Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"What should we call this?"...the making of a Sims story

Comments

• MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited April 2022
    27. Just perfect
    ZCrUuG4.png
    Cameron had Tuesday off, so that was the day he picked for his date with Angie. That worked for her, too; she had to work that morning, but she would be free by mid-afternoon. Now, all Cam had to worry about was the unpredictable Brindleton weather. A rainy day would make a walk on the beach less appealing.

But Cameron awoke that morning to a brilliant sky. Everything was going as planned.

After breakfast, he strolled outside to enjoy the sunshine in Sable Square. He talked to Duncan Edwards and Ryan Bellamy, two of the Brindletonians he’d gotten to know. Both Dunc and Ryan were married men, and both had young children. Both were usually quiet. Today, though, they were in the mood to talk, and so was Cameron.
    OfI0ARu.png
    Cameron later admitted he’d been nervous about his date from the moment he awakened. “I’m glad I ran into Ryan and Duncan. Hanging out with them got me thinking about other things, and that helped me relax.”

The two guys went on their way, and Cameron decided to walk around his neighborhood. It was far too nice to stay outside. He hadn’t walked far before he saw a woman he’d never met. She was looking at her phone with a look of bewilderment on her face.

Cam approached her with a smile. “May I help you?” he asked.
    She smiled back. “Oh, hello. I’m new in the neighborhood. I’m sure you couldn’t tell that, could you?” She laughed softly, and Cameron laughed too.
    J0etrpq.png
    “Of course not. If I had to guess, I’d say you were born here. I’m Cameron Ross. I live just over there.” He pointed in the direction of his grandparents’ house.
    “Hi, Cameron. I’m Mary Kate Sims. My family and I just moved here. We’re living at Cavalier Cove.”

Mary Kate was talkative and engaging, and Cameron and she hit it off immediately. He learned her husband’s name was Graham, and they had a teenage daughter, Zoe. Both Mary Kate and Graham were teachers. Zoe would be going to Buckingham High with Halle and Patrick.

By the time Cam finished his conversation with Mary Kate, it was well past noon. Cam had just enough time for a workout and a shower before his date. He decided to visit the Willow Creek gym instead of the one in his own neighborhood.

As it turned out, Cameron barely got his treadmill moving before the Willow Creek gang descended upon him. Within ten minutes, he had discussed his evening plans with Tim and Ava Horton; Tom Geiger; Summer Holiday’s dad, Brooks; and Kaleigh Rinehart-Scott.

“Rustic Sails? That’s solid,” Tim approved. “Great atmosphere.”
    “You won’t run into half of Willow Creek there,” Tom pointed out.
    “Leanna and I went on our first date there,” a proud Brooks recalled.
    “Angie blushed and giggled when I told her how sweet I think it is that you two are going out,” gushed Kaleigh.

As Cameron was walking out of the gym, he met Kaitlynne Blanton. She smiled the moment he saw him. “Hello, Cameron,” she said, playfully.
    Gee, I wonder what she’s going to talk to me about? he said to himself. Kaitlynne was one of Angie’s best friends and confidants.
    Kaitlynne wasted no time. “I know a sweet gal who has a date tonight, and she is OVER. THE. MOON about it.”
    Cameron felt himself blush. “You do, huh?”
    “I really do. Seriously, Cam. Angie is absolutely delighted to go out with you. She would die if she knew I told you this…but she really does like you. A lot.”
    W9eMQvi.png
    Kaitlynne paused, weighing her words carefully. “I don’t mean to put pressure on you to make it a Perfect Date. Really, it’s the opposite. Just relax and be yourself. Have fun. Don’t worry about trying to impress her.”
    She smiled sweetly and tossed him an innocent, playful wink. “You already have.”

Kaitlynne’s words had exactly the effect she’d hoped they would. By the time Cam and Angie met at the Rustic Sails Seafood Company, he was completely at ease.
    “All I was thinking about was how much fun I was going to have,” Cameron recalled.

Angie had followed Kaitlynne’s fashion advice, choosing a dress her friend called “casual-flirty-cute.” It was a warm night, so Angie pulled her long brown hair back from her pretty face.
    “I actually thought I looked cute,” she bashfully admitted. “Kait said I did. And Cam did, too.” She giggled as she remembered the way she’d caught him off guard.
    “She looked gorgeous,” was Cameron’s assessment. “I told her she looked cute. As soon as I said it, I wondered if she realized I meant it as a compliment.”

The host seated them at a table on the deck, overlooking the Bay. A waiter, who told them his name was Ethan, took their order. Angie chose Trout Meunière and Cam picked Lobster Tortellini. They both chose the Chef’s Special drink, some Calming Chamomile tea. Tim would have approved; Cameron was “going big.”
    K4xjDAQ.png
    Cameron figured he might see some of his neighborhood friends at the restaurant, and he was right. Randall and Chandler Nelson were seated at the table nearest them. Mike and Kate McGuire had the table across the patio.
    Randall saw Cam and Angie first. “Whoa, look who’s there, Chan. It’s Cameron Ross. Wonder who he’s with?” he asked his wife. “Let’s go meet her.”
    “Don’t you dare,” Chandler advised. “Let them have a quiet evening together.”

“This is absolutely perfect,” Angie mused.
    Cameron smiled. “Thanks, Angie. I’m glad you’re having fun…you are, aren’t you?”
    She giggled softly. “Of course I am.” She paused for a moment. “This is…my first real date.”
    Cam looked surprised. “I thought you went to Prom our senior year, with a guy from out of town.”
    “I did…but the guy I was with is the son of a woman my mom worked with. She set us up because neither of us was going to go to our Proms otherwise. It wasn’t really a date,” she admitted.
    “High school dating is way, way overrated,” Cameron said. “There’s too much drama most of the time.”
    “You’re making me really glad I missed out on it.”

