August 12th- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Should Having Multiple Spouses Be an Option?

Comments

  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 2,673 Member
    Not M rating necessarily. Neelix on Star Trek Voyager had 4 wives, each of whom had 4 husbands, and that show wasn't M-rated!
    she/her

    Tales of San Myshuno
    See What Happened In Your Game Today. Index in link here

    Don't Lose the Farm!
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 67 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    That being said, no one else has to listen to me, but literally anyone can google the extremely strong links between polygamy and child mortality, child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, domestic violence, and on and on. Most of those things are very rightly not allowed in the game. You didn't answer my question above, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you wouldn't want things like child abuse (or worse) in the game. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. My point, obviously, is that because of the links between all of those things--which are well-documented by many sources, not just me-- I group all of those things together as being a unique level of evil at a different end of the moral spectrum than something like shoplifting.

    Some of the people here don't, and that's up to them. But enough people do find it disturbing that I also think it would be a very bad business decision for EA.

    It’s unfair to say “polygamy is strongly associated with child abuse so we can’t have it in the game”. All of those things happen in monogamous marriages, are we going to remove those from the game? “Enough people” find same sex marriage disturbing, should we remove that as well??? Sims is a sandbox, those who want their sims to be polygamist or polyamorous should be able. There is nothing wrong with consenting adults in an informed relationship. There’s nothing gained by twisting it into something that is akin to aforementioned banned/taboo mods when there’s no comparison. Those mods did not center around informed consenting adults.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 203 Member
    edited July 5
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    You're also appealing to your own authority, which is a fallacy and isn't relevant here in the context of a hypothetical videogame mechanic. Disbelief and detatchment are always major ingredients in fictional worlds.

    Do you agree that there are some things that should be off-limits in a video game (more specifically, the Sims)?

    If so, which things?

    If some things but not others, why do you draw the line where you do, and why is your line of more value than mine?

    I specifically said for me personally, polygamy is over the line and grouped with things I would find unacceptable. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

    (You're also using the "appeal to authority fallacy" wrong, but that's another story.)

    Indeed, you did use "for me" numerous times, it just seemed like you were attempting to add extra value to your statements by mentioning your "extensive professional knowledge" and using bold and italics to draw attention to it. And yes, I should've been more specific. The bold is an appeal to self-authority, the italics is more anecdotal. It's questionable because you're a stranger on the Internet, none of us know you have this knowledge beyond your word. So it was weird you mentioned it, to me. Your post is a little defensive, I hope I didn't offend.

    Since your reply is shifting to a pure matter of opinion, we've no problem and on that front, we don't necessarily disagree. Frankly, I'm not certain what value adding it to the game would have, when romance and intimacy in this game is very shallow and "kiddie" and the game hardly completely supports polygamy in the first place. If my Sim can't treat one wife as equally as the other, I don't want it at all.

    I am indeed an anonymous stranger. However, I know who I am and what my experience is, and therefore that knowledge quite rightly informs my own opinion.

    Most of what we talk about on this forum is our own personal experience and how it relates to the game; just look at the current thread on whether the High School EP accurately reflects players' own high school experiences.

    That being said, no one else has to listen to me, but literally anyone can google the extremely strong links between polygamy and child mortality, child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, domestic violence, and on and on. Most of those things are very rightly not allowed in the game. You didn't answer my question above, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you wouldn't want things like child abuse (or worse) in the game. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. My point, obviously, is that because of the links between all of those things--which are well-documented by many sources, not just me-- I group all of those things together as being a unique level of evil at a different end of the moral spectrum than something like shoplifting.

    Some of the people here don't, and that's up to them. But enough people do find it disturbing that I also think it would be a very bad business decision for EA.

    And this is where my confusion lies. Your point is that you don't want polygamy in the game because of what you listed and how it effects real life, but these things aren't and never will be in the game. Why would numerous marriages in TS4 lead to child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, etc when marriage in TS4 doesn't have any depth beyond a couple of moodlets and text? Of course I don't want child abuse in TS4, but, say hypothetically, why would letting Sims have numerous marriage partners lead to their children being abused? None (or very few) of the bad associated with polygamy would make it into the game, which is why I mentioned that when they programmed snow-boarding in, they didn't add some of the horrible accidents you could experience doing so beyond a moodlet, some text, and the Sim looking physically uncomfortable. And that's my point. There's many things in the game that would be awful in real life, but they made it in regardless and nobody complains.

