Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why simmers are angry when Maxis bring to BG CAS items from packs?

Comments

• Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I don’t care if they give away old hairs, that doesn’t bother me, but I think it is much more rewarding if they bring out a new hairstyle too so those people who have bought the pack get a reward too. That is one thing I loved about stuff packs. We always got new hairs in them….I sure wish they would start bringing stuff packs back regularly.

The stuff packs lack afro-textured hairstyle's. I have all the packs. The main thing I download is hairstyles. It would be nice to have something in packs for afro-textured hair sims. No hair's for afro-textured sims in luxury party stuff but you can see black sims depicted on the box art. I look forward to refreshes but they haven't rolled out yet. So, People are going to feel some type of way in the moment and I don't blame them. If it weren't for the community, I guess some simmer's would just feel left out. looking at some of the comments above, people explained why it's upsetting for them to move the afro-textured hair's and I agree. I don't care about them moving furniture but I can see the disparity with afro-styled hair.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I'm not angry, but it's not cool. Like you said, those that "bought" the pack, aren't getting anything new by them changing the hair to base game. What are we getting?

To be entirely fair, what we are getting is pack refreshes. I don't know about you, but the Spa Day pack refresh was my favorite thing that the team did last year, and they didn't charge me for it.

I do agree with you about moving the hair from a pack to the base game instead of making a few completely new hairs is lazy and hardly worth applauding them for.

Don't compare two different things. We got only one pack refresh for a pack that wasn't worth the money comparing to other game packs. And I'm sure they didn't the refresh to please the pack owner. They did it to gain new buyer. I believe it was one the less recommended pack. And everyone got the nails.

It should be the same with the hairs. Everyone should benefit from these updates and not only those who didn't spend money for a pack. Why didn't they ask a content creator for new hairs instead of new outfits? It could be so easy to please everybody.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Well I get mad because I can 100% say I only buy packs for build/buy and CAS. The gameplay in this game sucks so I definitely don't buy them for that.

And honestly, I get angry because they claim inclusivity and trying to bring more textured hair to the masses and then don't even do any work to do it. Can we get MORE than just the few we already had? I get that not everyone buy packs, but that's my problem why?
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I'm not at all angry about that.

What I consider as much more unfair are the frequent sales when players get even newer packs for 50 % of the price while I as a first day buyer are never rewarded for my loyalty. I even had to discuss with the customer service about the tiny Cottage Living bonus items.

What you got for buying the first day (your loyalty) was the bonus items. That was your reward. If you don't feel like that's equal in value to the discount that people who wait for sales get, then don't buy right away. Wait for sales instead. It's your choice.
    I have never bought anything for Sims 4 that wasn't on sale because I prefer paying less to the bonus items.

As for the question at hand, I don't mind if they pull an item here or there from packs and add them to the game. I don't buy packs for one item, I buy them because they have enough in them in general to feel worth it to me. Also, as I said above, I only buy on sale, so I'm generally satisfied that I got what I paid for at that price.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    After reading all the comments, I understand why this particular CAS item might be ruffling feathers. They definitely need more Afro type hairs.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I think the problem some simmers have is that they paid for it regardless of the reasons instead of everyone getting something new and free instead. Personally I am not angry; but it is a bit disappointing when it is something I already have in game.

I'm not angry, but it's not cool. Like you said, those that "bought" the pack, aren't getting anything new by them changing the hair to base game. What are we getting?

As for the afro-styled hairstyles, can't they just make new hairstyles for that purpose? Are black folks not worth of being represented with new stuff instead of "recycled" stuff? ;)

THIS statement, right there .... is what ticks me off more than anything when they do this! How shoddy, to try and claim you as a company want to be more inclusive and represent POC, yet you can't take the time or spend the resources to actually create a brand new, never before seen hair?

No, Instead you recycle a hair that's been available for a long time, and chances are a good chunk of those players you want to "represent better" probably already own that pack with that hair, so really, what are the simmers you're trying to represent better really getting out of it if they've already own that hair?

