Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morale is Rock Bottom? How do you feel about the state of the Sims

Comments

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    3 > 4 in this case. The experience here lacks pretty much everything. They should have fixed the lag and stuck with it. The game here is so shallow, it's so boring! At least 3 had heart. That was what they needed to focus on. Idk what they were trying to go for here, but it feels like a child's game with rated M slapped onto it.

Online multiplayer, that's what TS4 was originally supposed to be. IIRC from what I've heard and read online (anyone can feel free to correct me here if my timeline or facts are wrong), TS4 was in development around the time the new Sims City was released and because of the popularity of online games of that nature at the time, the big wigs at EA thought New Sim City was going to pop-off as the old one did. Except that it didn't, in fact it crashed and burned, hard.
    So in a panic, they quickly changed course for TS4 and retooled the entire thing to be a single-player game with no online features, outside of the usual Gallery and such. This is why the engine is so weak and why so much was/is missing from the base game and why career rewards are locked in CaS.

So that's why TS4 feels like a child's game with an undeserved M rating slapped onto it, because it basically is just that. But with that said, there are some parents out there who think TS4 is too "mature" for their children. So make of that what you will.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    3 > 4 in this case. The experience here lacks pretty much everything. They should have fixed the lag and stuck with it. The game here is so shallow, it's so boring! At least 3 had heart.

That's funny you said that because it's what I thought earlier about TS2. TS2 had heart and 2 > 3.
    TS3 had ugly silly robotic soulless sims. I had no emotional attachment to my sims.

TS4 brought back TS2 style that TS3 was lacking.

It took me 2 years to move from TS2 to TS3 but I threw TS3 from the first day when TS4 was released. I never came back to that game.

I play to TS2 sometimes when I need to remember my stories and move them to TS4 but it's no longer fun because too many things are missing in TS2, it's frustrating.
  • carlimactcarlimact Posts: 766 Member
    I feel "meh" right now. I'm neither dissatisfied or satisfied with The Sims franchise
    I chose "meh" because there are things about the game that I love but there can definitely be some improvements
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    I have h ad both a lot of disappointment and a lot of joy with the Sims series desktop applications. One of the joys is that you do not have to be online or have a bunch of social media friends that you don't even know well to play the game. (City Girl Life for one, did this - you needed friends for this, friends for that...and a bunch of people made separate accounts to protect their identities when playing the game and friended everyone who they knew played the game whether they knew them IRL or not). Too many mobile games try to make you share the content, or ruin the game with ads. Let's face it, advertisers can supply big money from big companies to big companies, or even to smaller companies. They basically own the companies they sell their advertising to. This especially is true of gaming companies. I really appreciate that ads do not dominate Sims 4 or any other game in the Sims franchise.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited August 2022
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    I uninstalled TS4 during the bug fiasco leading up to the release of Eco Lifestyle. I re-installed it briefly some months later, after most of those bugs were patched either by EA or by the community. I had been playing TS3 again in the mean time. A few hours is all it took for me to uninstall TS4 again, and move back to TS3 permanently. With the exception of Cottage Living, which brings its own set of issues, everything they've done subsequently has decreased my interest in TS4 even beyond the point where it was when I uninstalled it last time.

So, no, I don't have any expectation that they'll ever recapture my interest for the present game, and no speculation that I've heard about any subsequent game, if there is one, has interested me.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I adore The Sims and I guess I always will. I still love Sims 2 and 3 as much today as I did when they were new and I’ve fully embraced Sims 4. Things aren’t perfect and I don’t always get everything I want (no band as an extracurricular in High School Years!?!) but I get enough to keep me entertained and engaged. The great thing about Sims is the community, imo. I have a vanilla save - no mods, no cc - but I also have a save that’s LOADED with mods and way too much cc - every time I download something new for my game, I feel super grateful for the community of modders and cc creators that we have.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited August 2022
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    I have bought a couple Packs and Kits since I wrote my first post in this thread, and I still stand by what I said. I tried to play my game and it is now completely unplayable due to the fact that the game now thinks I have installed Mods or CC when I haven't. I have deleted, reinstalled, repaired, updated and patched my game to the latest patch that just released and my game is STILL unplayable. My morale is even worse than my original post.

