Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sudden Crashing Issue?

Has anyone had a bunch of crashing issues lately? I can't figure out what's going on. Usually I'll get an error code or my screen will freeze which will eventually lead me to terminating the game. But lately, the game just "vanishes". I'll be in the middle of playing and then the next thing I know I'm staring at my desktop screen.
Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/

Comments

• stilleystilley Posts: 18 Member
    Yeah, I'm having the same issue. It seems to crash every time I use the phone to travel or plan an event. I don't know what's causing it.
  • cleo224cleo224 Posts: 87 Member
    Mine just randomly freezes and I have to close it out with ctrl alt del . It used to just crash and close itself. Past two days it has been freezing. And sims are getting stuck. Came home from the fair, and my sim was stuck on the kitchen counter and couldn't get down. Restaurants aren't working either.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Unfortunately I use a lot of mods, so I'm not sure if it's a mod problem or an actual game issue...
    O(≧▽≦)O

• stilleystilley Posts: 18 Member
    > @Missmagoo2 said:
    > Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Unfortunately I use a lot of mods, so I'm not sure if it's a mod problem or an actual game issue...

I 50/50'd my mods last night and it turns out that it was one hairstyle causing my issue. Figures. It was the (sheabuttyr) - braelynn braids that was causing my game to crash. Hopefully that's the CC that's also causing your issue.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Mine keeps crashing when I’m trying to save mid build. I just lost 2 hours of building 😭
    stilley wrote: »
    > @Missmagoo2 said:
    > Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Unfortunately I use a lot of mods, so I'm not sure if it's a mod problem or an actual game issue...

I 50/50'd my mods last night and it turns out that it was one hairstyle causing my issue. Figures. It was the (sheabuttyr) - braelynn braids that was causing my game to crash. Hopefully that's the CC that's also causing your issue.

I don't have that particular hair, but it could very well be a hair CC. I just don't have the patience to figure it out. The crashing doesn't happen often enough that I could pin-point a CC, I don't think. It just happens enough for me to get annoyed.
    O(≧▽≦)O

ddd994 wrote: »
    Mine keeps crashing when I’m trying to save mid build. I just lost 2 hours of building 😭

Oh no!!
    O(≧▽≦)O

• cleo224cleo224 Posts: 87 Member
    I don't have any mods at all, and my game has been "getting stuck" when a cooking menu pops up or when telling the dog to lie on his bed. Travel will cause it as well. Anytime a popup is required to choose the action. Farm animals are just freezing in their spot, if you shiftclick them and reset, they disappear to their shed/coop to sleep. Just very odd things have been happening that didn't happen before.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2022
    If it's not mod issues (and sometimes even if it is and you've removed the problem), it's always worth doing resetting your folder and doing a Game Repair: How-to's
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • letmeinpleaseletmeinplease Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having similar but different issues. I wanted to make my own post about it but I guess I'm too new of a member. My game will option but will glitch once I try to open the game options. Then it won't let me close unless I use task manager. It started after I downloaded some new CC, but not until I actually went into live mode. I had no issues during the character creations or while designing the house. I've tried repairing, reinstalling, restarting, removing the mods folder completely, attempted to remove the saves from the save folder. nothing works.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'm having similar but different issues. I wanted to make my own post about it but I guess I'm too new of a member. My game will option but will glitch once I try to open the game options. Then it won't let me close unless I use task manager. It started after I downloaded some new CC, but not until I actually went into live mode. I had no issues during the character creations or while designing the house. I've tried repairing, reinstalling, restarting, removing the mods folder completely, attempted to remove the saves from the save folder. nothing works.

I advise heading to Discord for support. I have links to support servers here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/995765/broken-updated-mods-cc-nov-30-2021-neighborhood-stories-patch
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Last night was the first time I had a sudden crash in CAS. So frustrating... I was just about to save a sim I had made and I lost it all. :s
    O(≧▽≦)O

• kiriviankirivian Posts: 1,074 Member
    Thank You. "Vanish" is the perfect word. One second I'm telling my sim to clean up an empty glass... the next second the game is gone and I'm staring at my desktop.

The worst part about this glitch or bug or whatever it is... is that it's totally random. It's happened on every kind of lot; tiny residential, residential, venues and vacation lots. It can happen no matter what my sims are doing or whether they are doing it alone or interacting with other sims. It happens to all types of occults including non-occults (obviously).

I have tried dozens of things to try and "recreate" this glitch, but to no avail. The "crash" seems to happen most often after many hours of gameplay (usually at least 5 or more hours), although it has happened in as little as two or three hours on at least a few occasions. I have never had it happen in a short session (less than two or three hours), and 90% or more of the time it's a long session. Also, it doesn't always happen. If I only play for a handful of hours it almost never happens, and sometimes I'll play for 8 or 10 hours and it never crashes, and I just shut down normally.