Angie looked out over the Bay, watching a sailboat pass silently through the harbor. The sound of the water, lapping gently against the wharf, was soothing. The lights from the houses across the harbor twinkled on the Bay like starlight.
    “You like Brindleton Bay, don’t you?” she asked him.
    “I really do. It took some getting used to. I really missed everybody in Willow Creek. I was going home, like, every day.”
    “I know,” Angie admitted, and then she blushed.
    6kftnmF.png
    The longer they talked, the more comfortable they felt. Cameron flirted with Angie a little bit–seeing how she would react. To his delight–and somewhat to his surprise–Angie flirted right back. That’s a side of Angie I’ve never seen, he thought to himself.But I like it…
    4a8cs0a.png
    Angie felt different tonight: as confident in a social setting as she was in a classroom or a medical office. She was not only intelligent, but Kaitlynne and Cameron were right: She was super cute. She was the kind of girl any guy would be thrilled to have dinner with, and for the first time in her life, Angie felt like that girl.
    Up7AnfK.png
    “I’m getting hungry,” Cameron admitted. “They’re taking their time with our food, aren’t they?”
    “Good things are worth waiting for.” Angie smiled, her eyes sparkling.
    Just then, Ethan arrived with their food. He balanced the tray on one hand like a boss waiter should.
    And then he dropped the tray. The plates crashed to the deck, startling the other diners. “Oh, PLUMBOB ON A STICK!” Ethan exclaimed. He turned to apologize…and stepped directly in the mess he'd just made.
    yN8u0Ga.png
    Ethan mumbled three more apologies before he scrambled back to the kitchen to inform the chef he would need a second order. “It was no big deal,” Cameron remembered with a twinkle in his eye. “It gave us more time to talk.”
    By the time their food arrived, Willow Petersen and her mother had sat down near them. They’d come in for a late-night dessert. Willow caught Cameron’s eye and smiled.
    mASInGC.png
    “I am so hungry,” Angie admitted as she dug into her meal. All Cam could do was nod, because his mouth was already full of tortellini. “We barely talked during our meal,” Cameron remembered. “We’d been talking the whole time, though…so it didn’t feel awkward.”

When Angie and Cameron finished their meal, they were the last two diners at their table.
    “I had thought we’d go for a walk after dinner, but…it’s getting really late,” Cameron said, a bit sheepishly. “I’m sorry…”
    “Shhhh. This has been just perfect,” Angie reassured him. “I have to work tomorrow morning, so I really need to get home soon, anyway.”
    sRen5Ex.png
    Ethan the waiter cautiously approached their table, apologizing several more times for dropping their food and making them wait so long.
    “It was really no problem,” Cameron assured him again. “We weren’t in a hurry.”
    “It’s our first date,” Angie added, and her cheeks turned the color of her dress.
    The clumsy waiter stammered again. “Oh, plum…I’m…”
    “It’s all good,” Cam interrupted. “It’s a great story.”

Cam and Angie got up from their chairs. They had taken two or three steps when Cameron turned, and his eyes met Angie’s. And, then…
    QX9JG6w.png
    “He kissed me first,” Angie recalled later. “He surprised me a little bit, but it was a nice surprise.”
    “She definitely kissed me back,” Cameron remembered.
    Ethan kept it classy and turned away, but he smiled and, best of all, he had nothing in his hands that he could possibly have dropped to ruin the moment.

Their kiss was soft and sweet. It left both of them smiling.
    “Was that…” Cameron began.
    “Shhhh. Just perfect.”
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    "Plumbob on a stick!" I love it. I may have to steal that the next time I drop something or want to shout forbidden words.

The date was nicely written. Angie looked adorable in her dress. Another great chapter. Well done. :)
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    "Plumbob on a stick!" I love it. I may have to steal that the next time I drop something or want to shout forbidden words.

The date was nicely written. Angie looked adorable in her dress. Another great chapter. Well done. :)

@SweetieWright_84 Please feel free! Ethan's exclamation started out as simply "PLUMBOB!" and stayed that way until my final look at the chapter. I don't know what inspired me to add the stick, but I'm glad I did. I have no idea where it came from. Z has already said it once, too. :smile:

Ethan the Waiter actually dropped Cam and Angie's meal TWICE during the course of the evening, and he walked through it both times.

Every female Sim who plays more than a very minor role in the story has a variety of outfits for every occasion, thanks to Z. Angie is a playable Sim, and we've played her several times, but we let her choose her own outfit for her date. She would have certainly looked to her stylish bestie Kaitlynne for date night advice.

Thanks so much for your comments, and thanks for sticking with the story!
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    edited April 2022
    28. We get what we want

Nobody ever told Leah Atwood "no," unless it was her sister, Moriah.
    The spoiled daughters of a wealthy executive--whom it was said had acquired much of his wealth by dubious means--and his trophy wife, the Atwood sisters grew up with the best of everything. And, after their parents passed away, they inherited a huge estate which guaranteed their lifestyle would continue without interruption. Leah was a talented artist and Moriah an accomplished violinist, but neither sister put their talents to any good use. Instead, they spent piles of Simoleons in pursuit of fun.
    x7WIUJe.png
    The Atwood girls considered people as playthings. They were both incorrigible flirts, especially Moriah. Now well into Adulthood, neither sister had ever settled down into a relationship. "I might marry one day," mused Leah, "but I'll have to find someone richer than me first. If I do, I doubt anything else will matter."

Moriah and Leah shared a posh apartment in the Landgraab building, a highrise in the exclusive Uptown district of San Myshuno. It was rumored they didn't pay a Simoleon for it--more than a passing resemblance to the notorious Nancy Landgraab led some to conclude the girls were products of a long-running affair between Nancy and their father. Leah, a blonde, was nearly a spitting image of Madame Landgraab.

