Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will you still roleplay as the opposite sex in a TS5 MMO?

124...Next

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I won't play an MMO.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited January 2022
    Only in online dating sites is it deceitful and wrong to portray yourself as something you're not (or jobseeking sites etc) though. MMOs are chock full of people playing characters that in no way represent their own bodies, personalities, age, gender, or species. Everyone knows that, right?

It's not dishonest. It's a masquerade ball, no one should go, if they assume the Minotaur they meet there is actually a real Minotaur. What fun would a masquerade ball be, if women were told they could ONLY dress as women, and men could ONLY dress as men, and no one could be an animal, a robot, a structure, or anything joking, fun, or wild?

Same could be said about the Sims, none of my sims resemble me in the slightest.
  • safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't think I'd play a Sims MMO.

I also don't view my sims as extensions of myself or my values. I play sims of all genders and sexualities, I don't populate my worlds with only my race, and I frequently torment them or use them to torment other sims. I am not them, I am their puppet master.

However, I do role play in MMOs. I role play characters of other races and genders there too. The common link between my Sims play and my MMO play is that I like to tell stories and delve into lore. And that none of my characters are made to represent me.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    If Sims 5 is an MMO, then that will be end for me as I will just keep playing TS2, TS3 and TS4 as I already play an MMO game called World of Warcraft. Socializing in one game is enough for me even though I consider myself a lone wolf when I play WoW as I really don't group up with other players in the game like I used to years ago.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I wonder if the number of Sims fans put off by a Sims MMO would be offset by the number of MMO fans who wouldn't normally play the Sims but would come aboard for it. I still think it's an unlikely venture, but running it side-by-side with tS4 could bring in new audiences.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022
    I wonder if the number of Sims fans put off by a Sims MMO would be offset by the number of MMO fans who wouldn't normally play the Sims but would come aboard for it. I still think it's an unlikely venture, but running it side-by-side with tS4 could bring in new audiences.

I am pretty sure it would, but I suspect it would end up being no different to the many other reinventions of virtual life/space software from Second Life to PlayStation Home.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen tho'. Would fit in nicely with the whole Metaverse train and is nicely placed for unique clothing and build/buy items in-game that can be traded, courtesy of NFTs.

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    That sounds the most costly and electricity-intensive way of accruing garb, but I can see its appeal to those with too much money. I think I'll stick to CC and patreon.

I tend to enjoy both Sims and MMOs, however modern setting wouldn't work for a Sims MMO,

I am pretty sure it would, but I suspect it would end up being no different to the many other reinventions of virtual life/space software from Second Life to PlayStation Home.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen tho'. Would fit in nicely with the whole Metaverse train and is nicely placed for unique clothing and build/buy items in-game that can be traded, courtesy of NFTs.

NTFs are a huge dealbreaker among gamers, they're like kits they're not worth spending money on, I manage Sims 4 DLCs simply by budgeting and having high standards, I'm not going to buy every pack or buy 2 packs with the same theme like Island living or Eco Lifestyle, even then I'll choose Island living over Eco Lifestyle any day of the week simply because it has mermaids, while Eco Lifestyle doesn't have any Occults and isn't worth my time or money.
  • safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member

I doubt it. The Sims is a sandbox game that gives players an immense amount of control when it comes to engagement methods. Some players only ever build, some never turn on aging, some fill their worlds with supernatural fun, some play out long legacies, and some drown a sim a day. Trying to get eveyone in the same version of the game and engaging with it in the same way would strip away the freedom of play that makes the franchise so appealing.

Meanwhile, the most successful MMOs are themepark games with directed gameplay. They're built for goal-oriented players and the best provide robust combat, crafting, and exploration systems that involve a lot more than clicking on a bookcase and then waiting for a bar to fill up. They generally have huge maps strung together stories and quests that are very linear.

I like both, but I don't want one to become the other. They appeal in entirely different ways.

I doubt it. The Sims is a sandbox game that gives players an immense amount of control when it comes to engagement methods. Some players only ever build, some never turn on aging, some fill their worlds with supernatural fun, some play out long legacies, and some drown a sim a day. Trying to get eveyone in the same version of the game and engaging with it in the same way would strip away the freedom of play that makes the franchise so appealing.

Meanwhile, the most successful MMOs are themepark games with directed gameplay. They're built for goal-oriented players and the best provide robust combat, crafting, and exploration systems that involve a lot more than clicking on a bookcase and then waiting for a bar to fill up. They generally have huge maps strung together stories and quests that are very linear.

I like both, but I don't want one to become the other. They appeal in entirely different ways.
    Exactly other simmers playstyles don't really mesh well together, imagine killing a sim only to find out that someone else was planning on using that sim for their legacy, then there's us with our supernatural fun involving Werewolves and Vampires and meeting simmers who want nothing to do with supernatural sims, It's like going to a club and half the patrons, don't want you there because you're different from them.,we haven't even covered the Altoholics who constantly have multiple saves and multiple sims.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I wouldn't play unless it was like Minecraft where I could comfortably ignore the "multiplayer" aspect of it. I have a host of MMOs that did it better to choose from if I so desire a social game. Usually with a lot more blood. WoW, ESO, Worm, EQ2, etc. Or there's always Second Life. However, I always choose a female in those games, because I am one - though I do not RP unless under very strict circumstances. The only MMO I play males in is Black Desert Online, due to the gender locking of certain classes. My toons are all outside myself though, they are their own people, just like my sims - I'm their Creator, their Goddess, they aren't me.
  • Jackiester626Jackiester626 Posts: 5 New Member
    It would have to be something really special for me to play. I would be nearly as invested in an MMO. I'm too invested in the stories of my sims. While I don't mind some input, I wouldn't want random people potentially destroying what I've worked on.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    It's difficult for me to answer this question other than to say I won't play a Sims MMO. I don't like MMOs, they don't fit my game style. All of the games I play are single player (Sims, Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo), or I only use the single player option for games that have a multiplayer option (Civ, Crusader Kings). My games are for my own personal enjoyment & creativity, not something I do to socialize with others. It would be like having others come in and paint on my canvas while I'm painting a picture.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    It's an interesting question. I don't see the Sim I am controlling as "me". I see them as something akin to an action figure (I suppose that's a decent analogy). Because you can jump from Sim to Sim in a family, I see myself more of a story teller than any one individual Sim. That's why I don't really care about the gender of the Sim I'm controlling.
    People who treat the Sims with disdain sometimes refer to it as a dollhouse simulator. There's a grain of truth in that.
  • ImDragoneImDragone Posts: 76 Member
    If it's an MMO, I will celebrate! :D
    The MMO field of gaming has died off, and I've wanted Sims as a realtime MMORPG since before Sims Online ever was thought of. I want to be able to make, and keep friends in Sims.
    There's nowhere to make and keep friends online anymore. And, COVID19 has people too isolated to do so in person.
    People are becoming antisocial.
    We need EA to help bring back socializing, and having communities. Make us civilized again.
    ImDragone wrote: »
    If it's an MMO, I will celebrate! :D
    The MMO field of gaming has died off, and I've wanted Sims as a realtime MMORPG since before Sims Online ever was thought of. I want to be able to make, and keep friends in Sims.
    There's nowhere to make and keep friends online anymore. And, COVID19 has people too isolated to do so in person.
    People are becoming antisocial.
    We need EA to help bring back socializing, and having communities. Make us civilized again.
    Covid didn't affect me, I was antisocial way before Covid hit.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Most likely but I'll probably play more as female Sims but if I have a male character that I need to play then ok.