Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To release my weddings stories in Russia

Comments

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited February 2022
    I think the Sims Team's statement might be particularly offensive to non-Americans and non native English speakers because a lot of things were implied, but they didn't actually say them.
    So what does that mean for you, our players? We are steadfast in upholding that commitment by shining a light on and celebrating stories like Dom and Cam’s, so we have made the decision to forgo the release of “My Wedding Stories” where our storytelling would be subject to changes because of federal laws.

Regrettably, this means that members of The Sims community in Russia will not be able to purchase this game pack.
    They never said that telling Dom and Cam's story was illegal or banned because of Russian federal laws. The statement is vaguer than that. It means the story could change/is likely to change because of the laws but it's not 100% sure.

ETA: Maybe they couldn't figure out how to convey the same level of vagueness in Russian which is why the reasoned based on values.
  • Options
    Ben_VorobievBen_Vorobiev Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    haneul wrote: »
    They never said that telling Dom and Cam's story was illegal or banned because of Russian federal laws. The statement is vaguer than that. It means the story could change/is likely to change because of the laws but it's not 100% sure.

We would really like to convey to the Sims team and EA marketers that our market loves transparency. That means that if they explain the true reasons to us (at least through independent sources, at least through American websites, if they are afraid of a scandal), we will understand. We will forgive them and continue to play their games. But we just need an honest answer. Even if the problem lies in our laws.

Now we hate EA because we don't see a problem in our laws. And because they brought many of our LGBT-people to hysterics and tears.

If they honestly say or even hint that our government told them "no", we will be angry about our government. They want us to fight for our rights, yes? But we won't do it if we feel fake.

In addition, we must obtain guarantees that this will not happen again in the future. Otherwise, a huge number of gamers will engage in illegal activities. It will be very bad, because for many years we have been fighting piracy on the territory of the Russian Federation.

Also an insult is in the fact that they equated independent countries to Russia. And they banned the game there too. I'm talking about Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan (and all CIS countries). This angered the people of these countries, because they are not Russia.
    Against this background, the CIS countries created a petition
    You can see how many people are already upset by this situation.
    Post edited by Ben_Vorobiev on
    With love from Moscow. :smile:
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    I don't see the point in the ban in first place as it did not violate Russian Law. Second, how are you going to take a stand by doing exactly what the government wants...LOL

This is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Take a stand by doing what they want...LOL You take a stand by releasing it in RUSSIA as is.

Good luck Russians, I hope EA stops this silliness and releases it there.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    I don't see the issue of this pack that ea isn't releasing it to russia, a simmer on here from russia explained to me its not the box art, it's not the trailer or gameplay, they live in russia so they will know what they are talking about, that is allowed aslong as ea labels it properly for it to be released to them, it's so simple and it wouldn't be changing the rating in russia if they did, I'm not saying i agree that the sims 4 should be 18+ because you can be homosexual in the game, I disagree with respect with this but its so simple to do, so why aren't they doing it so all the simmers can enjoy this pack, it isn't fair at all
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I hope they sort it out soon.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    94 voted yes ! Keep voting yes simmers hopefully this will change developers minds 😊🤞we're really being one community with this, keep it up
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    As a poster in another thread asked, how would people react if a country required them to erase black people from the advertising and cover?
    (I'm not comparing one type of hate to the other - racism is awful in the US. I'm only saying that anti-LGTBQ behaviour should be called out.)

They don't just decide these things in the marketing department. They do have lawyers who are well-versed in the laws of the countries in which they sell the product.

However, it could be US that has the laws that would be violated. There is no federal law protecting LGTBQ people, but there was a significant US Supreme Court decision last year, and EA might be affected by an executive order. Finally, California does have laws protecting LGTBQ people, and I expect that this would extend to a non-LGTBQ person being asked to do something they felt was discriminatory.

To go back to a cover in which black people are erased, I absolutely expect that I could refuse to do that because it would be hostile toward my African-American co-workers, and I'd win in court if my employer took action against me. An employer that actually cares about an inclusive environment isn't going to let it get to a court case because it isn't going to ask its employees to do that in the first place.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    As a poster in another thread asked, how would people react if a country required them to erase black people from the advertising and cover?

I can only speak myself. Why I would feel bad, but if that was the only way the pack can be released.I rather see all simmers have the option vs the whole country being excluded. Especially since it is just a cover.These are not real people.These are fictional characters. Also, you misunderstood removing or altering a cover has nothing do with lgbt rights in the united states of america.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Yes
    (I'm not comparing one type of hate to the other - racism is awful in the US. I'm only saying that anti-LGTBQ behaviour should be called out.)

They don't just decide these things in the marketing department. They do have lawyers who are well-versed in the laws of the countries in which they sell the product.

However, it could be US that has the laws that would be violated. There is no federal law protecting LGTBQ people, but there was a significant US Supreme Court decision last year, and EA might be affected by an executive order. Finally, California does have laws protecting LGTBQ people, and I expect that this would extend to a non-LGTBQ person being asked to do something they felt was discriminatory.

To go back to a cover in which black people are erased, I absolutely expect that I could refuse to do that because it would be hostile toward my African-American co-workers, and I'd win in court if my employer took action against me. An employer that actually cares about an inclusive environment isn't going to let it get to a court case because it isn't going to ask its employees to do that in the first place.

This isnt a fair comparison for multiple reasons but the main thing I have to say is that according to various Russian simmers; the cover really shouldn't be an issue as long as it has an 18+ age rating (which it does). In fact, people on twitter have posted getting advertisements for the pack on their Russian origin page. A pack theyre not going to even be able to buy.

