Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There's no roads for cars

2...Next

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,490 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »
    I guess I just don’t get the obsession with needing cars in the game. And this comes from someone who appreciates and owns some classic vehicles. The aesthetic of some worlds would be completely ruined by cars, which are pretty useless from a functional gameplay standpoint, anyway. I would be disappointed to suddenly see cars in Sulani, Forgotten Hollow, or HOB.

Um can I just say that as a Brit who happens to live in the countryside cars are absolutely essential to getting anywhere so they make complete sense in HOB - probably the most sense out of all the worlds tbf!

Indeed. As another Brit in the countryside, it would make sense for the outskirts. The same can be said for the countryside outside Windenburg town.

That said, I also don't see the need for functional cars in the game. The 'NPC' cars that drive by is enough for me. I suggested above transport themed loading screens as a level of abstraction that would fit the bill, IMO.

I tend to see the structure of the game in terms of each neighbourhood acting like a theater set. Transitions between the different sets are sort of a 'Meanwhile...' while playing rotationaly or a cut to new scene when controlling a single household. I could, possibly, see a set where cars were a feature of the set as an object that could be interacted with, but as a functional mode of transport in the game - I'm not seeing it.

My main save the Sims are living in the 23rd century. They transport to their destination. Hense I'm not at all bothered by the loading screens. We had those in Sims2, even though we also had cars. They would simply drive down the street and disappear like our Sims do now.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    I guess I just don’t get the obsession with needing cars in the game. And this comes from someone who appreciates and owns some classic vehicles. The aesthetic of some worlds would be completely ruined by cars, which are pretty useless from a functional gameplay standpoint, anyway. I would be disappointed to suddenly see cars in Sulani, Forgotten Hollow, or HOB.

Um can I just say that as a Brit who happens to live in the countryside cars are absolutely essential to getting anywhere so they make complete sense in HOB - probably the most sense out of all the worlds tbf!

Indeed. As another Brit in the countryside, it would make sense for the outskirts. The same can be said for the countryside outside Windenburg town.

That said, I also don't see the need for functional cars in the game. The 'NPC' cars that drive by is enough for me. I suggested above transport themed loading screens as a level of abstraction that would fit the bill, IMO.

I tend to see the structure of the game in terms of each neighbourhood acting like a theater set. Transitions between the different sets are sort of a 'Meanwhile...' while playing rotationaly or a cut to new scene when controlling a single household. I could, possibly, see a set where cars were a feature of the set as an object that could be interacted with, but as a functional mode of transport in the game - I'm not seeing it.

My main save the Sims are living in the 23rd century. They transport to their destination. Hense I'm not at all bothered by the loading screens. We had those in Sims2, even though we also had cars. They would simply drive down the street and disappear like our Sims do now.

Oh. I hadn’t thought about people who like to play alternate time periods, fantasy worlds or historical games. My game is a fantasy game, but set in the current sim world. But, for some games current technology is already somewhat immersion breaking as it is.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

It would be nice if the loading screens were short animations relevant to the journey a sim was taking. I mentioned using a static screen as a pragmatic and possibly technical feasible solution.

I would absolutely buy an official sims game set in the far future!! My game has a scifi vibe to it as well, but more near future.

One of the reasons I like the sims is that it has no real connections to the real world except satirically.

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'd love a futuristic EP, or total spinoff, for the game. And a Cyberpunk and a medieval one, for that matter.

Makes me sad to see so much support for cars but so few sadness over not getting horses even after 2 different EP's now have added animals. I feel that horses would add more gameplay than cars.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Roads?! Where we're going We don't need Roads!!!
    https://youtu.be/G3AfIvJBcGo

Sims 4: Back to Into The future!

Hold on a moment!
    That date in the clip just hit me. :p

"October 21, 2015", that was a little over 6 years ago.
    Flying cars are not a thing yet, but they are working on transportation drones.
    "The Future" is always further out than our imaginations.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    The driveway problem is easily solved: your sim climbs into their car and are trleported to the nearest road. It's not like they haven't skimped on animations before.

Then what would be the point of including them? The Sims 3 had teleporting into their slot cars (among other objects) but that was a necessary part of the world due to the speed of gameplay vs the speed of the game. They had to drive everywhere, even the shortest of distances, if they ever wanted to get anywhere in a reasonable time.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2022
    Mermaids can only really be mermaids in one world. Pets, while usable in any world, spawn only in one. Cars will probably get similar treatment.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited January 2022
    LJK wrote: »
    Mermaids can only really be mermaids in one world. Pets, while usable in any world, spawn only in one. Cars will probably get similar treatment.

That would be my assumption. If they ever get added it will be in one world. I'd also like a buildable car like the one we had in Sims 2. It built mechanical skill (now handiness), you could paint it different colors, then you could sit in it and listen to music, chat, woohoo, or drive somewhere just like other cars.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I'd also like a buildable car like the one we had in Sims 2. It built mechanical skill (now handiness), you could paint it different colors, then you could sit in it and listen to music, chat, woohoo, or drive somewhere just like other cars.

My dad is a car guy and my whole childhood to mid-thirties my dad is constantly under cars and tuning up cars, and buying beater cars and fixing them. I can't have my dad in the game without the ability to do this. I agree.

I care less about driving. I found it boring in Sims 3. I like the garage hobby stuff.