Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wedding Stories Gameplay Strategy

For those who bought it and are playing. Do you have any tips or tricks to make the wedding easier to manage?

The guests were not dressed for my game. Some changed into formal clothes after a few minutes of being on the lot, so if you chat with them a bit inside the lot venue they might change on their own, but most I had to ask a few times to change to formal outfits. Also, many changed back into everyday clothes, weather clothes or even one guest changed to gym clothes. Next wedding, I've decided to dress the party and guests in CAS more completely, just every single outfit, day, formal, party, gym, weather, the exact same dress, so this won't be a problem.

For the cake. I had bought 2 cakes. The first from the night before had spoiled no matter how hard I tried to keep it fresh in the fridge. The 2nd I bought just 1 hour before the wedding started and it was still good because my wedding took forever. Actually, I didn't get to the cake until it was one hour away from spoiling, so almost midnight and the wedding started at noon. However, the guests started eating it before I could do animations. So I think it's good to have about 2-5 fresh cakes bought within one hour of start on hand in inventory. One guest picked it up and just walked away with it. It then reappeared in my inventory but I didn't notice and it got spoiled.

I'm thinking of trying an off-the-grid lot trait, so maybe they won't check their cell phones during an event. The bride checked her phone while everyone was throwing rice on her.

I think I will also lock them inside the venue with the door locks, so they don't wander outside. A small wedding venue might be better and with only one arch and aisle and one bar.

I'm wondering if I add them all in an action group if it will help keep them together. Or maybe make a wedding party social club.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,948 Member
    edited February 2022
    I have theory that if you use small lot all in one floor and eliminate any unrelated items and keep like items together (say cake table close to dining table etc) sims will be more likely to be where they are supposed to be

but i have not tested the theory yet

before this pack i would add most guests in my household so i had full control over them

and yeah definitely locking doors if possible
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    Do you think a club could maybe alleviate the frustration with the formal outfits? I think you mentioned it at the end of your post. What if you created a club for the wedding party and selected the option to make the club attire formal wear? Then once your wedding starts, you start a club gathering so everyone changes into their formal wear automatically.

Disclaimer: This is a purely a theory and the idea was not tested.
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    Woah, if I had to go through all that fuss and palaver I just don't think I'd bother.

Couldn't you just skip booking a wedding ceremony, have a club gathering and just happen to get married whilst there? You could set the outfits to formal, set the activities to drinking and dancing etc and just go without all the ceremony stuff.
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    edited February 2022
    I've thought about hosting a black and white party (no goals) and placing an arch and cake at the house so it'll kinda feel formal and I'll just have the couple get married and cut the cake while my guests eat... more or less the plan I'm going with when I can test it

I'm also going to test the black and white party at a venue to see if it works. I just won't set any goals.

Edit to add venue as well as home wedding
    edited February 2022
    I did a trial of the black and white bash

They're restricted to seemingly museum venues and residential lots. I picked the brindleton bay museum and placed an arch, piano, two eating tables, a toasting table and cake table as well as a dance rug all from the pack.

The dress code is black and white so while a little mixed they did look at least formal. A few shoes didn't match.

The bash costs 1250 and lasts 5 or 6 hours (not including cake or flowers)

I kept the cake in the fridge then placed in inventory just before the event started and only placed the cake when I was ready for them to cut it otherwise another sim will just take a slice.

I set food on the cake table prior to putting out the cake. All prompted the same way.

The couple said their vows while the guests mingled (much like the prior weddings). I placed the cake and they cut it no problem. They fed it to each other before calling all to meal. Some took food, some took cake. They slow danced. They took pictures. They gave toasts and then danced with other guests.

So it went pretty well honestly. I've tweaked the museum further into a small chapel and it'll do for now.

I didn't pick dinner parties though they wear party attire because they're shorter but it's another possible option.
    Post edited by wahini2024 on
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,574 Member
    I add the guests to ensembles and use the go here together interactions to gather them instead of the EA interactions.
    Also, the wedding line dance requires your Sim to be in an ensemble.

I buy the cake directly on the venue and place it in a 1x1 dining table with no chairs and enough free space. I remove the wedding topper before cutting the cake and direct the couple to go near the cake first. That's how I manage to get the cut cake interaction work. Unlike the wedding ones, these animations are actually awesome.

When I want to have my Sims dance, I also direct them to the stereo/dance floor before I click the interaction. The Game actually treats the Sim initiating the interaction as the male part, so I choose the groom to initiate it.

I guess that's it for now.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I got Carl's Sims Guide's My Wedding Stories mod and everything is running smooth so far. Granted my sims have only had an engagement party where the only thing on their list of things to do was eat dessert and dance.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    Have to also vote in favor of using groups (which is what the English version of the game calls "ensembles" that bienchen referred to above). I always have done that for any events I held, even before this pack was released. It really is the key to getting unplayed Sims to consistently do what you want them to do.

