Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Way Of Creating Characters?

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member

Have you ever wondered what would it look like if you could turn yourself or others into Sims with just two clicks? The Sims Team wants to introduce a new method of creating Sims characters in the game that will allow you to do just that!

In the latest patent filed by EA in April 2020 and approved in October 2021, the team wants to introduce a new way of creating characters in the game through image processing.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/12/16/ea-wants-to-introduce-a-new-way-of-creating-characters-in-the-sims/

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Hmmmm no thanks. That sounds like a potential mess.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I'd love a feature like this. As long as the traditional method was still available.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yeah, it is novelty esque kind of like with Miis. I will never use it, and will not be granting camera permissions, but no harm no foul. *shrug*

But yeah, it would be crazy to get rid of CAS completely.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I think it’s a great idea!
    I’m all for expanding the CAS interface and for getting new tools to play with.

Naturally it won’t replace current CAS, because we’d need to tweak stuff. Traditional style. I believe traditional style will become even more advanced for this to work. I hope so anyway.
    I wonder how it will process drawings of characters. That’s something I’d be interested in, more than photos.
    See with photo processing I’m just afraid my simself wouldn’t look as Dishy Dashing as he currently does. 😜

A more important question: will this system recognize bodyhair? Probably not. All I’d get is a gentle error notification:

🏴‍☠️ ‼️BEEP BEEP! ERROR ERROR! ANOMALY DETECTED! CANT PROCESS THIS FURRY NONSENSE! PLEASE START OVER!‼️🏴‍☠️

I’ve seen this idea requested (not the bodyhair detection, but the photo scanning thingie) on this very forum not so long ago and I’m sure it’s something that will be utilized by plenty.

I hope the system’s AI won’t outsmart our sims though…

• ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    This is what I miss the most about the original Sims. I can't wait to try it out. I'm going to start collecting faces now that I want to use.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2021
    If it can work with pictures of TS2/TS3 characters I'm interested by this feature.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited December 2021
    I haven't seen games using images to create characters in a game for a long time. I think I played an old sports game where that was a feature where you could use your camera and the result was not great. I wonder how improved it has gotten in 2021.

I'm not really interested in a feature like this... well not for the sims4, because I find it hard to create characters from other media in the sims4 because of the art style. It can be done but I often have to end up making them look a bit more like they are from a comic book.

I don't think they are planning to let this replace CAS either, it's probably going to be a feature either for the sims4 or for something else.
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited December 2021
    No thanks. I would rather keep “Create A Sim” than have some feature that is poorly made. Some other people and I like “Create A Sim” just the way it is. That and through “Create A Sim”, I am able to make my Sims just the way I want them, which is why “Create A Sim” is so great. Sure, “Create A Sim” does have it’s issues, but I prefer that over the looks of “The Sims 2” Sims and “The Sims 3” Sims.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited December 2021
    I wonder if this is for TS4 or TS5, or whatever it will be called. Kinda odd to me to be implementing this into a game that's going on 8 years old, even if it does have years and years left. Why didn't they do this from the beginning?

Anyway, definitely not something I'm personally interested in, I don't ever create my sim-self. But, I do know several people have requested this type of thing in various posts here on the forum and on social media, so hopefully it's done well and meets their expectations. (And, hoping even more that it's optional LOL).
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited December 2021
    I like the idea... not to use my image but to add characters from my favourite films and series. But i hope it's for sims 5 cause what would i do with the characters in sims 4? Too much work to get bored in one hour 😂
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't do simselves at all, but the concept sounds interesting for anyone who might want to use images of real people or almost-realistic people as inspiration for their sims. I would be one of those, but with one big IF. That is, if the system doesn't "simify" the source material in such a way that it ends up pretty much the identical art style of a sim one could create with a more limited CAS. In that case, I'd prefer the plain jane approach, because I'd be modding the heck out of it anyway.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I like the idea... not to use my image but to add characters from my favourite films and series. But i hope it's for sims 5 cause what would i do with the characters in sims 4? Too much work to get bored in one hour 😂

@texxx78 nothing since you no longer play Sims 4. 😄
    But according to the latest stats from EA 529 million hours were spent in S4 live mode in 2021 so plenty of simmers still playing who might appreciate a feature like this.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    edited December 2021
    if we could use existing image of anything that could be fun like say turn picture of avocado toast into a sim if only it has recognizable face

or tbh id probably use it to more easily add premades from older games

but i feel like this is one of those extra things that sure fun but at cost of what

like i don't think this is exactly the thing game desperately needs and its probably quite pricy and oh the other things they could do with the money...
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    No thanks. I would rather keep “Create A Sim” than have some feature that is poorly made. .
    I don't think anyone is proposing to get rid of normal create a sim but if they were then obviously id rather have normal create a sim because I'm definitely not gonna want to make every sim like this
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited December 2021
    For me
    1) it's another small ring about a fact that sims is heading in development route to "always online social/avatar simulator" rather than a "full PC life simulator". And I'm strongly and actively against this course of action. But I practically can feel upper management picturing Sims in Metaverse and drooling...
    2) I do not even want to think about this used in conjunction with the mod you can not name... This could and would be bad.

