Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Warning for AMD GPU owners for Sims 4. Serious reflection glitch. *FIXED/PATCHED

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
This issue effecting AMD gpu's has been resolved officially via recent AMD drivers, thank you for EA or/and AMD for helping resolve this issue!
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Thanks for the warning and all the data & links provided. I was planning to update my GPU this year (current prices though...) and now I know I'll have to specifically consider it's compatibility with Sims sigh.

Anyways, it's such a shame to see so little incentive from both sides to deal with such issues. Probably Sims4 is really coming to it's end anyway despite all hire ups statements.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2022
    You would think this would have been a bigger more well known issue considering that a lot of people play on PC and probably use AMD GPUs.

The sims4 is 7 years old so it's getting a bit old, I'm guessing that's why you got that response from AMD but... regardless it should still be supported by EA and AMD as long as they are selling the sims4 to people.

I guess we can count this one as well to another problem with supporting a game for so long. Especially if companies don't want to spend resources to fix problems like this.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited January 2022
    logion wrote: »
    You would think this would have been a bigger more well known issue considering that a lot of people play on PC and probably use AMD GPUs.

The sims4 is 7 years old so it's getting a bit old, I'm guessing that's why you got that response from AMD but... regardless it should still be supported by EA and AMD as long as they are selling the sims4 to people.

I guess we can count this one as well to another problem with supporting a game for so long. Especially if companies don't want to spend resources to fix problems like this.

Its finally getting a lot more attention thankfully, but that;s mostly because more and more people are upgrading their PC's again. A lot of people at first also don't understand whats causing the issue, they think its a bug and report it as such so I'm also trying to bring more awareness to of the exact cause.

I hoping the AMD email was just some very uninformed AMD tech support guy, the fact he thought the Sims 4 was released in 2003 and called it a legacy game nearly 20 years old is telling.

My further concern is this glitch will exist for the next generation 7000 series AND The Sims 5 with AMD.

The hope is Maxis will go out of their way to tell AMD to update their drivers/gpu's to support the Sims 4 reflections properly (which would also in turn I assume fix Sims 3 reflections since both games render reflections the same way).

The Sims 4 is still a massive money maker and this issue works both ways, people might avoid buying the Sims 4 if they know it will have graphic issues with their new gpu, not to mention any further Sims titles.
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I have reflections off, but I would like to turn them on one day. Thanks for the info!
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I find those screenshots to be rather hilarious...I mean, that's one crazy, crazy bug.

Good looking out warning people though, and despite laughing at how the reflections are showing what is behind the mirrors (that makes them WINDOWS, not mirrors...) I feel for your pain having this issue.

20 years ago I had an AMD card and it had issues with a popular game that I played at the time which needed them to fix in drivers to resolve, and they played the same song and dance back then as well. I have never owned an AMD GPU since then.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Thank you so much for the Heads-up. Hubby keeps teasing that I need a new computer. I don't have this issue at the moment, thank God, but it's very unnerving from the pictures and the video you showed as a demonstration. Talk about losing game immersion! Yikes.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Be warned, apparently the NVidia GeForce RTX 3000 series are having issues too. Dealing with a defective card right now.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Glad my GTX 1070 Ti is still going strong. o:)

My Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

CPU: AMD Wraith Stealth (Stock)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra

RAM: 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws V

GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 Ti

PSU: 650W EVGA GQ

NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot): 500GB Samsung EVO

HDD #1: 2TB Western Digital Black

HDD #2: 2TB Toshiba

SSD #1: 1TB Samsung 980

Case: NZXT H510
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    edited January 2022
    So I just received a followup email from AMD.

"Thank you for your response
    Please note even the SIM 4 game is not compatible with the latest hardware 5000 and 6000 series GPUs. you may contact your game developers regarding game compatibility information or for the known issue with the latest hardware
    Thanks for contacting AMD."

So this is a big warning, DO NOT buy AMD cards if you play the sims 4. They clearly have no interest in supporting the game despite it having over 36 million players. I have no clue why.

