Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am in a quandary whether to buy anything...need traits really

ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
I have spent the last couple of hours looking into details of stuff I don't have and now its driving me nuts.

All I really want is some new CAS items and traits for my sims. It seems excessive buying an expansion for a trait and a handful of CAS items.

I am tempted by the gameplay in eco-lifestyle (with a bit of modding) and the Maker trait looks cool. Proper trait sounds fun in Snowy Escape, but I can't see my sims snowboarding and climbing mountains. Cottage Living has some gardening stuff I quite fancy, but having lived in rural England for more than half a century, it seems a bit twee to me and I am not really interested in farming llamas. Do the rabbits and stuff appear in all worlds? That could tip me over the edge. I am also sort of attracted to Strangerville.

Of course the easy answer is to buy 'em all :) But that is what they want you to think!!! I would just do that, but its a tadge too pricey for me to do that.

I do really want to add something to my game and am, maybe, willing to buy two expansions or an expansion and a game pack/couple of stuff packs.

I am interested in knowing how anyone has got on with any of these new traits, in any of these packs? i am also interested if anyone has found any of these packs useful in general gameplay, perhaps in non-obvious ways?

Awake.
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one.
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity....
The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm a big fan of Cottage Living despite having grown up pretty much in that environment (though not English).

The addition of the lot trait that requires that my sims keep ingredients on hand is something I will use on practically every household I play, even if they aren't "farmers", because I have always found it awful silly that one could take nothing but money and turn it into a lovely salad, skipping the whole step of actually needing to buy ingredients.

As far as the rabbits and birds, I'm pretty sure they won't show up in any other worlds unless you take steps to cause it. Both of them are tied to objects that are placed through the world. By tied to I mean it's what makes them spawn....they do stray VERY far from them. I had rabbits showing up in my garden even though the nearest stump (where they live) was over halfway across the neighborhood.
    Once you make friends with them you can put these objects on your own lot from build/buy at which point you could then have them showing up in other Worlds.

Foxes, on the other hand, are tied to a lot challenge (which is set to on for most of the lots in the Cottage Living world). So for those, you could get them in any world just by turning on that lot challenge.

Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think all packs come with good traits, Eco Lifestyle have two traits which I think are kinda lame (Maker and Recycle Disciple) but I liked Freegan (Eco Lifestyle), Proper (Snowy Escape) and Lactose Intolerant (Cottage Living).

My favorite EP out of those three was Eco Lifestyle, I played a Rags to Riches sim with the freegan trait and I made a goal to try and make all my worlds green so I got a lot of hours out of that EP. Just make sure to disable NAP's because they can be very annoying.

I thought that Snowy Escape was too limited to it's own world. Most activities are restricted to that world. You will get lifestyles but I think they are a mixed bag. Some are fun, other lifestyles are more annoying.

Cottage Living is good if you have a lot of ideas on how you could farm and the animals are well made, rabbits and birds won't show up in other worlds unless you place down their homes. The world is...okay, the fair that happens every week is not exciting but there are missions that you can do instead.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    edited January 2022
    It's really quite sad that you have to buy more packs just to have 2 or 3 more traits, right?

Anyway, high maintenance sims are quite fun. It's from Spa day. Vegetarian (free) and Lactose intolerant (Cottage living) are also quite challenging to have because of the food choices. Anyway, most of the more interesting traits are in the base game anyway, like evil and mean and non-committal.

Take note that the sale will end on January 5 at 10 am PT (Steam) and January 11 (Origin but not so sure if it's on 11, just check it).
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    @Stormkeep That is interesting about the rabbits. I have just recently installed a spawner mod, so I can have fireflies in the garden at night. Some rabbits around would be nice (my sim households are basically all centred on the Widenburg Island) - have you noticed any performance hit from these extra critters? The lot trait sounds good as well. I am not sure how often I would use the world and the whole run errands and small village festival vibe thing makes me want to kill a kitten. I am normally not a deviant style player, but I suppose I could be tempted to disrupt 'Cosyville' :naughty: I did get some fun from the Windenburg pub The Shrieking Llama which is almost a dead ringer for a pub near me. Though, I also renamed it to The Slaughtered Lamb (one of my favourite scenes in any film to depict my home area).

