Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the "life styles" hamper your game?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2021
    None of the lifestyles I've experienced in my game so far have caused me any issues. I like them cause they add a little extra personality to my sims. Something I've noticed is that some of them all my sims seem to get while the others seem to be rarely obtained. I feel like almost all of my sims get the close knit lifestyle.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    None of the lifestyles I've experienced in my game so far have caused me any issues. I like them cause they add a little extra personality to my sims. Something I've noticed is that some of them all my sims seem to get while the others seem to be rarely obtained. I feel like almost all of my sims get the close knit lifestyle.

I just turned the life styles off in my game. There seemed to be no need to have a sim that is an outdoors type, who would get a negative buff anyway, to have another negative buff to go along with it for staying in doors.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    As others have said, I found them a good idea that was... less than well executed. Some Lifestyles were too easy to get and didn't actually suit the character of the sim that got them, others that did suit said sim were devilishly hard to even progress on, let alone activate. I ended up deciding that the whole headache wasn't worth it and turned them off. Haven't missed them one bit.

Me neither!!!
  • Options
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    I play Rags to Riches all the time so all my Sims are workaholic's and always tense LOL. So, I turned it off and haven't looked back.

It's about 50-50 as to whether people like those darn lifestyles in their game. Hmmm!!!
  • Options
    cytnl wrote: »
    I didn't get Snowy Escape right away, so I read peoples' feedback and impressions on Lifestyles before I bought the EP. Then, after I did, I immediately turned them off and have never played with them. My reasons are as people have stated above - they sound way too limiting to me, instead of actually adding a new character dimension. Plus, literally all of my sims would end up with 'Single and Loving It' as I never play romance, which seems incredibly repetitive and not at all reflecting their differences in interests and personalities. If this system ever gets reworked - and expanded - I might consider turning it on, but as it stands currently, I'm not interested.

I turned mine off today and don't miss them 1 bit.
  • Options
    I'm not bothered by them. I get a tad dismayed, however, when my Teens all end up with the Single & Loving It lifestyle, when they are on a track to be married. For a time, their mother had that lifestyle and I was like, say what? You're a married woman, for decades. My celebrity always gets the People Person lifestyle, but then again, he loves and appreciates his fans and likes to mingle, sign autographs and take Selfies with them. I guess he earns it.

The only real downside I've noticed lately is the third Teen in the household was suddenly holding a grudge. Turns out his father's Workaholic lifestyle made him feel neglected. I felt badly for Joey. This new game save, however, I've noticed that Joseph is going out of his way (I play will autonomy on) to engage Joey in conversations. Could it be my Sims really are smarter? Or am I just noticing what he's likely been doing all along because Joey was sulking? At any rate, I do find the lifestyles add a layer of fun to the game.

It seems like the lifestyles are hit or miss.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I immediately turned them off after reading what other people was experiencing.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2021
    I immediately turned them off after reading what other people was experiencing.

I use Bienchen's Lifestyle Tweaks mod in my game, it makes them much better to deal with.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    The 'energetic' lifestyle is the one I dread. My Sim does yoga every morning not only to stay fit, but to make her focused or inspired, depending on what she will be doing that day. Inevitably, she gets that blasted 'energetic' lifestyle, which makes her energetic instead of focused or inspired. I've spent loads of aspiration points poofing that lifestyle. (I even put up with the 'sedentary' lifestyle, which my millionaire-aspiring Sim got from to much time programming and hacking. She complained a bit about having to be up and about in the morning, but at least she wasn't energetic.)

The others can be mildly annoying - my Sims usually get the 'outdoorsy' from gardening, which makes them a bit whiny when I want them to knit or read. I don't mind the 'workaholic' much, since my Sims usually get it when I'm trying to complete the Renaissance aspiration, and it helps them to move up in their careers.

'Close-knit' and 'single & loving it' are also pretty common for my Sims, and they don't have much affect on my Sims.

The one I like is the 'healthy eating' lifestyle, unless my Sim is off-the-grid. They get some new healthy foods to make, but they don't work off-the-grid.

@halloweenchild : My Sims have got the 'close-knit' when they lived completely alone and had no Sim friends or family - they got it from their animal friendships!

My mermaid sim get the "energetic" lifestyle just by swimming in the ocean like really I get the idea behind lifestyles, but the system was just poorly implemented.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I wouldn't say it hampers my game, but it's really annoying when I get asked lifestyle questions about NPC's. Why would I care if Mort Goth should like or dislike the fitness buff, or if Nancy Landgraab likes or dislikes dancing?
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    The People Person and Close-Knit lifestyles are the worst. They both cause a lot of problems for my Sims. I have a lot of characters with the People Person lifestyle, and they are often getting negative buffs because the relationship with somebody they know is lower than it used to, and they even develop bitterness towads that Sim.

Recently a couple of loner siblings with the close-knit lifestyle were both sufferent severe tension because they knew too many people. It was terrible. It was a huge buff, of +5 stress (or is it +5 tense? same thing.) ! And the tension was so bad that it was causing them to say and do things that added other negative buffs , like embarrassed and sadness and anger, to stack on top of the +5. I was a little worried that the extreme emotions they were going through might kill one of them. So I resorted to using a cheat from MCCC to give them instant happy. It got rid of some of the other negative buffs, but there was absolutely no way to get rid of that +5 stress.

I assume that when the finally get over that on their own, they will have "people person" lifestyle -- and start getting stressed out when all those people they barely know start dropping off their friend lists! But then they'll be close-knit again, and the negative buffs from that are hellish. :(

SO that was it for me. I went into game options to get rid of those annoying lifestyles. BUT they still had the nasty +5 stress buff! :(

Single and Lovin It is nasty. It made a couple of newlyweds pretty miserable for a long time, so I had to make them avoid each other, and cheat on each other, to make them happy again. (It wasn't as bad as that Close-Knit one though!)

And the indoor and outdoor ones have caused a lot of trouble for my sims. They'll be outdoorsy, spend a couple days doing something indoors, get negative buffs, then they flip immediately into an indoor sim. Wait, they have an outdoors trait, and they are now an indoors sim because they spent a couple days working on an indoorsy project? What's up with lifestyles changing immediately to an exact opposite lifestyle?
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm…

I love using lifestyles for my single-sim-households. I feel like I make it into a bigger part of their personality and it is fun to try different ones.

When I rotate to a household with several sims I find lifestyles to be distracting from the things I want to do. Then I just remove them as soon as they show up.

This suits me at least. Have several single sim households where adding a lifestyle really made it more fun to play.
  • Options
    skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    Just recentely I've taken to removing annoying lifestlyes with a cheat as it got rather annoying that one of my sims who enjoys keeping fit and going for a jog with his dog can't also sit and write a book without being tense or bored because he has the 'loves outdoors' and 'energetic. lifestyles. For some reason, I never thought to remove the system entirely though.

I get what they were trying to do but in real life, these things don't always cancel each other out.