January 14th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

I sometimes feel like there is a hidden "bad luck" trait...

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 5,430 Member
    edited January 12
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    No problem. The Child of the Island Trait is the only way to get the genetic Sulani Mana trait without cheats. It's definitely the best trait for exploring Island Living because the Elementals will pass judgement depending on how involved in Island Activities a sim is.

My current sim household has a daughter that is a teen and will be a YA soon and one of her better friends from school is an NPC who is a "Child of the Island". Maybe I'll invite him to join the household or even pursue him as her future husband so that I can play with that trait sooner rather than later.
    And for the love of all that is holy to Poseidon, do not let a Child of the Ocean go inside the Hermit's hut in Granite Falls.

You can't say something like that without explanation and expect someone to not try it to find out what happens.... :lol:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    tumblr_nasnc4uUHi1tkpp11o1_500.png
    The Winters family Chronicle
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 1,277 Member
    But, like someone said earlier in the post. I think some sims are more unlucky depending on their trait. I think lot traits and challenges impact things too.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    No problem. The Child of the Island Trait is the only way to get the genetic Sulani Mana trait without cheats. It's definitely the best trait for exploring Island Living because the Elementals will pass judgement depending on how involved in Island Activities a sim is.

My current sim household has a daughter that is a teen and will be a YA soon and one of her better friends from school is an NPC who is a "Child of the Island". Maybe I'll invite him to join the household or even pursue him as her future husband so that I can play with that trait sooner rather than later.

Be careful with that set up. Your Child of the Island has to have a kid with an Island Elemental to get the Sulani Mana trait. The challenge is getting the ghost to turn into a human.

The easiest way is one of the two methods for inviting sims into a household. I recommend using a retraiting potion. Be warned, Island Elementals will prioritize autonomous judgement. I have yet to find a way to prevent an Elemental from passing judgement the moment a Child of the Island enters a lot.

I've had Elementals pass judgement on the first floor of a house while a Child of the Island is on the second floor. Walls and doors can't stop elemental judgement.

Elementals gain their elemental powers as children and then they can pass judgement as teens at the earliest.
    And for the love of all that is holy to Poseidon, do not let a Child of the Ocean go inside the Hermit's hut in Granite Falls.

You can't say something like that without explanation and expect someone to not try it to find out what happens.... :lol:

I know, but the Children of the Ocean really love fish. Seeing a dead fish is like seeing a sim they like die.
    Here's the most helpful video I can think of for the Sulani Mana trait.

As for the Children of the Ocean, their behaviors are centered around the sea and being friends with fish and dolphins. It's an ideal trait for any merfolk.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 4,837 Member
    I keep forgetting that Island Living fire mutant power. Now I'm thing of the cool X-Men. Lol :p
    edited January 13
    I apologize for the spam, but if you use the Sulani Mana Trait to Summon Lava Bombs and turn a sim into a mermaid or merman, with the seasons pack. You can effectively make a lot perpetually in a thunderstorm with lava bombs raining down every 12 sim hours. The lightning from the thunderstorm will destroy parts of the lot, and a lava bomb that lands in just the right spot can start fires. If nothing else, the floor will be scorched with boulders everywhere.

Be warned, if the lot needs anything outside to function, this can potentially break a lot.

With the Storm Chaser trait, it's possible to "Bring the Lightning" and give your sim the ability to summon lightning strikes.

Edit: I can't imagine that anyone would go out of their way to cause senseless mayhem and destruction.... I mean, it's not like the lightning from thunderstorms doesn't strike the townies...
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 1,511 Member
    @Metior_Ice Ok this is the kind of thing that makes me want to get Island Living after all.

Tales of San Myshuno
    Posting in What Happened In Your Game Today. Index in link here

Wishing for a hard life?
    The Slacklater family's adventures in the Diminish the Torment Challenge, and how you can play too...

edited January 13
    @Metior_Ice Ok this is the kind of thing that makes me want to get Island Living after all.

