Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will you still roleplay as the opposite sex in a TS5 MMO?

Comments

• BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Is this a hypothetical thing, or have they announced that TS5 will be something where you just have one character? That'd really makes it unlike The Sims, to the extent that it wants a different title.

In answer to the question, there is no opposite.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    Is this a hypothetical thing, or have they announced that TS5 will be something where you just have one character? That'd really makes it unlike The Sims, to the extent that it wants a different title.

What we know so far. Says multiplayer online not co-op and bringing back Sims Online like game with chat features.

https://happymag.tv/the-sims-5/
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I have played 2 games online in the past RuneScape and Animal crossing, oh, and call of duty with my daughter ( do you choose a sex on call of duty? I can’t remember ). Anyway in RuneScape and Animal crossing I always played my own sex online, and I played the games with my kids, in fact, they got me into playing them. They got me into the sims too.

The only benefit I can see in playing the sims online would be to play with my kids and their significant others. I have one daughter that is a real simmer like me ( she plays on PlayStation, I on PC ), but could likely draw my other one in on an online game as well. However, I truthfully prefer playing the sims as a solo game. If I wanted it to be a social game I would play second life, or go back to RuneScape.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I just won't play Sims5 in this case. Not interested in online avatar game. I want my life simulator.
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 715 Member
    I wouldn't play a Sims MMO in the first place. Playing only one sim has very rarely ever been entertaining for me and even then only briefly. Hypothetically though, if Sims 5 was an MMO and I did play it...sure? I don't particularly care- heck, thinking of it now, maybe if Sims 5 is an MMO and I get it I'll recreate Vlad and play as him. That could be interesting.

Personally, I'm fine if Sims 5 has an online option, but even then an MMO seems off. I've wished for a way to play sims multiplayer for years, but in the context that it's optional and only with people you invite, so my mom and my sister could play in the same save as me. I wouldn't want to play with strangers, and I certainly wouldn't want to be limited to one sim. The biggest gripe I had with Sims Medieval was that you couldn't play the children, and it'd be the same way in an MMO.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • WolfnightsingerWolfnightsinger Posts: 22 Member
    I wouldn't care one way or the other, since I play male and female characters in various games. But in this case, as others have said, it's a non-issue for me, because I won't play a Sims MMO.
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    It’s not an issue of the characters gender. It’s just that I wouldn’t play a MMO sims.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Who cares about the avatar's sex when there will be options for vampires, elves, magicians, furry creatures and what not? Just taking a look at the gallery one can see the kind of avatars that will roam a possible TS5 MMO, and some will not be pretty or handsome in a traditional way. Anyway, I don't think a sims MMO will happen as that means a lot of underage players will be excluded and we know EA wants to cater to the youngest players as well.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I'm surprised at the virtue-signaling around playing a character that matches your real body because almost no one does that in any online game, whether MMO or other. People play elves, fairies, mechs, huge buff dudes and curvy women and none of it is them are they really are so why is that bad? Only really inexperienced or immature players go around asking others if they're "really" a chick or dude and they generally get the answers they deserve. Someone could also be dancing with you in a VR club, but really be paraplegic for all you know, but you'd never ask for proof that they can dance in real life, and it's not being deceptive, it's about having a good time in fantasy.

While I'd be interested to see whether a MMO Sims5 would just be a dumpster fire, the argument that they shouldn't do it because it would "just" be another Roblox makes little sense to me, given how popular Roblox remains, despite the inherent challenges. Being another Roblox is hardly a deterrent.

I'd love to play Sims in VR but would want the choice of a solo game with my own Sims and the worlds and venues and NPCs just like the game is now, but with the wonders of VR.

Being able to invite another player into one of my saves would be great, as would a general open MMO world where you can go, dance with all kinds of people in a club, play pool with others like you can in Rec Room, watch a movie with others like you can already, and woohooty talk too if you want to, maybe go to a private room and lock the door if you want to do Woohoo with pixelation and all.

