Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What were your first reactions to Sims 4 base game on release day?

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
This is for people who played the base game when it was first released, before any DLC.
  1. What did you first think of the art style?
  2. Thoughts on the closed world?
  3. What surprised you the most?
  4. Which missing features did you covet the most?
  5. What were your impressions of the emotion system?
  6. Were you able to continuously play without getting bored?

What did you first think of the art style
I loved it. After TS3 era, this was a return to something closer to the Sims 2. Lighting was good. Loved the town details of Willow Creek.
Thoughts on the closed world?
Since Sims 2 is my favorite in the franchise, I actually didn't mind it. I enjoy having control, and the open world of the Sims 3 meant playing rotationally and synching time weren't really possible.
What surprised you the most?
I was shocked at how basic the game was. I hated the mobile game aesthetic and the lack of careers, objects, gameplay systems.
Which missing features did you covet the most?
Wants and fears / aspiration meter. I was hoping EA would bring them back. I didn't like how minor and inconsequential the whims were. I initially was impressed with the new aspirations as they felt closer to TS2 aspirations and not just the lifetime wishes of TS3. But then I realized how shallow they were.
What were your impressions of the emotion system?
I immediately thought it was strange. So much of the game was tied to it. Objects gave emotional aura (WHY?). Job performance was tied to being in an emotion. Yet these emotions didn't feel impactful. They were just changes in the UI in the bottom left corner and we would see our Sim change their expression and have a different color indicator. Being in an emotion didn't really affect the AI, it only added useless color-coded interactions.
Were you able to continuously play without getting bored?
I remember my initial joy dwindled within about 30 to 60 minutes.
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member

At release appearances didn’t matter much to me, because the new versatile CAS (all outfits for all categories, separate accessories categories) blew my mind away. I took a long time to learn the push ‘n pull system, though.

One problem I noticed early was how dark and blue-tinted the indoor spaces were. My MTS download history lists a lightening mod as my very first Sims 4 mod as early as September 7.

Only after the first excitement about CAS and easy build mode settled a couple of weeks later, did I notice how clunky the furniture looked, like Lego Duplo compared to regular Lego.

2. Thoughts on the semi-open world?

No more travel times messing up shedules and putting one family on an unfair advantage over another, who lives closer to the workplace? No more curfew and psychic police? But I can still explore the home lot’s surroundings and collect seeds/minerals? Sign me on!
    Semi-open world was a major factor why I had bought this game. (Time still passing globally instead of per household still isn't a good idea.)

I don’t remember. I know there were two major annoyances, sims multitasking eating with toilet use (a problem to this very day) and sims spawning at venues in their PJs if I left their household at night (they fixed that sometime early on). Not sure if these count as surprises, though.

Honorary mention to culling, although that got discovered later only, and when it hit me (after the pre-GTW patch, iirc), I had been warned and was prepared.

Pools, but I had known they wouldn’t be included beforehand already. What I hadn’t known was just how much I’d miss them, and mind you, back then they were still throwing out the “engine can’t handle pools” narrative, so I was convinced we’d never get swimming pools.

I liked the old memories system that allowed us to define a memory’s flavor. Back then I could tell the game that my sim was sad about having to move to a new town. Nowadays, if the same sim would have a random happy moodlet at the time of taking the screenshot, the game would color the memory a happy one.

I found it hard to manipulate the emotions into the “Very” stage at first, but when it fully sank in that all this did was improve skill gain, I stopped trying.

Wants, fears and aspirations were never something I enjoyed, in fact, they were what had turned me off Sims 2 early on and made me return to Sims 1. So naturally I was positively impressed by how unintrusive these features are in this iteration.

Yes, perhaps even longer than I can nowadays.

I said so in a different thread already, I do not generally get bored with Sims 4. I get annoyed instead. The game doesn’t fail to entertain me, it often fails to work with me to the extend I expect it to.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited December 2021
    The sims4 was my first sims game that I was starting to play back in 2014, I had played sims3 a bit before but I had not liked it that much, it ran badly on my computer and I thought that it looked old. I liked the art style in the sims4, I thought it worked pretty well. I was not a huge fan of the clay hair, Maxis have gotten better at making it more detailed but back in the day the clay hair did not look great. I think the art style kinda works still today but it has aged a bit, textures no longer look detailed and the UI feels like it was made for smaller screens.