There could be other aspects at play, but we've gotten no official explanation. The statement they released is too vague.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,344 Member
    Yes
    I think the questions most of us want answered are:

1) Did the Russian government actually tell EA (or the Sims 4 team) that they could not sell the pack in Russia unless they changed some or all of the marketing material?
    2) Did EA (or the Sims 4 team) actually seek input from the Russian LGBTQ+ simmer community before making their decision?

It's hard to know for sure, because the PR statement is (as others have said) pretty vague, but based on the response of many Russian simmers, it appears that the likely answer to both these questions is "no".

I think this event is a very good example of how when you try to help other people without actually asking them what would or wouldn't be helpful, you can end up doing more harm than good.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Yes
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Censor the game case with a wrapper/sleeve (any they already distributed in Russian would have to be returned to a factory somewhere or sent that to a Russian speaking country without the same law, they would need to design the new wrapper, add to the production line to add the wrapper and redistribute/continue distributing the game).

Not relevant to the discussion at hand but do they actually sell packs in physical form in stores in some countries? I've never seen Sims 4 packs in a physical box
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Yes
    Onverser wrote: »
    Censor the game case with a wrapper/sleeve (any they already distributed in Russian would have to be returned to a factory somewhere or sent that to a Russian speaking country without the same law, they would need to design the new wrapper, add to the production line to add the wrapper and redistribute/continue distributing the game).

Not relevant to the discussion at hand but do they actually sell packs in physical form in stores in some countries? I've never seen Sims 4 packs in a physical box

Physical forms for XBOX and PS4 exist in my local GameStop. Perhaps this is limited to Expansion Packs only. I haven’t noticed any Game Packs, Stuff Packs or Kits on the shelves, but I’m not a frequent visitor. Maybe others have more insight?
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Yes
    Onverser wrote: »

As I understood from a start, only Expansion Packs. But also I no saw physical copies
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    I think the questions most of us want answered are:

1) Did the Russian government actually tell EA (or the Sims 4 team) that they could not sell the pack in Russia unless they changed some or all of the marketing material?
    2) Did EA (or the Sims 4 team) actually seek input from the Russian LGBTQ+ simmer community before making their decision?

It's hard to know for sure, because the PR statement is (as others have said) pretty vague, but based on the response of many Russian simmers, it appears that the likely answer to both these questions is "no".

I think this event is a very good example of how when you try to help other people without actually asking them what would or wouldn't be helpful, you can end up doing more harm than good.

With the current conflict USA-Russia, EA no will reveal, if the answer to your 1º question is NO
  • Options
    ProHolmesProHolmes Posts: 1 New Member
    Yes
    > @EmmaVane said:
    > As for the lesbian wedding, one of the brides is a trans woman. Does Russian government paperwork recognise trans women as women or men?
    Our goverment treats transgender people according to their gender in their documents at the very moment.
    During wedding Irina still had male documents.
    After she will change them (In Russia it is quite easy process, I can explain it to you if you are interested) the goverment would recognize her as a woman. Unfortunately, as I know this means that their marriage should be terminated after this, as according the the newest changes in Russian Constitution "marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman".
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Yes
    They already know about the backlash online, if they do nothing after the initial explanation of it being due to Russian law fell through, it's egg on their face.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Yes
    There's a lot of misinformation being passed around on this whole issue, from both sides.

For example, it is apparantly false that it will not be available in the Ukraine, which is a narrative being spread by some people.
    This news was just shared in another forum thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18058781/#Comment_18058781
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Yes
    Then Ukranie no use same Origin region than Russia?
    Or now than there is conflict, EA sent Ukranie to other region?
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    There's a lot of misinformation being passed around on this whole issue, from both sides.

For example, it is apparantly false that it will not be available in the Ukraine, which is a narrative being spread by some people.
    This news was just shared in another forum thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18058781/#Comment_18058781

To be fair, it's hard to call it misinformation when the clarification was just released. Especially since a handful of countries are under the Russian 'region' or grouped together as such when it comes to Origin or whatever.

Edit: the info was wrong but it was all very vague and confusing from the get go.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    BlueR0se wrote: »

To be fair, it's hard to call it misinformation when the clarification was just released. Especially since a handful of countries are under the Russian 'region' or grouped together as such when it comes to Origin or whatever.

Edit: the info was wrong but it was all very vague and confusing from the get go.

I disagree. Regardless of how clear or unclear what you do know is, spreading information based on your assumptions rather than confirmed facts absolutely is misinformation. We live in the era of misinformation, people apparently love to draw conclusions and make assumptions and then spread them on social media.

The confirmed facts, from the get-go, was that it wasn't going to be sold in Russia. The other countries added to that list were added by ordinary people making assumptions. Educated assumptions, sure, but still assumptions.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Yes
    The Marketing department at The Sims is not handling this well, no matter what the unknown details can be. Because Origin is still showing the ads in Russia. And maybe that’s because they aren’t displaying it to minors in a store? But minors can use Origin, can they not? It’s frustrating that they won’t even release it to them on Origin but are still advertising it there, which is supposedly the issue anyway, because the content itself is not illegal. Why not give access in as many places as possible and forget about putting it in the stores if that’s where the censorship is required?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    No
    I'm sorry not everyone on this planet is 'woke'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Yes
    I'm sorry not everyone on this planet is 'woke'.

W…What?
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Yes
    I love how everything controversial is a "woke" issue...LOL Good Grief.

This is simply allow the Russians to get the game and leave the cover as is. There is nothing "woke" about being decent to people.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    I would vote to make separate russia edition if its just the cover that is the issue and not the game itself

that would let them keep the original cover
    and they could have something simple for russian edition like 2 hearts

where they don't have to specify if the hearts are gay straight or whatever and everyone can choose for themselves inside their own minds

like basically the idea can be same just don't make it so political that russian players can't even freaking play a game cause of politics nonsense that they really don't have a say in
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free