So for the new wedding events, I did that right from the start. Even with the new wedding interactions, understanding how the game works, it's just a good idea to first get sims to "go here" to get them near what you are going to ask them to do before you ask them. That is how the game has worked for years.

For the cake, I also removed the topper before cutting it. I didn't know there were issues with trying to cut it with the topper on...but you know, it's the first thing I would do if I was cutting a real cake irl, so it's what I did in the game.

I also made sure it was centered in the table. Again, based on how the game has worked with other things, before the pack. I just assumed the same kind of rules would apply for cake cutting as apply for things like blowing out birthday candles, decorating pastries, etc. and made sure to use the slot on the table that work for those things, and also to not have any chairs in the way, etc.

I also learned it is just a bad idea to have multiples of any of the wedding task objects on the venue. So don't have more than one aisle, more than one champagne bucket, more than one arch. Do not have more than one of any object which you can use to give guests instructions. In other words, don't use most of the pre-made venues that came with the pack... sad but true. Or if you do use them, edit them to eliminate the duplicate issue.
    Other than seating...you do want more than one chair for them to sit. :lol:

For the formal wear, I already use the LittleMsSam's dress code mod which adds lot traits for the various outfit types and forces people into the category of outfit specified when they arrive at the lot. Been using that mod for years and I had given the wedding venues the Formal dress code trait before ever doing any events, so I honestly can't say how that works without the mod. I'm going to take the lot trait off to see for the next wedding I do.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    @Stormkeep and @83bienchen , your suggestions for strategy and mods have almost changed my mind about this pack. I am wondering if anyone has successfully used an officiant, and if there are game strategies that make that work.
    @telemwill I've had most everything work but I've not had any of the wedding participants do anything such as flower pal or officiant which I think might (not positive) require the wedding plan option which bugs everything. The other party types and clubs seem to be the best route without needing a mod.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    @telemwill I've had most everything work but I've not had any of the wedding participants do anything such as flower pal or officiant which I think might (not positive) require the wedding plan option which bugs everything. The other party types and clubs seem to be the best route without needing a mod.

Thanks for the answer! That the main feature of the pack is bugged like that still bothers me. I'm hoping someone can fix it.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Great tips here, nice idea for a thread!

The suggestion of throwing a black and white bash is creative, but then don’t you run the risk of someone showing up wearing white? 😱 (But I guess that’s not a problem in some cultures)
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I also learned it is just a bad idea to have multiples of any of the wedding task objects on the venue. So don't have more than one aisle, more than one champagne bucket, more than one arch. Do not have more than one of any object which you can use to give guests instructions. In other words, don't use most of the pre-made venues that came with the pack... sad but true. Or if you do use them, edit them to eliminate the duplicate issue.
    Other than seating...you do want more than one chair for them to sit. :lol:

It sounds like they did not playtest this with the lots that were created for it. This is why builders need to playtest their lots, especially if they’re given the honor of creating them for an official pack. Or were they not given sufficient time? I think there needs to be an announcement about having multiples of the same objects on these lots if this is the source of some issues people are having. And they should definitely put out some official lot replacements in an update.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    Anyone know a mod to expand the list of lot types wedding ceremonies are allowed on.

I updated my Myshuno Meadows(central park) wedding venue and its not the list anymore. Thats where all my sims normally get married.
    edited February 2022
    I haven't seen one yet, @Evilyn_1007

I made my own for now that adds not just Myshuno Meadows as eligible venues, but also the Chalet Gardens, and a half dozen other community lot types because I have arches at quite a few different venues and I wanted to be able to hold weddings at them when I choose to.

If you want to use my tweaks for now, you can download it here. Just keep your eyes open for a mod more publicly available that does the same thing and replace it when it inevitably arrives. I haven't publicly modded since the TS2 era, because I choose not to keep my game updated so can't readily keep mods for the public updated either.

All my tweak does is add lot types to the wedding ceremony event and also allows wedding venue as an allowed lot type for club hangout, very minor. Fully compatible with Carl's wedding fix mod as he didn't touch the event tuning file in his mod.

Edit 4: v1.04 of Carl's wedding fix mod now includes tuning to the same tuning file which my mod does, so they are not compatible. My solution is just to edit Carl's mod to add additional venues for my own game. It is super simple to do with S4 Studio...all you need to know how to do is copy/paste. Anyone who uses his mod and who wants to add additional venues to it but who needs assistance, feel free to PM me here and I will provide basic instructions.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Anyone know a mod to expand the list of lot types wedding ceremonies are allowed on.

I updated my Myshuno Meadows(central park) wedding venue and its not the list anymore. Thats where all my sims normally get married.

I have the mod that allows general lots as wedding venues.

But I was watching itsmeTroi’s recent video and she was able to select the actual wedding venue lot for her sims wedding so I’m confused on that front.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

edited February 2022

But I was watching itsmeTroi’s recent video and she was able to select the actual wedding venue lot for her sims wedding so I’m confused on that front.

