Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things I’ve Recently Learned About The Sims 3

I am currently doing a LEPacy Challenge and I am on the first generation with Base Game, World Adventures, All SP’s (except sweet treats) and the store content I own.
I never knew that the base game didn’t have the following:
Mixology Skill
Strollers
Consignment Store
I started playing the Sims 3 after Late Night and Generations were released and I never played without Generations, Ambitions and Late Night so I was pretty surprised. I can’t wait to learn more about the game as I progresses through the challenge!
What sorts of things are you still learning about the Sims 3?

Comments

• StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    edited December 2021
    I've been playing this game since 2013 and I am *still* learning new things! There's a great thread here on this forum where lots and lots of folks have posted new, surprising, and interesting things they've found along the way!
    Post edited by StephSteb on
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited December 2021
    My Sims usually teach me new things. Like the other day my Sim who lives in Roaring Heights suddenly wanted to go to the festival.
    When she got there she wanted to egg hunt. It was the Spring festival, but there were no eggs for the egg hunt, and there were a lot of children around.
    I realized it needed to be fixed, so I fixed it.

edit the strollers come with Generations. And learned the Sims are spoiled :D

oh and something else I learned recently, they changed the way to move a sim out of a household.
    Now you have the option to move them to another town or to another house within that same town.
    It used to be you would seperate the household and you would be able to put the sim you took out in your inventory.
    But now its different, and I like it better.
    And also if you don't play them for a while, they will go off and do their own thing, get a job if they want one, and get married.
    I don't know if these things are because of mods or not, I do use some mods like story progression.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    About sims moving to a new town the way the game works. It is a good idea to SaveAs with a new name before doing that as when the sims move to a new town the new town is saved over the top of the old town and you lose everything you built or made and the sims left behind. It is like starting a fresh game with the same household.

I prefer to use NRAAS mods to travel to new towns, but that's just me and how I like to play. That way my sims can go back to their original world and visit their friends there.
    Karritz wrote: »
    About sims moving to a new town the way the game works. It is a good idea to SaveAs with a new name before doing that as when the sims move to a new town the new town is saved over the top of the old town and you lose everything you built or made and the sims left behind. It is like starting a fresh game with the same household.

I prefer to use NRAAS mods to travel to new towns, but that's just me and how I like to play. That way my sims can go back to their original world and visit their friends there.

I don't remember ever seeing it done that way before, moving to a new town. It could have been, but the way I remember it was you separate
    the family in edit town and it goes to your clip board, then you put them in your inventory, or move them into a new home.
    I usually have a back up save so if anything goes wrong I just go back to that.
    Or I just don't save it if it goes bonkers and go back to the game I was playing and try again.

I use NRAAS mods too :) Had to stop using the travel mod because strange things were happening in the game, but its my fav and I miss it.
    I may try it again because they update the mods.

Yes I love having my Sims being able to travel to another town and meet some of the other sims I've played. That was my favorite thing to do because I'd be playing one Sim and they'd want to flirt, get married, kiss etc and my mind would go to another Sim I had played and I said it would be cool if they could meet. So when the travel mod came out I was over the moon, but, as I said I had to remove it. :(
    Maybe I will try it again soon, and everything will be fine.
    edited December 2021
    faytheful wrote: »

I don't remember ever seeing it done that way before, moving to a new town. It could have been, but the way I remember it was you separate
    the family in edit town and it goes to your clip board, then you put them in your inventory, or move them into a new home.
    Or I just don't save it if it goes bonkers and go back to the game I was playing and try again.

I use NRAAS mods too :) Had to stop using the travel mod because strange things were happening in the game, but its my fav and I miss it.

Yes I love having my Sims being able to travel to another town and meet some of the other sims I've played. That was my favorite thing to do because I'd be playing one Sim and they'd want to flirt, get married, kiss etc and my mind would go to another Sim I had played and I said it would be cool if they could meet. So when the travel mod came out I was over the moon, but, as I said I had to remove it. :(

I never used the move to a new neighbourhood that comes with the game because I read someone complain they lost everything from their old town as the new town was saved over the top of it. They weren't happy.

I have occasionally had problems with a game when traveling between worlds. I think is is mostly my own fault as I insist on doing things that the mod isn't meant to handle. Such as traveling a few sims to a new world then moving them into an existing household. I have found I have to add the final sim to the household using Add Sim from Master Controller as one of the travellers has to stay on the lot they rented for their vacation. Then trying to send them home again with a few sims from the household they moved in with will really mix things up. I usually have to get the to rent an empty lot in their home world and then merge them with their own household.