That stinks! Have you been able to get help over on the bug forum or the bug reports place?

I gave up trying to play this game. I have gone back to Sims 2 on my PC. I actually feel as if it's my PC that is the problem. I had no issues when I was using an Intel Core I-series processor on my previous laptops (currently using a $1200 Dell lnspiron with an Intel EVO processor). The only thing I have installed that could be the problem is The College Adjuster but that's for Sims 2, not Sims 4.
  • DarkwingzDarkwingz Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm an unwavering supporter of Maxis and The Sims team. I'm disappointed that the team isn't receiving the support and resources they need from EA.

EA is kinda-sorta in a financial pinch right now. The Sims team appears to have always been on their own, though.
    EA no longer has any sort of deal with FIFA, because of their own ignorance of growing simulated gambling legislation.
    That means falling behind in the video game industry profit margins, while Nintendo gets to soar into 2023 with Splatoon 3, Pokémon, Disney Dreamlight, and Hogwarts Legacy on the quarterly release schedule.

Okay, ranty company advice time. EA/Maxis can take it or leave it; leaving it usually doesn't change my life regardless.

What doesn't help the Sims team right now is openly flaunting politics.
    (Yes, pronouns and the pride flag are political topics/statements, because they are banned in certain countries and go against certain religions. Most video game forums forbid political discussions, and that's one of them.)
    It's one thing to announce the addition of these new welcoming features within a game's update log, but it's another thing entirely to have people on YouTube reporting that pronouns are a requirement to play the game, despite there being an initial promise of it being optional.

Because the life-simulation nature of this game is that some like to play certain birth/grave "challenges," pronouns are entirely too inappropriate to have been introduced in the first place. Why is it inappropriate? Because Kotaku still exists even on a thin wire, that's why.
    The last thing that I want to see Kotaku report on, is some hysteria over TS4 being another -ista/-ism/-phobe video game that promotes violence.
    And to make things worse, TS4 ends up having a romance bug so crippling to EA/Maxis reputation for "inclusion," that people all over YouTube are claiming that it was an intentional mistake to promote something illegal IRL.

EA is living in a virtual eternal PR nightmare, because the TS4 team continues to act rashly on "the need" to add infinity inclusive features.
    Inclusion and diversity in a more relaxing themed simulation game is being done by Disney Dreamlight; no one can compete with Disney's content. Think more deeply about what the darker themes of TS4 are, before you rashly add in content meant for more fluffy themed games.

I'm not asking for a stop to additional skin-tones or hairstyles, just tone-back/dial-down the public exposure of what you're adding to or removing from TS4.
    Players need a reason to return to a game, and oftentimes that reason is to be shocked and in awe of new additions to that game.
    There have been no surprises in the PR stunts of Maxis- starting from the removal of bowing at shrines.
    I have only seen shameful responses from Sims Gurus that are not even on the PR team, nor do they have the tact of someone from a PR team.
    Maxis, please get yourself a PR team, pronto. I'm begging you to spare at least that much change.

[Final Edit:]

If the pronoun system is finalized as optional and an additional "Challenge Mode" is added to the Play Mode options; wherein pronouns are always turned off, that would be by far more appropriate than leaving it in the current state.

