Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"What should we call this?"...the making of a Sims story

Comments

• MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    SweetieWright_84 Thank you so much! It means a lot to us to get the seal of approval from the neighborhood's creator. We hesitated before we introduced it into the story, because while it's our game, it takes place in your Simiverse. We would never presume to know what stories might have existed in your mind while you built it.

You're doing exactly what I intended everyone to do. I only provided the canvas, you paint the picture. It will not offend me in anyway. Who knows, maybe something you write about will inspire me to add something to the save (with credit of course).

I really enjoy reading the story, and I can't wait to read more. I like your writing style and the characters. I want Cameron to succeed and to be happy in his new home. I'm rooting for him as much as I would my own sims.

@SweetieWright_84 I love to write, and Z and I are having an unbelievably good time creating our characters and their story. Realizing it's bringing other people enjoyment makes it even more fun for us. We hoped Cameron would be a character people will root for. We see him as a bit of a throwback, a Frank Capra-style protagonist Sim. Z and I are glad you're pulling for him.

Thank you for your kind words, and thank you again for creating the setting for our tale!
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    7. Sibling banter

The fact that Cameron was making progress toward his goal of becoming a competent cook didn’t make him enjoy Courtenay’s cooking any less. Mrs. Ross had told her older son that if he wanted to join the family for dinner, all he had to do was send a quick text, so she would be sure to make enough food for five (including two young men who ate more than one Sim’s share).

One Spring evening, Cam had sent such a text. Courtenay, delighted to have a full house to cook for, treated the family to Vegetable Chili, one of their favorites. They chatted as they ate.

“You’ll never guess who is back in town, Cameron,” Courtenay said.
    “The Flower Bunny.”
    “No, silly. Angie Reynolds.”

While the mention of the Flower Bunny didn’t make Halle snicker, Angie Reynolds’ name did. Angie was a classmate of Cameron’s, all through school. Halle had no reason to believe Angie ever had a crush on her brother, but when Halle felt like pestering him, she teased him about this possibility. She chose Angie because, of all the older girls Halle knew, Angie was the one she figured Cam would like the least.

Courtenay put her fork down and scowled at her daughter, giving her a withering “Mom does not approve” look. “That’s not kind, Halle.”
    “Yeah, Halle. That’s not kind,” Cameron repeated. “Didn’t Angie want to be a doctor?”
    Courtenay nodded. “She did, and she is. She’s joined the T. Pose Medical practice.”
    “I’m impressed,” Dan added. “That’s where my dad got his start, too.”
    Cameron nodded. “I’m not surprised. Angie is smart as plum.”

Cameron was right. Angie Reynolds had always been at the top of their class, a position for which nobody ever challenged her seriously. Cameron came the closest, but he was still a long way from Angie’s level. And while Angie was naturally intelligent, she worked to maximize her talents harder than Cam ever did. When Angie wasn’t bent over her homework tablet, she had her nose buried in a book.

Mean kids told her to keep her face there, so they wouldn’t have to look at it. Even as a Teen, Angie was completely unconcerned with her appearance. She wore her mousy brown hair pulled back so tightly it seemed to stretch her facial features out of place. Her outfits weren’t outfits, as much as they were combinations of bland garments she pulled from her dresser. She was as thin as a stick, and any figure she had was constantly concealed by her shapeless clothing. Angie was, in short, exactly the kind of girl a younger sister would “choose” for her big brother when she felt like being a Grade A brat.

Halle wanted to take one more shot at Cameron before the topic changed. “You ought to go look her up,” she teased. She added an exaggerated wink for effect.

Courtenay responded before Cam could. “Based on the picture her mom showed me, Cameron wouldn’t recognize her.” Then she smiled, very sweetly, at her son.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Good to see you having another go...I will catch up on the story over the next few days but for now I want to ask where Halle's hair is from as it's a good style? Is it CC or from a pack?
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    T. Pose Medical practice :D. That's hilarious.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    edited December 2021
    Good to see you having another go...I will catch up on the story over the next few days but for now I want to ask where Halle's hair is from as it's a good style? Is it CC or from a pack?

Thanks, @Kellogg_J_Kellogg . We're enjoying this story so much. The pace has been rapid while we're on holiday; Z attends the school where her mom and I teach, so we fortunately have our breaks together. I have a feeling we'll miss WSWCT once school is back in session and we have less time to play.

Halle's hair is CC. We try not to use much CC in our Sims, but you're right, her hair is really cute.
    I'm almost positive it's a variation of Quirky Introvert's Yaara hair. The variations simply affect where her hair lays on her shoulders.
    Here's the link: Halle's hair

I hope you'll enjoy following the story!
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    T. Pose Medical practice :D. That's hilarious.

@SweetieWright_84 I wish I could take credit for that name, but it's the practice Angie got when I signed her up for the Doctor career. There's at least one other medical practice, where another of our physicians practices.

One of these days, we're going to stop creating lore for our Sims and get around to playing the game again! Love Day <3 turned out to be interesting, so that's what our next chapter will be about.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    edited December 2021
    8. Just another Love Day?

Friday, Spring 20

For Sims who were involved in a relationship, the third weekend in Spring was the most romantic time of the year. Friday was Love Day, and the following evening, San Myshuno held its Romance Festival. But for a single Sim like Cameron, it was, at best, “just another weekend.”

He woke up to a dreary sky, the kind Brindleton Bay apparently saw lots of this time of year. By mid-morning, it was pouring rain. The decorations Cam had put up made his house look more festive, but they could only do too much to chase away the gloom.
    u6CaY9Q.jpg
    When Cam went out to tend his Birds of Paradise, he was soaked to the skin. Fortunately, he wasn’t planning on staying home today. He was on his way to Willow Creek to spend part of the holiday with his family.

Flowers were the traditional Love Day gift, and Cameron loved traditional things. He couldn’t think of anyone who would appreciate flowers from him besides his mother and sister, so he honored the holiday by giving Courtenay and Halle bouquets of roses. The Rosses were an affectionate family, so Cam shared warm, loving hugs with everyone.
    0vR2OoG.jpg
    Bro hug

Cameron brought the rain with him from Brindleton Bay, but it didn’t last, and the day turned sunny and warm.
    “It’s way too nice for you to be stuck inside, Cam,” Courtenay said. “Get out and enjoy the day.” While she would never tell Cameron to “go meet someone” in so many words, she wondered if a touch of romance in his life might be just the thing her older son needed.
    “I think I’ll go down to the park,” he announced.
    “I’ll probably see you there later,” Halle said, and Patrick nodded.

Willow Creek Family Park was a lovely area, placed in close proximity to all the district’s neighborhoods. As its name implied, the Family Park offered amusements for everyone. The younger set enjoyed the playground; there were easels and workbenches for the crafters; families with dogs could let them romp on an agility course. There was fishing, chess, and even an observatory. The Rosses had always spent a lot of time there, as did most WC families.

Cameron grabbed a bite to eat from a food stand, sat down at a picnic table, and looked around. He was surprised to see nobody he recognized. I haven’t been gone that long, he mused. By now he was becoming a bit restless and bored. He decided he would walk once around the path that ringed the park and, if that didn’t open up the possibility of anything fun, he’d simply head back home.
    Love Day is so overrated…

The first familiar person Cameron saw on his journey was Halle.
    “I didn’t need to come all the way down here just to see you,” He shook his head and smiled.
    “I told you I’d be here. And I totally get why you want to be seen with me.” Halle gave as good as she got.

The two of them chatted for a bit, and then they heard a familiar voice.
    “Oooohhh! THERE’s someone I haven’t seen in for-EVERRRR!”
    Cameron knew who it was before he looked up. Hey, Summer,” he greeted her with a smile.
    Summer Holiday was another of the kids Cameron and his siblings had played with as children. She was a year behind Cam in school, which made her a year older than Patrick. Some people found Summer’s permanent perkiness annoying, but Cameron had always thought Summer was lots of fun.

With her was another young woman whom Cameron and Halle didn’t recognize right away. There was definitely something familiar about her, but Cameron couldn’t remember her name. I think I’m about to make a fool of myself, he thought.

“Happy Love Day, hun!” Summer cooed, before she wrapped both Cam and Halle up in warm hugs.
    “I think both of y’all know Angie Reynolds, don’t you?”

Cameron and Halle looked at each other with identical expressions of amazement. The girl with Summer bore very little resemblance to the skinny, awkward Angie Reynolds they knew. Her hair was the color of Halle’s, no longer lifeless and dull. She looked fit, rather than scrawny. Her clothes didn’t look like someone else’s.

Halle recovered first. “Ummm…of course we do. It’s good to see you again, Angie.”
    Angie’s smile further delayed Cameron’s recovery.
    “Hey, Angie. My mom told me you were back in town.”
    “That’s right. I’m living with my mom and dad while I save up for a place of my own. I’m not home much anyway. Work keeps me really busy.”

The group was then joined by a cute little girl in blonde braids, who bounced over with a bright smile. “Hi, Dr. Reynolds! Hi, Miss Summer!”
    Angie beamed at the youngster. “Hi, Zuzu! Happy Love Day!”

Zuzu belonged to George and Mary Bailey, who lived across the street from the Holidays in Pendula Heights. The Baileys had lived in Willow Creek for almost a year now. George, who ran the Willow Creek Savings and Loan, was said to be “as nice as Dan Ross, maybe nicer.”

Summer introduced Zuzu to Halle and Cameron. When Zuzu heard Halle’s name, she smiled impishly.
    “I think my brother Pete has a crush on you,” she declared.
    Halle blushed three shades of pink. Cameron grinned, just as mischievously as Zuzu had.
    I’ll remember this one...
    2Wd25Fs.jpg
    Zuzu, Halle, Cameron, Angie, and Summer

Summer’s eyes drifted from Angie to Cameron, and back again. “Halle, sweetie, let’s us go for a stroll. It’s so good to see you, Cam.” She took Halle’s arm and guided her gently up the path.

Zuzu, clearly delighted to see her pediatrician outside her office, was not about to take such a subtle hint. “Do you like Love Day? I do! Mommy and Daddy gave us all presents earlier. Then they went on a date.”
    She turned to Angie. “Are you and Mr. Cameron on a date?”
    Angie stammered and blushed. “Umm, no, Mr. Cameron and I have been friends for a long time, but we aren’t on a date.” She looked at Cameron and mouthed the words “I’m sorry.”
    Cameron simply smiled. He was glad Angie had the composure to answer Zuzu’s question so kindly, while he merely shuffled from one foot to the other like a fool.

Angie’s phone buzzed. “Excuse me,” she said as she took it out. “That’s my dad,” she admitted. “I’m late for our family dinner. I’m sorry, but I have to go now."
    She bent her knees to reach Zuzu's level. "Happy Love Day, sweetie. I'll see you soon."
    Then she straightened up and looked up at Cameron. “It's been really nice catching up with you, Cameron. I heard you’re living in Brindleton Bay, but I’m sure I’ll see you around here. Seems like we never really leave Willow Creek, doesn’t it?”
    She smiled again, much more becomingly than Cameron remembered.

Angie went on her way. Zuzu turned back to Cameron. “Dr. Reynolds is my doctor,” she explained. “I love her. She’s the best.”
    Then she gave Cam a sweet, bashful smile. “I think you’re really nice too, Mr. Cameron. I like you already.”
    Cameron’s heart melted at the child’s simple, lovely words. “Aww, thanks, Zuzu. I like you already, too.”

Then he thought of something. “I have some fresh strawberries. I can’t eat all of them. Would you like some?”
    Zuzu’s face brightened even more. “Yum! I LOVE strawberries!”
    “Well, then, think of them as a Love Day gift from me.”
    YLKA4gG.jpg

Maybe Love Day isn’t so bad, after all.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    That was such a sweet chapter.
    edited December 2021
    That was such a sweet chapter.

@SweetieWright_84 Oh, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. There's more background behind the spoiler tag, if anyone is interested.
    As Love Day approached, Z and I wondered if we were going to let Cameron actively seek romance. He's not really a party guy, so he hasn't been cruising the clubs looking for love. He's had many adjustments to make as he's gone out on his own.

One or two of the young women in our world have paid attention to him--Willow Petersen, in particular--but her interest has thus far seemed more friendly than flirtatious. So, since there wasn't an obvious target for Cam's advances, Z and I decided he would play it cool on Love Day. He could check off most of his "holiday goals" by being sweet to the members of his family.

We had played through Love Day before I wrote the post introducing Angie Reynolds, the ugly duckling who has turned into a swan. Z helped me come up with the connection between Cameron and Angie. We wanted Angie to have a richer backstory than "Cameron meets another random Sim." Cam grew up in the WC. He is a sociable Sim. We figured he would know nearly everyone in the neighborhood, and they would know him and his family. He wouldn't realistically be meeting most of the Willow Creek residents for the first time.

