Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will you still roleplay as the opposite sex in a TS5 MMO?

Comments

• Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    Like others said I wouldn't play a Sims MMO. But in MMO's I usually don't play opposite sex. I might be wrong but I think it's more a male thing. I never met a woman playing a male avatar in a MMO.

That you know of (^_~)
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    No for me. I’m not interesting playing MMO if EA go forward to make the sims 5 into online only. I always want to escape from people in the sims 1-4.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I think the question lacks understanding.To me a sim memo would not be a sims games.It would be like all the other online role play games.Which would make me not play it.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    The sims in my game are fictional characters in a story, not avatars of real people. I am the narrator in the story, not the protagonist.

If the sims 5 is going to be a MMO where I have to play a version of myself, I will stick with Sims 4 or even go back to Sims 2 and 3 if I get bored with 4.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    Like others have said, I wouldn't play TS5 if it were an MMO. I'm not even sure I'll move on to it if it isn't.

I don't mind interacting with people here on the forums and on the Gallery but that's all. I don't mind sharing what I'm doing in my game, or reading about others' gameplay. When I'm playing my game, I don't want to have to interact with anyone else. Just my sims and me.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Sims 5 might not be MMO material, but a Sims MMO could be set in the same universe as Sims Medieval, MMO are usually set in medieval fantasy settings and Professions in Medieval were pretty much classes, Like Wizard, Priest (Healer), Bard, Spymaster (Rogue), Knight (Fighter), Pirates are basically Rogues as well, you even pick what place you Sims could be from like Effenmont homeland of the Elves.
    edited January 2022
    Like others said I wouldn't play a Sims MMO. But in MMO's I usually don't play opposite sex. I might be wrong but I think it's more a male thing. I never met a woman playing a male avatar in a MMO.

That you know of (^_~)

It's usually a male thing but women playing as the opposite sex is not unheard of, they tend do it for different reasons than males, some Guys do it for perverted reasons while other males do it to get free items from fellow male players (simps), Women who play as male characters do it because they don't want all the attention or being treated differently simply because they're a girl, Personally I only do it if there's a benefit to it like faster movement speed, or extra defense, or if a class is genderlocked or if the lore is interesting like having a matriarchal society of immortal ageless women who are also warriors, sure it may sound rude and pragmatic, but I don't care what sex I play as long as there's a benefit to it.
  • Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member

@temporalgod
    Yeah I get why many females would play male characters to avoid certain attention online. Personally I play as males because I like male characters, the exception being if I don't like the voice acting (plus even on online games, I keep to myself so character gender doesn't really matter).

Come to think of it now, I think I actually started playing males more because I hated the outfits female characters often had (looking at Capcom as a main source here) Monster Hunter - male gets full armour, female? ....missing several pieces, lots of skin on display (--_--)
    I hated that, so I think that's what started me off on male characters, and then I just preferred it.

If the story of a game is good, and the voice acting the same level - I don't really care about the gender of the player character. Just when given the option I do have a preference lol
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    When I play Sims, I play as a omnipotent god -- sometimes benevolent, sometimes not -- controlling the lives of little simulations in the universe I've stuck them in. Ya know. I play in a way that is completely incompatible with an MMO.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Sims 5 might not be MMO material, but a Sims MMO could be set in the same universe as Sims Medieval, MMO are usually set in medieval fantasy settings and Professions in Medieval were pretty much classes, Like Wizard, Priest (Healer), Bard, Spymaster (Rogue), Knight (Fighter), Pirates are basically Rogues as well, you even pick what place you Sims could be from like Effenmont homeland of the Elves.

That makes a little more sense to me, but I still don't think it would be appealing for me. Part of what I loved (really, still love) most about Sims Medieval was building up the world around me, adding buildings, etc. I don't see how an MMO would afford you that level of sandbox experience. I suppose they could give each player an instanced town or kingdom to build up, which could be fun, but frankly, I don't see them putting that level of time and effort into it.

If it's otherwise just some generic medieval fantasy game, without that level of worldbuilding... well, I also don't see them coming up with the kind of depth for the lore that would make it worthwhile. I'm picturing something with a more dated/cartoonish art style similar to WoW, but with less lore and a much smaller world, yet still marketed at a premium price. I just don't know what the hook would be, for me.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    The thing is that usually, I won't mind playing as a girl. I have created a lot of custom characters, why not play with them? It's great to have some difference every time I play. However, if the game involves romance with other players (which I'm uncomfortable with, thus I deserve 'Unflirty' trait), I just wouldn't dare playing as a girl.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I play MMOs, and I play both sexes/genders. I am not sure if I want to ever see a Sims MMO, though… Wouldn’t that just become a dating site? Or worse, something with restrictions on gameplay and forced storylines? (Because that’s what the MMOs I play are like. They don’t provide much control beyond a bit of character cosmetics, and even those are waaaaaaaaaay more limited than Sims 4.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • GothicKing13GothicKing13 Posts: 47 Member
    I enjoy multiplayer games, and I enjoy my singleplayer games. The Sims is one of my singleplayer games. If that changes with The Sims 5, then The Sims will no longer be one of my games at all. I refuse to play an online only Sims game. I enjoy the Sims, because it's a game where I am by myself free to enjoy my game how I like without restrictions.
    With every deed, you are sowing a seed... though, the harvest you may not see
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Sims 5 might not be MMO material, but a Sims MMO could be set in the same universe as Sims Medieval, MMO are usually set in medieval fantasy settings ...
    That seems like a reason not to make a Sims MMO Medieval. It'd be just like all the others! Once you make it single character and historical, it has very little in common with The Sims.
  • befchibefchi Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2022
    Personally, as someone who identifies as non-binary I probably won't feel extremely comfortable creating myself in the game unless TS5 is more inclusive of LGBTQ+ identities and I can recreate my identity in it (obviously the sims franchise is getting better at doing this and I am excited to see how this develops through future TS4 updates and into TS5). I am also not interested in MMO's so unless the MMO feature wasn't too intrusive I wouldn't really play it, I am also not that interested in roleplay. In my current TS4 saves I try to explore a range of identities and I feel this is sufficient for my gameplay.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    Like most of the commenters, I wouldn't play Sims 5.