Because it doesn't happen by any "re-creatable" action I have tried triggering it by removing and/or playing with my mods and cc to see if I could identify a potential mod 'causing the problem. So I started a brand new folder and added only my actual mods - no cc either CAS or Objects, and I've played the new game for a couple of days with only the mods and it has eventually happened. So then I deleted the sims 4 folder and let the game create a new one and in the new one I added only CAS cc. I used the cc liberally and played for a few days and eventually the game had this weird "crash" again. Next I deleted that folder and had the game create a new sims 4 folder and this time I added only Object cc... and you guessed it... after playing like that for a while it happened again. So I am not convinced it's any one piece of cc or any one mod.

Also it may be noteworthy that although I do play rotationally, I rarely rotate in or out of a household in a single game session. To wit, during a play session I am not adding or removing a lot of cc. My sims are already created with all their CAS cc and their house is pretty much built and decorated. So the theory that some piece of cc one of them is wearing is causing it doesn't seem likely... because I've been playing the same sims with the same cc for like 5 hours or more before it happens - although at this point, I am totally open to ANY ideas about what may be 'causing this.

At one point, I thought it might have to do with scrolling around while the game wasn't paused, but I was unable to create a crash by testing this theory either. For example one of the tests I did to test this is, I left my sims soaking in the hot spring at the Onsen bath house unpaused in live mode and scrolled back and forth between the bath house and the top of the ski slopes, and then had my sims teleport between the two locations, naturally this wasn't the only test but just a sample of some of the stuff I've been doing to try and trigger this crash on my own. I am pretty frustrated by this so any ideas would be soooo welcome.

Finally, my current working theory is that it's not a game thing but an OS thing. Although I disengage my system's protections during gameplay, I do play in windowed mode and I am open to the idea that there may be some system feature that examines "open" windows that may be considered Idle for a long time and closes them. I don't know of any upkeep or protection app or software that does this, and I have researched it, but I am totally baffled by this one so I am appealing to the community for any ideas. Also I have never had this crash or spontaneous closing of any other game or window. So it's probably just another dumb idea. Either way, I am so grateful to know that I am not the only one out here experiencing this. so ..
    Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
    kirivian wrote: »
    Thank You. "Vanish" is the perfect word. One second I'm telling my sim to clean up an empty glass... the next second the game is gone and I'm staring at my desktop.

The worst part about this glitch or bug or whatever it is... is that it's totally random. It's happened on every kind of lot; tiny residential, residential, venues and vacation lots. It can happen no matter what my sims are doing or whether they are doing it alone or interacting with other sims. It happens to all types of occults including non-occults (obviously).

I have tried dozens of things to try and "recreate" this glitch, but to no avail. The "crash" seems to happen most often after many hours of gameplay (usually at least 5 or more hours), although it has happened in as little as two or three hours on at least a few occasions. I have never had it happen in a short session (less than two or three hours), and 90% or more of the time it's a long session. Also, it doesn't always happen. If I only play for a handful of hours it almost never happens, and sometimes I'll play for 8 or 10 hours and it never crashes, and I just shut down normally.

Because it doesn't happen by any "re-creatable" action I have tried triggering it by removing and/or playing with my mods and cc to see if I could identify a potential mod 'causing the problem. So I started a brand new folder and added only my actual mods - no cc either CAS or Objects, and I've played the new game for a couple of days with only the mods and it has eventually happened. So then I deleted the sims 4 folder and let the game create a new one and in the new one I added only CAS cc. I used the cc liberally and played for a few days and eventually the game had this weird "crash" again. Next I deleted that folder and had the game create a new sims 4 folder and this time I added only Object cc... and you guessed it... after playing like that for a while it happened again. So I am not convinced it's any one piece of cc or any one mod.

Also it may be noteworthy that although I do play rotationally, I rarely rotate in or out of a household in a single game session. To wit, during a play session I am not adding or removing a lot of cc. My sims are already created with all their CAS cc and their house is pretty much built and decorated. So the theory that some piece of cc one of them is wearing is causing it doesn't seem likely... because I've been playing the same sims with the same cc for like 5 hours or more before it happens - although at this point, I am totally open to ANY ideas about what may be 'causing this.

At one point, I thought it might have to do with scrolling around while the game wasn't paused, but I was unable to create a crash by testing this theory either. For example one of the tests I did to test this is, I left my sims soaking in the hot spring at the Onsen bath house unpaused in live mode and scrolled back and forth between the bath house and the top of the ski slopes, and then had my sims teleport between the two locations, naturally this wasn't the only test but just a sample of some of the stuff I've been doing to try and trigger this crash on my own. I am pretty frustrated by this so any ideas would be soooo welcome.

Finally, my current working theory is that it's not a game thing but an OS thing. Although I disengage my system's protections during gameplay, I do play in windowed mode and I am open to the idea that there may be some system feature that examines "open" windows that may be considered Idle for a long time and closes them. I don't know of any upkeep or protection app or software that does this, and I have researched it, but I am totally baffled by this one so I am appealing to the community for any ideas. Also I have never had this crash or spontaneous closing of any other game or window. So it's probably just another dumb idea. Either way, I am so grateful to know that I am not the only one out here experiencing this. so ..
    Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

It's honestly SO random. I wouldn't even know where to start with mods.
    I actually have had it happen playing less than an hour, I rarely play for more than a handful at a time these days.
    I just smash the save button and hope for the best. It's so annoying and disruptive. :s
    O(≧▽≦)O