Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pronouns are coming to the base game?!

Comments

• Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't like the way one of the announcements said that the game will be completely gender neutral. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I really don't want the game to just use "they/them" pronouns only in terms of dialogue. If you have the choice of pronouns, I want to be able to use male and female pronouns for my male and female Sims. I don't want them to be referred to by anything else if I already stated what gender they were. If I wanted gender neutral Sims, I would just make them that way with the customization thing. Then again, like I said, I'm probably misunderstanding what they said in that recap/announcement thing recently. Maybe they meant completely inclusive instead of completely gender neutral. I took it more as they meant that everyone would still be referred to as "they/them" even though the option to choose pronouns will be present in the game.

Do any of you know what they meant exactly? I just got confused by it.
    Post edited by talongirl6 on
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,333 EA Community Manager
    Hiya,

For no reason at all I think now is a great time to remind everyone of our forum rules and guidelines.

0hCpjJ1.gif
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Please! Thanks Cade!
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited January 2022
    Of course the story that you shared is a more personal one but resonates with me on various levels. A detail that particularly moved me is -interestingly enough- the one about Disney Robin Hood. He was my hero too!! In fact, he still is! I can’t say I ever wanted to marry him haha, but I definitely wanted to be him!

Back when I was a kid, my mother ( a dressmaker! ) made me a green Robin Hoodie onto which my dad painted Robin Hood’s foxy portrait. While all the cool kids in their Optimus Prime T-shirts went out to scour the streets on their skate boards, I got myself lost in the woods (or some random neighborhood ) on my bike, proudly wearing my green Robin Hoodie - hood pulled over my head- daydreaming about all the heroic deeds I would perform some day in the future. (Sorry that day has yet to arrive 😆).

Sure, Transformers are cool, but Robin Hood is something else. Most of my childhood involved me pedaling around on my bike with my friend , the boy from next door who’s father didn’t allow us to play together due to their religion, but we met up in secret anyway. We were the “two weirdos” who always got lost in the woods and around streams and got chased by gangs of angry wild kids with wooden sticks who lived nearby.
    My childhood also involved me getting pretty good at drawing foxes because I absolutely 🐲🐲🐲🐲 at archery and dressmaking. Especially the latter. 😅

I think that in the end the foxes saved my life.

Another one for team Robin Hood! That film spawned my childhood interest in anthropomorphic animals and by a roundabout way my interest in fantasy due to my discovery of the Redwall novels, my interest in foxes (I was super into them from the age of 10 to my early 20s) and my interest in history.
    Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    @MeowchaFrappe Thank you so much for your nice words. <3

I want it to be known that I don't have any hard feelings towards those who challenge my perspectives. I know that usually, when people speak from the heat of emotion rather than objectivity, it means that the topic is close to them and there may be something else going on under the surface that we don't see. And it's not uncommon for us as human beings to jump to conclusions or make the occasional snap judgements. I think it's important to be able to debate, challenge, and discuss respectfully some of the more difficult topics because how else are we going to gain an understanding of each other? I actually like to be challenged sometimes because it invites more discussion and opportunities for insight (on both sides) and I love the Sims forums because we are always reminded to be respectful and that's a very important factor for civilized communication.

Anyway, I do really hope that the game evolves to have extensive customization so that every player can create the world that they want. I know that the devs work really hard to find a balance that allows for all groups to have that freedom. It's going to be a long process, I think. And I also hope that we get some new and interesting gameplay in the meantime that can take our minds off of the things that divide us and give us some more common topics to talk about. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Hiya,

For no reason at all I think now is a great time to remind everyone of our forum rules and guidelines.

0hCpjJ1.gif

@EA_Cade are you trying to scare people with Skeletor? :open_mouth: I'm shocked. I don't feel safe now. I would like to report the bullying and threatening fist of Skeletor from @EA_Cade to @EA_Cade .
    • If you see any toxic behavior such as harassing, bullying, or threatening, always report it through the dedicated report tool or directly to a Community Manager.
    • Don't bully or use toxic behavior. It's against the rules and is a one-stop-shop to getting banned from the forums. Your gaming account will also be reviewed. We count on you to keep toxicity out of our community. Personal defamation, harassing, bullying, threatening, offending, or any harmful behavior towards others is not acceptable - ever.

So, how long will you have to ban yourself for? :wink::innocent:

This is a safe place here. You should try again with images from my favourite 1980's cartoon ... Care Bears :heart:

Ancient Roman philosophical question of the day: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who guards the guardians? Who watches the watchers? Who moderates the moderators ... so that they do not become tyrants like Skeletor? :worried:
  • Options
    Elliandre wrote: »
    Hiya,

0hCpjJ1.gif

@EA_Cade are you trying to scare people with Skeletor? :open_mouth: I'm shocked. I don't feel safe now. I would like to report the bullying and threatening fist of Skeletor from @EA_Cade to @EA_Cade .
    • If you see any toxic behavior such as harassing, bullying, or threatening, always report it through the dedicated report tool or directly to a Community Manager.
    • Don't bully or use toxic behavior. It's against the rules and is a one-stop-shop to getting banned from the forums. Your gaming account will also be reviewed. We count on you to keep toxicity out of our community. Personal defamation, harassing, bullying, threatening, offending, or any harmful behavior towards others is not acceptable - ever.

So, how long will you have to ban yourself for? :wink::innocent:

This is a safe place here. You should try again with images from my favourite 1980's cartoon ... Care Bears :heart:

Ancient Roman philosophical question of the day: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who guards the guardians? Who watches the watchers? Who moderates the moderators ... so that they do not become tyrants like Skeletor? :worried:

First of all, Skeletor is bae. Although I never watched Care Bears (as a child of the 80's I know I failed you) I was more of a Gummy Bears kid (does anyone even remember that show besides me?).

I do have mad love for Grizzly Bears though.

iCHPzl3.gif

Look at his little murder snoot. 😊
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022

First of all, Skeletor is bae. Although I never watched Care Bears (as a child of the 80's I know I failed you) I was more of a Gummy Bears kid (does anyone even remember that show besides me?).

iCHPzl3.gif

I watched Gummy Bears. I even had a cuddly toy of one of them but I don't remember his name. I also watched Masters of the Universe and Care Bears. I was into bears as a little kid so I had quite a few bears at one time. Do you remember Teddy Ruxpin? I had one of those toys too. And werebears.
  • Options
    @EA_Cade Ahh, Gummy Bears was a great cartoon, I loved that one too haha. :smiley: Also a great candy. :yum:
  • Options

I watched Gummy Bears. I even had a cuddly toy of one of them but I don't remember his name. I also watched Masters of the Universe and Care Bears. I was into bears as a little kid so I had quite a few bears at one time. Do you remember Teddy Ruxpin? I had one of those toys too. And werebears.

Oh Teddy Ruxpin! :heart: I remember that one. The 80's had awesome cartoons.

• Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member

iCHPzl3.gif

Pretty sure I saw Gummi Bears on Disney+. I haven’t watched any episodes yet, but sure takes me back.

The Ewoks cartoon was my big thing because I have always been a huge Star Wars fan and it’s hard not to say no to murderbears.

Teddy Ruxpin was kinda scary, but I remember Alf fondly.
  • Options

Oh Teddy Ruxpin! :heart: I remember that one. The 80's had awesome cartoons.

Definitely. I've got nephews so I've seen some of the modern shows and they just feel weird in comparison. Once I saw In the Night Garden and was utterly baffled.
  • Options
    Oh man, Teddy Ruxpin takes me back. I spent a lot of time with a Lite Brite as well.

I can still smell that black paper with the punch pattern on it. 😂

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hop on my Big Wheel and head on home for the night. My mom gets nervous if I'm out when the streetlights come on.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Oh man, Teddy Ruxpin takes me back. I spent a lot of time with a Lite Brite as well.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hop on my Big Wheel and head on home for the night. My mom gets nervous if I'm out when the streetlights come on.

I found my Lite Brite in storage. Still works! The Etch-a-Sketch was sadly a victim of time though.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I still watch gummy bears.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options

Oh my gosh Lite Brite was amazing. Have a safe drive home @EA_Cade big wheels keep on turning.

@Haflinger I love the ewok stuffies in the Batuu pack haha. I always wanted one when I was a kid.

