Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wedding Pack Coming?

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Yikes, I do not want arranged marriags. I'm all for respecting cultures and traditions, but I cannot support out dated sexist traditions, and I don't want them anywhere near my sims game.

That sounds a very biased and not respectful at all. Arranged marriages ≠ forced marriage and there are many sucessful arranged marriages. Its just a cultural difference. It would be an optional feature anyways so its nothing for you to be upset about.

I don't care if it doesn't sound respectful, because I don't respect it.

ar·ranged mar·riage
    /əˈrānjd ˈmerij/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a marriage planned and agreed to by the families or guardians of the bride and groom, who have little or no say in the matter themselves.

This doesn't sound optional to me 👀

The option would be whether or not you use it in your game. For some Simmers, they may want to have their parent sims arrange a marriage for the kids (when they're old enough of course) because that's the tradition in their culture. For others, they may want the drama of an unwelcome arranged marriage for their storytelling.

I wouldn't use it myself, but I wouldn't have a problem with it being an option.

They would need to rework the entire dating, falling in love, system. I don't think sims can marry in TS4 without being in love or engaged first. They also can't woohoo without being in love. So, with arranged marriages all you are doing is romancing the partner after the marriage not before.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    The Sims series seems very actively pro love and romance, so I doubt we'll see an (even optional) detachment of romance level and romantic activities.
  • safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    Modern arranged marrages can be more like what a matchamker would do anyway. It's just that usually it's the parents who are doing the work of matchmaking. For people who don't want to have to go through the ordeal of dating, it can be helpful to have an outsider's input on who might work with you.

If we are getting a pack that focuses on weddings then I want the same thing I always want from The Sims: varity. I want various types of ceremonies, I want arranged marriages, I want internet profiles, I want poly marriages, I want formal affairs, and someone dressed up as Elvis able to officiate. Options. Options. Options.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Yikes, I do not want arranged marriags. I'm all for respecting cultures and traditions, but I cannot support out dated sexist traditions, and I don't want them anywhere near my sims game.

That sounds a very biased and not respectful at all. Arranged marriages ≠ forced marriage and there are many sucessful arranged marriages. Its just a cultural difference. It would be an optional feature anyways so its nothing for you to be upset about.

ar·ranged mar·riage
    /əˈrānjd ˈmerij/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a marriage planned and agreed to by the families or guardians of the bride and groom, who have little or no say in the matter themselves.

I have no issues with families setting up partners for their children, who then get an actual say in the matter (and are not coersed into saying yes, there's a difference between consent and pressuring someone to consent reluctantly.)

I have an issue with a tradition based off of trading your daughter for a goat.

I'm all for respecting cultures and traditions

Somethings not adding up 🤔
    Your definition doesnt sound reliable at all.

What im talking about are marriages where parents suggest and set up the partners but the spouses get a say so.
    Arranged marriages ≠ forced marriage
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member
    I was skipping in and out of the livestream, but they didn't announce anything about the GP as 'one more thing' at the end. Did they mention it or give any hints earlier on?
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Reedfish wrote: »
    I was skipping in and out of the livestream, but they didn't announce anything about the GP as 'one more thing' at the end. Did they mention it or give any hints earlier on?

Sadly, not from what I saw (unless they did it waaaay in the beginning). No pack hints, no teasers. 😔
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I don't understand the discussion regarding arrange marriage since this is a game. If I as a player decide that my Sim will partner up witj a specifi c Sim there will be a marriage
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Inside Maxis Streams never cover Paid Content. It's all Base Game updates.
    edited January 2022

I was hoping for more info on base game updates. I was kind of hoping for an attraction system or something…

(The only major update the livestream showed besides more food stuff was pronouns.)
    (She/her)
  • ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member

I feel like that's the general rule, but sometimes they suddenly do? Did they mention any base game updates that might be relevant to a love/wedding pack?
    edited January 2022
    Reedfish wrote: »
    Did they mention any base game updates that might be relevant to a love/wedding pack?

Nope…(Unless you count pronouns?)

Stream had: Pronouns, a scenario involving Bella and Montgomery(?), a new robe, a new hairstyle, and some new foods.
    (She/her)
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 124 Member
    Did they feature a new hairstyle? I thought it was just a hair from DU getting added to base game
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited January 2022

ar·ranged mar·riage
    /əˈrānjd ˈmerij/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

I have no issues with families setting up partners for their children, who then get an actual say in the matter (and are not coersed into saying yes, there's a difference between consent and pressuring someone to consent reluctantly.)