There's two wedding events. There's the base game one without the pack installed, and there's the wedding ceremony if you have the pack installed. The lot types available for the two are not the same list. Wedding Venue lot type is not available for the base game wedding event (without a mod), it is for the wedding ceremony with the pack.
    Sadly, the Wedding Ceremony is very limited in lot types beyond the Wedding venue. Beach, Park, Residential and Wedding Venue are the only lot types it allows (without mods)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    I haven’t bought the pack yet ( I don’t use mods ), but was thinking, can’t you just make any lot a wedding lot temporarily if you want to use it for a wedding lot?

There's two wedding events. There's the base game one without the pack installed, and there's the wedding ceremony if you have the pack installed. The lot types available for the two are not the same list. Wedding Venue lot type is not available for the base game wedding event (without a mod), it is for the wedding ceremony with the pack.
    Sadly, the Wedding Ceremony is very limited in lot types beyond the Wedding venue. Beach, Park, Residential and Wedding Venue are the only lot types it allows (without mods)

I thought it was said the lot type wasn’t working with the pack either my bad.

edited February 2022

Yah, I've seen that, but I'm pretty sure those are all people who do not actually have the pack itself, so they are complaining that the new Wedding Venue isn't an option for the base game wedding event but not wording it in a way that it is clear that they don't even have the pack. Making those statements in threads specifically about the pack leads to what they are saying being very misleading.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I haven’t bought the pack yet ( I don’t use mods ), but was thinking, can’t you just make any lot a wedding lot temporarily if you want to use it for a wedding lot?

I specifically like to hold wedding ceremonies at Myshuno Meadows which is locked lot type.

@Stormkeep thank you so much. Hopefully the sims team updates the lot list so a mod isn’t even necessary.

Yah, I've seen that, but I'm pretty sure those are all people who do not actually have the pack itself, so they are complaining that the new Wedding Venue isn't an option for the base game wedding event but not wording it in a way that it is clear that they don't even have the pack. Making those statements in threads specifically about the pack leads to what they are saying being very misleading.

I meant the game changers.

• ZiafarZiafar Posts: 702 Member
    It is a pity that we cannot make the locked lot types (The meadows in San Mishuno, afor example) or night clubs (like the one on the top of the building, again in San Myshuno). We should have the possibilité to make any lot a Wedding venue
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    Is it possible to have a wedding on a generic lot? I'm thinking that might help because no one would show up except invited guests, which might cut down on the chaos.

The other thing that I thought might help is turning off free will for all Sims before the wedding, but it doesn't work because turning off free will has never really worked in Sims 4 to begin with. In Sims 3 if you turned it off, they really did nothing unless they were desperate, but in Sims 4 they still do pretty much anything they want. I could make great Sims 3 weddings between turning off free well and a mod that I think was called "Stand Here" where you'd tell them to stand here and they would just stay there until you told them to move. The only thing that really works for me is walking down the aisle, but then they do whatever the heck they want when they reach the end of it. I want the Sims of honor to stand next to the bride and groom, or at least sit in the front row, but there is just no way to get them to STAY STILL and SHUT UP.
    edited February 2022
    pearlbh wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a wedding on a generic lot? I'm thinking that might help because no one would show up except invited guests, which might cut down on the chaos.

Without mods, no, Generic is not an available lot type for the Wedding Ceremony. It might be for all the other wedding-related events though (I don't recall), but the cremony itself is limited to Beach, Park, Wedding Venue and Residential. The other pre/pro wedding events have many more options.

Regarding your thought about stand here mod and sim autonomy, all you really need to do is get all the wedding guests into "groups" which is a base game feature. Instruct them to "go here" to get near the desired activities first, to bring them in range of the broadcasters and also clear out whatever else might be in their autonomous queue. That's enough to make the wedding things go mostly according to plan.

Turning off autonomy in addition to the above, should make everything that isn't completely broken work as desired. Not much in the pack is actually compltely broken...or even broken at all. It mostly works exactly how they set it up to work....most of the 'problems' have to do with how they set it up, not actually bugs or glitches.
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member

Turning off autonomy in addition to the above, should make everything that isn't completely broken work as desired. Not much in the pack is actually compltely broken...or even broken at all. It mostly works exactly how they set it up to work....most of the 'problems' have to do with how they set it up, not actually bugs or glitches.

Yeah I posted that somewhere else; that the way they set it up to work is really not ideal. As for putting people in groups, I've put the entire wedding party in one group, but as far as I know, there's no way to put NPCs in a group unless a Sim in your household is also in that group - in other words, are people who are successfully using groups at weddings putting the wedding party and the guests all in one group, or somehow how one group for the guests and another one for the wedding party?

Also does your tweak that you posted above allow generic lots for weddings?