Such technologies are fun novelties but also can turned problematic if not managed right. And I'm not convinced in abilities of EA to manage anything right.
    Post edited by Harukotyan on
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited December 2021
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I don't do simselves at all, but the concept sounds interesting for anyone who might want to use images of real people or almost-realistic people as inspiration for their sims. I would be one of those, but with one big IF. That is, if the system doesn't "simify" the source material in such a way that it ends up pretty much the identical art style of a sim one could create with a more limited CAS. In that case, I'd prefer the plain jane approach, because I'd be modding the heck out of it anyway.

The system would have to do something like that, I have attempted to create sims from characters from other media and games but it just doesn't work unless you are very good at CAS... It's always something missing, often because other games and media have different art styles.

I hope that they are also investing in letting us create different characters that we want in more detail because that's what I prefer. I get better results when I am working with the tools that I am given rather than trying to create an exact look from another source.

The sims for me have always been about living different lives, not my own or someone else specifically because that can often not be achieved without limitations anyway.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    I love this idea.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    logion wrote: »
    VeeDub wrote: »

The system would have to do something like that, I have attempted to create sims from characters from other media and games but it just doesn't work unless you are very good at CAS... It's always something missing, often because other games and media have different art styles.

I hope that they are also investing in letting us create different characters that we want in more detail because that's what I prefer. I get better results when I am working with the tools that I am given rather than trying to create an exact look from another source.

The sims for me have always been about living different lives, not my own or someone else specifically because that can often not be achieved without limitations anyway.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking, too. I don't want real people in my game, famous or not. But sometimes inspiration strikes when I see a certain type of appearance or expression (on real or virtual people in various media), and I want to try and capture that same general idea, but not necessarily that same thing in an identical way. Sometimes I can get close with the CAS in Sims 4, but I rarely get exactly what I wanted, and I never have without CC to help a bit. The devil is in the details, as they say; and I mean that in a creative way, in case anyone here is unfamiliar with that saying.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    For me
    1) it's another small ring about a fact that sims is heading in development route to "always online social/avatar simulator" rather than a "full PC life simulator". And I'm strongly and actively against this course of action. But I practically can feel upper management picturing Sims in Metaverse and drooling...
    2) I do not even want to think about this used in conjunction with the mod you can not name... This could and would be bad.

Such technologies are fun novelties but also can turned problematic if not managed right. And I'm not convinced in abilities of EA to manage anything right.

Good points. This could be especially problematic if they used this features with pictures of celebrities, and then tried to release *special* gameplay videos of them using that unnamed mod...I smell a lawsuit :D

It's a fun little feature, but similar to first person mode, it's just a novelty that people will quickly forget about.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    For me

Good points. This could be especially problematic if they used this features with pictures of celebrities, and then tried to release *special* gameplay videos of them using that unnamed mod...I smell a lawsuit :D
    Yeah. It could be useful (I like @Simmingal’s idea of using it to recreate premades from older games), but the creepiness potential is worrying.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2021
    With the new face details added to CAS by the NPC Overhaul update, the result could be interesting.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I don't see how this would effect celebrities. There are tons in the gallery that look exactly like the real celebrities in sim form. I have some of them. They even have cc skin that's practically copy pasted from a celebrities head. Looks like a sim walking around with a png photo attached 😂😂😂😂
    And in 7 years no one was worried about a lawsuit.
    This new tech, from my understanding, is not changing the artsyle of the game to look hyper realistic. A sim will still look like a cartoon sim. It's just going to make it easier to make a simself or whatever picture you use. Cuts down hours in CAS.
    But no matter how accurate a sim looks to a human in features they still clearly look like sims.
    And there was no mention of traditional CAS being replaced.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    @LeGardePourpre What new face details?
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I found this idea kinda ... not my thing when Daz added FaceGen to the base program. It's not going to be my thing in The Sims either. I don't play Sims to play out my fantasy life, so being able to be super accurate about creating my simself isn't appealing to me.

But if they add it, they add it. Not like I have to use it.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    oh great more facial recognition and all the privacy destruction and enhanced tracking and data mining that goes with it? i'll pass.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »

@texxx78 nothing since you no longer play Sims 4. 😄

I'ld play it if game mechanics would be a priority for the game developers, considering i own 600+ euros of sims 4 content and i can reinstall it and load it whenever i want. But nope, Cas is the priority... again.