Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Those That Play In 1440p...

I have some questions because I'm thinking about upgrading my monitor (currently at 1080p)... :)

What GPU do you use?

What monitor do you use?

Does the smaller UI bother you, or did it just take some getting used to?

For those that upgraded from 1080p or lower to 2k did you notice a big difference in the overall visual quality?

I have a 2060S, but for the sake of having a crisper display I'm seriously considering getting a 2k monitor. I play other, more demanding games than TS3, but I play TS3 more often then almost any other game so I just want to hear other opinions on how worth it it is to upgrade.

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    I'm starting to feel like I'm stalking you around the forums. :lol:

Anywho, I happen to have a 2560x1440 monitor!

-My GPU is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060. I got into the Ray-tracing game before it was cool: fun factoid. :lol:

-My Monitor is a Dell U2713HM which, according to Google has been discontinued by the manufacturer. :sweat_smile: I have had it a long time. It's a bit of a hand-me-down from my brother. :3 Great monitor, though! I mean it has lasted a long time. Only has one itty bitty dead pixel, everything else is great.

-I have terrible eyesight, but the smaller UI doesn't bother me. It really only took getting used to in terms of looking different than what I was used to. Hasn't been hard to read or navigate or anything like that.

-I used to play on an Asus laptop that was 1080p, but didn't really notice any visual quality difference between that and my PC. I'm sure there are some visual improvements, but I don't recall noticing them.

Monitors can be pricey and the difference between 1080p and 1440p isn't super significant, so if I were you I'd be happy with my 1080p until it goes caput. But, ultimately, it's up to you. If you want a new monitor and can afford a new monitor, then get a new monitor, ya know? :smiley:
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    @Emily4331 LMAO!

We have the same card! I have the Super model which I believe is just a hair better than the base model. My monitor now is still good, I guess I’ll stick it out till it goes out.

Thank you for your response!
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    edited January 2022
    I have the Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and a 27 Inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS monitor running at 60 Hz. All Sims 3 settings on the highest, and it runs fine. :) The UI size is fine, large enough so I can see what's on the thumbnails and I can read the text with no problems.

I guess 27" and 2560x1440 is the sweet spot if you want to play Sims 3 in high resolution on a big monitor. With this size and resolution you won't see the invidual pixels on the screen, and you'll feel more immersed in the game.

60 Hz is fine for Sims, but higher frequencies are popular now and I guess your 2060S could run the game at 144 Hz if you choose one of those monitors.

What size is your current monitor? If you go from 24-25" 1080p to 27" 1440p there will be a "wow-factor", but if you go from 27" 1080p to 27" 1440p the size will be the same but the image would look sharper.
    cUrfGkA.gif
    edited January 2022
    @Astro Hey, look at this pic in full size.

The upper UI is from the original 1440p screenshot, but it will look big because you're on a 1080p monitor, but you can at least see all the details.

The lower UI is the same screenshot but I scaled it down to 1080p so you can see what the size of it would be on your monitor if it were 1440p. If you already have a 27" monitor, that's the size it would be on a 1440p monitor of the same size. If you have a smaller 24" or 25" monitor, this UI pic will of course look smaller on the screen than on a 27" one.

kR3cfr3.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
    @Cororon Thank you for the comparison!

And I currently use a 24’ 144hz 1080p monitor, I was looking online and found some 1440p 24’ monitors that I’m considering. I feel like going from a 24’ to a 27’ would be a big change. I’ll have to give it some thought, thanks again!
    Astro wrote: »
    @Cororon Thank you for the comparison!

And I currently use a 24’ 144hz 1080p monitor, I was looking online and found some 1440p 24’ monitors that I’m considering. I feel like going from a 24’ to a 27’ would be a big change. I’ll have to give it some thought, thanks again!

You're welcome. Yeah, think about it. :smile:

1080p is the sweet spot for a 24" monitor, and 1440p on one would make things too small on the screen. So if you want 1440p go for a 27". :smile:

It's said that the individual pixels on the screen become invisible at normal viewing distance at around 100 PPI (pixels per inch).

24" 1080p = 92 PPI
    27" 1440p = 109 PPI

When I play Sims 3 it almost feels like I'm there. :) And when I'm editing screenshots it's really nice to have so many more details and pixels to work with.
    cUrfGkA.gif
    @Cororon I never thought about that, that does make more sense - a higher resolution requires a bigger screen.

And I think my game looks pretty good already but I would always love to have a crisper looking game with a better resolution!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    What GPU do you use?
    GTX 1070

What monitor do you use?
    (main) GIGABYTE G27QC 27" Curved 165Hz FreeSync (second) Asus MX25AQ 25" 60Hz both 2560x1440

Does the smaller UI bother you, or did it just take some getting used to?
    The small UI doesn't bother me but it may take some time to adjust. Well worth it in my opinion. I could never go back to 1080p.

For those that upgraded from 1080p or lower to 2k did you notice a big difference in the overall visual quality?
    Yes and not just that, panel quality helps too. My Asus monitor has an IPS panel which I much prefer over my GIGABYTE monitor with a budget VA panel. IPS panels aren't cheap though.

You can always turn your current monitor into a second screen if you have desk space.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @SimplyJen I know that once you get to like the 900 series (for Nvidia) the game doesn't take advantage of the better hardware, but did you notice any change in performance when going from 1080p to 2k?
    Higher-resolution affecting game performance comes down to what your video card can handle. You already know your RTX 2060 super is better than my GTX 1070. :) I wouldn't worry about your FPS tanking. Running Sims 3 in 2k vs 1080p does not hurt my FPS.
    I bit the bullet, I got a new monitor.

27', IPS, 1440p.
    j8OcvwP.png

Wasn't able to do much with it this morning as I had to get to work, but I did take some screenshots in game and I love how much crisper everything looks. This was definitely a good purchase. :)
    x3JswM0.png
    jfDagRi.png
    jrxy3IJ.png
    Nice! B)
    Nice :smile: With 27" you can really enjoy the crispiness of 1440p.
    cUrfGkA.gif
    @Cororon Yes, yes, yes! I'm very happy with it. :)