debug team just doesn't test as efficiently/retain as much experience as the uber-tier nerds at Nintendo.
    It's not entirely bad, just normalized modern company expectations compared to hardcore employees who work the same code for 50+ years while learning new code along the journey of technology growth.

I know Scott was forced to retire from FNAF due to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 drama related to his personal life (and his drama was literally minor in comparison to some of the antics of other Indie devs like HN, BaTIM and Poppy Playtime) Toby Fox, IIRC took a step back for a while, but is still slowly working on Deltarune last I heard anyway feel free to correct me.

I do agree that EA doesn't need to meet expectations, but they really should since it will cost them not only sponsorships but also their audience and as a business they should know that a quality product means more profit. But I guess that's a bit hard for them to grasp, since they're only a step above Blizzard at this point.

I really wish that the amount of debugging and QA testing that is done in Japan would become normalised in the West, like at least companies in Japan know that a quality product sells. EA USED to know this, but it seems in their corporate greed, they have forgotten. xO
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • DarkwingzDarkwingz Posts: 83 Member

I can't play Minecraft because it gives me motion sickness (it's the only game that does and I have no idea why xO) but I agree. The game is stylised but the mechanics are solid, which is what makes the game last longer than many older titles.

I also agree, it's why many people go back to TS2&3, despite the very aged graphics, because the gameplay is rocksolid. You an forgive a few bugs or even FPS drops when there is a variety of gameplay to more than make up for it.

Your motion sickness probably has something to do with motion blur or the camera speed/angle.
    It's essentially your feet are planted on the floor, but your eyes are seeing something moving, and your brain just says to feels worse/out of balance.

I've been having issues with TS4 where no matter the best updates/upgrades that were done, the walls constantly flash.
    I've had to uninstall/reinstall, but it just keeps being a nuisance.
    The only other instances that this happens is in games with graphical J-flashing of layers,
    but instead of patching the issue for lower spec PCs than the current $1k+ market, staff always play ignorant in favor of profitable suggestions.

You can search for my builds with EA Account ID: MASTERDARKWINGZ
    No longer taking build requests/questions, sorry.

Your motion sickness probably has something to do with motion blur or the camera speed/angle.
    It's essentially your feet are planted on the floor, but your eyes are seeing something moving, and your brain just says to feels worse/out of balance.

I've been having issues with TS4 where no matter the best updates/upgrades that were done, the walls constantly flash.
    I've had to uninstall/reinstall, but it just keeps being a nuisance.
    The only other instances that this happens is in games with graphical J-flashing of layers,
    but instead of patching the issue for lower spec PCs than the current $1k+ market, staff always play ignorant in favor of profitable suggestions.

You're probably right, I always turn off motion blur and film grain in games like Cyberpunk and Mass Effect (because it also takes away from the eyegasam that are the graphics :open_mouth: )

Oh so I'm not the only one who's been having issues with walls flashing in and out of existence constantly, I thought it was just a thing with my game. I'm playing on a reasonably ok laptop, (Alienware M17) which I would consider the low end of this brand of gaming PC's and laptops. And I'm having so much trouble with FPS drops and the game lagging, heck I had such a delay in simulation delay that my sim almost died of starvation (the bug where they stand still but time still progresses and their needs just plummet)

Seriously though, it reminds me of when people say that "the engine for TS4 is bad/weak so it can run on low-end PC's" when that is an outright lie, this game hardly functions. The team knows it, but they just pretend not to notice.

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters

In other words, EA/Maxis will never amount to what a single indie dev can do?

Ugh.

And, FYI, for indies, games are not just a mere form of entertainment. Some indies make a real living off what they do. One guy I saw on YouTube claimed he made as much money building his own games as he did working on AAA games for a company. Guess what he opted to do...?

Not that it's easy, it just beats working a daily grind at some other business.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I think its a great game for what it is. That said, there are things I'd love to see happen and directions I'd love to see it go. I just have to remind myself, fairly often, that The Sims 4 is NOT The Sims 2 or 3. Completely different game with the same theme. When I need a "fix" for what the other three offer (1-3), I simply boot them up and play them instead. As far as building goes, even though there are a few options 3 had that 4 doesn't, I much much prefer Sims 4. For adventure and exploration style play its 3 all the way and if I want an excellent life sim that's not quite as challenging as Sims 1, I go for Sims 2.