    For example, take the Beguile interaction. The Sim summons a tool (Cupid's Arrow, it looks like) to make a Sim much more receptive to flirty advances. Imagine that in real life. :sweat_smile:

    It's still a T rated game, child abuse would never enter into the fray at all. In TS4, it would just be 2 other roommates you woo-hoo with and an extra mom for the children or something like that. They'd still be happy and gameplay would continue normally. Where's the abuse then?

    So that's why I'm confused, you're using real world examples to argue why it shouldn't be in a videogame, but in a videogame, everything you listed isn't relevant because the developers can just program their own vision into the game. And it's not like TS4 hasn't tread this road before. Aliens, for example, kidnap Sims and impregnate them without their consent. In real life, that's unspeakably horrible, but in the Sims, people view it anywhere between entertaining to annoying. I'm on the latter side, personally.

    You're free to not want it in the game, I don't have any problem with that. But the reasoning is weird. I could at least understand if you wouldn't want polygamy because you wouldn't use it, that makes sense. Or at least, you wouldn't be excited for it because you wouldn't use it. But so far, your point is: "I don't want polygamy in a T rated videogame because it's unspeakably evil in real life" when... this isn't real life.

  • LJKLJK Posts: 203 Member
    Not M rating necessarily. Neelix on Star Trek Voyager had 4 wives, each of whom had 4 husbands, and that show wasn't M-rated!

    ok sorry but I'm an ex-star trek fan and I just have to point out: That was Phlox on Enterprise and he had 3 wives. Neelix only met the 1. :tongue:
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,300 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    You're also appealing to your own authority, which is a fallacy and isn't relevant here in the context of a hypothetical videogame mechanic. Disbelief and detatchment are always major ingredients in fictional worlds.

    Do you agree that there are some things that should be off-limits in a video game (more specifically, the Sims)?

    If so, which things?

    If some things but not others, why do you draw the line where you do, and why is your line of more value than mine?

    I specifically said for me personally, polygamy is over the line and grouped with things I would find unacceptable. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

    (You're also using the "appeal to authority fallacy" wrong, but that's another story.)

    Indeed, you did use "for me" numerous times, it just seemed like you were attempting to add extra value to your statements by mentioning your "extensive professional knowledge" and using bold and italics to draw attention to it. And yes, I should've been more specific. The bold is an appeal to self-authority, the italics is more anecdotal. It's questionable because you're a stranger on the Internet, none of us know you have this knowledge beyond your word. So it was weird you mentioned it, to me. Your post is a little defensive, I hope I didn't offend.

    Since your reply is shifting to a pure matter of opinion, we've no problem and on that front, we don't necessarily disagree. Frankly, I'm not certain what value adding it to the game would have, when romance and intimacy in this game is very shallow and "kiddie" and the game hardly completely supports polygamy in the first place. If my Sim can't treat one wife as equally as the other, I don't want it at all.

    I am indeed an anonymous stranger. However, I know who I am and what my experience is, and therefore that knowledge quite rightly informs my own opinion.

    Most of what we talk about on this forum is our own personal experience and how it relates to the game; just look at the current thread on whether the High School EP accurately reflects players' own high school experiences.

    That being said, no one else has to listen to me, but literally anyone can google the extremely strong links between polygamy and child mortality, child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, domestic violence, and on and on. Most of those things are very rightly not allowed in the game. You didn't answer my question above, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you wouldn't want things like child abuse (or worse) in the game. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. My point, obviously, is that because of the links between all of those things--which are well-documented by many sources, not just me-- I group all of those things together as being a unique level of evil at a different end of the moral spectrum than something like shoplifting.

    Some of the people here don't, and that's up to them. But enough people do find it disturbing that I also think it would be a very bad business decision for EA.

    And this is where my confusion lies. Your point is that you don't want polygamy in the game because of what you listed and how it effects real life, but these things aren't and never will be in the game. Why would numerous marriages in TS4 lead to child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, etc when marriage in TS4 doesn't have any depth beyond a couple of moodlets and text? Of course I don't want child abuse in TS4, but, say hypothetically, why would letting Sims have numerous marriage partners lead to their children being abused? None (or very few) of the bad associated with polygamy would make it into the game, which is why I mentioned that when they programmed snow-boarding in, they didn't add some of the horrible accidents you could experience doing so beyond a moodlet, some text, and the Sim looking physically uncomfortable. And that's my point. There's many things in the game that would be awful in real life, but they made it in regardless and nobody complains.