If you need to upgrade buy nvidia.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2022
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So I just received a followup email from AMD.

"Thank you for your response
    Please note even the SIM 4 game is not compatible with the latest hardware 5000 and 6000 series GPUs. you may contact your game developers regarding game compatibility information or for the known issue with the latest hardware
    Thanks for contacting AMD."

So this is a big warning, DO NOT buy AMD cards if you play the sims 4. They clearly have no interest in supporting the game despite it having over 36 million players. I have no clue why.

If you need to upgrade buy nvidia.

Maybe because it is not their focus, if it has nothing to do with COD, BF, etc, they may not focus on Sims 4. The last AMD card I brought was the 590 and I have no problems playing Sims 4. I have no desire to buy an AMD card and make it worse can't get an Nvidia card unless I pay more than MRSP and am not doing that and only time I will get the new Nvidia cards is when I retire in a year or two. AMD may not see any profit in supporting Sims 4 as they do with the other games, who knows they may change their way of thinking.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited January 2022
    @TOLKIEN Have you created a report on Answer HQ? It might be good, if for nothing else just so there is an official report in their technical issues forum, maybe crinrict or someone else know something more regarding this.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Have you posted this information in AHQ’s Technical Issues-PC thread? It just seems like a way to alert more people to the problem.
    edited January 2022
    Have you posted this information in AHQ’s Technical Issues-PC thread? It just seems like a way to alert more people to the problem.
    @TOLKIEN Have you created a report on Answer HQ? It might be good, if for nothing else just so there is an official report in their technical issues forum, maybe crinrict or someone else know something more regarding this.

I have and posted updates to thread (as wolvescreek) linked in my original post. Here it is again:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Reflections-show-backwards-in-mirrors-Radeon-RX-6000-Series/td-p/10125588

This glitch is now well documented since end of 2020, with nearly weekly updates of people reporting the same or crinrict merging threads into it, as more people are upgrading their gpu's. Only to discover that current generation AMD cards do not support reflections in the Sims 4.

AMD literally confirmed today, their current gpu lineup doesn't officially support the Sims 4, as its a "legacy title" despite being a current flagship game for EA.

I also mentioned in my original post, I had a friend finally take a look at the game (he works at EA sports) who replied its gpu level error and needs to be addressed my AMD not EA.

EA needs to reach out to AMD to fix this issue or officially warn gamers that AMD cards no longer official support Sims 4.

Hence my warning. Please get the word out, tell your game changers, tell your gurus.
    Oh, sorry. I missed that link. I guess I’d better make more coffee. ☕️
    Oh, sorry. I missed that link. I guess I’d better make more coffee. ☕️

HAha no worries, I have a cup of black tea waiting for me too!

Honestly more eyes we get on this issue the better. That being that AMD gpu's do not officially support The Sims 4 (their words) and warn players!
    edited January 2022
    Thanks, I guess I missed that link.

Yeah, that's not good. Not good at all. People are usually very bad at answering "me too" on reports on Answer HQ so I worry that this will not be taken care of until enough people will have issues with it.

But that's a heavy price to pay if you end up buying a new computer or upgrading from an old one.

I have been pretty vocal about Maxis decision of continuing to make packs for the sims4 for several more years. Because I think that for people that end up buying all packs, will eventually run into problems if they use lower end computers (or in this case, a graphics card from a manufacturer who don't seem very interested in spending resources for the sims4 at least not if EA doesn't contact them about it). I'm pretty sure that the issues with simulation lag, and lag when opening fridges etc. is because some people have older cpus or lower end cpus.

EA have to spend money on optimization and compability, and I'm not sure they feel that's a priority, especially if not enough people are reporting that they have problems.
    I posted links to both of your threads on Twitter. I don’t know if you have an account and have done it already but I figured it’s just another way to get the word out. 🙂
    EA have to spend money on optimization and compability, and I'm not sure they feel that's a priority, especially if not enough people are reporting that they have problems.