What im talking about are marriages where parents suggest and set up the partners but the spouses get a say so.

"I'm all for respecting cultures and traditions, but I cannot support out dated sexist traditions"

If you're going to quote me, don't cut off my quote to suit your narrative.

Also, the quote is from the Oxford dictionary, take it up with them, it's not MY definition. :)

https://public.oed.com/help/contact-us/
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Lecca wrote: »
    Did they feature a new hairstyle? I thought it was just a hair from DU getting added to base game

It is. There is also two other items from complex sims they havent shown.
    I don’t remember where the hair came from, but the food was new at least, I think?
    (She/her)
    edited January 2022
    I don’t remember where the hair came from, but the food was new at least, I think?

Pretty sure the hair was discover university.

edit: just checked, yes it is.
  • safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    "I'm all for respecting cultures and traditions, but I cannot support out dated sexist traditions"

Also, the quote is from the Oxford dictionary, take it up with them, it's not MY definition. :)

I can't find the OE definition page through searching, but other dictionary definitions simply have it as where parents choose a spouse for their child. Not all arranged marriages are forced marriages where all objections are ignored. To state otherwise is simply ignorant.

That being said, I would personally prefer for the Sims team to leave morality judgements at the door when it comes to a life simulator anyway. I feel that the Sims plays it far too safe at times. For instance, taking robbers from the games or prefenting the player causing child deaths.

When it comes to marriages, I've seen plenty of sim stories where the parental figures do force Special Protagonist Girl to marry Arrogant Rich Man when all she wants is to run off with the Sexy Gardener (who may secretly be a prince). People like inflicting hardships on their sims to spice up their stories. Let them.

Pretty sure the hair was discover university.

edit: just checked, yes it is.

Ah, so it is a port? That’s kind of lame, lol. 😄

(I have the University pack, but I haven’t used all of its assets, yet.)
    (She/her)
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2022

ar·ranged mar·riage
    /əˈrānjd ˈmerij/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

The original comment only said arranged marriage tho?

I have an issue with a tradition based off of trading your daughter for a goat

And nothing about selling off your sims for goats? So whos really bringing up a narrative here?
    There are also many definitions from other dictionaries that simply state its a marriage where the parents choose the spouse. It doesnt say anything about it being forced, children being the spouse, people being sold or trade or anything like that. My point is there are successful arranged marriages and for some places it's just a cultural difference so no need to be biased. You dont have to agree but its good to respect others cultures when it comes down to just an opinion on how things should be done. But I believe we both agree a forced marriage shouldnt take place, which isnt something I advocate for either. I dont support forced marriage, child marriage and the like and I dont think that was being referred to in that comment.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

ar·ranged mar·riage
    /əˈrānjd ˈmerij/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

The original comment only said arranged marriage tho?

I have an issue with a tradition based off of trading your daughter for a goat

And nothing about selling off your sims for goats? So whos really bringing up a narrative here?
    There are also many definitions from other dictionaries that simply state its a marriage where the parents choose the spouse. It doesnt say anything about it being forced, children being the spouse, people being sold or trade or anything like that. My point is there are successful arranged marriages and for some places it's just a cultural difference so no need to be biased. You dont have to agree but its good to respect others cultures when it comes down to just an opinion on how things should be done. But I believe we both agree a forced marriage shouldnt take place, which isnt something I advocate for either. I dont support forced marriage, child marriage and the like and I dont think that was being referred to in that comment.

I've said multiple times that I have no issue with parents helping arrange a wedding for their kids, and setting them up, as long as both people are able to consent and say no, and feeling pressured to say yes is NOT consent btw.

I've said my issue is forced marriage, so I'm not sure how many more times I can phrase that.
    edited January 2022
    As for me, I didn’t say forced marriage or anything about trading daughters for goats…. :/

I just said arranged marriage in a list of many other romance and marriage things I would like in a pack. Arranged marriage can be done with consent, too. I hope that is clear.
    (She/her)
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I would like to have goats in the sims, so it's good there's at least a possibility. It's a party for love, but not the one we expected.
    edited January 2022
    I would like to have goats in the sims, so it's good there's at least a possibility. It's a party for love, but not the one we expected.

Lol! 😄

I don’t remember. Did the previous Sims games have goats? I didn’t get any farming stuff back when I used to play Sims 1-3… I know that Sims 3 had chickens and maybe a cow?

Anyway, back to doing schoolwork and playing while waiting for this pack. :smile:
    (She/her)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I’d like to trade goats for werebeasts.