I don't play MMO's and I wouldn't start if Sims was one. Also, like Felicity said, I'm basically their god, I'm not roll playing as them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member

That you know of (^_~)

It's usually a male thing but women playing as the opposite sex is not unheard of, they tend do it for different reasons than males, some Guys do it for perverted reasons while other males do it to get free items from fellow male players (simps), Women who play as male characters do it because they don't want all the attention or being treated differently simply because they're a girl, Personally I only do it if there's a benefit to it like faster movement speed, or extra defense, or if a class is genderlocked or if the lore is interesting like having a matriarchal society of immortal ageless women who are also warriors, sure it may sound rude and pragmatic, but I don't care what sex I play as long as there's a benefit to it.

Excuse me, but what reasons are these that you are calling perverted?
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2022
    No, I would not try and be romantic at all, for the same reason why very few people do romantic things in MMOs or when playing games with other people online. It's awkward and makes people uncomfortable.

One reason why the sims5 should not be an MMO.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Not remotely interested in a Sims MMO game.

I have played a couple of MMOs and still dip in and out occasionally. My most played MMO was/is EVE Online and FF14 which I joined when they re-released it.

Its a tradition of mine to use D&D dice to make decisions when creating my characters and I have a bit of weakness for alts (in EVE especially), so I have played most genders, races, etc offered by these games at some point :)

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    edited January 2022

That you know of (^_~)

the whole butt staring excuse, that some guys tend use when playing female characters, I don't get it, even when I play male characters in 3rd person games I don't focus my all attention on my character's butt, I'm too busy looking at the mini map or at my enemies.

That you know of (^_~)

the whole butt staring excuse, that some guys tend use when playing female characters, I don't get it, even when I play male characters in 3rd person games I don't focus my all attention on my character's butt, I'm too busy looking at the mini map or at my enemies.

This is interesting to me because of things I've learned in the past year or so, about how different I am from my best friend, and also seeing discussions on the Sims forum about how different people play different ways, and some always play "as" their Sim, some never do, but just see it as using game pieces or writing plays or scripts so of course they aren't expressing themselves, they are expressing other people. There's so much variety in people's motivations toward gameplay with pixel people, both here and in MMOs.

My best friend is straight, very shy, has barely had any relationships, and the opposite of a womanizer, and used to get presumed gay just because he doesn't chase women. I'm not straight but have also had women catch my eye and interest, but only if they were my personal "10" whereas with men, of course I'd notice a 10 too, but I also notice more ordinary levels of attractiveness.

Anyway the point of that was, I can't imagine what it must be like, to feel repulsed by looking at other men, whereas that's normal for him and, apparently, it's not that rare in straight guys? Any straight guys out there want to weigh in on your own experience, I'd sure like to know.

I felt compelled to share this because my friend is interested in/attracted to women exclusively, and plays female characters preferentially if it's a game where he'll be looking at them, but will play male characters if he's primarily looking through their POV.

For him, the "butt staring" isn't an excuse to ogle, it's just that, according to him, he actively dislikes looking at male butts, and the character isn't a projection of himself so it being a woman, is not only easier on his eyes, it doesn't disturb his sense of expressing his own gender, because in those games, he's not doing that but he does tend to do that in 1st person games, in which he'll play male characters.

If a guy played a female character in order to get eye candy, I don't see that as perverted either, but I can only imagine it would make it harder to concentrate on the gameplay.

Wondering what others' thoughts and experiences are on this, and hoping we all keep it civil enough that the thread doesn't get shut down, because this is fascinating!
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    I wouldn't play a Sims MMO, so it's not something I'm concerned about. Given I tend to mix it up in actual MMOs as to what I push around, however, I'd say it wouldn't actually bother me. People are people, and give or take a few bits and bobs, generally are after the same things, so any differences in characters I punt about are usually surface only for me.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I won‘t play a TS5 MMO. That being said I wouldn’t use the world roleplay. I’m just controlling little pixels. Some of the pixels happen to resemble women, men, and dogs.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I never thought about it before. I play both genders singly or families. I don't think I have ever played with romantic same sex characters. Just doesn't interest me. I might would play an mmo Sims 5 if I like what I see and continue playing 3 and 4. Like one simmer said, I don't feel it would be fair of me to portray in a game like that, that I am someone I'm not. Also, in a game like that, I might concentrate on other things besides romance or wait to play romances in a single player game.
    Only in online dating sites is it deceitful and wrong to portray yourself as something you're not (or jobseeking sites etc) though. MMOs are chock full of people playing characters that in no way represent their own bodies, personalities, age, gender, or species. Everyone knows that, right?

It's not dishonest. It's a masquerade ball, no one should go, if they assume the Minotaur they meet there is actually a real Minotaur. What fun would a masquerade ball be, if women were told they could ONLY dress as women, and men could ONLY dress as men, and no one could be an animal, a robot, a structure, or anything joking, fun, or wild?

```
    wonderfullymade.jpg