    For example, take the Beguile interaction. The Sim summons a tool (Cupid's Arrow, it looks like) to make a Sim much more receptive to flirty advances. Imagine that in real life. :sweat_smile:

    It's still a T rated game, child abuse would never enter into the fray at all. In TS4, it would just be 2 other roommates you woo-hoo with and an extra mom for the children or something like that. They'd still be happy and gameplay would continue normally. Where's the abuse then?

    So that's why I'm confused, you're using real world examples to argue why it shouldn't be in a videogame, but in a videogame, everything you listed isn't relevant because the developers can just program their own vision into the game. And it's not like TS4 hasn't tread this road before. Aliens, for example, kidnap Sims and impregnate them without their consent. In real life, that's unspeakably horrible, but in the Sims, people view it anywhere between entertaining to annoying. I'm on the latter side, personally.

    You're free to not want it in the game, I don't have any problem with that. But the reasoning is weird. I could at least understand if you wouldn't want polygamy because you wouldn't use it, that makes sense. Or at least, you wouldn't be excited for it because you wouldn't use it. But so far, your point is: "I don't want polygamy in a T rated videogame because it's unspeakably evil in real life" when... this isn't real life.

    I'm not sure why some of you are being so obtuse about this, so let me make it as clear and simple as possible.

    (1) There are some things that the community finds so unacceptable that they are not allowed in the game. Therefore, there is a line.

    (2) Different simmers will have different opinions about where that line is.

    (3) For me, that line is such that I would not be comfortable with polygamy in the game. I have explained why I feel that way. You are welcome to listen to what I have said, or not, but you're not going to convince me with "it's just a videogame."

    (4) For other people, the line is somewhere else. For some people, apparently there's no line.

    (5) We will obviously never agree about where that line is.

    (6) EA has to make a business decision about where to keep that line. I would imagine that they would want to hear various perspectives to help them make that decision.

    That's it, that is literally all it boils down to.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 203 Member
    edited July 5
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    You're also appealing to your own authority, which is a fallacy and isn't relevant here in the context of a hypothetical videogame mechanic. Disbelief and detatchment are always major ingredients in fictional worlds.

    Do you agree that there are some things that should be off-limits in a video game (more specifically, the Sims)?

    If so, which things?

    If some things but not others, why do you draw the line where you do, and why is your line of more value than mine?

    I specifically said for me personally, polygamy is over the line and grouped with things I would find unacceptable. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

    (You're also using the "appeal to authority fallacy" wrong, but that's another story.)

    Indeed, you did use "for me" numerous times, it just seemed like you were attempting to add extra value to your statements by mentioning your "extensive professional knowledge" and using bold and italics to draw attention to it. And yes, I should've been more specific. The bold is an appeal to self-authority, the italics is more anecdotal. It's questionable because you're a stranger on the Internet, none of us know you have this knowledge beyond your word. So it was weird you mentioned it, to me. Your post is a little defensive, I hope I didn't offend.

    Since your reply is shifting to a pure matter of opinion, we've no problem and on that front, we don't necessarily disagree. Frankly, I'm not certain what value adding it to the game would have, when romance and intimacy in this game is very shallow and "kiddie" and the game hardly completely supports polygamy in the first place. If my Sim can't treat one wife as equally as the other, I don't want it at all.

    I am indeed an anonymous stranger. However, I know who I am and what my experience is, and therefore that knowledge quite rightly informs my own opinion.

    Most of what we talk about on this forum is our own personal experience and how it relates to the game; just look at the current thread on whether the High School EP accurately reflects players' own high school experiences.

    That being said, no one else has to listen to me, but literally anyone can google the extremely strong links between polygamy and child mortality, child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, domestic violence, and on and on. Most of those things are very rightly not allowed in the game. You didn't answer my question above, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you wouldn't want things like child abuse (or worse) in the game. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. My point, obviously, is that because of the links between all of those things--which are well-documented by many sources, not just me-- I group all of those things together as being a unique level of evil at a different end of the moral spectrum than something like shoplifting.

    Some of the people here don't, and that's up to them. But enough people do find it disturbing that I also think it would be a very bad business decision for EA.

    And this is where my confusion lies. Your point is that you don't want polygamy in the game because of what you listed and how it effects real life, but these things aren't and never will be in the game. Why would numerous marriages in TS4 lead to child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, etc when marriage in TS4 doesn't have any depth beyond a couple of moodlets and text? Of course I don't want child abuse in TS4, but, say hypothetically, why would letting Sims have numerous marriage partners lead to their children being abused? None (or very few) of the bad associated with polygamy would make it into the game, which is why I mentioned that when they programmed snow-boarding in, they didn't add some of the horrible accidents you could experience doing so beyond a moodlet, some text, and the Sim looking physically uncomfortable. And that's my point. There's many things in the game that would be awful in real life, but they made it in regardless and nobody complains.

    For example, take the Beguile interaction. The Sim summons a tool (Cupid's Arrow, it looks like) to make a Sim much more receptive to flirty advances. Imagine that in real life. :sweat_smile:

    It's still a T rated game, child abuse would never enter into the fray at all. In TS4, it would just be 2 other roommates you woo-hoo with and an extra mom for the children or something like that. They'd still be happy and gameplay would continue normally. Where's the abuse then?

    So that's why I'm confused, you're using real world examples to argue why it shouldn't be in a videogame, but in a videogame, everything you listed isn't relevant because the developers can just program their own vision into the game. And it's not like TS4 hasn't tread this road before. Aliens, for example, kidnap Sims and impregnate them without their consent. In real life, that's unspeakably horrible, but in the Sims, people view it anywhere between entertaining to annoying. I'm on the latter side, personally.

    You're free to not want it in the game, I don't have any problem with that. But the reasoning is weird. I could at least understand if you wouldn't want polygamy because you wouldn't use it, that makes sense. Or at least, you wouldn't be excited for it because you wouldn't use it. But so far, your point is: "I don't want polygamy in a T rated videogame because it's unspeakably evil in real life" when... this isn't real life.

    I'm not sure why some of you are being so obtuse about this, so let me make it as clear and simple as possible.

    (1) There are some things that the community finds so unacceptable that they are not allowed in the game. Therefore, there is a line.

    (2) Different simmers will have different opinions about where that line is.

    (3) For me, that line is such that I would not be comfortable with polygamy in the game. I have explained why I feel that way. You are welcome to listen to what I have said, or not, but you're not going to convince me with "it's just a videogame."

    (4) For other people, the line is somewhere else. For some people, apparently there's no line.

    (5) We will obviously never agree about where that line is.

    (6) EA has to make a business decision about where to keep that line. I would imagine that they would want to hear various perspectives to help them make that decision.

    That's it, that is literally all it boils down to.

    Considering you've ignored most of what I said and you're shifting once again back to "this is just my opinion" (which I said I had no problem with) and you're becoming condescending and sinking to personal attacks, this conversation is over.
  • CopperBoltCopperBolt Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 6
    I agree that including polygamy/polyandry (much rarer) sets a bad precedent. I don't want elements in my Sims games that are closely associated with the exploitation of women and children, nor do I want anything beyond cartoony violence. If people want that stuff in their games they can mod it in.

    As far as polyamory goes, I kind of view it similarly to people who want set gender preferences in TS4 (i.e. Sims being labelled LGBQ). The game would have to come up with definitions for each attraction preference and that would create a lot of bugs. For example, if a nonbinary Sim is attracted to masculine-presenting Sims, how does the game determine who is a masculine-presenting Sim? What happens if you're playing a "straight" Sim couple and then decide hey, I want to make one or both of them LGBQ? It requires very complex categorization that just restricts gameplay imo. To have a polyamorous system it would require a monogamous system existed and it just complicates things a lot. Now, having something like a "not jealous" trait that could be used so that Sims couldn't get jealous of rival romantic partners could totally work for people who wanted polyamorous-style gameplay.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 91,767 Member
    For this to work it would have to override the games jelousy system.
  • LeandroLeandro Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Amapola76 said:
    > I'm not sure why some of you are being so obtuse about this, so let me make it as clear and simple as possible.
    >
    > (1) There are some things that the community finds so unacceptable that they are not allowed in the game. Therefore, there is a line.