In the early days it was not a huge problem because my save was so small, I was fine with traveling between lots but after a couple of years loading times increased to incredibly long loading times and the game actually crashed on me until they made the game 64-bit (but not after several years which they should have done way sooner) because it used too much RAM (which will cause 32-bit applications to crash). I had to create new saves quite often. Even with the game running in 64-bit the closed world system is not friendly towards old saves and traveling between lots takes very long in my saves. So in the beginning it was it was fine, now it doesn't work very well anymore.

That I actually liked playing the sims, I thought that I would not like it. I played the game a lot the first three years, created all sorts of saves and families and had a great time.

Since I had not played any sims games previously I did not miss anything. When packs started to come out I was excited because I thought that the game would receive way more development than it did. I thought that all jobs would for example be like the jobs in Get to Work from now on and all packs would be as large and offer me the same entertainment over the years, but it kinda stopped after City Living, packs started to feel the same and I think the game's peak was around Cats & Dogs and Seasons, after that, it started going down and I was starting to get tired of the game.

I liked it, it added gameplay, I played with a starter household with three sims with very little money so it offered a great challenge. I was not aware of how easy the game got once you got more money though and once you started getting money the gameplay was not challenging anymore. I also thought that they would add more gameplay when it came to emotions which would make the game more challenging but they didn't, they added more stuff instead which made the game less challenging and emotions mattered less.

For the first three years I played the game a lot. I think after City Living I started playing the game less. The game did not receive enough development to keep me entertained and more stuff did not do a whole lot for me, I still played the game regularly up until Discover University where the sims4 was kinda ending for me. Now it feels like they are dragging the game out and I am mostly only interested in new content or mods. But not kits, because that's just more stuff.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    28th of May, 2015

Overall I had a great time with the sims4, I loved it the first three years, what I was probably disappointed with the most was that it did not receive as much development as I thought that it would get.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    edited December 2021
    Loved it. I still do.

Liked it for the most part, except that the game was - and still is - incapable of simulating any actual activity in lots in the same hood. This was especially annoying when there was a Community Lot next to my currently played Lot. Still not a fan of that.

The fact that so much Basic Gameplay came with chunky objects (telescope, bakers) instead of versatile smaller ones. I still don't get it.
    On the positive side, how smoothly the game ran and how beautiful it was (still is).

Toddlers.

I immediately found it inferior to the TS2 aspiration meter - which will always feel the best way to go about simulating a Sim's mental wellbeing to me.
    Emotions never were a selling point for me. They felt shallow and were by no means new to the series. Sims have had emotions since TS1.

Yes, though I played with aging off for more than a year because the lack of toddlers ruined my prefered family based playstyle. I still had a blast with the new Sims and played rotational for the first time. I kept that playstyle ever since. TS4 wasn't able to make me bond enough to stick with the same household the whole time.
    The main reason for that is - again - the lack of the aspiration meter or a meaningful substitute for it. Also, whims where shallow and repetitive without the aspiration meter and without being tied more to what actually happened in the household (e.g. level skills actually required for the next promotion, have a child level their skills or grow up nicely, have an A at school, take a suitable job for your Sim's personality). For the most part, such whims aren't even possible to mod in TS2 (by tuning and maybe even by Script Mods).
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Hated it! It's grown on me after all these years, but it's still definitely not my favorite. I hated the clay hair (and still don't care for most of it made by EA .... CC Maxis Match hair is much more stylish while keeping the general art style). I also hated the painted on texture detailing, rather than having actual details modeled onto the mesh. The aesthetics gave me a lot of mobile game vibes.

When I opened the game the very first time, I was totally confused by the UI and hated how they changed where everything was located differently from the 3 previous games.

I hated the chunky, clunky overly large and exaggerated objects. For years, I used to say it reminded me of a Fisher Price dollhouse with all it's bright, happy colors. They've gotten better the last few years, so that has made me happy. But, basegame stuff is still pretty horrible to me.

I closed the game and went back to TS3. I didn't open it up again until after toddlers came out and bought CL, DO, and GT and tried again. Still didn't hold my interest and the art style still grated on my nerves. So, I went searching for alpha CC to change every single visual aspect of the game from default road, sidewalk, trees, and grass replacements, to lighting mods, and furniture. Got some alpha hair and clothes and I was happy finally with the look of the game but it was quite jarring seeing my sims out and about next to NPCs in their default plastic helmet hair and smeary textures. So, I ended up deleting my alpha CC and stick to Maxis Match now.

Still to this day, 7+ years later, I complain to myself EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I create a new sim when I see those black, sharpie marker eyelashes!