Zuzu Bailey is, of course, borrowed from our family's favorite movie, It's a Wonderful Life. We brought the Baileys from our Gallery into our save, just because. Zuzu's arrival, and the departure of Summer and Halle, were all autonomous. Z and I decided we had to roll with that. Then, after Angie left, Zuzu was being so cute that we had to have Cam give her the strawberries. <3

The two older Bailey kids are Teens in this version, because we felt like we have Children running around everywhere, and not as many Teens. Halle and Patrick Ross needed more Sims their age to interact with.

Speaking of Halle and Patrick, we're thinking about giving the other Ross family members some adventures of their own. We don't want Cameron making a mess of things while we follow other Sims, though.

And the next game day is the Romance Festival. Will Cupid draw back his bow?
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    edited December 2021
    Some days do deserve their own chapter. This is the second such day in a row. :)

9. Queen to bishop six

Saturday, Spring 21
    Cameron apparently brought some pleasant Spring weather back to Brindleton Bay, because the next morning dawned sunny and bright. The sun shone on Cameron at work, too–he received another §10 raise…and a §1420 bonus on top of that! Now, between the money he earned at his job and the income from his gardening, he was nearly able to pay his weekly bills. At this rate, it won’t be long before I won’t need any of the money Grandpa Mason and Grandma Martha staked me with, he thought, and the thought of achieving this degree of financial independence, so soon, made him smile.

Tending his Birds of Paradise turned out to be more fun than Cameron had expected. The weeding and watering relaxed him, and he enjoyed watching his plants grow and develop. He began wondering if he might like to do something like that for a living.
    Gwdvunf.jpg
    His confidence high, Cam thought seriously about heading to the city for the Romance Festival. Something held him back, however. It was lame last time, he told himself. And I don’t need some weirdo who’s tripping on Sakura Tea telling me how “many moons I have to wait for my destined love.”

Instead, he set his course for the Willow Creek Family Park, and spent the evening playing chess with Angie Reynolds, who had also happened to think the Family Park would be a wonderful place to spend the evening.

Conversation came naturally to Cameron, and at first glance, he might appear very comfortable making small talk with girls…as long as they were friends, and nothing more. He hadn't talked much to Angie when they were growing up, and he'd certainly never been tongue-tied around her. Tonight felt different. The chess game gave Cam a believable cover for his sudden shyness. You weren’t supposed to be a chatterbox while you and your opponent were pondering your next moves. Except Cam was pondering much more than chess…
    Angie has changed so much! Now she’s a doctor, and I’m a part-time lifeguard. Does she think I’m a loser? I never really said more than “hi” to her in high school. She must think I’m full of myself, too. I hope she doesn’t…Oh, plum, she took my knight. Focus! What’s going on?? Do I like her, or something??

Angie, too, was perfectly glad to have an excuse to be quiet. Her mind was awhirl…
    I’ve run into Cameron two straight nights now. Does he think I’m stalking him? Is that seriously what I’m doing? Or did he come to the park because he might see me? Why am I thinking things like this?? Do I like him or something??
    xXhG9wO.jpg
    Even while distracted, Angie was still a superb chess player; Cameron, on his best day, was not. Angie cleared her mind enough to draw Cameron into a trap, which she then snapped shut.

“Checkmar,” she announced with a satisfied smile.

Cameron leaned back in his chair, his hands behind his head. “That didn’t take long. Well done.”
    “Thank you. You’re really not a bad player.” Great, Angie, she thought. That’s SUCH a compliment…
    “Yeah, I am,” Cameron disagreed. “But I AM the Curry Champion.” He playfully pounded his chest with his fist and laughed. Way to brag, doofus, he told himself.
    “Oh, really now?” Angie smirked. “I suppose you have the shirt to prove it?”
    “I’ll wear it next time we play.”
    Angie’s eyes widened. Is he, like, asking me out??
    Cameron looked down at the chess board. Did I just ask her out or something?

“I really had fun tonight,”Angie told him as she prepared to head home.
    “I did, too.” Cameron smiled warmly at her.
    “You know, tonight was the Romance Festival,” she murmured. “You didn’t feel like going?”
    “Nope. I went last time. It’s apparently not my thing.”
    “It’s definitely not my thing.”
    Cameron paused for a moment. “Let’s do this again, Angie.”
    “I’d like that, Cameron.”