Yeah, that about sums it up for me. I'm not angry. But it doesn't really feel like a huge effort and I understand why people might not like that they are doing it by giving away items that they sold to people.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    *double post
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Last year, there was a controversy due to the anniversary gift that was brought to the base game being a hot tub. This meant that Perfect Patio stuff pack loses its value, because the main object there are hot tubs, but now we have hot tubs in the base game.
    I remember when Perfect Patio first came out and someone asked a Guru I'm pretty sure it was Grant that would we be getting anymore hot tubs since one came in this pack. He responded with something like there would never be another hot tub like the hot tub in Perfect Patio and that it would be exclusive to this pack. I find it annoying they would slightly edit the item and make a pack I purchased for that item useless I really don't use anything else from that pack.

I think their "free gifts" should be something new everyone should get to enjoy not just stuff I already paid for how about someone take a couple hours off making the 20th kit and make a new hair for a patch instead of taking from an expansion/game/stuff pack.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    PhobostimePhobostime Posts: 38 Member
    > @DoloresGrey said:
    > As for the afro-styled hairstyles, can't they just make new hairstyles for that purpose? Are black folks not worth of being represented with new stuff instead of "recycled" stuff? ;)

Exactly. EA were quite happy to make a new hair to go with the recent free Korean wedding outfits, even though there are already lots of hairs in the base game that will work for Korean sims, but when it comes to afro textured hairs all they're prepared to do is patch existing paid content into the base game.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I'm not at all angry about that.

What I consider as much more unfair are the frequent sales when players get even newer packs for 50 % of the price while I as a first day buyer are never rewarded for my loyalty. I even had to discuss with the customer service about the tiny Cottage Living bonus items.

I always say wait for a sale, EA don't need your full price coin. Why be loyal to a company who ain't loyal to you?

That sounds like a convincing argument, but I fear that the truth is different: the game wouldn't survive without first day buyers. I did a little research on the internet and found that average video games make approx. 20 - 25 % of their first year profit within the first week after release which is a rather high percentage. In the era of TS3 EA set strong incentives to buy the packs immediately - think of all the "limited editions" like TS3 Pets with the pet store. They don't do this with TS4 anymore and I don't know why. Also adding pack items to BG seems contra-productive to me in this regard.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited January 2022
    Felicity wrote: »
    I really don't think they should be taking things from packs and making them base game. I'm not angry about it. I just think they should be making new things for the base game rather than taking things out of packs.

Sims 4 packs are already, well, not the greatest value for the $$.

Yes I agree. I’m more frustrated.
    They could make new items.
    Why make a free hot tub which makes Perfect Patio less value. I only bought that for the hot tub. There’s the chess pieces that are lights but they never completed the set. There’s only pawns and knights.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    it's because they're taking the lazy way out to seem more diverse. instead of making new hairs, they're just shipping hairs they made years prior to BG to look good. they should either just make new hairs or, if that's too much effort for them, do another CC creator collab and have their hairs in the game

it also lessens the diversity of hairs in packs - discover university has gone from having 4 textured hairs to only 3
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2022
    What really makes me sad is that this topic is about more diversity in the game. I want to be happy for them adding more diverse content and don't make me wonder "Why do they always add content to bg I paid for?". Diversity shouldn't cause any kind of discussions.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Melisendre wrote: »
    What really makes me sad is that this topic is about more diversity in the game. I want to be happy for them adding more diverse content and don't make me wonder "Why do they always add content to bg I paid for?". Diversity shouldn't cause any kind of discussions.

I think the difficult part is that Maxis can only make so much content, and this is Maxis wanting to do more than what is within their budget by giving away content to players.

And the difficult part of game development is that it very often comes down to, if you want to add something, you often have to remove something else that you want to work on. The people in charge of Maxis have to decide what they can work on and what they can make for their player base.

So I'm not sure... I personally feel that a game development studio should strive to create a good game and try to make decisions that pleases the majority of their player base and try to avoid decisions that their player base will maybe not like. Even if those decisions are for good intentions.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2022
    leo3487 wrote: »
    One buy a pack (GP vand EP) due the GAMEPLAY
    The things than Maxis is bringing from EP/GP to base game are some CAS items.

Als, I note some hypocrisy from simmers.
    I no saw simmers at twitter or here being angry when they bring to BG an actual gameplay: Vacationing and rent lots

Customers get angry because we know Live Service with EA means Maxis is supposed to 'give away' free content (not just bug patch updates) so many times a year. Well, if they just snip and clip something from a pack people paid to get there is no other way to say it but: Cheap.

It's like telling your loyal customers thanks for making us rich and btw here is our cheap way of us to honor you.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Don't get me started I'm still sour with hot tubs 🤣🤣, why don't they make items we don't already have in a pack lol
  • Options
    RionAgriasRionAgrias Posts: 305 Member
    The obvious answer is not about anger, but that the idea in this topic overall is that it's better to just not buy packs. EA always makes more money off expansions or transactions than base purchases in their flagship games. Have you seen FIFA or Madden? They can give you the occasional crumb to reward you for spending hundreds and being their beta testers. If you want to be angry, at least know why you're getting the items. You're making them big stacks of money... well, small time compared to the sports games.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    RionAgrias wrote: »
    You're making them big stacks of money... well, small time compared to the sports games.

Not so much small time. The Sims 4 was estimated as generating 462 million dollars in 2021and madden NFL was estimated at 600 million. So, less...yes...but small time even in comparison, not really.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    One buy a pack (GP vand EP) due the GAMEPLAY
    The things than Maxis is bringing from EP/GP to base game are some CAS items.

Als, I note some hypocrisy from simmers.
    I no saw simmers at twitter or here being angry when they bring to BG an actual gameplay: Vacationing and rent lots

Let's put it this way" Suppose you bought some special fire-proof armor(using real world money) for an online MMORPG that you got. Then 10months later,the MMORPG creators decided to give that fire-proof armor away for free. You'd be mad that you could of gotten that armor for free,would'nt you?
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't really mind if they put stuff in base game, I already bought the pack and enjoyed playing it for several years already. It's like getting upset that chocolate is cheaper after Christmas. Anyway, wish they could add small updates to the different gamepacks, some additional recolours, some new object, but not as part of a pack re-fresh. Like I would really like some log cabin wallpapers for outdoor retreat cabins.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Let's put it this way" Suppose you bought some special fire-proof armor(using real world money) for an online MMORPG that you got. Then 10months later,the MMORPG creators decided to give that fire-proof armor away for free. You'd be mad that you could of gotten that armor for free,would'nt you?

That has happened in many MMO's. There are games where part of their entire business model is that people who want content "now" pay but eventually it comes out as available for the free-to-play crowd. It is also the business model used by a large number of popular CC creators for The Sims.
    No one says boo to any of that and yet, this is not really any different...with one exception, all those other folks are upfront to the customers paying that it will eventually be available for everyone.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    edited January 2022
    Eh. It doesn’t make me angry, but that’s probably because none of the freebies were things I actually bought the pack for. I mean, I have never ponied up $40 for a hairstyle. Things like the calendar expand game functionality for everyone so I benefit from it going to base game and, once again, I didn’t buy Seasons because it had one. The hot tub would have been a different matter, though. If I had bought the patio pack I would have felt differently about that. But as far as I’m aware, that’s the only time a feature that was a major selling point from paid content has been rolled into base game. And, in addition to some CAS items being switched, we have been getting new items as well, especially clothing. We all know this is a way to make the base game more inclusive. New is always better, but I suppose sometimes decisions have to be made about where existing resources are best used.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Angry? No. Shoddy business ethics? Yes.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2022
    I would kick up a fuss if some gameplay elements from one pack was being pushed to basegame. Say for example you can go to a restaurant in basegame, but to actually run it you need DO. Then that's a problem.

But if its something like a hair or a shirt going to BG, I don't care. I dont buy a pack for one or two cas items or build/buy objects unless Im getting the pack at a very STEEP discount. Why pay full price for it then?