Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blue Moon Potions, Potables and Ponderings

Comments

• Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    @viola-illyria I'm aware of the witch/vamp/were background story, but thank you for pointing it out. :) Unfortunately it doesn't meld at all with my own. But never mind all that, because I have other stories to make, and I look forward to hearing about the werewolf adventures of others. And about escapades in gardens and glades, for that matter. ;)

The lore doesn’t affect my backstory as much as I was afraid it would. Except for the origins of the breaking of The Realm, which seems flimsy to me. I really didn’t have an origin story for vampires or werewolves, so the one in the lore is fine. I have a distinction between Morgyn, as the last of an ancient race called The Arcanes, and Spellcasters, who in my stories are humans who received some limited magic from The Arcanes, so the lore in game doesn’t negate Morgyn’s position at all, and actually works with the idea of human-magic Spellcasters making a mess of things. The rest of my backstory of Spellcaster-human conflict is still intact. Oh, Oberon is back…

Hello, travelers.

You will find that none of that matters here. The Blue Moon exists outside of any one reality. All worlds are welcome.

• Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    Here's a rough draft of the larger story that is the backdrop of my little occult romance...

Spellcasters(The Coven)-

Look down on werewolves and non-magical humans. They consider werewolves to be lower than non-magical humans. Their dislike for both stems from their belief that neither strives for a higher state of consciousness. They hate vampires.

Spellcasters have a fragile truce with humans. This is a recent development. For centuries going back to the time of The Cleansing, there has been deep mistrust if not open animosity and war between spellcasters and humans for the persecution of spellcasters and their Cleansing by fire. They will help to defend humans in cases of vampire attacks but don’t trust them. They are fearful that some among the humans want to start a new Cleansing, which is not an unfounded fear.

Werewolves(The Pack)-

They hate humans because humans keep hunting them down and killing them, and spellcasters because they try to lift the werewolf curse and recruit them to spellcasting. The werewolves love connecting with the more primitive side of their nature and can’t understand why the others don’t want to do the same. Most werewolves do not want to be cured and will attack any human or spellcaster who attempts to do so. Like the others they loathe vampires and will on occasion band together with humans and spellcasters to defeat them. That alliance is fragile and ends as soon as the battle against vampires is over.

Vampires(The Guild)-

They feel contempt for all other life states. They see themselves as nobility, kings and queens, and this status entitles them to rule over all others. They see the others as useful only in satisfying their needs and desires. It wasn’t always like this with the vampires, but nobody can locate the master vampire who turned them from a nuisance to a plague. All who are turned, by choice or against their will become willing soldiers in the army of the night. After being drank from three times a victim will become a vampire even if against their will. If the master vampire can be located and defeated this plague will end and the current war will end and the longstanding uneasy peace will return. There is a faction within the vampires that has fought successfully against being corrupted, They too secretly, and quietly, seek the unseen master vampire who has turned them into pariahs and wish to overthrow him and restore the ‘Old Ways’

Humans-

Dislike or hate the occults, though that isn’t a universal belief. Some do accept the existence of the occults. There is a faction within the humans, ‘The Righteous’ who seek to eliminate all occults or at least those who refuse to accept a cure that returns them to a non-occult human state.

The Cleansing-

A time in history four centuries past, where occults were actively hunted down like animals and captured. They were ‘tried’ for their crime of being ‘Unclean’ and cleansed by fire. All occults have passed down stories of The Cleansing through the centuries and it is a major reason why they are distrustful of the humans now. They know of the existence of The Righteous who would like to bring about a new Cleansing, but since they hide amongst the other humans this causes tension in all interactions.

Even the spellcasters that feel contempt for humans who don’t seek a higher state of being, wish to defeat the master vampire who turned The Guild to evil, and the The Righteous who persecute all occults. The same holds true for werewolves who only wish to be left alone to live a life that embraces the animal within. The faction within the Guild who seek to defeat the master, wish to restore them as accepted, if not embraced, by the other life states.

I am going to try my best to articulate my question properly, because this is probably going to make no sense to anybody, but how do you go about playing out these kind of storylines? They sound awesome, and I'd love to play interesting storylines like this, but how do the game mechanics allow it?

I'm just going to try and give a couple of examples to better explain what I mean. In this story, spellcasters look down on Werewolves and non-magical humans. However, what is to stop a spellcaster going up to a werewolf, greeting them pleasantly and getting positive reactions?

How in the game would occults be 'hunted down and captured'? How could Vampires 'rule over others'?