    Sorry to say but LGBT relationships are illegal and unaceptable at some countries, and EA sell the game at those countries, without disable same sex marriage
  • LeandroLeandro Posts: 4 New Member
    Also at those countries EA no disabled gender customization, and will arrive at them the custom pronouns patch
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 5,867 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Legal issues :
    the United Nations Human Rights Committee reported that polygamy violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, citing concerns that the lack of "equality of treatment with regard to the right to marry" meant that polygamy violates the dignity of women

    If it's allowed, Abortion, Teen Pregrancy, Teen Wedding and Teen/Adult Romance should be allowed too ?


    Teen pregnancy is a biological fact of life. Just because it's not ideal doesn't mean it's not possible. Also, most people become legally adult when they turn 18, so technically teen sims should be able to get married and have babies. And then there are people who get married at 16 with parental consent or judge approval.

    I’m not sure why teen marriage and pregnancy should be rated M. I know a lot of teens that have children in real life. Yet, I know no one who has a polygamous marriage.
  • JALJAL Posts: 450 Member
    edited July 9
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    I agree that including polygamy/polyandry (much rarer) sets a bad precedent. I don't want elements in my Sims games that are closely associated with the exploitation of women and children, nor do I want anything beyond cartoony violence. If people want that stuff in their games they can mod it in.

    As far as polyamory goes, I kind of view it similarly to people who want set gender preferences in TS4 (i.e. Sims being labelled LGBQ). The game would have to come up with definitions for each attraction preference and that would create a lot of bugs. For example, if a nonbinary Sim is attracted to masculine-presenting Sims, how does the game determine who is a masculine-presenting Sim? What happens if you're playing a "straight" Sim couple and then decide hey, I want to make one or both of them LGBQ? It requires very complex categorization that just restricts gameplay imo. To have a polyamorous system it would require a monogamous system existed and it just complicates things a lot. Now, having something like a "not jealous" trait that could be used so that Sims couldn't get jealous of rival romantic partners could totally work for people who wanted polyamorous-style gameplay.

    I have to say I don't see the problem, as sims today are already given genders, also in mods you can make them prefer one gender over the other so there really cannot be a coding issue. For me, who definitely wants preferences in game, the gender would only be one of many things I'd like to add. Maybe someone is more attracted to female frames than male ones, another is attracted to red hair (but doesn't care about the gender attached to said hair color), a third is attracted to evil sims, and a fourth really like scientists. I really don't see an issue here, but for me adding attractions (and turn offs for that matter) it would be weird if they left out gender as most of us actually do prefer one gender over the other to at least some extent.

    As for polygami and polyamori, I cannot say I miss having it in game and certainly won't be sad if they never add it, but then again I cannot say it would bother me if it was there either. Would I use it? Perhaps, if it fitted the sim I was playing at the time. And whether that was a lying a*****e with three wives who knew nothing about each other and live in different houses or an alien queen who has five husbands catering to her ever need perfectly happy with the situation... well that should really be up to me, shouldn't it?
  • mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 17
    I mean... There's already WW if you like this kinda deviant playstyle.

    Edit: Someone pointed out Free Love NAP which works too.

    Seems like another niche feature, that already exist in game, and completely unnecessary to add. Save the budget, time and effort of the sims team on something that actually adds to the game like adding more traits with substance, better gameplay, frickin burglars and cars.
  • bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 325 Member
    I really don't need more spouses. Like what purpose would it serve having 3 wives in the house? Maybe for a scenario challenge but how can a feature like this be rewarding? Thoughts?
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 10,244 Member
    Pretend - pretend - pretend!

    Not everything in the game needs to be written (scripted) in stone. I have loads of community structures and laws in my game that the game is totally unaware of. I really don't need the game to draw all the lines. Use your imagination and play along to have fun however you like :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims
    a.jpg
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 5,499 Member
    I really don't need more spouses. Like what purpose would it serve having 3 wives in the house? Maybe for a scenario challenge but how can a feature like this be rewarding? Thoughts?