And, then, they said good night.
    Post edited by MoonlightGraham on
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    At the end of this post, you might be able to guess which pack Z and I added to our game. :)

Tuesday, Spring 24

10. Believing makes it so

All four of Mike and Kate McGuire’s children were insanely smart, but teachers who had taught each of them were already speculating that the youngest, Leah, might be the brightest of them all. The precocious little blonde girl read voraciously, was two grades ahead in math, and was already a formidable chess player.

It was a warm, sunny day, the kind of day Leah usually liked to spend outdoors. Today, however, was different. She couldn’t wait to get home from school, crawl into a comfortable chair, and continue reading a book that had captivated her.
    tSq123M.jpg
    Its title was The Power of Ravalana, and it was the story of a girl about Leah’s age who discovered, quite by accident, that she had magical powers. Normally, Leah approached the world logically, with a cool, scientific detachment that seemed a bit out of place for a child so young. She’d outgrown children’s fantasy favorites, like The Last Unicorn, very quickly. But Ravalana’s story was different. It was less fanciful, set in a town a lot like Brindleton Bay, and Leah found herself wondering if it was really make-believe.

She had lots of questions, but she knew she didn’t dare talk to her siblings about them. Matthew would tease her unrelentingly. Daniel would probably ignore her. Nichole would be likely to launch into a long, detailed scientific explanation of why magic like Ravalana’s could not exist in the real world. Dad was still at work, so that left Mom. Leah tucked her book under her arm and went to find her mother.

Kate McGuire never understood how she and her husband, Mike, produced four intellectual prodigies. While neither of them were dull, they weren’t brilliant, either. It seemed that each successive child had asked them increasingly difficult questions, and after nearly fifteen years of them, Kate and Mike were, truthfully, worn out.

So, when Leah approached her with “Mom, can I ask you something?” Leah’s first response was a sigh. It had been a long day, and she wasn’t sure she had the energy to tackle one of her younger daughter’s queries. Still, she smiled down at Leah and replied, “Of course, sweetheart.”
    rZhjh5n.jpg
    “Do you think there’s such a thing as a Spellcaster?” Leah asked her.
    This question puzzled Kate. It wasn’t like Leah’s usual inquiries. She smiled, and arched an eyebrow at her. “Where did that come from?”
    “This book.” Leah held up The Power of Ravalana.
    Kate smiled. “I read that book. I was about your age when I discovered it.”
    Leah’s eyes widened. “That’s so cool! Did you like it?”
    Kate nodded. “I did.”
    “Do you think there could really be a girl like Ravalana? Here, in Brindleton Bay, even?”
    Kate lowered herself to her daughter’s height and placed her hands on her shoulders. “The most wonderful thing about a book is that, while you’re reading it, you can make it real for yourself. That world can be your world for a little while and, if you love it enough, you can carry a part of that world with you forever.
    So, if you think there could be a Spellcaster in Brindleton Bay…”

Kate’s answer lacked scientific accuracy, but it made Leah’s face break into a delightful smile. “I’m not sure, but it’s fun to think about, isn’t it?”
    “Uh huh.”
    a0xknrM.jpg
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    This latest chapter was a really fun read. You somehow made my sims even more lifelike. I would have never thought to incorporate anything magical into this family, but you did it so seamlessly. Another great post. Thanks for sharing. :)
    This latest chapter was a really fun read. You somehow made my sims even more lifelike. I would have never thought to incorporate anything magical into this family, but you did it so seamlessly. Another great post. Thanks for sharing. :)

@SweetieWright_84 Thanks very much!

We found the McGuire family on your Gallery page. We didn't think they were featured in your Populated save. We wanted a family with several kids for Brindleton Bay, so we moved them in. Z decided a bright, curious young girl might be the perfect Sim to show some interest in magic. Leah fit the bill perfectly!

At the very least, Leah is extremely curious about magic. Will anything come out of her interest? We'll see, won't we? ;)

I'm not deliberately being evasive with that last statement, either. Z and I often use a 20-sided die to determine what might happen next in our story. A roll might determine something as mundane as what Cameron will do with some spare time after work, or as potentially important as a career change. We haven't rolled to find out if Leah will investigate her interest further or, perhaps, pursue magical training of her own. There's already a Spellcaster in our world, but we're not going to reveal their identity yet!

Yevsas mairzeemo!
    @SweetieWright_84 Thanks very much!