I love these ideas, but how could you make these things appear to happen in your game?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Here's a rough draft of the larger story that is the backdrop of my little occult romance...

Spellcasters(The Coven)-

Look down on werewolves and non-magical humans. They consider werewolves to be lower than non-magical humans. Their dislike for both stems from their belief that neither strives for a higher state of consciousness. They hate vampires.

Spellcasters have a fragile truce with humans. This is a recent development. For centuries going back to the time of The Cleansing, there has been deep mistrust if not open animosity and war between spellcasters and humans for the persecution of spellcasters and their Cleansing by fire. They will help to defend humans in cases of vampire attacks but don’t trust them. They are fearful that some among the humans want to start a new Cleansing, which is not an unfounded fear.

Werewolves(The Pack)-

They hate humans because humans keep hunting them down and killing them, and spellcasters because they try to lift the werewolf curse and recruit them to spellcasting. The werewolves love connecting with the more primitive side of their nature and can’t understand why the others don’t want to do the same. Most werewolves do not want to be cured and will attack any human or spellcaster who attempts to do so. Like the others they loathe vampires and will on occasion band together with humans and spellcasters to defeat them. That alliance is fragile and ends as soon as the battle against vampires is over.

Vampires(The Guild)-

They feel contempt for all other life states. They see themselves as nobility, kings and queens, and this status entitles them to rule over all others. They see the others as useful only in satisfying their needs and desires. It wasn’t always like this with the vampires, but nobody can locate the master vampire who turned them from a nuisance to a plague. All who are turned, by choice or against their will become willing soldiers in the army of the night. After being drank from three times a victim will become a vampire even if against their will. If the master vampire can be located and defeated this plague will end and the current war will end and the longstanding uneasy peace will return. There is a faction within the vampires that has fought successfully against being corrupted, They too secretly, and quietly, seek the unseen master vampire who has turned them into pariahs and wish to overthrow him and restore the ‘Old Ways’

Humans-

Dislike or hate the occults, though that isn’t a universal belief. Some do accept the existence of the occults. There is a faction within the humans, ‘The Righteous’ who seek to eliminate all occults or at least those who refuse to accept a cure that returns them to a non-occult human state.

The Cleansing-

A time in history four centuries past, where occults were actively hunted down like animals and captured. They were ‘tried’ for their crime of being ‘Unclean’ and cleansed by fire. All occults have passed down stories of The Cleansing through the centuries and it is a major reason why they are distrustful of the humans now. They know of the existence of The Righteous who would like to bring about a new Cleansing, but since they hide amongst the other humans this causes tension in all interactions.

Even the spellcasters that feel contempt for humans who don’t seek a higher state of being, wish to defeat the master vampire who turned The Guild to evil, and the The Righteous who persecute all occults. The same holds true for werewolves who only wish to be left alone to live a life that embraces the animal within. The faction within the Guild who seek to defeat the master, wish to restore them as accepted, if not embraced, by the other life states.

I am going to try my best to articulate my question properly, because this is probably going to make no sense to anybody, but how do you go about playing out these kind of storylines? They sound awesome, and I'd love to play interesting storylines like this, but how do the game mechanics allow it?

I'm just going to try and give a couple of examples to better explain what I mean. In this story, spellcasters look down on Werewolves and non-magical humans. However, what is to stop a spellcaster going up to a werewolf, greeting them pleasantly and getting positive reactions?

How in the game would occults be 'hunted down and captured'? How could Vampires 'rule over others'?

I love these ideas, but how could you make these things appear to happen in your game?

@manicobsessive I can’t speak for @DaniRose2143, but my own game has a very deep backstory, as well. For me, the game is a story telling engine, so my own imagination plus the game create the story. The story isn’t just dependent on gameplay. The backstory is what has happened before the gameplay starts that creates depth in the characters and world and motivates how I play them in game. I’m not trying to make the backstory happen. It’s the game story’s history. I play out the game with the backstory in mind. For example, in my game, Morgyn Ember is the last of an ancient race called The Arcanes who imparted magic to the Spellcasters. I’ve developed him with unique abilities as a result of the backstory, and what I guide him to do has to be consistent with that story. A good backstory, though, leaves plenty of room for the game to create twists, which adds to the fun.
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    Has anyone else here tried the mod Faeries vs Witches by spinning plumbob? I got fed up waiting for the fae to make their offical return and this is very well done.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,844 Member
    @manicobsessive This is a first for me so I have been trying to figure it out myself. I wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to make it work. @cyncie's explanation of how she works her story gives me some things to think over that may help me figure it out yet. When I played with werewolves for the first time I was like there's no way this story I had in mind is ever going to work, now I'm thinking it might not be dead yet. Stories like the one in my signature is what I'm used to and know how to do.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2022
    Has anyone else here tried the mod Faeries vs Witches by spinning plumbob? I got fed up waiting for the fae to make their offical return and this is very well done.