@Mariefoxprice83 I made all my nieces and nephews watch 80's cartoons when I took care of them lol. I didn't like their generation of cartoons either, although Dora the Explorer was cute
  • Options
    @Mariefoxprice83 I made all my nieces and nephews watch 80's cartoons when I took care of them lol. I didn't like their generation of cartoons either, although Dora the Explorer was cute

My youngest nephew likes a weird show called Number Blocks and used to be into Peppa Pig. The older one is more into superheroes but liked Paw Patrol when he was younger. I don't think either of them would be interested in 80s shows even if I was still interested though. And my Netflix list is pretty long already...
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    First of all, Skeletor is bae.
    I have to agree Skeletor is jacked, too bad he's constantly trying to murder his nephew He-Man rather than corrupting him.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I now feel bored! Well... I guess it's too late. Instead of waiting for a game pack trailer this month, Imma go head and get me some pronouns first for the update patch this week
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited January 2022
    LiELF wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Thank you so much for your kind words. That's very humbling coming from such an impressive story weaver. But, of course, you are a member of Robin's merry outlaw band in the hidden forest. I thought I knew you from somewhere. ;) I'm sure you could get better at archery with some practice (and dressmaking too, if you really desired to), so never fear! I finally took my first professional archery class a few years ago before the pandemic started and I was flabbergasted to discover that I'm a very good shot with the right sized bow. I really expected to be horrible for some reason but I actually got a bullseye on my third arrow. Now that was a shining moment. I took pictures, lol. Of course, now I'm thinking it might be worth taking up some fencing and rapier dueling to see how I do with that. Hmmm... Think we can get some of those activities in the game?

Third Arrow Bulls Eye? Of course I remember you! Judging by your archers talents I believe you will have no problem handling sabres and rapiers and all things swords! You shall go down in history as one of the greatest of our merry outcast warriors! Robin would be proud! 🏹

Whenever I find myself in battle and someone hands me a weapon, I’d contemplate the thing for a moment and then throw it aside to pursue the fight with my bare hands. Chances are I'd injure myself less. I'd have no problem dodging oncoming canon balls though.

As for working with needles, those are dangerous tools but I might give it another go. I’ve learned how to sew buttons back onto my shirts since I tend to lose them occasionally, however, me trying to mend or sew anything beyond that would resemble something that belongs in Patchy the Scarecrow’s rag shed. And not in a cute way.

Nevertheless, I agree! Practice makes perfect!

*raises tankard of gummiberry juice*
    AND LONG LIVE THE SKULK!
  • Options
    ImDragoneImDragone Posts: 76 Member
    I can change gender. But, I prefer to be a male.
    I am very happy about the new feature of picking our own pronouns.
    My Sims are like Hermes. They can gender-shift at the mirror. :) So, it only makes perfect sense to get to pick my pronouns, too.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I do hope that it's not a doing-away with he/him and she/her but I can't imagine that being the case because valid as they/them is, it isn't everyone, and we don't want to obliterate identities, but make room for everyone.

Not many people know that the waltz was, when it first emerged, considered a shocking, vulgar, fad of youth, that ought, for moral decency, to be stopped before it spread. To us, even to our parents and grandparents, the waltz was an old, somewhat stuffy, very upright traditional dance that we were made to learn, so as to look decorous at formal events, and to appear 'cultured and civilized' in contrast to the dances invented by youth of the day, that were, like the waltz in its infancy, looked down upon by elders.

The point is, everything anyone can point to as 'the way it has always been done' has in fact, not always been done that way, and was likely a shocking new invention in its time (and probably looked askance at) which means that antiquity is not good evidence of innate merit.

Stating pronouns is an act of courtesy in a world that now recognizes that people's pronouns aren't always what you'd assume them to be, since most of us don't want to presume wrongly, and people are free to express their gender more authentically now, than in the past.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Anyone remember "thou"? Well, he/she might suffer the same fate.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    kusurusu wrote: »
    Anyone remember "thou"? Well, he/she might suffer the same fate.

I doubt it...? I mean, many folks still use he/she. I'm a she.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    In my area of Yorkshire, older folks still use thee and thou. And they use 'while' to mean 'until', like 'I'm working while five', which was confusing at first.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top