A couple of times I've not been able to send them to their world as something has happened to the nhd file and it is corrupt. In that case I am saved by having done a few SaveAs with new name during their vacation. I just pick up an undamaged nhd file from a previous save. Looking at the file size makes it easy to find which is the first uncorrupted nhd as it shouldn't save or change size while it isn't the active world.

Some times I have a save game that I decide I want to add to an existing game. So I send my sims in the existing game to that world and home again to put the nhd file in the game. Then I pick up the nhd from the game I want included in the new save and then all the sims and builds are in the bigger game. I sometimes refer to my Big Game in posts. That Game has been going in some form since about 2010 approximately. Since I added mods to my game it has gained new worlds and currently has nhd files for 20 worlds plus China, Egypt and France. I have to SaveAs often just in case of catastrophe. But with the different named saves I can always repair it. Or so far I have been able to do so.

EDIT: I hope I didn't count incorrectly. These are the worlds in the game plus the 3 WA worlds.
    Barnacle Bay, Bellatrix, Cake Island, Chocolate Cake Island Cotes d'Ambonnay, Dark Harbor, Dragon Valley, Erewhon, Glenvale County, Grey Meadow Islands, Hidden Springs, Isle of Sims III, Legacy Island III, Lucky Palms, Moonfall Island, Moonlight Falls, Norbrewych, Sunlit Tides
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited December 2021
    @Karritz
    I don't have half of the worlds you listed. I own all the packs except Sweet Treats and have all the worlds you can buy from the sims store. Where did you get all of them from?

The ones I don't have are:
    Bellatrix, Cake Island, Chocolate Cake Island Cotes d'Ambonnay, Dark Harbor, Erewhon, Glenvale County, Grey Meadow Islands, Isle of Sims III, Legacy Island III, Moonfall Island and Norbrewych.

I also learned this:
    Base Game Pregnancy Clothes are 1 top, 2 pairs of pants, and 2 dresses. At least you can make them look different with CAS.
    Attack with the Claw action with toddlers is also not in the base game.
    Post edited by TeeSea on
    @TeeSea The worlds you don't have are all player made worlds.

Most of them were made by @Rflong7 also known as @Rflong13
    Her worlds include: Bellatrix, Cake Island (two versions of this are available), Dark Harbor, Glenvale County, Isle of Sims III, Legacy Island III, Moonfall Island, and Norbrewych. Some of the others in my list could have been made by her too.

In my 30 Grandchildren save I use Cake Island II. I think the only difference between Cake Island and Cake Island II is the second version has houses in it.

Her studio can be found here
    https://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Rflong7/mystudio

Or

https://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Rflong13/mystudio

Quailhogs made Grey Meadow Islands
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4123705

Cotes d'Ambonnay is by xSorcier and is on the exchange

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8014541

I'm thinking of removing it from my big game as it requires too much work for me to set it up and it isn't really suitable for me to use as I am mostly interested in videoing for my YouTube videos and most of th houses and rooms are very tiny. It is a medieval French village over a few islands and is beautifully done.

Erewhon is by Silverdrake and is also on the Exchange
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7190230

I think that just about covers it.

I hope you have fun with any of these worlds you decide to download and put into your game.
  • deavvedeavve Posts: 20 Member
    I just learned that when you try for a baby in time travel machine, the baby from the future can come out of the machine as an elder. It was a huge surprise when it happened in my family
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    If you want a juicy gossip around town, read a newspaper everyday. Never done that since I first play the game now I never missed reading newspaper every morning.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    When trying to break into a house during a rainstorm, a thief will use an umbrella.

I never used the move to a new neighbourhood that comes with the game because I read someone complain they lost everything from their old town as the new town was saved over the top of it. They weren't happy.

I have occasionally had problems with a game when traveling between worlds. I think is is mostly my own fault as I insist on doing things that the mod isn't meant to handle. Such as traveling a few sims to a new world then moving them into an existing household. I have found I have to add the final sim to the household using Add Sim from Master Controller as one of the travellers has to stay on the lot they rented for their vacation. Then trying to send them home again with a few sims from the household they moved in with will really mix things up. I usually have to get the to rent an empty lot in their home world and then merge them with their own household.