Well based on what my friend (who's been coding for nearly 20 years) told me this isn't an issue for Maxis to fix, but AMD since its on a hardware level, even if Maxis managed to patch it he claims it could create the glitch in prior AMD gpu's in game (aka reversing the problem from one current generation to prior generation).

More so by AMD not officially supporting The Sims 4 with their current GPU lineup, it actually could lead to more issues and long term complications for other Maxis titles if they use the same reflection coding methods.

edited January 2022
    I posted links to both of your threads on Twitter. I don’t know if you have an account and have done it already but I figured it’s just another way to get the word out. 🙂

I do and did, but we just re-activated our twitter account today (our twitter @HannaJamesPlay). So its a really small account with no followers yet or eyeballs on it lol. SO thank you so much for doing that!

Honestly anybody that could help warn other players or get AMD attention to support the Sims 4 is appreciated from their own social accounts!
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

Well based on what my friend (who's been coding for nearly 20 years) told me this isn't an issue for Maxis to fix, but AMD since its on a hardware level, even if Maxis managed to patch it he claims it could create the glitch in prior AMD gpu's in game (aka reversing the problem from one current generation to prior generation).

More so by AMD not officially supporting The Sims 4 with their current GPU lineup, it actually could lead to more issues and long term complications for other Maxis titles if they use the same reflection coding methods.

Yeah... and if not enough people will report it on answer hq, this is not going to be a higher priority for EA to contact AMD and get them to do something about it.

From what you are describing, if we are unlucky, nothing will happen until sims5 comes out.
    edited January 2022
    I thought I'd also show how it appears in the Sims 3, confirming new AMD GPU's aren't processing how Maxis is coding reflections into their Sim games (unlike previous AMD gpus):

mjuuC7g.jpg

Bc5oT0u.jpg

As you can see the all Sims games (and possibly future games) share the same issue with current AMD GPU lineup.

Be warned.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I find those screenshots to be rather hilarious...I mean, that's one crazy, crazy bug.

Good looking out warning people though, and despite laughing at how the reflections are showing what is behind the mirrors (that makes them WINDOWS, not mirrors...) I feel for your pain having this issue.

20 years ago I had an AMD card and it had issues with a popular game that I played at the time which needed them to fix in drivers to resolve, and they played the same song and dance back then as well. I have never owned an AMD GPU since then.

There are two companies on my permanent do-not-buy list. One is Hewlett-Packard, whose motherboards can (or at least could in the early aughts) be reliably expected to completely break the day after they go out of warranty, and the other is AMD, which has all the reliability and workmanship of an old Italian sports car with a flood title.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    This is awful that no one is fixing the issue for you! That must be very frustrating.

My seven-year-old laptop has an AMD Radeon R9 M370X that thankfully works well.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,372 Member
    Thank you for the heads up
    edited February 2022
    So after a bunch of searching we basically discovered the ISSUE. The Sims 4 is programmed on old directx9 libraries which newer AMD gpu's seem to have an issue with, for example lower frame rates in some games. In the case of the Sims 4, it cannot properly render mirrored reflections because newer AMD cards do not fully support all directx9 "features".

The answer for this came from an unlikely source, a linux DLL fix to run old directx games on new AMD cards called DXVK, that also happens to work with windows 10/11.

Basically the updated DLL libraries tells the AMD video card to render it by Vulkan-based translation layer for Direct3D 9/10/11, which indirectly created backwards compatibility with older games and new AMD gpus.

Except this only works if you download the DXVK and install its libraries for D9 into the Sims 4 bin folder.

Maxis and AMD won't officially do it, meaning there will never be an official fix for the game unless Maxis updates the code of the Sims 4 to directx12.

Thats the only way or using DXVK. So technically until Sims 4 is updated to Directx12, the AMD is right. Current GPU's are NOT compatible with Sims 4 because its written on unsupported directx9 libraries.

(fyi edited this post into my topic post too)
    Post edited by TOLKIEN on