I know I'd be buying it after reading all this If I didn't already have it, that's for sure. This forum convinced me to buy Bust the Dust a few days ago...a kit I thought I'd never get it. I hear interesting stories from peoples' games here and just can't help myself.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 6,886 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Could be. I had a sim living in Glimmerbrook that always had all kinds of outdoor furniture struck by lighting, to the point that I eventually stopped replacing it. :neutral:

You need to add a finial or weather vane to your roof to draw the lightning.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 5,317 Member
    Thanks for the tips @Metior_Ice, I knew about the lot challenge for volcanic activity and lot trait for Island Spirits, but I wasn't aware of the Island Elemental thing.

I've really got to take the time to explore Sulani and what it offers more thoroughly. >.<

The Child of the Ocean trait is better for merfolk and interacting with dolphins. And for the love of all that is holy to Poseidon, do not let a Child of the Ocean go inside the Hermit's hut in Granite Falls.

I’m curious, what happens to them if they go to the hermits hut?
    @SheriSim57
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips @Metior_Ice, I knew about the lot challenge for volcanic activity and lot trait for Island Spirits, but I wasn't aware of the Island Elemental thing.

I've really got to take the time to explore Sulani and what it offers more thoroughly. >.<

The Child of the Ocean trait is better for merfolk and interacting with dolphins. And for the love of all that is holy to Poseidon, do not let a Child of the Ocean go inside the Hermit's hut in Granite Falls.

I’m curious, what happens to them if they go to the hermits hut?

They mourn the death of fish as if death himself took them from the watcher's world.
    edited January 13
    @Metior_Ice

I was curious because for one of the scenarios I made a Child of the Ocean sim that was also a vegetarian…lol.
    edited January 13
    I have one sim that seemed to be cursed with bad luck when it came to his job. I had 5 male YA sim roomies. One astronaut, one musician, one cook one business sim and a tech guru ( this was several years ago before the jealousy, Squeamish, or high maintenance traits were around, and before they updated traits ). My tech guru sim would always come home from work tense ( even though I usually tried to work them at the same intensity ), so, he would have a problem completing his work at home, and ended up falling behind in work from the other sims because he would always have to watch tv or play games or something before completing his home work for the next day. I always felt like there was something working behind the scene that was causing him to be tense when the others rarely were. He didn’t have what I would consider negative traits ( didn’t have the non- committal, angry, or sad trait ), but he sure seemed to hate his job….. lol. The tenseness made me view him as a grumpy sim…. Lol.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,593 Member
    edited January 13
    I have one sim that seemed to be cursed with bad luck when it came to his job. I had 5 male YA sim roomies. One astronaut, one musician, one cook one business sim and a tech guru ( this was several years ago before the jealousy, Squeamish, or high maintenance traits were around, and before they updated traits ). My tech guru sim would always come home from work tense ( even though I usually tried to work them at the same intensity ), so, he would have a problem completing his work at home, and ended up falling behind in work from the other sims because he would always have to watch tv or play games or something before completing his home work for the next day. I always felt like there was something working behind the scene that was causing him to be tense when the others rarely were. He didn’t have what I would consider negative traits, but he sure seemed to hate his job….. lol. The tenseness made me view him as a grumpy som…. Lol.

Poor soul. And I thought death by swimming pool was cruel ;)

You should have let him quit his job and roam free!
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 4,211 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Could be. I had a sim living in Glimmerbrook that always had all kinds of outdoor furniture struck by lighting, to the point that I eventually stopped replacing it. :neutral:

You need to add a finial or weather vane to your roof to draw the lightning.