I’m also waiting for the fairies, too. I started using the before the last couple of recent patches, and I was loving it. I loved seeing the wings and the animations, especially! :grin:
    I’m going to keep using the mod while I wait for actual fairies. Hopefully there will be a fairy pack before Sims 4 support ends. :smile:

I’m not sure how others do it, but whenever I want a story to happen, I just… make the story in my head and create the characters with certain traits and relationships and then direct them to do whatever fits the “story” at the time. The Sims franchise is a simulation game and a story telling tool, so it’s really up to the players to be creative, use their imaginations, and direct whatever actions they want to happen.

We all have to accept that Sims will have their quirks, and that there is a certain more upbeat or silly tone to the Sims games, especially Sims 4, lol.

I am not fond of most forced set lore in The Sims games, so I am glad most packs don’t do a lot of forced set lore (with a few exceptions), and I am free to play around with the characters and have my occult families mix together with other occults and non-occults, so I can make and play out my own stories. :smile:

(I know Werewolves pack has some very concrete lore, but I plan to ignore some of that so I can have my usual mixed-occult family stories without the animosity and without the pack’s occults’ intertwined set backstory, etc.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited June 2022
    @manicobsessive If you want the game to complement your story, line of sight is your friend (or foe). In my world Selvadorada for a long time was closed off to the public, but I also play a gardening/biofood company that wants a perfect specimen of every plant. So first my gardeners needed to pay money to even get into Selvadorada (take away with the money cheat). Then, if they walked into line of sight of a local in the jungle (it happens sometimes, especially in the ancient baths), they had to use socials that I chose on the fly, like "Lie about career". If the other sim responded negatively, my sim needed to flee (forced return to base camp) and try picking avocados and emotion berries another day. If I felt like it, I'd fight instead of flee, but a loss meant prison aka having to buy them out later or a few days of community hours as, say, a pearlfisher (Sulani and Selvadaroada are the same country in my world) plus a daily "Volunteer" rabbithole action (from parenthood).

This approach works better for rotational play, where everyone knows everyone else. For example when I played my cops in Moonwood Mill the game spawned the gardeners there. I "realized" that "obviously" they were after moonpetals, but Moonwood Mill is McGavin territory, so my cops nicely asked the gardeners to leave. Without a backstory, these sims wouldn't have reason to interact at all.
    The gardeners now have to befriend a sim who belongs to the McGavin clan to be allowed to pick flowers in Moonwood Mill. Had I played a McGavin (that includes all premade werewolves), I'd probably attacked the gardeners.

Hope these examples make the story driven playstyle it a bit clearer. Basically you ask yourself "How can the game mechanics add chance and randomness to the dollhouse story I'm acting out".
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    It's possible to make a Multi-Occult Hybrid & powers with the Occult traits. However, just avoid adding the Mermaid, it's still too glitchy. Also, make sure to add the Werewolf traits last.
    In order for making a full hybrid:

Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_OccultAliens_FakeAliens

Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_OccultVampires
    Stats.Set_Stat RankedStatistic_Occult_VampireXP 1593
    (repeat the Vampire power points to be able to select powers)

Trait.Equip_Trait Trait_Occult_WitchOccult
    Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_Occult_WitchOccult_BloodlineAncient
    Stats.Set_Stat RankedStatistic_WitchOccult_WitchXP 2350
    Stats.Set_Stat RankedStatistic_WitchOccult_WitchXP 2850
    (repeat the last Spellcaster power points a few times to be able to select powers)

Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_OccultWerewolf
    Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_OccultWerewolf_DormantWolf
    Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_OccultWerewolf_GreaterWolfBlood

This is for Vanilla players that have the Get To Work, Vampires, Realm Of Magic & Werewolves packs.

Oh, & have fun with your very powerful hybrid sims. :pB);)

• Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    @cyncie @DaniRose2143 @LatinaBunny @EnkiSchmidt Thanks so much for your responses! This has definitley made things alot clearer. I have an occult story forming in my head already which I'm going to do my best to fit into the mechanics of the gameplay, so thank you!
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    I'm having some problems posting in this thread so.... this is a test.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd drop a couple of songs in here for consideration for the jukebox....

