Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I fell asleep and my Sim died!

Oops! No idea what happened but I moved in Lavinia Chopra and her son Rahul. They come with Cottage Living. I downloaded Deligracy’s renovated Crick Cabana and I love how she did it. Although as I don’t have all the packs, there was a lot of bare walls! 😂

I had a busy day at work so was very tired this evening and fell asleep while playing, now somehow Lavinia died! 😂. Her urn was in the middle of the house and Rahul is very sad.

Is there a way to check how she died? There was no fire, everything is intact. I was always take out the stove until they reach cooking level 4. I did not have a fireplace or pool. There was food in the fridge. 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

Comments

• PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    It's hard to say how. It is possibly starvation. It seems that some sims prefer to cook rather than eat leftovers.

But I'll give you a suggestion for the future. Quit your job so this doesn't happen again. Lol
  • DuckyQueenDuckyQueen Posts: 342 Member
    If you get the ghost back in your household you can look in the traits panel and it will say how you died
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    It's hard to say how. It is possibly starvation. It seems that some sims prefer to cook rather than eat leftovers.

But I'll give you a suggestion for the future. Quit your job so this doesn't happen again. Lol
    I need the money to buy Sims packs though 😂
    YellowLady wrote: »
    If you get the ghost back in your household you can look in the traits panel and it will say how you died
    Thanks I’ll try that. 😀

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Did you check the family tree? Assuming her son is still there? Pointing at dead sim's photo in fam tree will tell you how they died.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I'm curious how he died? Was he handy? Did he maybe keep trying to upgrade an electronics device, get electrocuted, and then try again?

Also, I love that I'm not the only one that gets so into playing that they play long past when they should lie down for some sleep. :lol:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Depending on your aging settings, she may have died of old age. If I'm not mistaken, isn't she an elder when the game starts? Has Rahul aged?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    Did you check the family tree? Assuming her son is still there? Pointing at dead sim's photo in fam tree will tell you how they died.

I didn’t think of that. Thanks! 😎
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I'm curious how he died? Was he handy? Did he maybe keep trying to upgrade an electronics device, get electrocuted, and then try again?

Also, I love that I'm not the only one that gets so into playing that they play long past when they should lie down for some sleep. :lol:

I should have gone to bed but I just thought I’ll play for just five more minutes. 🤦🏼‍♂️😴
    Depending on your aging settings, she may have died of old age. If I'm not mistaken, isn't she an elder when the game starts? Has Rahul aged?
    I have ageing disabled. Rahul is still a teen.

edited February 2022

I checked and it said she died of hunger! But the fridge was fully stocked. Bills were paid. 🤷🏼‍♂️ That’s weird.

Unless there was a pathing error? Or maybe she was doing something else and didn’t get food in time?

I’ll have to watch my Sims like a hawk! 😂

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

I checked and it said she died of hunger! But the fridge was fully stocked. Bills were paid. 🤷🏼‍♂️ That’s weird.

Unless there was a pathing error? Or maybe she was doing something else and didn’t get food in time?

If you have the Simple Living lot challenge on and there was nothing to cook with, you would have to go off lot to get food or order in.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Sims are not always smart enough to survive. Especially sims that are not yet played so much, they get smarter by doing. If she never ever cooked a meal, I assume that action technically was not the first coming her to mind even when starving. If she didn't even *eat* a meal while you played her, perhaps she did not know that food would be useful? Born-in game sims are often wiser than those not yet being played.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited February 2022
    Do you have it set for selected Sim to have autonomy? Maybe she starved to death because she was the one you had selected when you fell asleep.

Also, even for sims you don't have selected, they won't queue to do anything else even if you have autonomy on if you already have other things in the queue for them to do.
    edited February 2022
    EmmaVane wrote: »

If you have the Simple Living lot challenge on and there was nothing to cook with, you would have to go off lot to get food or order in.

I had this lot trait on as those Sims came with Cottage Living and was trying it out.
    They need a bigger lot for a animal shed. They just have a chicken coop.

Can they cook base game meals without ingredients? I’m used to sending them to make salad or origini. She obviously didn’t grab a snack!
    I might disable that lot trait when I play in the evenings!
    Sims are not always smart enough to survive. Especially sims that are not yet played so much, they get smarter by doing. If she never ever cooked a meal, I assume that action technically was not the first coming her to mind even when starving. If she didn't even *eat* a meal while you played her, perhaps she did not know that food would be useful? Born-in game sims are often wiser than those not yet being played.

So she must have been complaining for some time but I never heard her. Oops! 😱
    Do you have it set for selected Sim to have autonomy? Maybe she starved to death because she was the one you had selected when you fell asleep.

Also, even for sims you don't have selected, they won't queue to do anything else even if you have autonomy on if you already have other things in the queue for them to do.

I play with free will on. The last thing I remember was asking Rahul to look after the chickens and collect eggs but he cancelled it once to play on his phone. I reassigned him but perhaps he cancelled it again.

I woke up a couple of hours later to see her urn on the floor. I was like… what? 😱😂.