@logion I think I might just take the plunge with Eco-Lifestyle. I liked the look of it as soon as it was announced, but I have read so many negative things about it, I have been put off - mostly to do with the NAPs I believe?. I quite liked the industrial vibe it has. I already have a fair amount of pretty things in the game. Looks like i could build a proper commune with that pack.

Yeah, Snowy Escape. I want the Proper trait and the lifestyles are tempting - I like having things added to the simology panel :) But, the rest of it would likely languish and never get used. So I think I will take a pass on that one.

@jpsulsuldagdag Indeed - sad indeed. Particularly when the traits are generic and could work in any part of the game. I get that thwre are traits that are special to a pack, but ones like Proper has no real connection to a Snowy Escape theme. Cynical sales tactics, IMO.

I do have Spa Day and I have always used it a lot and I made a high maintenance sim earlier today. Indeed, that is what triggered me to start looking - I need more traits!
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    I've not noticed any performance hit from rabbits, chickens, foxes and birds all being around at the same time. I sometimes have as many as 8-10 rabbits out playing in the yard of my current household as well as the 10-16 chickens being raised without noticing anything different performance wise. 8-10 rabbits is not something you'd normally even see at the same time, the current household just happened to make friends with every single rabbit in the neighborhood, so sometimes they all show up (especially when the garden has weeds to eat).

Honestly, the only time I really have noticed performance issues in my game is when the aurora effect from Eco Living, from being a green neighborhood, kicks in. That performance loss is pretty bad. Fortunately there's a mod to disable it and I'm now using it.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I've not noticed any performance hit from rabbits, chickens, foxes and birds all being around at the same time. I sometimes have as many as 8-10 rabbits out playing in the yard of my current household as well as the 10-16 chickens being raised without noticing anything different performance wise. 8-10 rabbits is not something you'd normally even see at the same time, the current household just happened to make friends with every single rabbit in the neighborhood, so sometimes they all show up (especially when the garden has weeds to eat).

Honestly, the only time I really have noticed performance issues in my game is when the aurora effect from Eco Living, from being a green neighborhood, kicks in. That performance loss is pretty bad. Fortunately there's a mod to disable it and I'm now using it.

Thank you for the response. I am pushing my game a bit by running it at full 4K (because it looks so good) and have upped the amount of sims allowed on a lot. As a result, I do get performance drops occasionally. Would you mind posting the name of the mod?

I have been looking more at CL and have bought Eco Lifestyle and that lot trait you mentioned would go nicely with that methinks (I agree with you as I like the idea of fresh ingredients being required). The gardening looks good as well. @logion has recommended I turn off NAPs, but i have made a save and am going to let em roll to see what happens. Can't call myself a 'proper gamer' if I can't defeat the NAP-Souls bosses.

I know what you folk may say - to really make the gardening good, you need Seasons - sigh.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think I might just take the plunge with Eco-Lifestyle. I liked the look of it as soon as it was announced, but I have read so many negative things about it, I have been put off - mostly to do with the NAPs I believe?. I quite liked the industrial vibe it has. I already have a fair amount of pretty things in the game. Looks like i could build a proper commune with that pack.

Yes, I think the negative parts was mostly from the NAPs, they are a bit crazy and unbalanced. You can disable NAP voting in the game settings and they won't show up in all worlds. If you have it enabled then it's annoying to remove them later because you have to do it with played sims that are living in the neighborhood, you can speed up that process with cheats.

I liked the industrial vibe in that pack too. It has a lot of nice build items.
    edited January 2022
    The mod to turn off the lag-inducing green eco-effect aurora is the top one at this site: https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/nachhaltig-leben-eco-lifestyle/

It has two flavors, one that turns it off and one that tones it down so it causes less lag, so if you do download it make sure you only use one of the two files that are in the zip file download.

As for NAPs, I personally haven't found them to be a problem in my game. Neighborhoods that don't have any played sims in them don't appear to pass any NAPs at all and those that do have played Sims in them, you get to vote to make sure only the ones you want go into effect (You can vote as many times as you want, as long as you have the influence for it).
    logion wrote: »
    I think I might just take the plunge with Eco-Lifestyle. I liked the look of it as soon as it was announced, but I have read so many negative things about it, I have been put off - mostly to do with the NAPs I believe?. I quite liked the industrial vibe it has. I already have a fair amount of pretty things in the game. Looks like i could build a proper commune with that pack.

Yes, I think the negative parts was mostly from the NAPs, they are a bit crazy and unbalanced. You can disable NAP voting in the game settings and they won't show up in all worlds. If you have it enabled then it's annoying to remove them later because you have to do it with played sims that are living in the neighborhood, you can speed up that process with cheats.

I liked the industrial vibe in that pack too. It has some nice build items.

You may have seen above I have bought it and am currently studying the new world and am umming and awwing about replacing the premades. I have taken a save point and I am going to let it roll just to see what happens. If it completely wrecks my save, I will roll it back. I think I may go with your rags to riches idea to learn the pack
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    Just a thanks peeps for the guidance.

I am really liking Eco Lifestyle (with NAPs enabled) and I want some rabbits and urban foxes in that world, so I have just bought Country Living. I can also enable the fresh ingredient lot trait.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Those two packs will give you a lot of trait options for your Sims as well as lot traits that are truly fun and interesting to play around with. Have fun!!
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Oh you bought both that's great! :smiley:

I edited the premades and it worked out okay. There are so many cute clothes in Country Living to choose from. As long as you don't move the working Sims into lots you should just be able to edit them. My favourite trait from all those packs is the Simple Living lot trait. The rabbits and foxes are really cute.

With Eco Living I disabled the NAPs, but mainly because I haven't spent time learning how they work. I think the main thing is you have to vote in time and repeal any ones you don't like. A lot of the NAPs look really fun and interesting. I mainly like all the new stuff you can make in that pack though like the candles and fizzy drinks.

Elliandre wrote: »

I edited the premades and it worked out okay. There are so many cute clothes in Country Living to choose from. As long as you don't move the working Sims into lots you should just be able to edit them. My favourite trait from all those packs is the Simple Living lot trait. The rabbits and foxes are really cute.

With Eco Living I disabled the NAPs, but mainly because I haven't spent time learning how they work. I think the main thing is you have to vote in time and repeal any ones you don't like. A lot of the NAPs look really fun and interesting. I mainly like all the new stuff you can make in that pack though like the candles and fizzy drinks.

Cheers :smiley:

I am still sat at the manage worlds screen deciding how I am going to approach this new pack. I am thinking I will leave the premades in place for the time being, so I think I will start to explore the pack with a new sim on the empty lot. Not quite sure what sim to create, but I feel I would like to upset the status quo a bit there in Cozyville :grin: Might use a freight container from Eco-Living as the starter home as it will so not fit in :naughty:

As for the NAPs. I seem to have got a grip on those. I have not installed these new packs into a new save, but installed them into my existing main save which I play rotationally, so fortunately, I have a high charsima sim in each neighbourhood and can generate a lot of influence and therefore can choose the NAPs I want by lots of rotating round sims on a weekend doing voting and persuading neighbours to vote my way. As an aside I have set the Neighborhood Confidante as the aspiration for those sims.

Yeah, I have already enabled that Simple Living on appropriate lots in my game. Not all though - some lots are going to be polluting monstrosties. I am actually thinking of playing the Landgrabbs for the first time ever and getting him to vote for high production, high polluting, high profit NAPs.

I did a short rags to richs to start off eco-living and now that off-grid lot is getting really good with a thriving home candle business.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    Just as a FYI, in case you do get in the renovation mood at all. For the Gnomes Arms, the bar in the town center, if you change the Lot Type to something else there are errands that cannot be completed because the "Pub Owner" has to be working the bar for those particular errands.

When I first used the pack I renovated the bar and changed it into a Restaurant. Though it still had a bar in it, the game brought in a different NPC to be the bartender rather than the Pub Owner. She went back to properly working the bar as soon as I changed the lot type back to Bar though.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Just as a FYI, in case you do get in the renovation mood at all. For the Gnomes Arms, the bar in the town center, if you change the Lot Type to something else there are errands that cannot be completed because the "Pub Owner" has to be working the bar for those particular errands.

