Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should they add "Food" in the "Likes and Dislikes" panel?

nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
Just thinking about this while my sims eat at a restaurant that played Classical music. My sim thought he despised such music, so I gave him that dislike. I think it would be fun as well if sims were to decide whether they like or dislike certain dishes.

For example, your sim family gathers to the table and eats Spaghetti for the nth time in your game. Sonny Jim loves Spaghetti, but Billie Jane abhors it. What is Mama Chrissy to do with her children? Should Mama Chrissy cook spaghetti and then another dish just to accommodate Billie Jane?

Another example, your sim is out on a date. They eat and your sim decides that the Pasta Primevera is Pasta Yucky-very. Should your sim plow through his dish? Or should he ask for the dish to be taken away and order another dish. Or ask a refund. Or kick up a scene and harangue the chef and proceed to get beaten by the buff chef.

Final example, your sim is stuck at an island, and the gods of the Sim Universe had cursed him with "Simple Living" and "Off-The-Grid". Their only way to survive is to fish for their food. They catch one, cook it and decide they hate fish. But they have to force themselves to eat it or risk getting a visit from Grim.

Lots of story potential with this. Of course you can always uncheck them from CAS, but it would be a lot of fun to watch your sim build their tastebuds or lack thereof.

EDIT: Pop-ups may be annoying with some players. So I think if the devs expand the Likes and Dislikes, they should also add a Gameplay option that disables the pop-ups.
TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
Post edited by nastyjman on

Should they add "Food" in the "Likes and Dislikes" panel? 194 votes

Yes, with extra toppings please.
90%
auroraael14Nh6650Kita5399Sara1010PGoth583GalacticGalIcewolfbandit5alexspoom13SimmervilleAlexairudolphaJueJueMi9shaoscarMelisendreIsb917SusanaLeotePuddinroybabajayneelanorbreton 175 votes
No, I'm quite full.
9%
overonTheSpotted_CfreindlylolGlimmer50BabykittyjadeZeldaboy180catmando830musteniCattyBetsySeashoreLiviaEllupelluelluIsharellNate_Whiplash1VeeDubtalongirl6Tempest329LynnPlayz1Heathertibbodd_moths 19 votes

Comments

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2021
    Absolutely yes. But there’s such a huge list of foods, I wouldn’t want to scroll through that every time. I think it makes more sense to have each dish appear as your sim eats them. I mean, how would they know whether or not they liked something unless they had eaten it, anyway?

ETA: Just to clarify, I don’t want these as pop-ups. I just want the foods to appear on the list of preferences as my sim tastes them.
    Post edited by babajayne on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I'm not sure about the popups because we have so many dishes but I'd love to be able to select favorite foods in CAS.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    @babajayne @simgirl1010 Yeah, that's a concern, too. Probably why they had held back on adding Food in the Likes and Dislikes panel. But at the onset, I was already overwhelmed with the choices for Music Genre and Hobbies/Activities. So initially, I ignored the Likes and Dislikes until the game asked if my sim liked Classical music.

Maybe they can have multiple categories like "Food", "Gourmet Food" and "Restaurant Food." Or "Cooked Food" and "Fruits and Vegetables".
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2021
    And some fries.

We have a lot of dishes in the game though, maybe their likes/dislikes should be categorized into different types of food.
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    No, I'm quite full.
    I think they shouldn't add that feature. It just seems like a very tedious thing to have to keep track of so that your sim doesn't eat something they don't like and then fall into a negative moodlet.
    @Heathertibb Maybe they should add a new option in the Gameplay Settings that enables or disables these Likes/Dislikes pop-ups.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited November 2021
    No, I'm quite full.
    I'm quite happy with the vegetarian, lactose intolerant and child of the ocean traits limiting what sim can eat and giving them moodlets. Quality of the food and refined palate give moodlets as well. Also foodies get moodlets from drinks, so overall I don't feel like I need extra content there. Favourite foods sounds cute, I'm just unsure about adding more food related moodlets.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I already have a Sim in my household who cannot stand Fruit Cake. Me? I love it if it's made well. It can be dry as dust if overbaked, for instance. And you have to soak it in Rum or some other such libation during preparation to get the right flavoring, too. (I have had Gourmet Fruit Cake.) Love the stuff, personally. But Erik cannot stand it. His stomach gets all in a wamble and he complains, "what is it I just ate?"
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    edited November 2021
    No, I'm quite full.
    nastyjman wrote: »
    @Heathertibb Maybe they should add a new option in the Gameplay Settings that enables or disables these Likes/Dislikes pop-ups.

That's a good idea. If I remember correctly, didn't they have food likes/dislikes in the Sims 2?
    edited November 2021
    musteni wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with the vegetarian, lactose intolerant and child of the ocean traits limiting what sim can eat and giving them moodlets. Quality of the food and refined palate give moodlets as well. Also foodies get moodlets from drinks, so overall I don't feel like I need extra content there. Favourite foods sounds cute, I'm just unsure about adding more food related moodlets.

I was thinking about that too. But it could add a dimension to Vegetarian sims who Dislikes Tofurky because it reminds them of a turkey.