Does that actually work? I will try adding one, see if anything changes. Thank you for the tip.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 19,727 Member
    @Starmkeep Well, after all of our conversing on the subject of fires, guess who had one in her game yesterday? Yeah. I posted it on the "What Happened In Your Game, the Non-Serial Version" Yeah. What a mess.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I have one sim that seemed to be cursed with bad luck when it came to his job. I had 5 male YA sim roomies. One astronaut, one musician, one cook one business sim and a tech guru ( this was several years ago before the jealousy, Squeamish, or high maintenance traits were around, and before they updated traits ). My tech guru sim would always come home from work tense ( even though I usually tried to work them at the same intensity ), so, he would have a problem completing his work at home, and ended up falling behind in work from the other sims because he would always have to watch tv or play games or something before completing his home work for the next day. I always felt like there was something working behind the scene that was causing him to be tense when the others rarely were. He didn’t have what I would consider negative traits, but he sure seemed to hate his job….. lol. The tenseness made me view him as a grumpy som…. Lol.

Poor soul. And I thought death by swimming pool was cruel ;)

You should have let him quit his job and roam free!

You know what? For some some reason I think this sim would still be tense and grumpy….. lol!
    @Starmkeep Well, after all of our conversing on the subject of fires, guess who had one in her game yesterday? Yeah. I posted it on the "What Happened In Your Game, the Non-Serial Version" Yeah. What a mess.

I saw the picture of your Sims during the fire that you put up in the Post the Last Screenshot you took thread. Their faces were so funny! :lol:
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 175 Member
    I always assumed firestarting was a secret hobby for some sims. You know how once a sim does something a few times, they’re more likely to do it on their own? Once one of my sims gets a taste, they’re way more likely to start another fire. That or they’re secretly attracted to a firefighter. I’ve played out that story too.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 3,993 Member
    edited January 14
    The one Island Living aspect I really, really disliked was the Child of the Ocean trait having that whole “being sad at fishing/seeing dead fish” aspect.

I’m a mermaid/merfolk player. I like my mermaids/merfolk to be meat eaters and eat fish/seafood without being sad about it, thank you very much, lol! 🙂 (Think of Splash movie, or some mermaids in books being able to eat fish or other seafood like lobsters, etc.)

I mean, mermaids/merfolk have that whole “Aquatic Lure” (attracting more or rare fish at fishing spots or near boats) magic thing, so the Child of the Ocean trait feels kind of… counter to having mermaid sims who can be very good at fishing and can attract fish in fishing spots, lol.

A couple of my mermaid/merfolk Sims had the Ocean trait, and I regretted it since I wanted my merfolk to be able to fish and use their fishing magic.

And yes, to the OP ( @Stormkeep ), it does feel like some sims have worse luck than others, hehe! 😄 I also think some of the lot traits can add to that kind of chaos, too.

Luckily, none of my many sims had the stoves caught on fire (yet, lol!). The closest thing to that was when I forgot to clean the lint out of the drying machine, and the drying machine got burnt a bit.
    ~*~Occult Family Player~*~
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 40 Member
    I've messed around with MCCC adding and removing hidden traits and there's ones for what hand in dominant, one for if they like fruitcake and even one for what drink they prefer and with automatically order. But I've never seen one for luck.
    I've messed around with MCCC adding and removing hidden traits and there's ones for what hand in dominant, one for if they like fruitcake and even one for what drink they prefer and with automatically order. But I've never seen one for luck.

Deaderpool is in on keeping it secret, that's why! ;)
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 40 Member

Deaderpool is in on keeping it secret, that's why! ;)

The plot thickens...

• GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 1,032 Member
    This poor sim had a fire start under his chair at least 6 or 7 times before I figured out that it was the incense that was causing it. :joy:

Chair-Fire.jpg

It was weird because I've used the incense loads of times with other sims and had never seen it start a fire. In fact, until it kept happening to this guy, I didn't even know it could start a fire! But with him, it started a fire almost every time he used it. Too bad too, because he's got the high maintenance trait and he really needs it. :lol:
    edited January 15
    @GlacierSnow I did not even think of it in my original post here, but this household has also had 2 fires started by the incense too, on my sim who is a writer while he was working on a book. And just like you.... I don't recall it ever happening to any other sim household, and I use incense a lot.