But it would stink to have it only be MMO, and no more saves of my own, sims and families of my own without intrusion of uninvited players.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I wouldn't buy a sims MMO. I'll just stick with the sims 2, 3, and 4 if that's the case.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Bold of you to assume I would play an MMO.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I picked 'other'. I don't roleplay as my sims, I watch over their lives.
    Regardless, I wont be playing Sims as an online experience like an MMO. No thanks.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I don’t like MMOs at all, but if I were to play, I would probably prefer to play as the opposite gender.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Sims 5 mmo wouldn't be for me so I don't think I would be playing.
    giphy.gif

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    If Sims5 is an MMO as others have speculated, I will not bothered by EA's decision one bit if it decides to take the Sims franchise in that direction. After Sims4 ends I have no interest in going through another round of waiting for new packs, new content, and bugs taking up residence in my game. The Sims has always been my private game, one I don't care to share with anyone. And Sims4 was disappointing, had flat content that failed to build upon what came before it, lacked depth and real challenge, and became more about aesthetics than gameplay. Heck, it is so unstable, I'm afraid to update or add any new kit or pack at this point. Sims4 should have been phased out over a year ago, in my opinion. And if COVID had not hit us in 2020 I believe it would have been. Right now, it feels as if Sims4 is limping along while being held together with duct tape and hope. If I feel this way about Sims4 now, how am I supposed to muster up any excitement for a Sims5. I can't. I just can't. If I want to play an MMO, I have several others to choose from that are better suited to my style of playing.
  • ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 277 Member
    Probably won't play 5. MMO games aren't my thing.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    I just won't play Sims5 in this case. Not interested in online avatar game. I want my life simulator.

This, and Sims is my escape from the real world 🌎. When I play it’s because I’m fed up with interacting with the real world and want to be in my own, unbothered by the needs and wants of other irl beings. It’s where I close myself off and have things exactly as I want them without giving a fig what anyone else thinks.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    It occurs to me, this'd be so different from The Sims that they'd probably keep The Sims 4 going and expanding concurrently.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member

Scobre wrote: »

What we know so far. Says multiplayer online not co-op and bringing back Sims Online like game with chat features.

https://happymag.tv/the-sims-5/

I seriously hope there is no chat feature. I hate typing when I play games. Words never comes out right, it breaks the flow of the game, and it would be even more awkward to play the opposite sex. I hope they keep it simple with no chat features.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    *I have zero interest in a TS5 MMO, and will absolutely not be purchasing it, ever, if that's what it turns out to be.

*I do play other MMOs.

*I am a cis woman in real life, and most of my alts are also women. But I have a few alts that are male, because there's a particular story I want to tell.

*As it happens, I haven't ended up playing the male alts very much, for various reasons, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or dishonest with having alts of whatever gender you choose, and I would never judge anyone else for doing so. Games are for enjoyment, and people should play how they want to play. As others have said, you can be a robot, a giant panda, a talking cat, or any number of other things in various games. It's all make believe, that's the whole point.

*I do not generally RP in MMOs, aside from having my own head canon/backstory for most of my alts.

*I never interact romantically with other players in those MMOs, regardless of whether they are strangers or I know them IRL. That's outside the agreed parameters of my relationship, and not something that interests me, anyway.

*If other people choose to interact romantically with strangers online, the burden is on them, if they are an adult, to take stringent precautions to insure that they are only interacting with other adults, and if they can't be sure, just don't do it. The burden is also on them to make sure that if any other factor is a deal breaker for them personally, to ask.

*To bring it back to my first point, I have been harassed as a female player in every MMO I've ever played over the last couple of decades, though to be fair, it has varied a lot from game to game (WoW was always terrible, pervasive, and graphic/explicit; in ESO it has been extremely rare, but it does happen.) It's very much unwanted and a big part of why I don't want to have it anywhere near my Sims experience. I also haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but it is one reason that some women I know choose to play as male characters, to avoid that harassment.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    I don't care what my sim is, I tend experiment, either way I end up with hot sims, monstrosities, androgynous sims and I've even gotten on the furry scale of things a couple times, my primates just need body hair and tails.
  • ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    Won't be playing Sims 5 if it is ANY sort of MMO. End. Of. Discussion.
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I'm not really into MMO, so if Sims 5 is exclusively an MMO with no offline single player mode, I'm not buying it, period. And I really only RP with people I've known for awhile and even then, it's non-romantic most times.

• MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    Like others said I wouldn't play a Sims MMO. But in MMO's I usually don't play opposite sex. I might be wrong but I think it's more a male thing. I never met a woman playing a male avatar in a MMO.
  • Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    Online sims game? wouldn't be interested in it, like making my own little worlds. So I wouldn't be playing Sims 5 if this is the case.

As for playing as the opposite sex, I do that 9 times out of 10. Only time I tend to play female is if I don't like the male voice for the character.