TlDr: They're all different but great in their own way. They all had problems that I had concerns with/for, but they were all worth while dispite the issues.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,933 Member
    I packs keep breaking the game to the point it's unplayable.

Like TS2 and TS3 did in only 4 years with less packs …
    At least it's a live service, they keep doing laundry lists instead of putting the game in the trash bin.

I like this long term commitment.

Not to disagree, but TS2 is still highly playable on my Windows 10 machine. No mods to prop it up or give life support, either. I don't do TS3 much, never have, but it runs just fine on said Win 10 machine as well. All packs loaded and available. No version of this game is perfect, each has its strengths and weaknesses, each can do some things the others can't. Still, in view of the age and limitations of the engine it's time to put this old horse to pasture and let a younger, and hopefully healthier, one do the running.
    edited August 2022
    @Oldeseadogge

Why MATY has a ton of mods/fixes for TS2 ?
    Why EA recommends to use only 3 packs at a time for TS3 ?

But it's okay if you prefer to ignore the facts, it doesn't matter at the end.

Gen Z and Gen Alpha will decide the future of the franchise.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,933 Member
    Why bother with 'a ton of mods/fixes' when they are not needed? Never had the issues with TS3, even on older machines, and still loaded up. The current I7 just makes it easier.

More a matter of examining said facts, evaluating them in the context of how much I play and in what manner, deciding on a course of action, and proceeding accordingly. In the end, as far as gaming goes, what matters is whether a given gamer enjoys their gaming time and can relax a bit from the stresses and hassles of RL.
    edited August 2022
    @Oldeseadogge

Never had issues with TS4 but does it really mean they don't exist ?

I guess we will never agree due to our different experience.
    @LeGardePourpre , may I ask what you're trying to get at by constantly commenting? :) I don't think it's wrong for people to vent about Sims 4 if they didn't like it. As I stated before, games are like shoes- it's excellent for some, and not so for others. It's not that those of us who think Sims 4 is bad dislike Sims altogether, of course- otherwise we wouldn't be on this very forum. On the contrary, we just want to see things get better.

If you had no issues, great! However, there still needs to be help for those who do.
    @Gamer_34567544

May I ask what you're trying to get at by constantly commenting?

Fix Sims 4, or wait for Sims 5?
    What should EA fix in Sims 4 first?
    A few good thoughts on the hot fix
    Sims 4: Pay for DLCs, or postpone new DLCs for bug fixes? No happy middle.
    Too broken to play.
    Stop and fix it!

edited August 2022
    @LeGardePourpre Me? I'm trying to get EA to fix the bugs. I'm fed up with 'em.

Your turn?
    @Gamer_34567544

But you give no detail about the issues, it doesn't help to fix it.
    And Support team only read the AHQ forum.
    The SimGurus are only focused on the upcoming content.

edited August 2022
    Um... I mentioned specific stuff several times, actually.

Mentions (and growing):

I wish lifestyles were in one of these categories instead. Workaholic at the PC doesn't mean one is sedentary, it means they are busy. Staying indoors as a vampire doesn't mean they are indoorsy, they just can't go out in the sunlight. Someone with an eco house doesn't not use a computer because they are technophobes- they don't have enough power to keep running it. I've played a programmer/scientist with that predicament- and they somehow get the technophobe trait? Unrealistic.

And yes, someone mute that (GRRRRR!!!) phone! I can't stand playing occults and having so many calls about duels, how to be a vampire, yadda yadda yadda. My poor Sim can't even have friends over without someone calling about something. My Sim actually has a life, and is not overly rich. What should it do, cancel every get together, vacation, restaurant dinner, and cooking for children for a party every night? And if I want to go to a festival, I will go, don't call me about it. The game is too focused on socials with pixelated people.

Huh. I guess to turn off fame, I have to step into the spotlight, and then step back out. Super annoying, tho.

Lol. They gave us an option to turn off wants and fears, but it doesn't work.

Sims are really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 all of a sudden. Vampires autonomously going out in the sunlight, not being able to change into weather appropriate outfits autonomously, my vampire suddenly goes into dark form autonomously all of a sudden, feeling sad about losing fame after quitting the spotlight, autonomy…

I was using the simple living lot trait, and then the game mentioned that a random townie was starving. It's a nasty bug, and I don't have MCC.

I don't feel like fishing for more very specific comments I've made.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top