Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Famous or Cottage Living?

Hi,
I have done everything I can possibly think of in the base game and the packs I own, so I am looking for new content. I'm planning on buying a custom-made bundle. For the expansion pack, I am hesitating between Cottage Living and Get Famous. I would appreciate your opinion on these two packs. Which one would you recommend and why?
Thanks

Comments

• BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Get Famous is much less complicated than Cottage Living.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Cottage Living. The world is better in comparison to GF (only 11 lots). The gameplay is very replayable and challenging, but not in a tedious way.
    It all comes down to personal preferences though.
    Get famous has the best active career we got so far and tge fame system is pretty good too.
  • Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    I prefer cottage living and find myself using that more than i do get famous
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    My opinion..Cottage Living. It's at the top of my list if I were to rank the EP's in order of how much I like them. Meanwhile, Get Famous is literally at the very bottom.

For me, Cottage Living adds gameplay elements that I enjoy, which means I will make some use of it in practically every household that I play. Some of the biggest additions, like the ability to raise chickens, cows and Llamas are a huge favorite for me, but obviously not every sim I play will do that.

Changes to gardening, and the addition of oversized crops, however, will effect most of my households because I do gardening, to some degree or another, in most of them. Even if it's just to raise a few tomatoes on the apartment patio. And the addition of the Lot trait "Simple Living" which makes cooking require ingredients (as in you can't cook something without them) is something I WILL turn on in all households I play, because I personally thought the game should be that way by default. I want to require my sims to stock groceries.

The addition of Wild birds, rabbits and foxes are also cool, especially the birds and rabbits. It's just a cute addition to the game.

The new world is also incredible. Easily one of my favorite worlds in the game. The build/buy has some very charming things in it, and as "country boy" myself irl, those additions will get a lot of useage, because they are just the sort of things that appeal to me.

Get Famous, on the other hand, is all gameplay elements that I actually actively avoid unless I am playing a sim that I specifically want to make into a superstar. I have the entire fame system set to default to "off" for all new sims. I only toggle it on for the specific sim(s) that I want to make famous.
    I also find the random walkby's of famous NPC sims to be an annoyance more than anything, because they cause all the other sims (including the ones you control) to just randomly drop whatever they are doing to run over and gawk. I use a mod to insure there's not a lot of these famous NPC sims in my games.

The world for Get Famous is also pretty dismal, with very few lots and nothing particularly interesting. Again...I pretty much only visit it if I'm playing a sim that is a superstar, and occasional to visit a club or restaurant there. And the build/buy for Get Famous is just not as appealling, to me, as most any other EP. Lots of Glitz and Glamm...just not my thing.

So...yah, I have an opinion on which is better. I could disable Get Famous and go a long time without even missing any of it. Cottage Living, on the other hand, I would miss immediately. Sorry for this post going so long...I guess I have strong feelings on the topic.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    That's easy for me. Cottage Living is my favourite EP, whereas Get Famous is my least favourite. The reason for this is mainly due to my own personal play style though and not because Get Famous is bad. I just have little interest in the fame theme, although I have had some fun with it and the fame system is well done. However, Cottage Living is everything I love and I use it a lot more in my gameplay. I just love the world, CAS/BB items, cute animals, and cross-stitch skill, and of course Mrs. Crumplebottom. It wasn't the same without her.
    @annaliese39...somehow you said the same thing I wanted to say with so many less words. haha
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I really like both of the packs you mentioned. I think Get Famous has the bets gameplay of all packs, but Cottage Living is also fun! I personally prefer Get Famous, but both are good choices.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I think these packs are so different that its just down to playstyle. If you're more into casual/family type gameplay then Cottage Living, if you enjoy more aspirational single sim type gameplay then Get Famous
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    The game play for both is very different, but really fun. I own Get Famous, and recently purchased Cottage Living.
    With Get Famous, you can have the career to make your Sim into a celebrity, and some of the mini games for your Sim going into an acting gig is like Get to Work, and you can either follow the script, or go off of it. Your Sim also has to accomplish things further their career, and tend to start at the bottom.
    Cottage Living is kind of living off the grid, meaning you have to rely on mostly what you farm, and what animals you have. You can order your Sims food, but it is mostly living off the land. I haven't played it completely yet, but the world looks good, and the game play adds a new factor to the Sims.
    Both packs offer different game play, to me Get famous is pretty active with the tight schedule for your sim, and Cottage Living is more low key, but still a challenge, and fun if you want your Sims to live off the land around them.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited January 2022
    Well personally cottage living because Agnes Crumplebottom hanging around and hitting sims with her purse brings me so much joy and i quite prefer premades in Cottage Living to Get Famous...

but I do also quite love Judith Ward now that i paired her with vladdy...

...oh how could i ever choose between 2 queens its a forbidden love triangle

as for world/build/buy/cas it really depends do you prefer american bling/decades or british cottage/countryside

i do use quite heavy amounts of both actually so idk :sweat_smile:

activities... well again its a playstyle i guess do your sims desire fame,acting,parties and fancy things or do they prefer to live simple hang out with animals and do cross stitching and tend their gardens
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I like both but Cottage Living has the edge for me because it reminds me of cute little country villages and it just fits my play style more.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I would choose Cottage Living myself. I don't like the paparazzi that crash my gym lot lol, but I do like to make a lot of writer and painter Sims and so I love that they can become famous. But other than gaining fame and some gorgeous build objects, it doesn't offer as much to me personally as Cottage Living because cooking and gardening are so important in my game and I love being able to cook with ingredients and have farm animals. The new location is so cute and I love the build objects and country clothes. I love the little help errands you can do for the villagers. This is a hard choice because it's like choosing between a high pressure limelight career or simple country farming life and cooking food, sooo different haha
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Like others said, I think it really depends on your play style is.

If you like a bigger world cottage living is bigger and more rustic. I think a couple of the lots would be nice for spellcasters, and a new bar with some new foods. It also has places in a river where you can swim. It also has a few more lots than cottage living, a new embroidery skill, and a new canning skill, and some new crops along with chickens ( who can be used as meat or for eggs and breed to 8/coop), and a cow ( used for milk or meat ( who cannot reproduce, but has various milk l flavors ) and a llama who’s wool can be sheered ( non reproducible, And, would like bunnies and foxes and birds ( not pets ) in your game that can help with gardening and bring you gitts, and you would like a simple living challenge where you have to
    buy or grow the right food, to make dishes, then you would prefer cottage living. It comes with a couple of new sim traits.

If you would like a fancy house in the hills above a valley or a swankier town and celebrities with a walk of fame, celebrities of all variety’s, music, or many other jobs ( like a celebrity writer or doctor ( doctor if you have get to work ), that you can opt out of if you want, and you want an active acting career, with a few lower end houses in the valley along with a few in snob hill, and you like a couple lot traits ( hot spot, an up and coming ). And, You like some fancy furniture, and costumes, and a shark pond, then Get Famous Is for you. I’m a bit disappointed in the amount of lots in this pack.
  • d0ll_v0m1td0ll_v0m1t Posts: 23 Member
    Okay, I definitely had the same decision, I couldn't decide between cottage living and get famous. Luckily for me, there was a get famous trial. I tried it and it wasn't really what I expected. The acting job and stuff arn't exactly that interesting. There isn't a lot of build mode things that you can really use for the average house and there isn't a lot of clothes that arn't costumes.
    I have cottage living now and even though there isn't a new job with it, there's still lots of cool things like llamas and cows and chickens. You can also make your lot self sustainable or whatever and you then have to do things like milk your cow for milk or collect eggs. You can also learn cross stich and use your llama for that!
    I think you should totally go with cottage living because there's also lots of cool clothes and nice build mode things. It's also really fun going places to buy your things and planning what you need.
    It would be cool to have a famous sim though.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Cottage living can apparently give you an evil rooster that will take on the grim reaper so your sim won't die! Get famous makes celebrities insert themselves into your game in unexpected places like your date or birthday party and make other sims faint and act the fool. Celebs are annoying and once you've been one that's it, it's not interesting anymore. They also have a really annoying super slow prancy "im all that" walk.

I have get famous but not cottage living but now that I know about the evil rooster with glowing red eyes that can defeat Death on my behalf, I want cottage living.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    edited January 2022
    I have BOTH packs and I love them. I prefer the celebrity system of Sims 4 to Sims3. I have a young Global Superstar who became so in his Teens. I also use a mod so he can be my singer Sim, once again. After he and his siblings graduate from Uni, I have them all move to Henford-on-Bagley. Erik likes to farm a bit and his wife really loves their chickens. If you can only have one of these, now, decide what you want most to do in your game. Get the pack that suits that line of play. You can always go back and pick up the other pack at another time. Best of luck! Happy New Year, and Happy Simming!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Game and Expansion Packs are like Pokémon...eventually you gotta catch them all.
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    Get Famous is the best pack for CAS, Cottage Living has more gameplay though
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Get Famous is a delight. I love the fame system, and the acting career is one of my favourite parts of the game.

It depends what you want, as folk have said. Get Famous is colourful, energetic and extroverted. Cottage Living is pastoral, pleasant and quietly cute. Your heart will urge you towards one or the other. Follow it.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited January 2022
    Question is what other packs will you put into the bundle and how do you want them to compliment that potential EP? As others mentioned, it all depends on your personal play style.

I used to tell myself that Get Famous is my least favorite EP and so I could easily do without it. Having to deal with celebrities is not really my thing, I’m an adventure player.
    Then I figured that GF’s CAS and BB is perfect for my adventure play. I use (actor career) scene markers for swordplay locations and the stage props and fx machines really give my stories that extra dimension. I now consider Get Famous one of my favorite packs to date, but that’s got nothing to do with celebrities. It all depends on what you want to use it for. Do some further research, watch gameplay videos.
    In my case the entire celebrity system takes a backseat (even though it’s well implemented! ) and I’m extremely guilty of deleting just about every darn shimmering celebrity that crosses my sim’s path. I find them to be utterly 🤬🤬🤬.
    But If fame and acting is your thing however, this is the full-ish package.

When it comes to more challenging gameplay I’d definitely choose Cottage Living. In my opinion It’s an all round great, outdoorsy pack and it is shipped with a gorgeous world. I use CAS, BB, and Live mode systems equally. In fact I’m still exploring it. I never would have thought that I’d need birds and bunnies in my game as much I do now.
    Let me tell you, you need birds and bunnies. Go for it. 😂

• BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited January 2022
    Get famous for me. I don't like the animals in this game enough to care about a whole farm full of them. And I hate the decoration style of the western country, I vastly prefer the different cultural styles or modern styles. And the farm life is so very dirty and sweaty, for what you don't get anything to show for. I had more fun with the acting career, seeing your sim going from a bad actor to a superstar is hilarious.