Stevie Nicks - Sorcerer
    https://youtu.be/i0BU2zI7Enc

Eagles - Witchy Woman
    https://youtu.be/fCcEjZQQNjo
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 Thank you for the excellent recommendations. They have been added.

• Options
    cyncie wrote: »
    @DaniRose2143 Thank you for the excellent recommendations. They have been added.

You are so welcome. I love music so I'm always coming up with songs to match my surroundings. Or like tonight just turn on Spotify, YouTube, or my own collection and put it on random and just let them play whatever.

• Options
    @DaniRose2143 I hope you enjoy the jukebox on Spotify, then. It’s about 4 hours of recommendations from this thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    *waddles towards the jukebox, smiling, hair and clothing all wet from swimming in the lake, and takes over the jukebox by playing a bunch of randomly-mixed eclectic songs that may be siren/mermaid-like-themed into the jukebox before mischievously waddling away and quietly chirping (like a laughing dolphin)*

(Natasha Blume - Black Sea)
    https://youtu.be/Q8DFh-JmiS0

(Cyrus - Into the Shadows - Epic Rock version)
    https://youtu.be/IlEUEpnHzpI

(Aurora - Under the Water, 2 versions: a lyrics-only video of the recorded version and a live stage performance version)
    https://youtu.be/YKYt4PehnbE
    https://youtu.be/zVGQWw4Ap6o

(Fleurie - Sirens / I Can Hear the Sirens)
    https://youtu.be/hqU_vvLfyJI

(Kailee Morgue - Siren)
    https://youtu.be/HHjgS8wb8M0

(Meghan Trainor - Underwater)
    https://youtu.be/lSSJl-zeD9Y

(Ruelle - Deep End)
    https://youtu.be/FLu-UOo3j-o

([Old 80s cartoon clip of series I loved] Jem and the Holograms - Come On In, The Water’s Fine!)
    https://youtu.be/FrJG8GaJtmI

(Here is a Siren-oriented playlist I always love to listen to)
    https://youtu.be/BmfLlIumkBE
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @LatinaBunny your collection of music reminded me of a sea-themed concept piece I mixed a few years ago. It wasn't specifically created to be about sirens, but it could be. They and other mysteries of the deep were in the back of my mind at the time. ;) I don't do videos, but I've uploaded the track here on Soundcloud. Hope you and other merfolk fans will enjoy. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    @LatinaBunny @VeeDub Thanks for the recommendations. Sea related tunes have not been well represented in the jukebox. We will change that.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    VeeDub wrote: »
    @LatinaBunny your collection of music reminded me of a sea-themed concept piece I mixed a few years ago. It wasn't specifically created to be about sirens, but it could be. They and other mysteries of the deep were in the back of my mind at the time. ;) I don't do videos, but I've uploaded the track here on Soundcloud. Hope you and other merfolk fans will enjoy. :)
    Cool! Thanks, @VeeDub ! :smiley:

Yeah, I love merfolk/mermaids! It’s a bit easier to find music for werewolves, sometimes vampires, and some Spellcasters/witches/sorcerers/mages compared to some of the other occults, so I tried to go with a general feel and themes of “going under” or sirens, since mermaids do sing and have the potential to pull folks under the water (though more deadlier in Sims 3), hehe. 😉

Speaking of going under, I forgot to add rock song “Going Under” by Evanescence, because why not?
    https://youtu.be/oOkJaJjfzbE
    It’s way easier to find songs for the more “dangerous” or “bloodthirsty” occults and spellcasters because there are so many songs about the inner darkness/dark side and “animal within” types of songs, lol. :smile:

It was kind of tricky for the mermaids, but I think the toughest occults to find music for are the more obscure or neglected or underrated occults like aliens, plantsims, etc.

For aliens, the only song that popped in my head was Katy Perry, lol. That one E.T. song.
    https://youtu.be/2lrxaY-hcvA
    (I do love Katy Perry’s songs, though. My guilty pleasure purchase was Sims 3’s Sweet Treats, lol.)

I’m guessing for plantsims, maybe it could be… some atmospheric/instrumental fantasy music or summer-themed pop songs, hmm? 🤔
    (She/her)
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »
    @LatinaBunny @VeeDub Thanks for the recommendations. Sea related tunes have not been well represented in the jukebox. We will change that.

Thanks, hehe! :smile: It was a bit tricky to find some, so I tried to focus more on the feeling or metaphors of “going under/going down deep” or themes of seduction or pulling people under in an emotional way, etc. :)

I think pirate songs or island or tropical music could work as well, though some of those may be too…peppy or upbeat for this more darker moody and dangerous night occult bar/club, hehe, lol! 😄

Found a couple that could sort of be “space-themed” for aliens, though they are more hard rock than the Katy Perry ET pop song.

Starset - Satellite

https://youtu.be/vm-dkiXNgtc

Avantasia - Lost in Space

https://youtu.be/5Frb7JuLjXM
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited July 2022
    Good evening. I will have a glass of your finest aged plasma, preferably with a slightly bitter character. Maybe a widow from the war. In addition: do you, perchance, have plasma jellies? I so long for the sophisticated snack I so fondly remember from when I was first turned. I was abducted from my home by a wealthy vampire who became enchanted by me as a human, you see, and wished to turn me into an undying songbird. Yes, I sing, but the music here is so fine that I do not wish to disrupt it. My sire had extensive underground crypts and dungeons on his property, in which he kept sims who approached him with wishes to eventually turn into vampires themselves. He fed them fine ingredients to flavour their plasma for his confections and bottlings. He made plasma pearls (akin to caviar), floral- and honey-flavoured plasma tarts, jellies... Of course, he never turned those poor souls. They did not have... that fire that keeps vampires alive for so long. Sometimes they were simply too kind. Those who have been around a while will know that the vampires who last are, generally, exceptionally cold-hearted. That is my experience, at least.
  • Options
    @Louise_G0325 Well met, fellow traveler. Your sire may be cold-hearted indeed, but it sounds as though he has exquisite taste. I'm sure he's pleased to see that you seem to have developed similar tastes. And while warmth can be a fine thing, sometimes a cold heart and a chilled (and filled) crystal flute is even better.
  • Options
    @Louise_G0325 Welcome to The Blue Moon. We strive to provide all the best refreshments for our unique clientele. As our friend @VeeDub has said, it sounds as if you have very refined tastes. Perhaps a look at our premium offerings will yield something to your liking. Please, make yourself at home.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Nice to see Mermaids and Aliens are getting some audio love too. 💙
    @VeeDub I'm enjoying your Steel Waves and Bubbles! It has that siren effect on me, I'm sort of zoning out here haha. :D Time for me to curl up by the fire...or on the beach. Do you create a lot of tracks ?

I think at this point all us music loving Blue Moon patrons should start a band. The Blue Moon Band. Those who aren't comfortable playing an instrument could just howl, meow, hiss or bubble along.

I'm so ready for this.
    animal-electric-mayhem.gif
  • Options
    @Louise_G0325 Welcome to the Blue Moon, or as I like to think of it, "The Home for Wandering Children of the Night and other Mystical Beings". If you hear howling don't worry it's only me and I'm harmless, mostly. Ok, ok, ok, entirely harmless. I'm not a bad wolf, I am housebroken, I see to it that I take a flea bath at least once a week, and I promise if you're allergic to dogs and wolves I won't use my wolf form indoors.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Give me a minute to tune up and I'll be ready

giphy.gif

Ready!
  • Options
    Nice to see Mermaids and Aliens are getting some audio love too. 💙
    @VeeDub I'm enjoying your Steel Waves and Bubbles! It has that siren effect on me, I'm sort of zoning out here haha. :D Time for me to curl up by the fire...or on the beach. Do you create a lot of tracks ?

I think at this point all us music loving Blue Moon patrons should start a band. The Blue Moon Band. Those who aren't comfortable playing an instrument could just howl, meow, hiss or bubble along.

I'm so ready for this.
    animal-electric-mayhem.gif

Thank you. I'm glad it's having the intended effect. Just be wary, lest your ship slowly begins to drift toward any sharp rocks out there. :sunglasses: As for a lot of tracks, I don't have the time to do many these days. But today I uploaded another older one that you might find a bit amusing, and it also suits the theme of this tread in a rather roundabout way. I won't say how, exactly, because the spoiler is in the track itself, but I created Instructions Included as a sort of joke gift for a friend's engagement party (hint: he and his lady are fans of horror movies). It was sneaked in between the announcement background music and the post-announcement dance set.
    But the joke was also a form of "friendly advice" to someone who had claimed for years that he would never marry. :lol:

As for the band, I call dibs on keyboards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top