A couple of times I've not been able to send them to their world as something has happened to the nhd file and it is corrupt. In that case I am saved by having done a few SaveAs with new name during their vacation. I just pick up an undamaged nhd file from a previous save. Looking at the file size makes it easy to find which is the first uncorrupted nhd as it shouldn't save or change size while it isn't the active world.

Some times I have a save game that I decide I want to add to an existing game. So I send my sims in the existing game to that world and home again to put the nhd file in the game. Then I pick up the nhd from the game I want included in the new save and then all the sims and builds are in the bigger game. I sometimes refer to my Big Game in posts. That Game has been going in some form since about 2010 approximately. Since I added mods to my game it has gained new worlds and currently has nhd files for 20 worlds plus China, Egypt and France. I have to SaveAs often just in case of catastrophe. But with the different named saves I can always repair it. Or so far I have been able to do so.

EDIT: I hope I didn't count incorrectly. These are the worlds in the game plus the 3 WA worlds.
    Barnacle Bay, Bellatrix, Cake Island, Chocolate Cake Island Cotes d'Ambonnay, Dark Harbor, Dragon Valley, Erewhon, Glenvale County, Grey Meadow Islands, Hidden Springs, Isle of Sims III, Legacy Island III, Lucky Palms, Moonfall Island, Moonlight Falls, Norbrewych, Sunlit Tides

yea trying to merge them into an existing household in the travel world would cause problems I guess.
    I never tried to do that. I just wanted them to meet then I'd move them to the new town if they liked each other, but they never did like each other.
    iirc only one who traveled to another town liked the Sim I wanted her to meet. The others were like meh. lol.
    But eventually I started having in game problems with the traveling too and stopped using the mod because I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
    But that's my favorite mod and I really do miss it.
    I think I ran into the nhd corrupt file a few times too.
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    When trying to break into a house during a rainstorm, a thief will use an umbrella.

:D yes ! isn't that crazy ?
    edited December 2021
    Well I learned this a long time ago, and use it in my game. You might have a need for it too one day, if you don't already know it.
    I learned with testing cheats on you can shift click on your sim, edit them in CAS and turn back their age.
    I did that for 4 Sims who are attending Uni with my Sim right now. They were 99 (Sim) years old !

edited to remove a word.

yea trying to merge them into an existing household in the travel world would cause problems I guess.
    I never tried to do that. I just wanted them to meet then I'd move them to the new town if they liked each other, but they never did like each other.
    iirc only one who traveled to another town liked the Sim I wanted her to meet. The others were like meh. lol.
    But eventually I started having in game problems with the traveling too and stopped using the mod because I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
    But that's my favorite mod and I really do miss it.
    I think I ran into the nhd corrupt file a few times too.

I have huge households in some of my video series and I like to split them up some times and in order to keep control of them all I will move some to a different world. So I often find myself sending sims from the main household in one world to stay in the main household in another world. I know the mod isn't designed to work this way but I have managed to keep it going in several different games for a few years now.
  • ModernDayM0zartModernDayM0zart Posts: 20 Member
    In certain places, you can go to a fridge and get free food, so you can roleplay as a homeless/vagabond/nomad/... Great findings also all,
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    NRAAS Consignment Mod is the best thing I'm come across lately. I literally go everyday that I get mail and I list the items I was gifted via the mailbox. The more I sell the better the prices I get and more money for my sim to travel!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited December 2021
    If you want a lot of simoleons, get a dog;
    If you want a lot of simoleons, get a dog,
    Be rollin' in gemstones, other sims will whine and moan.
    If you want a lot of simoleons, get a dog.

:mrgreen:
    Screenshot-21.jpg
    f63d7bce07697808437c3fd49b52212c1818cc94.png
    WOOHOO... I'M STINKIN' RICH!!!! :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    If you want a lot of simoleons, get a dog;
    If you want a lot of simoleons, get a dog,
    Be rollin' in gemstones, other sims will whine and moan.
    If you want a lot of simoleons, get a dog.

:mrgreen:
    Screenshot-21.jpg
    f63d7bce07697808437c3fd49b52212c1818cc94.png

Yes. I learned having a dog in Midnight Hollow is extremely lucrative.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

Not to take too much away from you enjoying the canine companion, and the profits involved ...
    But, face it ... I've always said:

The only way a Player can have a Sim that isn't Stinking Rich (even without cheating) ...
    Is if they want them to be poor, or are having trouble doing anything other than finding the next Sim to Woohoo ...
    :D

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA