Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Non binary pronouns and language... and how will be launched at non english

2...Next

Comments

• baniduhainebaniduhaine Posts: 33 Member
    > @leo3487 said:
    > if well at Spain officially no recognize non binary language, at Argentina we recognize it, even allow at official documents

I'm curious, is "elle" the one in Argentina or another? I'm familiar with "elle" and words being ended in -e even if it was only briefly recognized.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited January 2022
    > @leo3487 said:
    > if well at Spain officially no recognize non binary language, at Argentina we recognize it, even allow at official documents

I'm curious, is "elle" the one in Argentina or another? I'm familiar with "elle" and words being ended in -e even if it was only briefly recognized.

Sincerelly, no heard Elle but yes Elles

Ellos (They - all male, or default for mixed group)
    Ellas (They - all female)
    Elles (They - mixed or to no implies all group are males or females)

In bold, the non official pronoun for 3rd person plural, used here except for anti-rights people and people than no accept the new terms of "lenguaje inclusivo"
    > @leo3487 said:
    > Sincerelly, no heard Elle but yes Elles
    >
    > Ellos (They - all male, or default for mixed group)
    > Ellas (They - all female)
    > Elles (They - mixed or to no implies all group are males or females)
    >
    > In bold, the non official pronoun for 3rd person plural, used here except for anti-rights people and people than no accept the new terms of "lenguaje inclusivo"

Ah, I'd think elle was singular for elles then, maybe. It feels perfectly intuitive to be honest, considering how trying to dance around saying any -o/-a tends to end in things like "que se [verb]". May or may not be different over there since I know Spanish has different dialects. But in any case I love the idea of a place already accepting that after the whole recognized-then-unrecognized debacle with elle. :/
    edited January 2022
    > @leo3487 said:
    > Sincerelly, no heard Elle but yes Elles
    >
    > Ellos (They - all male, or default for mixed group)
    > Ellas (They - all female)
    > Elles (They - mixed or to no implies all group are males or females)
    >
    > In bold, the non official pronoun for 3rd person plural, used here except for anti-rights people and people than no accept the new terms of "lenguaje inclusivo"

Ah, I'd think elle was singular for elles then, maybe. It feels perfectly intuitive to be honest, considering how trying to dance around saying any -o/-a tends to end in things like "que se [verb]". May or may not be different over there since I know Spanish has different dialects. But in any case I love the idea of a place already accepting that after the whole recognized-then-unrecognized debacle with elle. :/

Sorry, in fact yes, elle is singular for elles. But I no heard it often
    And as I said, non oficially recognized by RAE, but at Argentina is allowed its use
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I'm just worried that Maxis are spending all this energy on something that only matters to a tiny minority of people, I would prefer Maxis to fix Bugs! For example, let me build a Rocket Ship! Basic stuff like that....

It matters a lot. <3

If everyone had such a linear line of thinking there would barely be much representation. Only instalment of this game that has strived in making it where many can represent themselves. (There's not a lot of games like that.)

Much as I've enjoyed earlier Sims games, there was a heavy lack representation when you want to make a character like you or at least close to you. The beginning of this game had such a lack of afro-textured hairs is was sad and pitiful same with the varying skin tones. If people didn't speak up we wouldn't have the things we have now.

Probably wouldn't have bothered with this game anymore if I had to sole rely on CC creators to be making my textured hairstyle and skin tone. :*
    5vJrxmT.png
    leo3487 wrote: »
    And as I said, non oficially recognized by RAE, but at Argentina is allowed its use

Ah, nice! Good to see at least some places accept its use more openly. I don't doubt it could gain traction in PR over time, though for as long as I remember I've seen inclusivity with the x's and @'s. Gives a hope for the future to know the elle and -e's are accepted elsewhere already, even if not by higher language authorities.

• RionAgriasRionAgrias Posts: 305 Member
    I'm just worried that Maxis are spending all this energy on something that only matters to a tiny minority of people, I would prefer Maxis to fix Bugs! For example, let me build a Rocket Ship! Basic stuff like that....
    If you stripped away anything that only appeals to a small minority, The Sims would be a less rich, certainly less diverse game. I'm in that tiny minority, and I'm relieved my use of they/them is getting mainstream acknowledgement, and being regarded as less freakish.

And I'm certain their bug-fixing team aren't all tied up in this, expending 'all this energy'. I imagine this is almost entirely work for the translation/localisation team. The team have never been all that quick with bug fixes, but that's not anything to do with gender.

Who wants to bet that this inclusion will end up broken, too?
    edited January 2022
    leo3487 wrote: »

Ah, nice! Good to see at least some places accept its use more openly. I don't doubt it could gain traction in PR over time, though for as long as I remember I've seen inclusivity with the x's and @'s. Gives a hope for the future to know the elle and -e's are accepted elsewhere already, even if not by higher language authorities.

Because it, I know at english (language) neutral pronouns already is aproved and appear at dictionaries and encyclopedia (Wikipedia no count), and Gurus will start with english.
    Then urge find official words about what will do with other languages, if is only a technical difficult and is just time to do it, or if really need neutral pronouns be officially aproved to implement them

In other words and speaking for spanish version (TS4 has not latam version, we also use spanish version, unlike TS3), The Sims team only will implement neutral/non-binary pronouns when Real Academia Española accept it?

I really need an official word about it