We found the McGuire family on your Gallery page. We didn't think they were featured in your Populated save. We wanted a family with several kids for Brindleton Bay, so we moved them in. Z decided a bright, curious young girl might be the perfect Sim to show some interest in magic. Leah fit the bill perfectly!

At the very least, Leah is extremely curious about magic. Will anything come out of her interest? We'll see, won't we? ;)

I'm not deliberately being evasive with that last statement, either. Z and I often use a 20-sided die to determine what might happen next in our story. A roll might determine something as mundane as what Cameron will do with some spare time after work, or as potentially important as a career change. We haven't rolled to find out if Leah will investigate her interest further or, perhaps, pursue magical training of her own. There's already a Spellcaster in our world, but we're not going to reveal their identity yet!

The McGuire family aren't in the save. I made them a while ago and never really found a place for them in the save. They're based off a TV show that I used to watch called "Outmatched." It didn't last very long, only one or two seasons, before it was cancelled.

I'm excited to see what the die decides, and also for the reveal of your Spellcaster.
    The McGuire family aren't in the save. I made them a while ago and never really found a place for them in the save. They're based off a TV show that I used to watch called "Outmatched." It didn't last very long, only one or two seasons, before it was cancelled.

I'm excited to see what the die decides, and also for the reveal of your Spellcaster.

@SweetieWright_84 I didn't think I remembered seeing the McGuires anywhere besides the Gallery. They have been fun to see around Brindleton Bay so far.

Z is having a great time making and revising the simple charts we use to figure out what Cameron might do next. The details are behind the Spoiler tag, if anyone's interested.
    For example, a roll might determine if Cam will Exercise, Socialize, Have Fun/Build Skills, Read, Chill (Yoga/Wellness), or Explore and Collect. Then we'll roll again to figure out which specific activity he'll do, and perhaps again to determine where he'll do it. He's more likely to do some things than others; the range for Play Piano is bigger than Mix Drinks, and he's five times more likely to hang out in Brindleton Bay than he is to head to Oasis Springs. There's an option for Learn Something New on the Have Fun mini-chart.

Socialize>Brindleton Bay might lead him to the café or the park, or simply walking around town. Cam rolled Have Fun>Play Chess twice, and it's led to fun storylines both times.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    Happy 2022, Simmers!

We've been busy creating new Sims to move into university housing, so Cameron will have some new people to meet if his travels take him to campus. He already knows at least two UBrite students, and we've decided he knows one or two others who grew up with him in Willow Creek.

We just added Realm of Magic to our collection (thank you, Father Winter ;) ) so we're also playing a "side game," learning how Spellcasters work.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    11. What is this guy's deal?

Tuesday, Spring 24

It usually took Seth Turner less than a minute to figure out if he cared what you thought about him. He tended to base that decision on the answer to one question: What can this person do for me? Regardless of the answer, Seth pretty much treated you any way he pleased.

Seth was a student at the University of Britechester. He would have much preferred to attend Foxbury Institute, because he wanted to major in Villainy, and Foxbury had a Distinguished Degree program in that field. Seth was undoubtedly bright enough for Distinguished work. However, because he had been, at best, an indifferent student, he could only gain admittance to the regular program at UBrite.

Largely for that reason, Seth decided on Day One that he didn’t like UBrite very much and, even if he didn’t choose to say that in so many words, he had other ways to get his point across.
    ZYdT6OH.jpg
    Wearing Foxbury shorts when he jogged across campus was one way. So was joining a rowdy bunch of Foxbury students for a late-night visit to the iconic statue that stood in the middle of UBrite's main quad.
    HIP7cMc.jpg
    Seth did have to admit there were some gorgeous girls on the UBrite campus. There was a petite blonde named Wren Covington whom he’d seen around a few times. Seth thought Wren was cute enough for him to find out her name.

One beautiful Spring afternoon, Seth was heading toward the UBrite commons for a bite to eat when he spotted Wren, heading for the entrance to Drake Hall. Seth quickly changed direction so his path would intersect hers. As he approached, his gait became much more casual.

“Well, hello there. It’s Wren, isn’t it?”
    Wren paused, turned, and looked at the guy who had addressed her. She didn’t place him right away.
    “Umm, yes…have we met?”
    “If we haven’t, it’s time to fix that.” I’m Seth Turner.”
    Wren felt a shiver, and it wasn’t the pleasant kind. Still, she was a well-mannered girl, and Seth had been at least somewhat polite, even though she was a bit creeped out by the fact he already knew her name.
    So she smiled slightly and greeted him. “Pleased to meet you, Seth.” She chose not to offer a handshake.

Seth had already figured out Wren was worth his most charming self. He was a skilled conversationalist, and as they chatted, he could tell she was beginning to relax a bit more. Wren asked him one of the questions university students nearly always ask when they’re getting to know someone.
    “So, Seth…what are you majoring in?”
    He smirked. “Villainy.”
    EqRq53t.jpg
    “That’s…interesting.” Wren was clearly unnerved by this response, and Seth liked it.
    “And how about you? I hope you’re not about to tell me Psychology, or something mundane like that.”
    “Language and Literature,” Wren replied.
    “I suppose that’s a little bit better. You’re one of those Distinguished Degree professors’ pets.” He smiled, and Wren couldn’t tell if he was teasing or not.
    “What’s wrong with Psychology majors?” One of Wren’s best friends, Daniel Robinson, was studying Psych.
    “Nothing, I suppose,” Seth said with a shrug. “I, however, would rather put my knowledge of how people work to more practical uses.”
    Wren’s brow wrinkled. What is this guy’s deal?, she asked herself. She couldn’t help fidgeting a bit, and Seth noticed.
    “Are you in a hurry to meet your boyfriend? I’m sure he won’t mind if you’re a few minutes late.”
    Wren’s cheeks reddened. “Whether or not I have a boyfriend is no business of yours,” Wren snapped, all pretense of politeness gone.
    amoyfuR.jpg
    “That means you don’t have one,” Seth concluded. Not that I'll ever let that stop me, he thought, smiling to himself. In fact, Seth rather enjoyed trying to break couples up.

Wren’s phone buzzed. She tapped her screen and a picture of a girl with long brown hair and a bright smile appeared. Before Wren could tap out a reply, she felt Seth pluck her phone from her hand.
    jKu0FQF.jpg
    “What the plum…” she gasped.
    Seth smiled rakishly as he leered at the selfie Wren’s friend had texted to her.
    PQ1Vdwu.jpg
    “Your friend Halle is pretty hot,” he told Wren as he handed her phone back to her.
    Wren snatched the phone out of his hand. “And she’s too young for you.”
    Maybe now, he thought, but she won’t always be…
    “She also has a very protective older brother.”
    Seth shrugged again. “Like that bothers me.”
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    So, Seth is the villain in the story? He definitely made my skin crawl. I assume that's what you're going for, and in that case, good job. I instantly despise him. :)
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    @MoonlightGraham I like your writing style! And I feel for Cameron, it’s hard to adjust from being in a large family and looked after to being independent and alone. His mum had some really good advice with that list. I actually did the same thing when I moved out to college, and I still do it now. So these first few chapters read very nostalgically to me 😊

I’m back at work again so I don’t have a whole lot of time to read, but I’ll catch up eventually!
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    Seth is something else. But one would think he wouldn't like Foxbury that much given the rejection - still, I love the audacity of him wearing the rival school's colors. I wonder if he'll get over that chip he has on his shoulder.

I also really liked the advice Cameron was given earlier as well and how he took it without hesitation. He needed things to do to overcome the funk he was in.
    edited January 2022
    So, Seth is the villain in the story? He definitely made my skin crawl. I assume that's what you're going for, and in that case, good job. I instantly despise him. :)

@SweetieWright_84 Seth is certainly the closest thing to a villain you've met so far. There's more about his creation under the spoiler tag.
    We didn't say to ourselves, "We need a villain" and, then, conjure up Seth Turner. As with much of our story, there are random elements at work behind the scenes.

We randomized Seth's traits, and he rolled a trifecta of unpleasantness: Mean, Self-Absorbed, and Hot-Headed. We decided this outcome was clearly not due to chance, so we intervened and gave Seth the new Villainous Valentine aspiration. He spawned with that mustache, and we decided it would be his trademark. And, if you look carefully at his left hand, you'll see an infamous accessory. ;)

Will Seth turns out to be a true villain or, simply, an annoyingly arrogant student? I suppose we'll find out, won't we?
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    @MoonlightGraham I like your writing style! And I feel for Cameron, it’s hard to adjust from being in a large family and looked after to being independent and alone. His mum had some really good advice with that list. I actually did the same thing when I moved out to college, and I still do it now. So these first few chapters read very nostalgically to me 😊

I’m back at work again so I don’t have a whole lot of time to read, but I’ll catch up eventually!