The Atwood sisters didn't leave the city often. But one evening, jaded by night after night of clubbing, they decided to see if Brindleton Bay's sunsets were as glorious as they'd been told. Neither of them had any idea when the sun set, so they arrived in the seaside district long before they needed to. They decided to walk around the village before they headed for the beach, and found themselves in Sable Square.

Leah and Moriah were somewhat impressed by the houses they saw there. "I thought people lived in shacks out here," Moriah admitted.
    "Not in this neighborhood," concluded Leah. "Look at this one."
    Leah pointed to a Dutch Colonial-style home with a red front door.
    deWmF9j.png
    "Not bad," Moriah said. "Not bad at all. I wonder who lives here?"
    "Whoever it is, they're not poor."
    "Let's take a closer look, shall we?"
    "Moriah, that's terrible...isn't it?" Leah giggled.
    "As if that ever stopped us!" Moriah winked. "Let's see what it's like in back."

The sisters went in the front gate and made their way around the right side of the house. When they saw the backyard, with a beautiful pool and a lovely outdoor dining area, they were even more impressed.
    Moriah had an especially good eye for design. "This is very nice. Whoever lives here has very good taste. I wonder who they are?"
    lHcKaSn.png
    At that moment, the answer to Moriah's question was sitting at a table at the Rustic Sails Seafood Company, enjoying his first date with his crush.

Leah spotted the bar Mason Ross had built into the cabana. "Ooooh, look here! I'm a bit thirsty. I wonder if they'd mind if we treated ourselves to a drink?"
    Moriah smiled wickedly. "You're becoming almost as outrageous as I am. Make us a drink, why don't you?"
    "I don't know how to mix a drink, Sis."
    "Neither do I. People always buy them for us."
    The spoiled blonde heiress found a bottle of wine. "I think I can manage this," she decided. Leah poured them each a glass of Granite Falls Grappo Blanco, from a bottle Dr. Ross had received as a retirement present.
    BVBpFX8.png
    "What are we going to say if the people who live here come outside and catch us?" Leah inquired.
    "That's easy. We'll invite them to our party, of course."
    dFWLUGJ.png
    By the time the Atwoods finished their wine (Moriah threw away her empty glass) it was too late to watch the sunset from the beach. They didn't care, however; they had more fun snooping around and being outrageous.

Neither of the sisters felt like going home, so it was off once again to the Fountainview Nightclub for more drinking, dancing, and flirting. Leah, the more active of the two, had the urge to play some ping-pong, while Moriah scanned the club for handsome men or pretty women to flirt with. She spotted two promising targets: a good-looking fellow with black hair and hazel eyes and his friend, a boyishly handsome dude with a jaunty cap. Moriah sashayed over to them, and soon she had thoroughly bewitched them both.

The dark-haired man, Paul Welch, interested her most, until his buddy mentioned he was an aspiring Doctor. That piece of information turned Moriah's head immediately.
    "And what did you say your name was, darling?"
    "Victor. Victor Heiser."
    dmkPpa4.png
    A newly interested Moriah began to talk about her day. "My sister and I spent the day in Brindleton Bay."
    "I have a friend who lives there," Victor pointed out.
    Paul nodded. "Isn't that where Cameron Ross lives?"
    "That's right," confirmed Victor. "He's got a really nice place with a pool and a bar out back."
    Moriah was definitely interested now. "Has he? That sounds very nice..."
    "Yeah, it is. It's his grandparents' place, but Cam is living there, keeping an eye on it for them."
    TRlIHCw.png
    "Lovely." Moriah's agile mind was piecing together all the facts she had just learned. "Excuse me, gentlemen," she said, with a dazzling smile. "You've been...wonderful company."

Moriah quickly found her sister. "You won't believe what I just heard," she said, and then she filled Leah in on the details of the conversation she'd had with Victor.
    LOFVdOq.png
    "So it's a young guy, house-sitting for his geezer grandparents?" Leah asked.
    "Exactly!"
    Leah paused for a moment. "But why does this all matter?"
    "At the very least, it's a place to hang out by the pool and have a man wait on us hand and foot," Moriah explained.
    "Oooh, kinda like a pool boy!"
    "Yes!"
    "That DOES sound like a good way to spend the summer!" Leah was definitely on board with this.
    Deo6y16.png
    Leah was the more intelligent sister, but Moriah was far more calculating. And this time she was several steps ahead of Leah.
    But it might turn out to be even more than that...
    Post edited by MoonlightGraham on
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    edited April 2022
    I binged the chapters. Your story is well-written.

@Sims4MagicalTales Oh, thank you very much. It's my first real try at Simlit, and I've had a lot of fun with it. So has my co-author.

While you were reading, we were writing a new chapter. :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    You're a natural. Great new characters and I like the restaurant date.
    Oh no, does Angie have competition? Hopefully Cam will see Leah and Moriah for what they are. I can't wait to see where this one goes.
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Thank you very much! I've written before, but never in this genre. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and so is Z.
    The date chapter took longer to write than any previous chapter. I wrote the basic story, and then went back and added much of Cam and Angie's dialogue later.

@SweetieWright_84 Perhaps you'll discover what Leah and Moriah really want as time goes on. They're used to getting what they want...but sometimes, people like them become overconfident and take on more than they can handle. That's all I'll say for now. :)

Thanks to you both for following along and commenting!
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    SweetieWright_84 Perhaps you'll discover what Leah and Moriah really want as time goes on. They're used to getting what they want...but sometimes, people like them become overconfident and take on more than they can handle. That's all I'll say for now. :)

I'm intrigued 🤔.
    Sul sul, everybody.