Suggestion for the Pronoun system to be formally adjusted for global server use under either of the following phrases:
    -Nicknames
    -Titles
    -Adjectives
    Post edited by Darkwingz on
    You can search for my builds with EA Account ID: MASTERDARKWINGZ
    No longer taking build requests/questions, sorry.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    Just really sad that they never fix the main bugs in the game , some have been here now for years . Also it becomes obvious that they never test the game with all the packs just with the base game and the pack they are making , I have lost belief in they actually care about the game they just see it as a cash cow . Each pack gets smaller with less content and they seem to be more interested now in kit packs that make them even more money for less content
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    I love the game itself and really enjoy playing it when it's working, but ever since MWS things seem to have gone downhill when it comes to having a playable game. They released MWS completely broken, and now that HSY has come along, both the patch and the pack itself have apparantley brought no end of bugs and issues along with them. I haven't updated my game since Werewolves and I was really excited for the new patch features and the new pack, but no point in updating and getting them if it's going to break the entire game. It's all such a shame! I'll never be buying a pack or patching my game on release date again.
    edited August 2022
    Each pack gets smaller with less content and they seem to be more interested now in kit packs that make them even more money for less content

In term of B/B and CAS content :
    • Expansion Packs :
      • EP01 -- 502 items
      • EP02 -- 468 items
      • EP03 -- 403 items
      • EP04 -- 515 items
      • EP05 -- 329 items
      • EP06 -- 391 items
      • EP07 -- 318 items
      • EP08 -- 307 items
      • EP09 -- 309 items
      • EP10 -- 322 items
      • EP11 -- 302 items
      • EP12 -- 448 items
    • Game Packs :
      • GP01 -- 159 items
      • GP02 -- 175 items
      • GP03 -- 165 items
      • GP04 -- 216 items
      • GP05 -- 143 items
      • GP06 -- 219 items
      • GP07 -- 151 items
      • GP08 -- 135 items
      • GP09 -- 254 items
      • GP10 -- 199 items
      • GP11 -- 168 items
      • GP12 -- 199 items
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I'm an unwavering supporter of EA and the Sims. I'm extremely satisfied right now
    I need to quit reading the forums. Read them everyday with hopes of seeing more gameplay without problems and info on possible fixes coming. Unfortunately I am reading more and more about problems with return of old bugs and more bugs showing up. The first response to someone having these issues is to repair game, remove cc and all mods. I just read someone's post about an issue with Father Winter no longer giving a gift and parents unable to read to toddlers in their room. This person tried repairing game and following advice on a work around without success, and stated that never used and doesn't have mods/cc. So some of the bugs are not due to mods/cc but due to a broken game. I am getting more and more discouraged by the lack of any communication about what is being done to fix this game after the patch and HSY, as it is basically unplayable when so many of the features from different packs are having issues. EA, please fix this game! I don't want to lose my game because I do enjoy it, and have spent alot of money over the years so I can continue to enjoy it. MWS was buggy and released, which was very frustrating. But they did fix the majority of the bugs and it can at least be played. These bugs seem to be affecting alot of gameplay from different packs, so this is far worse than MWS. At least tell us what you are working on to fix this so we know it is being taken care of and can try to be more patient knowing fixes are coming. I prefer communication over silence. I would definitely change my answer to My morale is low right now, and heading towards my morale being rock-bottom. I want the excitement of new packs and gameplay back without the fear that my game will be broken by patches and new packs. I don't want to feel like I can't trust the game any longer. Please fix this! I do understand fixes take time, but right now the fixes should be top priority.
    edited August 2022
    "Be an unwavering supporter" also means being patient.
    For example Anthem players supported this game for 2 years until BioWare gave up to fix it.

If your moral is already low after only 3 weeks, that means you're not an unwavering supporter.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    I'm an unwavering supporter of EA and the Sims. I'm extremely satisfied right now
    Unfortunately I changed from unwavering support to morale low as not able to play my game due to the many bugs/problems going on right now. No answers other than working on fixes, no updates, just silence. I am normally a patient person, and am trying to wait patiently as I know bugs eventually get fixed. However, I actually have time this and next week to spend playing which is unusual for me and was looking forward to playing, but feel I can't until fixed. It is very discouraging and depressing, as game is unplayable for me right now. May change my mind again if/when the gameplay gets fixed, but right now I have to go with My moral is low.
    edited August 2022
    COVID-19 pandemic isn't fixed 2 years later but I'm not depressed, I still enjoy life.