    You could live you entire life lie a king and not worry about money or house chores as long as you kept the ladies happy. :lol:
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 173 Member
    I would love polygamy as an option. However, sims are too simple for more nuanced relationships.
    Note: Don't confuse polygamy with polygyny.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,781 Member
    There are countries in the world that allow Polyandry, women having more than one husband. Considering that there are more men in some countries than women that seems ok to me! Husbands at work bringing the money in and keeping the population under better control and taking turns to take the bins out!
  • bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 325 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I really don't need more spouses. Like what purpose would it serve having 3 wives in the house? Maybe for a scenario challenge but how can a feature like this be rewarding? Thoughts?

    You could live you entire life lie a king and not worry about money or house chores as long as you kept the ladies happy. :lol:

    Something tells me that type of life isn't as simple as it seems lol
  • MariaaLopez01MariaaLopez01 Posts: 17 Member
    Open relationships are a real life concept so im looking forward for it to implemented because I have a sim who's story revolves around this idea and its disheartening that I cant get him married a second time
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,101 Member
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    I agree that including polygamy/polyandry (much rarer) sets a bad precedent. I don't want elements in my Sims games that are closely associated with the exploitation of women and children, nor do I want anything beyond cartoony violence. If people want that stuff in their games they can mod it in..

    This is why I wouldn't want polygamy added to the game.
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 140 Member
    it should be an option you can opt in or out of quite easily.
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 27
    Catzilla wrote: »
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    I agree that including polygamy/polyandry (much rarer) sets a bad precedent. I don't want elements in my Sims games that are closely associated with the exploitation of women and children, nor do I want anything beyond cartoony violence. If people want that stuff in their games they can mod it in..

    This is why I wouldn't want polygamy added to the game.
    Polygyny is the practice of one man having more than one wife. Polygamy is the umbrella term for all plural marriages. Not all polygamous marriages are bad. You just hear about the worst examples more often.

    Post edited by Cangwen on
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,426 Member
    Lecca wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    That being said, no one else has to listen to me, but literally anyone can google the extremely strong links between polygamy and child mortality, child abuse, child marriage, child trafficking, domestic violence, and on and on. Most of those things are very rightly not allowed in the game. You didn't answer my question above, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you wouldn't want things like child abuse (or worse) in the game. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. My point, obviously, is that because of the links between all of those things--which are well-documented by many sources, not just me-- I group all of those things together as being a unique level of evil at a different end of the moral spectrum than something like shoplifting.

    Some of the people here don't, and that's up to them. But enough people do find it disturbing that I also think it would be a very bad business decision for EA.

    It’s unfair to say “polygamy is strongly associated with child abuse so we can’t have it in the game”. All of those things happen in monogamous marriages, are we going to remove those from the game? “Enough people” find same sex marriage disturbing, should we remove that as well??? Sims is a sandbox, those who want their sims to be polygamist or polyamorous should be able. There is nothing wrong with consenting adults in an informed relationship. There’s nothing gained by twisting it into something that is akin to aforementioned banned/taboo mods when there’s no comparison. Those mods did not center around informed consenting adults.

    This. Any kind of marriages run risk od child/spouse abuse, child/spouse exploitation whether they have one spouse or multiple.

    In the context of the sims, polygamy would be just polyamory with extra steps/benefits. It could be a closed arrangement or open ended (in terms of like.... Sims A+B+C are in a closed throuple and all married to one another vs A is married to B and C but B and C are not married together).

    Putting gender restrictions would be silly and miss the point of the addition. IRL historical polygamy/polygyny (and often marriages between exclusively two people) women didn't have rights and were more or less property of their spouse. In Sims land there is none of that and people are equal to their marriage partners.

    Its a game that has since its inception romanticize a lot of concepts (including marriage) and gloss over it with a simplified, dramafied, or humorous view depending on the game.
  • mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    Hm... This is is super controversial. But on the plus side, imagine making an Imperial palace style harem. Tons of drama potential so I'm not totally adverse to the idea. I just don't want NPCs to all be married to each other. There better be a toggle.

    Yeah. I'll only be ok with it if there's a lot of drama. The First Wife calls all the shots, the next wives are prone to jealously. No one gets along. Pair this with the violence mod and you can have the half-siblings off each other for more inheritance (just like real life!)

    But if it's boring and adds no new gameplay features, then pass. Please spend the dev talent and time on things that are more relevant, like burglars. I think it's better to just leave it as a mod or use cheats.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top