If anyone saw I'd updated the thread and was hoping for another chapter, I'll offer you an apology instead. The last few weeks have been insanely busy. Most of the things I've been busy with are good; the latest Covid variant--which swept through my household a month ago despite every possible precaution--was the exception. Z, her mom, and I are all fine; I had almost no symptoms at all, and none of the three of us were ever very sick.

However, my writing Muse seems to have temporarily left the building. My Simming Muse hasn't been hanging around much, either. Hopefully, the urge to write will become irresistible soon, and I'll be back with more of the story.

Z and I are thinking seriously about spinning the story of our teenage Spellcaster, Jamie Eldridge, off into a story of its own. I'll spoil things just a bit by revealing
    that Jamie and Cameron's family will be connected (Z and I have played that part of the save already)

I appreciate your patience, and I hope to be back with something more interesting for you to read soon.

Happy Simming, all!
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    @MoonlightGraham I am so happy to hear that you are all safe and sound. Stories aren't all that important versus your health and safety. Keep on taking good care of yourselves and no doubt the writing and simming urges will be back.
    @DaniRose2143 Thank you very much! I didn't even find time to look at the forum for a couple weeks, and a LOT has happened since then. My next stop will be "Under the Tartosan Sun." :)

It's funny how writing that post yesterday made the thought of booting up the game seem like it would be fun. Z decided to go straight into CAS and create some new Sims. Today we're going to explore some of the packs we don't use as often--we might send a Sim on an extended vacation to Granite Falls or Mt. Komorebi, or play a "test save" with a Sulani resident Sim.

I also found a chapter I'd already nearly completed and put the finishing touches on it. I'll post it in a few minutes. :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    @MoonlightGraham A lot has happened in Under The Tartosan Sun in the last two chapters. The ladies have tossed some plot twists at me, Danielle's was the biggest, but I have had enormous fun following wherever those twists took the story.
    edited June 2022
    This chapter doesn't contain many pictures, because I couldn't figure out a way to get my main characters into the right venue together in order to take my screenshots. It's time to catch back up with Marcia Eldridge.

29. Surprise
    Marcia Eldridge didn’t sleep at all the night before her appointment with Dr. Xu. Fortunately, she was the first patient on his schedule, or she would have fretted all day.

When she arrived at T. Pose Medical Center, she checked in and was taken to an examination room, where she met her doctor. Jeremy Xu was a kind man who related well to his patients. He explained that Marcia would be given a variety of tests to determine what was sapping her energy so completely.
    “None of them will be painful,” he explained. “In fact, many patients find themselves relaxing while the tests are taking place.”
    “I could use some relaxation,” Marcia admitted, with a slight smile.
    “I’ll be back in a few moments,” Dr. Xu said. “Until then, if you’d like a snack or a drink of water, please feel free.”
    Marcia went to get a drink, and on her way, she met another doctor: a young woman who seemed to be walking on air. “Good morning!” she sang.
    “Good morning!” Marcia replied, almost as happily. She looked at the doctor’s name badge.
    Dr. Angela Reynolds, she thought. I believe Dr. Reynolds must be in love…

Dr. Xu had been correct about her tests being relaxing. She nearly fell asleep while they were taking place. “We should be able to share the results with you later today,” the doctor explained. “If everything is fine, we’ll simply send you a text saying so. If we need to follow up with anything, we’ll let you know that, too, and we’ll schedule another appointment for you.”
    “Oh…okay,” Marcia replied. This frightened her a bit. Now I’ll be waiting all day for that text, or worse, fretting because I haven’t gotten a text, she thought.
    Angie was trying not to eavesdrop, but she heard her colleague’s words anyway. She could also see Marcia visibly tensing up. There ought to be a better way to put patients at ease about these things, thought the young physician.

Marcia needed to find things to do to keep her calm while she waited for Dr. Xu to text her…or not. A workout might occupy her, but then she might not have her phone available. A walk would be a better option.

Sometimes the hustle and bustle of San Myshuno could be a welcome distraction, but today, Marcia needed a quieter setting for her walk. She picked the Foundry Cove neighborhood. She could stroll beside the canal, and since she didn’t know many people in Willow Creek, she wouldn’t have to make much small talk.

Back at T. Pose, Jeremy Xu was called into surgery. The patient’s condition wasn’t life-threatening, but the operation required a master’s touch. Until recently, this would have been a job for Dr. Mason Ross. With Dr. Ross retired and living his best life in Sulani, it fell to Dr. Xu, the most talented surgeon currently on the T. Pose staff.

As Jeremy was scrubbing for the operation, he called out to Angie. “Can you please take a look at Marcia Eldridge’s test results for me and take it from there?”
    “Of course,” she agreed.
    “Thanks. I think I know what you’ll discover, but I want to make sure.” Jeremy smiled, and set off for the operating room.

Angie thought she knew what she’d find, too. She checked Marcia's results. Her instincts turned out to be correct. She smiled and sent a text message to Marcia Eldridge, and then she gathered her things and headed home.

She had just reached Foundry Cove when, to her surprise, Angie saw none other than her patient herself, strolling through one of the small green spaces that gave the neighborhood its character. The doctor jogged over to greet Marcia.

“Hi there,” Angie beamed.
    Marcia was caught completely off guard by the appearance of the pretty young doctor she’d met earlier. “H..hello,” she stammered.
    oUsC8Mo.png
    “Looks like you’re enjoying a nice, quiet walk before you share your news with your partner,” Angie continued.
    Marcia’s face went white. “My…news?”
    V4eY50H.png
    Now it was Angie’s turn to be caught off guard. “Yes…the news I texted you about…”
    Marcia’s heart hammered in her chest as she reached into her pocket for her phone. “I let my phone go dead,” she confessed. “I can’t believe I did that.”
    Angie took a deep breath. “Oh, it’s all good. Now I can deliver the news in person. That’s much better.”
    “What news?”
    “You’re expecting a baby!”
    eBeLfLJ.png

Post edited by MoonlightGraham on
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you and your family are feeling better. I wondered why I hadn't seen you around.