When I first used the pack I renovated the bar and changed it into a Restaurant. Though it still had a bar in it, the game brought in a different NPC to be the bartender rather than the Pub Owner. She went back to properly working the bar as soon as I changed the lot type back to Bar though.

Cheers for the head's up. That's a decision made then. New sim and unoccupied lot and play the pack vanilla for the time being :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »

Cheers :smiley:

I am still sat at the manage worlds screen deciding how I am going to approach this new pack. I am thinking I will leave the premades in place for the time being, so I think I will start to explore the pack with a new sim on the empty lot. Not quite sure what sim to create, but I feel I would like to upset the status quo a bit there in Cozyville :grin: Might use a freight container from Eco-Living as the starter home as it will so not fit in :naughty:

As for the NAPs. I seem to have got a grip on those. I have not installed these new packs into a new save, but installed them into my existing main save which I play rotationally, so fortunately, I have a high charsima sim in each neighbourhood and can generate a lot of influence and therefore can choose the NAPs I want by lots of rotating round sims on a weekend doing voting and persuading neighbours to vote my way. As an aside I have set the Neighborhood Confidante as the aspiration for those sims.

Yeah, I have already enabled that Simple Living on appropriate lots in my game. Not all though - some lots are going to be polluting monstrosties. I am actually thinking of playing the Landgrabbs for the first time ever and getting him to vote for high production, high polluting, high profit NAPs.

I did a short rags to richs to start off eco-living and now that off-grid lot is getting really good with a thriving home candle business.

Your gameplay sounds great. The Landgrabbs would be excellent for high pollution business enterprises! :lol: I haven't tried the new Confidante aspirations yet. How did you make a freight container home? I would like to put one in Willow Creek for my poor Sim Broke family.

edited January 2022
    hehe - thank you :)

You need Eco-Living and then you build a room and then use the Panel to the Metal in misc wall coverings. Tiny Living helps a bit. As its just a room, you can actually make it as big as you like, tho.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • befchibefchi Posts: 23 Member
    If it's more traits you are looking for, I believe there is a mod that adds 100 new traits to the game? I personally don't have it installed but it may help with what you are looking for!
    befchi wrote: »
    If it's more traits you are looking for, I believe there is a mod that adds 100 new traits to the game? I personally don't have it installed but it may help with what you are looking for!

I have tried custom traits in the past and they can cause real problems on game updates, etc.

Zerbu created a visual custom trait maker and I played with that a fair amount as well, but they never seemed to work quite right or I didn't really understand what I was doing!

I think what triggered my post was that I was in the mood for creating some sims and when I came to look at the traits, my first thought was 'I am bored of these'.

Anyway, with 'em being stingy with the traits, I guess they won as I ended up dropping a fair amount of brass on some new content!
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    If you buy snowy escape there's a downside that you might not like. If you use the moods like focus, etc. to build skills, SE added a fine mood that lasts up to 4 hours and it overrides any other mood. The only way to override the 4 hour mood is do something else than what gave the 4 hour fine mood. For example if you got the 4 hour fine mood from painting, you need to read a skill book to get a 10 hour fine mood. Then you can surge your emotions and choose which mood you want your sim to have but if you go back to doing what gave you the 4 hour fine mood you'll lose the surged emotion and be back to the 4 hour fine mood.
    @DragonAge_300905 Ah, that is good to know. This fine moodlet affects all sims? Might be quite cool for certain sims, but, you are right, I certainly wouldn't want all my sims to be randomly affected by this

SE is on trial at the mo' and I am wondering whether to have a look at it. I have read up on it an have pretty much decided that that I won't use the world and the snow sports. I like the look of the CAS and build/buy, but the packs I have bought have given me quite a bit extra gameplay for now.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    @DragonAge_300905 Ah, that is good to know. This fine moodlet affects all sims? Might be quite cool for certain sims, but, you are right, I certainly wouldn't want all my sims to be randomly affected by this

SE is on trial at the mo' and I am wondering whether to have a look at it. I have read up on it an have pretty much decided that that I won't use the world and the snow sports. I like the look of the CAS and build/buy, but the packs I have bought have given me quite a bit extra gameplay for now.

It affects all sims. The things that I know affect the fine moodlet are painting, fishing, talking to plants (and sims?), and reading skill books.

So far cooking, handiness, logic, programing, knitting, gardening, fitness, casting spells or making potions, and cross stitch doesn't give a fine moodlet.

All my sims always have; cooking, handiness, gardening, logic, fitness, and programing. The logic, fitness, and programing are skills my sims use for the star wars and strangervill aspirations.

It's when I have my sims fish, paint, talk to their plants, or read skill books that the fine moodlet interferes with the focus emotion I use to increase the skill gains. I haven't tried giving my sims a lot of the skills sense getting SE.

I stopped making sims with the handy aspiration trait after EL because of the instant upgrade with the bio upgrades. I don't like the crickets and other bugs taking so much of my sims time to care for them.

The sim I'm playing now is trying to get the painting aspiration done and the fine moodlet is interfering with the inspired moodlet a lot.

I avoid talking to other sims because I can't control the comedy and mischief skills being forced on my sims. I don't want my sims to have those skills and they always tell a joke when having a conversation with another sim.

It affects all sims. The things that I know affect the fine moodlet are painting, fishing, talking to plants (and sims?), and reading skill books.

So far cooking, handiness, logic, programing, knitting, gardening, fitness, casting spells or making potions, and cross stitch doesn't give a fine moodlet.

All my sims always have; cooking, handiness, gardening, logic, fitness, and programing. The logic, fitness, and programing are skills my sims use for the star wars and strangervill aspirations.

It's when I have my sims fish, paint, talk to their plants, or read skill books that the fine moodlet interferes with the focus emotion I use to increase the skill gains. I haven't tried giving my sims a lot of the skills sense getting SE.

I stopped making sims with the handy aspiration trait after EL because of the instant upgrade with the bio upgrades. I don't like the crickets and other bugs taking so much of my sims time to care for them.

The sim I'm playing now is trying to get the painting aspiration done and the fine moodlet is interfering with the inspired moodlet a lot.

I avoid talking to other sims because I can't control the comedy and mischief skills being forced on my sims. I don't want my sims to have those skills and they always tell a joke when having a conversation with another sim.

Yeah, I am going to stay away from that then. I have got pretty good at mood control which I don't want disrupting. Sentiments are disrupting enough.

Thank's for the head's up.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    You're welcome.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited January 2022
    logion wrote: »
    I think all packs come with good traits, Eco Lifestyle have two traits which I think are kinda lame (Maker and Recycle Disciple) but I liked Freegan (Eco Lifestyle), Proper (Snowy Escape) and Lactose Intolerant (Cottage Living).

My favorite EP out of those three was Eco Lifestyle, I played a Rags to Riches sim with the freegan trait and I made a goal to try and make all my worlds green so I got a lot of hours out of that EP. Just make sure to disable NAP's because they can be very annoying.

I thought that Snowy Escape was too limited to it's own world. Most activities are restricted to that world. You will get lifestyles but I think they are a mixed bag. Some are fun, other lifestyles are more annoying.

Cottage Living is good if you have a lot of ideas on how you could farm and the animals are well made, rabbits and birds won't show up in other worlds unless you place down their homes. The world is...okay, the fair that happens every week is not exciting but there are missions that you can do instead.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/2abc32731d0ac69cbebae71ddd498b58/d513329f94b2760d-9d/s1280x1920/57b37d93a8fafda99dd3af08230f7cdccb326d63.png

I really enjoy the climbing skill and it was so sad for me that it could only be used outdoors in that specific world for Snowy Escape.

BakieGaming to the rescue!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRlH__QNaYw&list=PLj8ggE7ruc6CMFOwkaQQcLIbcRluAucGz&index=7

57b37d93a8fafda99dd3af08230f7cdccb326d63.png

02e8cc020cecc1043d2a8761eb1f024010988517.png

Now I build outdoor climbing areas on all the 64x64-lots and I am having so much fun.

Bit of a tangent here. Have a nice time, showing myself out now.