To add, maybe also have a sim who likes Ice Cream, but is cursed because of being Lactose Intolerant (just like me). Maybe have a new item called "Lactose Aid" to help your Sim.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that having a "Like and Dislike" for Food would give cooking some meaning. Right now, I'm just randomly selecting what food to cook for my Sim. A Like or Dislike could funnel me to cooking those dishes consistently.
    Post edited by nastyjman on
  • maplesyrup19maplesyrup19 Posts: 3 New Member
    Eh, I don't use that feature much. But I think it would be nice for others who use the feature.
  • j_nellyj_nelly Posts: 20 Member
    I voted yes but can get why it would be hard to keep track of to make sure your sim doesn't eat something they don't like but i like the idea of them having a fave
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Some likes for their favorites (huge fan of mac n cheese, personally) and a few for foods they detest (brussel sprouts, YUCK!). Don't see a need to list everything on the menu.
    The cake is a lie
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes! Food likes and dislikes are such a common thing. We already have a little bit in-game already with the fruitcake love/hate. That still cracks me up. (Fruitcake is yucky). ;)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I have a rare few sims that have specific favorite or hated foods, for most it is a broad category like "seafood", because with all my sims that's easier to remember. I'd be perfectly okay with broad categories being used for Likes and Dislikes: Pasta, Veggies, Fast food, Chicken...

(I'd also love for my Hates Gardening sims to stop also hating eating fresh produce, but that's off-topic.)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes please. I was very disappointed that it wasn't included.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Also, take off the 20 limited Likes & Dislikes so that we can pick more if we want to.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited November 2021
    I think they shouldn't add that feature. It just seems like a very tedious thing to have to keep track of so that your sim doesn't eat something they don't like and then fall into a negative moodlet.

Yes, but you don't have to have every single sim like or dislike every single food. But it makes sense that a sim might have one particular favorite food and/or one dish that they particularly loathe.

And once again, this is one of those scenarios where if you wouldn't like to use it, then you could just... not use it. It would be easy enough to avoid, and the rest of us who do want it would have the option.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes, but I'd do it under categories instead of individual dishes. Like...
    • (Ethnicity) Italian/French/Mexican/Chinese etc.
    • (Protein Pref) Carnivore/Pescatarian/Vegetarian/Vegan etc.
    • (Dietary Restrictions) Nut allergy/Seafood allergy/Latose-intolerant/Gluten intolerant etc.
    • (Flavour Profiles) Sweet/Sour/Bitter/Salty/Umami.

So someone could be a veggie, with a penchant for French food, no allergies/intolerances and a sweet tooth. Or a meat-loving carnivore who loves Mexican but hates Italian, has a nut allergy and is all about the umami.

This system would also transfer current dietary traits to preferences and free up a trait slot.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    nastyjman wrote: »
    Just thinking about this while my sims eat at a restaurant that played Classical music. My sim thought he despised such music, so I gave him that dislike. I think it would be fun as well if sims were to decide whether they like or dislike certain dishes.

For example, your sim family gathers to the table and eats Spaghetti for the nth time in your game. Sonny Jim loves Spaghetti, but Billie Jane abhors it. What is Mama Chrissy to do with her children? Should Mama Chrissy cook spaghetti and then another dish just to accommodate Billie Jane?

Another example, your sim is out on a date. They eat and your sim decides that the Pasta Primevera is Pasta Yucky-very. Should your sim plow through his dish? Or should he ask for the dish to be taken away and order another dish. Or ask a refund. Or kick up a scene and harangue the chef and proceed to get beaten by the buff chef.

Final example, your sim is stuck at an island, and the gods of the Sim Universe had cursed him with "Simple Living" and "Off-The-Grid". Their only way to survive is to fish for their food. They catch one, cook it and decide they hate fish. But they have to force themselves to eat it or risk getting a visit from Grim.

Lots of story potential with this. Of course you can always uncheck them from CAS, but it would be a lot of fun to watch your sim build their tastebuds or lack thereof.

Maybe they should cook their own food.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Yes, I would love this so much!
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,110 Member
    I'm not sure about the popups because we have so many dishes but I'd love to be able to select favorite foods in CAS.

Yeah, exactly this. There would be SO many popups. It would be awesome in CAS though.
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    Yes, but I’d be happy if it worked like the favorite drink. The game could just randomly assign it, then my sim could go to the fridge and “make favorite meal.”
  • EllGeorgianaEllGeorgiana Posts: 13 New Member
    Yes 🙌 I would love to see this however I think it would need to be more simplified to avoid it impacting gameplay excessively. For example having specific categories for certain types of food and your Sim picks their likes and dislikes based on some of the dishes included on a set ‘menu’. It would be amazing to see a subtle impact within gameplay if these aren’t chosen for example if my Sim is always making a certain type of food this then becomes one of their preferences and they prefer making this over other dishes and vice verse if there is a type of food they avoid. I wouldn’t want constant pop ups whenever my sim makes a new dish asking whether they like or dislike it therefore I think if the foods were grouped in simple categories which just give a brief overview on what is included in this menu. Hope this makes sense 😌
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 702 Member
    @EmmaVane I really like your suggestions.