Another great chapter and such a happy twist to where I thought it was going to go. I'm sure Marcia is more than shocked though. I know I would be. :)
    edited June 2022
    Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you and your family are feeling better. I wondered why I hadn't seen you around.

Another great chapter and such a happy twist to where I thought it was going to go. I'm sure Marcia is more than shocked though. I know I would be. :)

@SweetieWright_84 Thank you so much! When a family lives by the academic calendar, late May/early June is NOT a good time to be out of commission. It's wonderful to feel like things are normal again!

MCCC rolled a pregnancy for Marcia, and we usually undo the things MCCC tries to do to our core families. We're still figuring out exactly how to set MCCC up, tweaking one setting and then another. But when we remembered Marcia had been weary and ill, we decided MCCC had helped us create a story line by coming up with a plausible reason for her illness.

And as for being shocked, all of us with teenaged kids could relate to that reaction...... :)

Thanks, as always, for following along!
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    And as for being shocked, all of us with teenaged kids could relate to that reaction...... :)

Truer words have never been spoken. :D
    I think I might have figured out why I hadn't been in the mood to write much, or even play our story save, lately. If you're not interested in my thought process, please feel free to skip this post. I'll place my musings behind a spoiler tag. :)
    Last night, I went back and read the first post I made in this thread, the one in which I described what I'd be writing about. I wasn't really sure what direction the story would take, but I thought I'd bring anyone who cared to read about it along for the ride. We followed our lead Sim, Cameron, as he lived his Sim-life through the game. We gave him a backstory and a family, but we had no idea what might happen next. The game took the lead.

While Z and I were playing and I was writing, we discovered all kinds of other Simlit stories, told by some amazing writers and storytellers. Some of them--some of you, rather--can create stories that are absolutely professional-quality, with gripping plots and engaging characters.

Aha, I told myself, so THAT's how you write Simlit!

This spring, Z and I began thinking of intriguing storylines we could add to WSWCT. Some of them were actually pretty good; good enough that we thought they could be worth writing about. But when it came time to boot up the game and play through these storylines, neither Z nor I was in the mood to do it. I couldn't figure out why, because we'd both had such fun up to this point.

Then it dawned on me. I like letting the game drive the story, rather than using the game to illustrate a story I've already written in my mind. I know some Simlit authors use the latter approach, and they're very good at it. Some of you have commented on our story here.

I'm definitely one who prefers doing the former.

So, Z and I are going to step back and let our Sims take the lead again. The result will be a "slice of life" story, driven by the development of Cameron's character...but I've decided I like telling that kind of story.

We've added some Sims to the cast who are mean, selfish, and manipulative; Seth Turner and the Atwood sisters for example. They'll probably do enough bad things to add some conflict to the story without us having to force it.

Yevsas mairzeemo!
    I think I might have figured out why I hadn't been in the mood to write much, or even play our story save, lately. If you're not interested in my thought process, please feel free to skip this post. I'll place my musings behind a spoiler tag. :)
    Last night, I went back and read the first post I made in this thread, the one in which I described what I'd be writing about. I wasn't really sure what direction the story would take, but I thought I'd bring anyone who cared to read about it along for the ride. We followed our lead Sim, Cameron, as he lived his Sim-life through the game. We gave him a backstory and a family, but we had no idea what might happen next. The game took the lead.

While Z and I were playing and I was writing, we discovered all kinds of other Simlit stories, told by some amazing writers and storytellers. Some of them--some of you, rather--can create stories that are absolutely professional-quality, with gripping plots and engaging characters.

This spring, Z and I began thinking of intriguing storylines we could add to WSWCT. Some of them were actually pretty good; good enough that we thought they could be worth writing about. But when it came time to boot up the game and play through these storylines, neither Z nor I was in the mood to do it. I couldn't figure out why, because we'd both had such fun up to this point.

Then it dawned on me. I like letting the game drive the story, rather than using the game to illustrate a story I've already written in my mind. I know some Simlit authors use the latter approach, and they're very good at it. Some of you have commented on our story here.

So, Z and I are going to step back and let our Sims take the lead again. The result will be a "slice of life" story, driven by the development of Cameron's character...but I've decided I like telling that kind of story.

We've added some Sims to the cast who are mean, selfish, and manipulative; Seth Turner and the Atwood sisters for example. They'll probably do enough bad things to add some conflict to the story without us having to force it.

I don't consider myself a writer, and I most certainly have never written anything that would be considered Simlit but I do understand getting caught up in the story and driving it instead of letting the game do the work. Some of my favorite households have been those where the game made the decisions rather than me making them.

I play out stories in the game, I just don't write them down. I've learned, for me, starting with a loose backstory and let the game (and my mods) do what they do. If I plan an entire story out, I usually rush to the good part and get bored.

Another thing I've learned recently is, stop forcing my story to progress when my original goal was reached.

For example, The Green and Hill families, which you may be familiar with from my save. I played Sophie and Jack's relationship from the beginning as teens. I played all through Sophie's pregnancy and the ups and downs of the relationship. I ended the story when she and Jack got back together.

Jack and Sophie had the happy ending I had envisioned for them when I created them but I didn't see a need to continue their story from there. Some stories are meant to be short.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    I tend to let the game play out the results and then write it up afterwards. I steer events a little bit, but the main trick is to make what happens in the game work logically with what's been told in the story so far.

That's how I do UTTS. I let the game do the majority of the storytelling, I just take pictures. I have a rough outline of the story and an idea of where I want it go, but I give them leeway to surprise me. Danielle coming out as lesbian is a great example of something completely unexpected that changes the story and takes it places I didn't imagine.

There are moments were I'm wanting something in particular that I think would make a good screenshot to add context. If they're not doing that action, or it's one they're very unlikely to do on their own, I will step in and direct. Good example is when the whole group goes for one of their nights out. The game isn't likely to send all 6 at the same time so I set it up. Another was the beach scene with Danielle and Londyn and the one with Matteo and Liberty at the end of the last episode. I didn't do everything, but I sent them to the spot, positioned them and queued the first romantic gesture and let it go from there. I did step in and have Matteo plant that passionate kiss on Liberty, because the silly boy wasn't doing it on his own, and it felt like just the right gesture to seal their love.

edited June 2022
    @SweetieWright_84 @Kellogg_J_Kellogg @DaniRose2143 Thank you for your comments! All of you are storytellers whose tales, whether they're written down or shared through screenshots and vignettes, Z and I enjoy very much. All of you have followed WSWCT from the beginning, or close to it, too, so I value your insights greatly.

All of you see the value of letting the game "take the lead," so to speak. I've always directed my Sims to do things that support the story, such as teleporting in so I can get a screenshot of a conversation that Z and I decided to add to the story the game gave us. Sometimes it's as simple as noticing two Sims interacting randomly, and thinking "what could they be up to?"

It's not the only good way to write Simlit, but it's the one I like best. Thanks again for stopping in. My Sims mojo feels like it's returning. Z is staying up a little later tonight, because she and I are learning how to decorate houses. :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    edited June 2022
    30. Wingman Ross
    Here you'll meet a new friend of Cameron's, and discover what Cam has been up to lately.
    When you’re in love, you see love wherever you are.
    If it wasn’t a line from a song, it should have been.

The day after his date with Angie, Cameron spoke to no fewer than seven of his friends about how the evening had gone.
    2FJ9Hej.png
    By a unanimous verdict, they declared that he should pursue this budding connection further.
    “I’ve known Cam for years,” Tim Horton said. “I’ve known Angie for a long time, too, but we didn’t socialize in high school. That’s entirely my fault. I missed out on making a good friend. I’m glad I can fix that now.”
    This honest admission, devoid of Tim’s usual good-natured bluster, summarized the way much of the Willow Creek gang felt about Angie.

Riding high on life, Cameron decided to explore some new pastimes. His grandparents’ home was filled with amenities he had barely noticed. There was a bar in the outdoor dining space, so Cam decided to learn the art of Mixology.
    wFqBwMr.png
    His friends from San Myshuno had told him about the climbing wall at the gym there, so he decided to give Rock Climbing a try.
    8VdsWds.png
    And, as you might expect, he found plenty of occasions to send sweet little texts to Angie, who was working more shifts than usual at T. Pose Medical.
    TQVKABr.png
    Cam and Angie had made plans to meet each other at the Humor & Hijinks Festival one cool, early summer evening, but Angie texted that afternoon with some unfortunate news.

I have to take an extra shift tonight. So sorry! Please go and have fun for me, ok?
    Not as much as if you were with me. Miss you already, he replied.

So Cameron would be flying solo that evening. He was disappointed, but he’d usually had fun on festival nights. And, as he pointed out, “doing things like that by myself feels different when it doesn’t happen all the time.”

Cameron grabbed something to eat, listened to a comedy routine, and set off some fireworks. He had fun, but by 9:00 or so, he was ready to head home. He thought he might sit outside at the fire pit and read a bit before bed.

As he was walking back to the train station, he heard two familiar voices, engaged in a happy-sounding conversation. He turned in the direction of the voice and smiled as he identified the speakers.

Kaitlynne Blanton had decided a night of Humor & Hijinks seemed like fun, too, so she’d come into the city from Willow Creek. Then, her evening took a more interesting turn when she encountered a new neighbor who had also decided to follow the lure of the city lights.

Christopher Pierce hadn’t lived in Willow Creek for very long. He’d moved there to take a job as an engineer with Obscure Logistics, and he was renting a house in Foundry Cove. Cameron met Christopher the day he moved in; the Rosses lived across the bridge from Christopher’s end of the neighborhood. The two young men got along well, bonding over a common passion for soccer.
    sfrapoW.png
    Kaitlynne and Christopher had met each other, too. She would have enjoyed it very much had Christopher kicked a soccer ball in her direction–she’d been a talented box-to-box midfielder for the Buckingham High girls side–but he didn’t know that. Kaitlynne had come over to Christopher’s house with the Welcome Wagon, and she’d approached him while he was fishing in the canal one evening. Tonight, Kaitlynne had barely left the train before she spotted Christopher, who was emerging from the Casbah Art Gallery. She smiled, waved, and hurried over to him, as quickly as she could in a pair of fashionable boots.
    vcIYMfi.png
    Cameron made his way across the plaza to greet them. I wonder if they came down here together? Cam asked himself.

Kaitlynne greeted Cameron with a friendly hug. “I’m going to have to start coming down to the Arts District more often. It’s where all the handsome men hang out.” Kait’s playful comment caused both of the guys to blush.
    “How did you like the festival?” Cameron asked them.
    “I haven’t made it there yet,” Kaitlynne admitted.
    “Neither have I,” Christopher added. “I was practicing painting at the Gallery.”
    “You paint?” Kaitlynne's eyes widened, and she smiled brightly.
    Chris stammered a bit. “Umm…not really,” he admitted. “That’s why I was practicing.”
    8tRBZQO.png
    Cameron chatted with them for a few more minutes before saying goodnight and boarding the train for Brindleton Bay.

Two days later, he had just finished a shift at work when his phone buzzed. It was a text from Christopher.

Want to meet me at the Willow Café? I’ll buy
    Cam smiled and texted him back.
    On my way. See you soon

By the time Cam got to the Café, Chris had gulped down two cups of coffee. Cameron sat down at a table, but Christopher was too keyed up to sit.
    “What’s got you so revved up?” Cameron asked him.
    “I need some advice.”
    “About…?”
    Christopher took a deep breath. “How to get rid of a crush.”
    Cameron paused for a moment. “Why do you want to do that? Is she unavailable or something?”
    “It’s not that. She’s…well, she’s way out of my league.”
    Wheels turned in Cameron's head. I know what’s going on now. “I know her, don’t I?” he asked.
    “It’s Kaitlynne,” Chris admitted.
    Cameron paused again. “Why do you think Kaitlynne wouldn’t be interested in you? You’re a really nice guy. You have a good job. You’ve got your act together.”
    Christopher shook her head. “Women like Kaitlynne don’t date Engineering Interns who work all the time and rent starter houses in Willow Creek. They date Masters of Machines who own engineering firms and own penthouses in San Myshuno.”
    Cam shook his head. “You’re selling yourself short, Chris…”
    “You don’t…”
    Cameron kept going. “And you know what? You’re selling Kaitlynne short too, if you think she’s going to be more impressed by a dude’s bank account than what’s inside him.”
    NDwTvXZ.png
    Now that Chris was listening, Cameron continued. “I’ve known Kaitlynne since we were in high school. Guess who she was dating then?”
    “A dude from UBrite or Foxbury.”
    “Nope. She didn’t date at all. None of the guys would ask her out, because they all figured she was dating a dude from UBrite or Foxbury.” Cameron smiled. “If you like her, ask her out.”
    Cameron channeled his inner Tim Horton. “Go for it. Carpe diem.”
    s7oImTC.png
    “I’m not really a carpe diem kind of guy,” Chris admitted. “I’m the guy who would translate the phrase instead of actually doing it.”

Then an idea popped into Cameron’s head, making him smile. “Kaitlynne is a really good friend of Angie's. I’ll invite her, you, and Kait over to my place for a cookout by the pool. Sound good?”
    ShqrKfE.png
    Chris mulled over Cameron’s idea. "Hmmm, that's not a bad idea."
    “No pressure. You’re both friends of mine, and Kait is friends with Angie. It won’t look like a setup.

Cameron grinned at his friend. “And even if it does, who says Kaitlynne would mind?”
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    Here's the last of the posts we've taken screenshots for. We're catching up with Jamie Eldridge, our eager Spellcaster-in-training.

31. I got this
    YkolzrP.png
    While Marcia Eldridge was learning she was expecting a baby, her teenage son was, almost literally, in another world.

Jamie bolted his breakfast and hurried to the Magic Realm as quickly as he could. Now that school was out, he could dedicate most of his time to learning the art of Spellcasting.
    The aspiring wizard’s motives were honorable, to be sure. Jamie wanted to help his Mom more than anything. Still, the fact that there were perhaps a dozen other young trainees was turning out to be a wonderful bonus.
    A cute brunette named Shannon Christiansen introduced herself to Jamie, and the teenage acolytes began chatting amiably. The lesson book on the table in front of Jamie was ignored completely.
    zIuX0R4.png
    Simeon Silversweater watched Jamie and Shannon and shook his head. These kids think Spellcasting is a game. They’re more interested in…whatever they’re doing than learning magic.
    nVS5HKO.png
    The Sage strode across the room to the table where the teens were talking. He took a deep breath before speaking. He wasn’t truly angry with them, and Shannon, at least, was a very promising Spellcaster. Simeon wasn’t sure about Jamie yet.
    GNKI3Ya.png
    “It’s Jamie, isn’t it?” he asked the lad.
    “Yes, that’s right.”
    “Jamie, I understand completely why you want to associate with other young Spellcasters. Magic can be a lonely life, and it’s good to know that you’re not traveling the path you’ve chosen alone. However, the path is also a long and difficult one. If you’re going to reach your potential as a Caster–whatever that might be–you need to apply yourself much more diligently to your studies and training.”
    I’ve heard this before, Jamie said to himself.
    “Yes, Sir. I understand,” he said out loud.
    “I’ll see you around,” Shannon smiled sweetly at him, and Jamie felt his cheeks turn red.

Jamie didn’t like hearing that the mastery of magic was “long and difficult.” He needed to learn how to help his Mom sooner than that. He didn’t have months or years. He might not even have weeks. He sighed deeply and clasped his hands behind his head. How am I supposed to do this?
    He looked around the spacious room, filled with mystical decorations and strange objects, and then his eyes landed on a bookcase. Many of its shelves held weighty-looking volumes.
    Maybe there’s something in here, Jamie thought. This might be the wizarding version of looking online for a cheat code. He examined the tomes carefully, as if they would reveal their secrets to him the moment he laid eyes on them.
    RWUcPBA.png
    Simeon noticed what Jamie was doing and, again, he shook his head. I should dismiss this boy immediately, he thought. But there’s something about him I like, and I can’t figure out what it is. Again, the Sage approached his wayward student.
    “Jamie, these tomes do, indeed, contain useful information. You can, in fact, learn spells from them. However, at this early stage of your training, the mysteries these books contain are beyond your understanding.”
    Jamie’s face fell. “All right. I get it. Then how do I become better?”
    “You need to devote your time to practicing spells,” Simeon replied.
    Jamie nodded. “Yes, sir.” He began to wave his arms and practice incantations. He created a few sparkles, and nothing else. This sucks, Jamie thought.

Simeon was watching the boy out of the corner of his eye. Smiling now, he turned back to Jamie.
    “Young man, even when you become a wizard of incredible power, you will still need to practice in order to keep your skills honed to razor sharpness.”
    Simeon drew out an impressive, ebony-colored wand. “That wand is sweet,” Jamie thought out loud.
    “It is indeed.” The Sage’s eyes twinkled. He began to move it through the air, demonstrating a grace and power that enraptured his young student. “Let’s practice together, Jamie.”
    “Yes, sir.”
    a1T9d5D.png
    Spell training was hard work, and before long, Jamie needed a break. He walked out into the hall, where he met two other trainees, Laurie Flanagan and Savanna Huston. They were about Jamie’s age, but both girls had been training for several months now. Their skills were much more refined than his were, and their growing talent gave them a poise that Jamie lacked.
    “How is your training going so far?” Savanna asked him.
    “It’s been fun, but it’s slow,” Jamie admitted.
    SgZ0wbM.png
    “That’s how it was for me at first, too,” said Laurie. “I didn’t start making real progress until I dropped out of school and started training full-time.”
    “And your classy new wand didn’t hurt, either,” Savanna added.
    “You have wands?” Jamie inquired, somewhat in awe. "I thought they were for really skilled Spellcasters only."
    Both girls giggled. “You can get a wand anytime you want one. They sell them in Casters’ Alley.”
    “Where’s that?”
    Laurie and Savanna gave Jamie directions to the magical marketplace, and off Jamie went.
    Ip7Ew5L.png
    When Jamie reached Caster’s Alley, he stood for a moment in the street, taking in the atmosphere around him. He felt comfortable here, as comfortable as he did in the streets of San Myshuno. He found the stall that sold wands and approached the Astral Projection Vendor who worked there. His name was Omar Ritchie, and he helped Jamie pick out a Wood Wand.
    zYYXfxq.png
    “This is the right wand for you,” Omar advised him. “It’s got a perfect amount of power for a trainee like yourself.”
    Jamie frowned. “I don’t want a toy. I need something that will make things happen.”
    “Don’t worry about that,” Omar assured him. “Practice with this baby, and you’ll be ready for the Dueling Ground in no time.”
    Jamie’s eyes lit up. Dueling? Sweet!
    “Plum right I will,” he told Omar. He paid 40 Simoleons for his wand and tucked it away.

Jamie liked the idea of Dueling. He figured it might be a good way to fast-track his skill development. Plus, it sounded like fun.
    When he returned to Magic HQ, he drew out his new wand like he’d watched Simeon do. He practiced the movements he’d been working on…and to his delight, he felt much more assertive and formidable. “THERE we go!” he declared, clearly pleased with himself.
    Not far away, Savanna was working at a cauldron, learning to craft a new Potion. Jamie’s exclamation caught her attention, and she watched him for a moment.
    I’m not so sure about this…she thought.
    O8rU6d8.png
    Jamie, however, was very sure about this. He practiced for a few more minutes, twirling his wand with great flourishes.
    Enough of this. Now it’s Dueling time, he told himself. He put his wand away and looked around, in search of his first opponent. He decided against taking on Savanna, whom he’d rather date than Duel. The only other wizards in sight were Sages, and he knew better than to challenge them. He strode into the foyer to see who was around.

The first person Jamie spotted was a young man with dark, wavy hair. Jamie didn’t remember seeing him around the headquarters. He looked like he might be a few years older. When he saw Jamie, he lifted his hand in greeting.
    “Hi. I’m Jamie Eldridge.”
    “Matteo DiGirolamo. Pleased to meet you.”
    Jamie and Matteo chatted for a moment before Jamie cut to the chase. “I’m looking for someone to Duel with. What do you say, Matteo?”
    The older fellow smiled. “I haven’t seen you around before. How long did you say you’ve been training as a Spellcaster?”
    Jamie hesitated for a moment. He was still the newest of newbies. Still, he had a dope new wand…
    “I’m pretty new around here, but I’m ready. How about you?”
    Matteo smiled. He remembered being inexperienced, eager, and a bit foolhardy, too. “OK, Jamie…if you insist…”
    Jamie nodded. “Let’s do this!”
    1WA1s7K.png

Jamie led the way, until it dawned on him that he had no idea where the Dueling Ground was. He let Matteo catch up with him and lead the way. Matteo smiled, amused by the younger Spellcaster’s bravado,
    When they reached the Dueling Ground, Matteo drew Jamie aside.
    f0GbJ6R.png
    “Listen, Jamie. Are you really sure you want to do this? I’ve been training for months, and…well, this isn’t my first Duel.” Implicit in his statement was his recognition that this was undoubtedly Jamie’s first.
    Jamie didn’t hesitate. ‘Yeah. I’m really sure. Let’s go.”

The two Spellcasters took their stances, perhaps fifteen feet apart. Jamie waited for Matteo to take out a wand, and he was surprised when Matteo made no move to do so.
    Dude doesn’t even use a wand? Jamie thought, his confidence growing further.
    Matteo deliberately waited before he cast his first spell. It won’t hurt to let the kid take the first shot, he thought. And, to Matteo’s surprise, Jamie managed to make his first shot a good one. Matteo took a step back and ducked his head. He threw up his arms to deflect the spell.
    sSgm2Yg.png
    “Yes!” Jamie exclaimed. This isn’t hard at all!
    Matteo took a moment to collect himself. Jamie's spell had hit him a bit harder than he'd anticipated.
    "Not bad, Youngblood. Now it's game on,” he challenged. Matteo counterattacked. The two Casters’ spells met in midair, creating a brilliant ball of energy that crackled in the still air of the evening.
    3E3NQh3.png
    And then Matteo took Jamie to school.
    PqSn0M9.png
    IubMLTk.png
    HXPeCdS.png
    CMdezMN.png

After a moment, Matteo helped Jamie to his feet. He shook hands with him. “Good Duel, Youngblood.”
    “Thanks, Matteo. I’ll see you around.”
    “See you.”
    After Matteo left, Jamie stayed at the Dueling Ground for a few minutes. His head ached a bit, and he felt a bit wobbly, but otherwise he was none the worse for his first Duel.
    6SONuWY.png
    That was cool as plum.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top