I was not terribly concerned about the closed world when I heard about, because EA said we'd have "Open Neighborhoods" instead. But, turns out that was a lie. Your neighborhoods is not truly open, the surrounding areas that are not actual lots are open, but loading screen after loading screen to enter any lot, even if it's 10 meters away from your sims' home lot. This STILL irritates the ever lovin' bejeebus out of me, and is the main reason my sims are hermits and almost never, ever leave their lots.

How skimpy it was. There was almost nothing to do. How you literally had to imagine every single thing.

4. Which missing features did you covet the most? Color wheel and CASt and the ability to edit/modify/remove world objects to truly make the worlds your own.

5. What were your impressions of the emotion system? Way too over the top. I don't care for it and have found mods to tune it more to liking.

No, not in the beginning. I actually closed the game after looking at it seeing how empty it was and never opened it up back up for a few years.

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
      Hated it. Too soft and washed out.
      I didn't mind. I was still playing Sims 2, and I'm actually playing Sims 2 right now. I did wish (and still do) for a more open area within a certain radius, but I don't mind the closed world.
      I don't remember, but I would guess just how much I didn't like it. I've been playing since Sims 1 and loved all of them, except Medieval. I didn't buy it because it wasn't something I wanted. But Sims 4 was just... a let down.
      Aside from the missing items that had been base game before, normal telescopes, and any compelling reason at all to go to a community lot.
      Too easily changeable, fleeting, no depth to them at all. No real impact on gameplay.
      No. I tried the game a few times but could never get into it. I ended up not touching it again until GTW came out, then I tried it again. Same problem. I ended up not playing it again until 2019.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2021
    This is for people who played the base game when it was first released, before and DLC.

What did you first think of the art style?

Same as I think now. I'm a bit neutral about it. I love the artstyle and it's flexibility on one hand but on the other I absolutely love "texture" which is why I go crazy for textured cc. Like wood that looks like wood with the grooves and everything for example. But I don't care for hyper realistic sims either. Loved it enough to keep playing though and I still do.

I was never able to play ts3 as much as I wanted. I was on a bad laptop my uncle brought me, constant glitches and crashes and so many problems I just wasn't able to get into it.
    So the closed world never bothered me. I was just super excited I could actually play problem free!!! And still can after all the cc I make my pc suffer through 😅

Multi tasking!!! I loved it and still love it. Very neat feature.

Toddlers 🥲🥲 life just wasn't complete without them.

Wasn't crazy about it only because sims flip flop emotions too much without mods. With the mod that stabilizes it I love it.
    It makes them feel lively.

Were you able to continuously play without getting bored? No. I needed more packs, pools and toddlers. Base was fun but very bare. So I told myself I would come back after more packs come out. I fully returned when toddlers were released and have been having a blast ever since.🥳🥳

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    1.What did you first think of the art style?
    I don't think I got to enjoy it to its full as I had to run the game on low graphics setting (the computer didn't actually quite meet the minimum system requirements, but I could still play the game). I did find the art style to look much better than the previous games though.

2.Thoughts on the closed world?
    I preferred it to the open world Sims 3 had. I like that when my Sims go somewhere, they are instantly there. Even back at release the loading screen was fast. I also like that there is no curfew to worry about since I take my Sims out at any time, often without even looking at the clock.

3.What surprised you the most?
    How much fun collecting was and the variety of walk styles and how their emotions impacted their walk.

4.Which missing features did you covet the most?
    Nothing really. I knew pools and toddlers would be added later on, but I wasn't really bothered that they weren't in it. I was happy I could play the Sims again after Sims 3 was very glitchy.

5.What were your impressions of the emotion system?
    I really enjoyed it and still do. I like that their current emotion is very clear to the player, the different colour and image depicting each emotion and the little tune it plays and how their emotional state impacts their activities and walk style. It's added so much to the game.

6.Were you able to continuously play without getting bored?
    Definitely. I had a lot of fun playing Sims 4 back then and still do. I usually play in live mode and like to just do whatever I feel like doing. I haven't had to change my play style, I play the same way I did back with Sims 1, but with 4 there always was so much more to do.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited December 2021
    I did not like the style, but the quality was a step up from TS3 for sure (which was to be expected). It was still a good stage to get immersed into, more so than TS3. Loved the sims ; I found them to be well modeled and entertaining to watch. The lighting caught my attention too, another big improvement over TS3 there. But I hated the decor and build/buy items. EA was really cheap in that regard. Everything looked blocky and lacked refinement. Decoration was extremely limited. Even to this day they can't give us matching curtains.

Felt a little claustrophobic, but it wasn't such a big deal. The loading screens were fast enough. I was never the type of player that kept up with all the townies. I'm fine with playing one sim in one spot.