Sometimes it's useless to focus on negative thoughts, it's better to keep moving forward even if everything isn't perfect.

My viewpoint towards Sims 4 right now is depressing and discouraging. However, everything else is good! I always try to enjoy each day to the fullest, and my family keeps me busy. I agree, it is never good to focus on negative thoughts but it is ok to feel down about specific things that aren't going well, and right now Sims 4 is a mess. I am back playing other games, but miss my Sims 4. If I ever feel down in general, I just take my dog for a walk in nature, and feel so much better when I get back home. Too many beautiful things in life to focus on the negative.
    edited August 2022
    What mess ?

I mean I'm playing to TS4 for 4 weeks and everything is fine.
    Maybe you should try to use the other features.

In the other hand, it's August. I'm not surprised by the silence.
    The most of people take a break to recover their energy and spend time with their children.

• Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    There are bugs that haven't been fixed for months. There's a problem. ;)
    edited August 2022
    @Gamer_34567544

And some of them for years same as Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077 and many other games.

Complaints never fixed bugs.
    These complaints are the only way we have to tell EA what is wrong, it's no guarantee they'll listen, unfortunately.
    edited August 2022
    These complaints are the only way we have to tell EA what is wrong, it's no guarantee they'll listen, unfortunately.

Maxis knows the job but they need time to find the causes and fix them without breaking everything, it may take weeks, months or years.

There are already 130 patches released for PC in 96 months, it proves they are very active.
    edited August 2022
    I'll believe it when I actually have a bug-free game. I've lost all hope for Sims anymore. There are games built by single developers or a small group that run better than this. Not being mean, I've seen it. A few indie games with a low amount of bugs:

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters
    The Infected- this one is huge, as it features building, cooking, and an open world- things that Sims 3 had- among other things. Only bug I've notices was a set of stairs that you had to jump over to reach the top- that's it.

Why are indie devs (AKA independent game developers, sometimes in a team) able to fix and have less bugs than big AAA companies, who have more experienced developers?
    If you spend money on a product, no matter what it is, and it doesn't work then the consumer has a right to complain. If I buy an outfit and after getting it home notice it is torn, I return it. Companies need to know if consumers aren't happy with the product they are putting out so they can fix it. Most bugs get fixed so I do have hope that these will also. The people who work at EA and on the sims games definitely need to take a vacation with family and enjoy themselves. They must have a stressful job and need to get away for relaxation. But I am sure not all of them go on vacation at the same time as most companies don't allow that. There was a period of complete silence with MWS as well. I just want an occasional word saying they are working on it and to be honest if they expect it to take a longer period of time. Then we know how long we might have to wait instead of constantly hoping the fix will be this week.
    edited August 2022
    @maggiemae8135

Of course.
    Why are indie devs (AKA independent game developers, sometimes in a team) able to fix and have less bugs than big AAA companies, who have more experienced developers?

Because they have less money, they do less ambitious games from a technical point of view.
    For example Game Dev Masters is ugly and poor in features.

The big companies spend a lot of money in new complex technologies which are also a source of new bugs.
    But thanks to their bugs and fixes, the indie devs can use a stable engine like Unreal Engine for their games.

No indie games have as many features as The Sims (pets, weather, free will, ...) or are as good as Mass Effect 3.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I'll believe it when I actually have a bug-free game. I've lost all hope for Sims anymore. There are games built by single developers or a small group that run better than this. Not being mean, I've seen it. A few indie games with a low amount of bugs:

Game Dev Tycoon
    Game Dev Masters
    The Infected- this one is huge, as it features building, cooking, and an open world- things that Sims 3 had- among other things. Only bug I've notices was a set of stairs that you had to jump over to reach the top- that's it.

Heck, look at Five Nights at Freddy's. The game series was made by a single man who also tested his own creations, with the help of his sons on occasion in case he missed something. That is until FNAF Help Wanted, where it became an AAA title. But the point still stands, an indie dev who made a franchise all on his own and did the QA on top of everything else.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top