@_sims_Yimi Oh, thank you! Coming from a Simlit writer whom I consider to be extremely talented, that's high praise, indeed. :)
    I'm from a family of four and, like Cameron, I'm the oldest. While Cam is not entirely my Simself--for one thing, I was always sure about what my career would be, even though I changed my mind when I was in college--there are aspects of his story that I'm drawing from my life. The list is one of those things. My parents taught me that pursuing a goal is an excellent way to shake off the blues. Cameron's blues were so gloomy that he needed a whole list full of things to pursue. It's great to have you following along. :smile:
    haneul wrote: »
    Seth is something else. But one would think he wouldn't like Foxbury that much given the rejection - still, I love the audacity of him wearing the rival school's colors. I wonder if he'll get over that chip he has on his shoulder.

I also really liked the advice Cameron was given earlier as well and how he took it without hesitation. He needed things to do to overcome the funk he was in.

@haneul "Something else" is a good way to describe our Mr. Turner. Again, there's more about him beneath the spoiler tag.
    I wish we could claim full credit for Seth's decision to rock those Foxbury shorts. We had no idea he had spawned with them until we saw him running on campus. Z and I had to find a way to work that coincidence into the story. We're delighted you're curious about why a student who was turned down from Foxbury would join a few of their hooligans on a romp through the UBrite campus. Perhaps you'll discover a reason why in the chapters to come.

Wren, the girl whom Seth messed with, is inspired by a girl who has been "Lady's Companion" for Z for several years. Z adores her, and she was absolutely livid when she discovered that, out of over 100 Sims Seth could have annoyed, he picked Wren.

Our d20 might have something to say about whether or not Seth's obnoxiousness is a phase or a way of life.

Cameron is smart enough to understand that Courtenay's advice comes from a loving place. And, as soon as we set him to doing some of the things on the list, his mood began to improve. Sims do a lot of wacky, illogical things sometimes, but they'll also occasionally demonstrate a remarkable ability to solve their own problems.

Z and I are both delighted to learn that some of you are taking an interest in our story. Please keep following...we promise you'll have more to read about before long!
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    Sul sul, everyone.

First of all, my apologies to anyone out there who was looking forward to a new chapter, clicked on the story, and found this instead. Instead, you get an explanation of why Z and I haven't updated in a while.

Right before Christmas, we added MC Command Center to our game. At first, we were very excited about the ways in which this mod could add to this save, and its accompanying story. Then, we discovered that we had unwittingly messed a few things up, because we didn't carefully check enough of the settings. MCCC worked the way it was supposed to, but because we didn't know how to adjust all its powers, it broke up couples we wanted to remain together, gave twin baby daughters to an Adult couple whom we envisioned in their late 40s, with a Teen son who was old enough to be Cameron's friend from high school, and pulled a clone of Agatha Crumplebottom from our Gallery to work as a barista.

So, we've decided to spend some time with a "MCCC workshop." We're creating a "throwaway" save and using it to tweak the settings, rather than experimenting with WSWCT. We promise we'll be back, once we've figured out how to harness MCCC's awesome powers for good.

Please stick with us, and thanks for understanding! :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    @MoonlightGraham Oooh, MCC can really mess with your world if you let it run around unchecked. I always keep an eye on it too - the last thing I want is for the wrong people in my cast to get a little too friendly with each other. Luckily you can give it very specific orders about what it is and isn't allowed to touch. But for new users it is a bit of a learning curve, yes. Good luck figuring out how it works! 😊 If you can't figure it out, there are tutorials on Youtube as well, I believe.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    edited January 2022
    @_sims_Yimi Thank you so much! The setting that doesn't seem intuitive to us is the one that controls relationship drama.

This is the path we're following: MCCC Command Center>MCCC Settings>Relationship Settings>Breakup Settings>Couple Relationship Change Percent (or Spouse Relationship Change Percent).

It says the default setting is 0, and that "a zero value means that relationship changes are disabled." We take that to mean that if we leave it set to 0, no couples will break up on their own. Or, if we set it to 10, there's a 10% percent a couple will split up.

I would have swornthat we didn't touch that setting, and we had two marriages end on their own. Is there something we're missing there?
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    MCCC can be a bit of a headache to learn but it's worth it when you figure it out.

Anyway, I can't wait for you to continue your story. Of course take all the time you need, we'll be here. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top