How good the sims looked and how well they were animated. Their voices were also well acted and very expressive. I hope one of the actors stays at EA to work on TS5. So good. I wished there were more to chose from though. And I was surprised by the lack of gameplay, sadly. Was the game released too early? Probably. But EA has a reputation to nickel and dime their customers, so idk.

Create a Style. Another example of how limited decoration was. They didn't even try to make up for it by using trendy colors and designs. Everything looked extra basic. It was like playing with legos.

It had me intrigued but not that much. EA had put some emphasis on their emotion system in their promotions, but in the game there wasn't much to look at. Today I enjoy emotions more for some reason. Maybe because they interact better with a more fleshed out game.

6 .Were you able to continuously play without getting bored?
    Not the first week. I had to make an effort to play. But the more I played the more I was invested.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Answers in order.

I liked the art style as it was different to the other Sims game. 😊

I didn’t like the closed worlds. 😩😩😩.
    Going from Sims 3 where you could travel anywhere to just around your house lot was very jarring. I always thought Sims 4 should have been Sims 3 in travel etc.
    Sims 2 where you play in your house and loading screens to go elsewhere.
    Sims 3 where you can play a short distance from your house but then loading screens.
    Sims 4 travel anywhere, no loading screens.

I’m not surprised as much as confused by Sims 4. Some things don’t make sense. I still don’t understand how we got a giant cupcake machine but no pools or cars on launch.
    Batuu bought spaceships yet there’s no cars!

I missed pools so much. Backyards just looked bare without them.

I dislike the emotion system. Sims 3 had the best metric to me.

I can’t play without inventing stories, I imagine my Sims getting up to all sorts but in the game they’re eating, sleeping etc and this is why I build so much.
    For instance I made Skeletor vs He-man but many of Skeletors bid for world domination ended up in his cover story etc. All they did in game was have a few scuffles. 😂😂😂.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I didn't care a lot for the way the hair was but I liked the rest. The worlds have always been beautiful.

I came into the franchise really late into TS3, so I was a little disappointed but I got over it.

Positive surprise: The ease of Build/Buy, and even CAS features.
    Negative surprise: Lack of things to do.

Toddlers.

I thought it was an interesting feature but later became annoyed with the constant changes of emotions.

No. I went back to TS3 and played it for several more months. I had buyer's remorse really bad.

7+ years later, and the game has become so much better, in my opinion. I play it almost exclusively and I love it. It still has its flaws and there are still things missing--certain packs, bug fixes, etc--but overall I enjoy it.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I was unimpressed with it at first and thought it was a downgrade from both the Sims 2 and 3 and still do with the FX effects and backdrops.

It felt more closed and limited than the Sims 1 especially with most of the lots being designed for tiny homes.

What surprised you the most? Probably just a couple things in CAS with the butt slider and pregnant Sims being able to wear normal outfits. I used to have to mod that stuff in with the Sims 3. The breast feeding was a nice edition too.

Which missing features did you covet the most? A lot of things for little Sims like babies being a object instead of a life stage. Took me back to the Sims 1 baby nightmares. Lack of toddlers was the biggest thing at first and why I joined forums because a doctor said I was going to die before a surgery. Thankfully I am still here and have the miracle of more time. Teenagers being the same height and looking like adults really grossed me out too especially with news events going on.

I thought it was a deep downgrade from the Sims 3 and still think it isn't balanced well even with the Sims 4 MMO root coding. Worst buffing system I have seen in any MMO game.

I was. More so when I was in high pain meds which of course I couldn't stay on after my surgery. There was a time before I discovered MCCC mod I was ready to give up on the Sims 4 completely back in 2015 when Outdoor Retreat and Get to Work came out, packs felt lackluster and communication between Gurus and Simmers was the worst I have ever seen it. Honestly thought the Sims 4 was going to be scrapped then and there. Family thread kept me going and felt like I found kindered spirits that loved their families and representing them in the Sims 4 as much as I did. We came out with many cool ideas thanks to spark fair's dedication for constructive feedback with the Gurus that ended up making into the game. Toddler release day was the happiest day and was nice to share it with amazing Simmers. I get burnout between pack releases when I have played through all a pack has to offer and gathered all the bug information. Bugs keep me from getting bored and offer some excitement and randomness with the game that sometimes I wish some of them would stayed broken. Like stretch skeleton one is one tenacious bug that is famous in the Sims games so like an old friend returning seeing it again. I love the randomness of life states too which interfere with the predictable emotion system and behaviors.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller