Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone wanting a more "Downtown" world/neighborhood?

Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
edited January 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
As much as I love how some of the worlds/neighborhoods are diverse, I feel like there is a lack of feeling like you're in a downtown area. I'd love skyscrapers and feeling like everything around you is just moving fast paced. San Myshuno almost gives this effect, but it also feels like you're separated from it all. I don't know if anyone else feels that way, but it doesn't exactly put you in the center of it all. Maybe I just want more of what San Myshuno has but just surrounded by more buildings.
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Comments

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I think San Myshuno has a decent amount of buildings, it's just that so many of them are only props. I'd like to see a real city experience, where one could walk down the block and have many businesses located side by side, and all of them playable
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Sims 3, Bridgeport (Late Night Expansion Pack) is excellent for that, because all the buildings are places you can go, and there is no loading screen when you leave your building: you just either walk, bike, or drive a car or motorcycle (or helicopter if you can afford one) to your destination and walk in the door, and downtown is full of clubs, bars, you can take the subway (that's a rabbithole though), and you can travel with your Sim, over bridges, down streets, to the riverside where you can fish or swim (depending on what packs you have I think) and it's all very immersive.

You can also get all of The Sims 3 til Jan 5th for I forget, maybe it was $65? on Steam, or on Origin each pack that is usually $20 or even more, is like $10 for now, but if you want a lot of or most of them you'll spend several times the $64 even doing it on sale, on Origin, compared to that incredible Steam deal.

With Sims 3 there are a bunch of NRAAS mods you have to run to keep the game maintained but there are super helpful people here as well as Youtube videos all about which mods those are, and what steps to do to keep the game running well.

In case you're interested. Sorry if that was too much detail but I know what you mean about wishing San Myshuno were a "real" city like Bridgeport. San Myshuno is great to look at and has a lot to offer, but most of it you can't really interact with.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I agree with @ignominiusrex that Sims 3 really did a nice job of giving that "downtown" feeling. Honestly TS3 did a better job across the board at making their "worlds" seem more immersive, I imagine because of the whole open world thing. I'm saying this as someone who actually plays TS4 far more than TS3; I have both installed. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Just mho.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I felt kind of bad talking sims 3 in a Sims 4 thread but I also started out with Sims 4 and only later discovered sims 3 and then my mind was pretty much blown, though I'll admit I come back to Sims 4 for the ease of building, and sometimes the gameplay if I want to find and re-install patch updates every time I play. Sims 4 has its charms too. But yeah..Bridgeport spoiled me to enjoying vicariously the city life I once enjoyed in real life but now miss.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I didn't play Sims 3, so I can't compare, but I recently watched a video where a girl remade a lot in san myshuno into an outdoor ice rink and it looked so perfect for a downtown feel I really want to try it. I would like to be able to customize more and have more downtown festivals, since I only usually go downtown during a festival. I love the city feel from inside the apartment though because you can look out the window and see the skyscrapers, but from the ground I definitely wish we could decorate the main neighborhoods to make them more urban. I hope we will get cars at some point
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,381 Member
    Sims 3, Bridgeport (Late Night Expansion Pack) is excellent for that, because all the buildings are places you can go, and there is no loading screen when you leave your building: you just either walk, bike, or drive a car or motorcycle (or helicopter if you can afford one) to your destination and walk in the door, and downtown is full of clubs, bars, you can take the subway (that's a rabbithole though), and you can travel with your Sim, over bridges, down streets, to the riverside where you can fish or swim (depending on what packs you have I think) and it's all very immersive.

You can also get all of The Sims 3 til Jan 5th for I forget, maybe it was $65? on Steam, or on Origin each pack that is usually $20 or even more, is like $10 for now, but if you want a lot of or most of them you'll spend several times the $64 even doing it on sale, on Origin, compared to that incredible Steam deal.

With Sims 3 there are a bunch of NRAAS mods you have to run to keep the game maintained but there are super helpful people here as well as Youtube videos all about which mods those are, and what steps to do to keep the game running well.

In case you're interested. Sorry if that was too much detail but I know what you mean about wishing San Myshuno were a "real" city like Bridgeport. San Myshuno is great to look at and has a lot to offer, but most of it you can't really interact with.

There is no loading screen in TS3 because most of the businesses are rabbit holes. It doesn't matter that you can hop to any lot on the map without a loading screen because, once you get there, you are stuck outside on the side walk any way. That's not gameplay. And the clubs and bars in TS3 are always either deserted of sims or just closing if not already closed so you can't enjoy them. And if you visit them in due time you get stuck in the elevator until closeout time anyway.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    And the clubs and bars in TS3 are always either deserted of sims or just closing if not already closed so you can't enjoy them. And if you visit them in due time you get stuck in the elevator until closeout time anyway.

That's not actually true if you are using the mods he explicitly mentioned.
    This isn't really the place to argue over the pros and cons of the two, quite different, games though.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,381 Member
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    As much as I love how some of the worlds/neighborhoods are diverse, I feel like there is a lack of feeling like you're in a downtown area. I'd love skyscrapers and feeling like everything around you is just moving fast paced. San Myshuno almost gives this effect, but it also feels like you're separated from it all. I don't know if anyone else feels that way, but it doesn't exactly put you in the center of it all. Maybe I just want more of what San Myshuno has but just surrounded by more buildings.

There is no center of it all in San Myshuno, especially if people create residential lots out of the few lots available. And some of those lots aren't naturally suitable to be business lots as they are located in apartment buildings. So yes, there isn't really a downtown experience to San Myshuno, mostly because there isn't really a downtown. I would love a new neighbourhood that looks like a downtown with lots of ground level lots, to create shops, restaurants, etc.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Actually this is something I wanted for a long time!! San myshuno didn't fill that gap. And all the apartments make it impossible to even customize the builds to look more city like surrounding the area. My dream would be a REAL hustling city/downtown world with a real beach.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited January 2022
    I'm all about country living (Cottage Living has my favorite world so far) and even I want a more downtown feeling world. I may prefer having my sims live in the country, but sometimes I want to play a city dweller or visit, and San Myshuno doesn't really fill that gap. It fills "a gap" but not that one.
    Hopefully we'll see at least a few more new Worlds before they leave TS4 to wither on the vine and a more authentic downtown feeling will be one of them. Honestly, it's one of the biggest gaps in the worlds we've had so far, so it would make the most sense.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Yes! I loved Bridgeport, and even Downtown in Sims 2.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2022
    I would like to see more cities in the game as well but I'm not sure how one would design it in the sims4. It must be pretty difficult to do cities in the sims because you can move the camera around so much. I suspect this is why San Myshuno is looking the way it does with a lot of open areas where you are either on top of the skyscrapers or they are far in the distance.

Maybe a round map could work, you have a couple of skyscrapers in the middle and the area around allows the player to move around and zoom out and see the whole map and the player could also move the camera between the skyscrapers.

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I want more of every type of world. I could use a downtown world, but I also want another world like Granite Falls, and another more suburban world like Willow Creek. I want it all!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    The first thing I’m going to do when Twisted Mexi’s CAW mod gets a public release (when he releases all the planned features for it) is expand on San Myshuno to make it feel like an actual city. I want seedy backstreets of the Spice District and Arts Quarter, glittering malls of the Fashion District and fancy restaurants and luxury spas in Uptown. Hopefully it is pretty easy to make new custom apartments as well. I’m kinda banking on that. I really don’t like the EA ones! I may even attempt building a train station as well - I think that would be fun!
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Do I want another downtown world in Sims 4 absolutely not a huge city with nothing to explore or do with empty shells all around like San Myshuno is not fun to me it feels so dead for a city and I don't use it. Had they put stores your Sims could go to in each neighborhood and other activities you would find in a city given you ability to take the subway or a taxi around town at best another world like this would give us festivals and really at this point they seem to toss this boring feature in one way or another.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2022
    I rather have the ability to create my own city from scratch and built for me as just about most stuff is static.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    This has been a disappointment for me since CL launched. Although I live in a small town, and prefer it, there are times when I visit a city, and I am close to a real first class one. Boston. Everywhere I walk there are shops of all kinds, restaurants large and small, parks of every size and description, historical sites to visit, theatres - both stage and cinema, music venues... the list goes on and on. Don't get me going on pre-hurricanes New Orleans, especially the French Quarter, or Honolulu, or British Hong Kong (loved that place - the Brits were wonderful and gracious hosts). By comparison, San Myshuno is a hollow shell, all window dressing but almost no substance, yet another example of missed opportunities

Going to a city should be full of hustle and bustle; things to see, do, and go to should be everywhere you turn; you should feel immersed in something much bigger than yourself and that is pulsating with life, a place with much to offer with many options to choose from. EA promised a lot when they introduced San Myshuno, but delivered little. A theme that unfortunately has many variations world by world.
  • Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    This has been a disappointment for me since CL launched. Although I live in a small town, and prefer it, there are times when I visit a city, and I am close to a real first class one. Boston. Everywhere I walk there are shops of all kinds, restaurants large and small, parks of every size and description, historical sites to visit, theatres - both stage and cinema, music venues... the list goes on and on. Don't get me going on pre-hurricanes New Orleans, especially the French Quarter, or Honolulu, or British Hong Kong (loved that place - the Brits were wonderful and gracious hosts). By comparison, San Myshuno is a hollow shell, all window dressing but almost no substance, yet another example of missed opportunities

Going to a city should be full of hustle and bustle; things to see, do, and go to should be everywhere you turn; you should feel immersed in something much bigger than yourself and that is pulsating with life, a place with much to offer with many options to choose from. EA promised a lot when they introduced San Myshuno, but delivered little. A theme that unfortunately has many variations world by world.

One thing I give to Sims 3 is the open world aspect. You're literally in world surrounded by buildings rather than feeling like it's just a background. Even when you had buildings you couldn't fully go into, rabbit holes fulfilled those desires quite a bit. Sitting outside at a bistro was nice because you'd be able to watch the cars go by and feel the world was alive.

I'm a sucker for rabbit holes and believe adding more would add so much more depth to the game. Imagine having an apartment that set sort of in the middle of the city "neighborhood" and you would have buildings all around it. These buildings would be of varying sizes, a park between them, and most of the buildings would be rabbit holes while the rest could be your average nightclub/bar/etc that you'd go through a loading screen. That way if you were at one of those buildings that require loading screens, you'd still have a park and a ton of other rabbit hole locations to utilize.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member

I'd argue the Sims 3 was the worst for that. Bridgeport is just a suburban community with tall buildings, hardly any any different from all the other worlds in The Sims 3.

The streets in Bridgeport were incredibly empty, and devoid of life. There is no hustle and bustle one would expect in a real city, no traffic either. People didn't walk past your lot. They just teleport into their magical slot cars that phase through each other and zip along to the next lot they are going to, teleport out and run inside, the open world mechanic didn't really do Bridgeport any favours - and this isn't just from the bugs/game performance angle, even from a theoretically perfect angle, it was still incompatible as the speed of time in game necessitated everyone rush into their teleporting slot cars just so sims could get anywhere in a reasonable time.