• RionAgriasRionAgrias Posts: 305 Member
    Well, there's your problem. Your sim's AI is lacking and never completes its requested tasks. It gets distracted by menial tasks. It makes you worried about the redone weddings. Sorry, the ring bearer has to go get a drink of water... or six. Better remove the bartender or the dance floor, or the groom will never reach the end of the aisle.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member

Called it! pats himself on the back with the following quote I'm just that good. On a real life note, my mom's the same way. Once it's been in the fridge, she won't eat it.

• BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2022
    Perhaps some memories are found.
    I could be worse, though. When the last sim on a lot dies, you can't play that lot anymore.
    When a sim suddenly dies on a community lot without you noticing, you might have a hard time retrieving the urn.
    Been there, done that.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Are you able to roll back a save? My Sim got snatched from my game, inexplicably, very recently. The camera didn't jerk to where he lay dying or dead in the chicken yard! And Grimmie NEVER SHOWED UP. I only noticed something was wrong when the game played that rather sad short tune. I looked at his wife's moodlet panel to see she was sad for having lost the love of her life. :open_mouth: Then I saw he was missing from the icons of the family. Say, what? Happily, I start each gaming session with Save As. This has allowed me to keep from going back to the very beginning of this story. Now, if something off occurs, I can simply roll back and pick up from there. I saw that he was attacked by one of his roosters. So, I had him leave the chicken yard to do other things and just kept the story going forward from there. Since I deemed this a glitch, I never looked back. When I took the camera out to the Coop, this is all I saw:

8rusB4j.jpg
    When I rolled back (and I got a menu of the plain saves I had made after the Save As) I selected one and saw this happen:
    LYSpVw5.jpg

So, you have two things you might try. Roll back, if you are able, or click on the save recovery button to avert whatever disaster happened.
    Best of luck and do let us know what happened if you get it figured out. I'm sorry you fell asleep. But, I do think you can fix this. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

This, I have learned over time that AI has to be taught. If you constantly use “the hand of God” to clean up after your sims they will almost never do it autonomously outside of having the neat trait. I think eating works the same way. I have noticed that a newly created sim lets their hunger bar get really low before they eat and they almost always choose to cook instead of grabbing say a quick meal or leftovers. So since you hadn’t played her much and “taught” her leftovers or quick meals were an option she starved because she couldn’t cook as I believe you said you removed the stove. Rahul however seemingly figured it out for himself. Maybe due to one of his traits.
    Very insightful, @Pamtastic72.

Another thing I've noticed along the same lines is that sims rarely eat leftovers that are on the counter, rather than in the refrigerator. No matter how often I manually have them do it....it's rare for them to autonomously grab a plate off the counter. It does happen autonomously, just super rarely.

Left overs in the refrigerator, on the other hand...they go for quite quickly when they get hungry. Which I actually find annoying, because I leave food out on the counter...the only left overs in the refrigerator is bread. I wish they'd stop eating just a slice of bread when there's a perfectly good selection of actual meals out for them.
    @Stormkeep maybe if you direct them towards leftovers on the counter more often? It’s not a perfect system though, sometimes the AI seems to refuse to learn. 🤣😂
    @Stormkeep maybe if you direct them towards leftovers on the counter more often? It’s not a perfect system though, sometimes the AI seems to refuse to learn. 🤣😂

I have a Fresh Chef traited Sim in every household. The only way they eat actual meals is left overs off the counter, which means that's what I'm directing them to do literally several times per sim-day. For whatever reason, they just never learn to do it consistently...not even Sims that are born in game who have been directed to do it since they were toddlers.

I do use a lot of mods though, so it's possible one of them is responsible in part. I have no idea what it's like in a vanilla (no-mod) game.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    Interesting. I would have suggested checking notification history, but the question has been answered.

I do wonder why she neglected to eat on her own...

I have a Fresh Chef traited Sim in every household. The only way they eat actual meals is left overs off the counter, which means that's what I'm directing them to do literally several times per sim-day. For whatever reason, they just never learn to do it consistently...not even Sims that are born in game who have been directed to do it since they were toddlers.

I do use a lot of mods though, so it's possible one of them is responsible in part. I have no idea what it's like in a vanilla (no-mod) game.

Lol, well I guess the AI is only willing to learn so much.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    EmmaVane wrote: »

I had this lot trait on as those Sims came with Cottage Living and was trying it out.
    They need a bigger lot for a animal shed. They just have a chicken coop.

Can they cook base game meals without ingredients? I’m used to sending them to make salad or origini. She obviously didn’t grab a snack!
    I might disable that lot trait when I play in the evenings!

So she must have been complaining for some time but I never heard her. Oops! 😱

Nope. Recipes without ingredients can't be cooked with the lot trait on. It's also why the Hot Pot appliance from SE won't with the lot trait on.

Also, sims can't grab Quick Meals while the trait is on, so if there are no leftovers they won't grab food from the fridge. They will eat produce, eternal fruitcake, dried food or canned goods from their inventory, so it's worth keeping some emergency rations on a sim.
    @GalacticGal I decided to go with what happened as it was so random and odd. Thanks for the input I will definitely start doing roll back saves
    So the more I play a Sim the smarter they get? I play rotational though so I better start get teaching them when I play them!