Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modern Menswear Kit: Available Now!

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    I may pass on this kit, I wouldn't be bothered if they actually put in kilts instead of the skirts, or another type of skirts actually based on a culture where men wear a skirt-like outfit.
    When it comes to getting more male clothes, this isn't what most people want, most people just want more clothes for males in general. The kits before this one had pretty good clothing for both genders, more for girls, but it added more for men. If I can remove the skirt, or make it longer to look like a kilt, I will pass on this one.
    That is feedback I found with multiple content creators is that gender neutral clothing is still a huge issue with mesh glitches, so I do understand that. With female Sims only having crop tops and mini shirt and high heel focus, not many gender neutral options for them either. It is just stereotype runway model only without even considering different body types or fashion choices for anything but the cheerleader/trophy wife look. Plus elders, teens, children, and toddlers don't have many options either. So I think EA is still deeply failing at LGBT options for all ages, body types, and cultures. So I can see why another European/American pack feels like a poor effort at representation for all people. Some of them described it as a slap in the face and would have rather had unisex clothing patched. Tops with the kit even on the guys are hanging poorly compared to the real life clothing too so that doesn't help. Like thanks for highlighting how meshes other than for females are done poorly in the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I may pass on this kit, I wouldn't be bothered if they actually put in kilts instead of the skirts, or another type of skirts actually based on a culture where men wear a skirt-like outfit.
    When it comes to getting more male clothes, this isn't what most people want, most people just want more clothes for males in general. The kits before this one had pretty good clothing for both genders, more for girls, but it added more for men. If I can remove the skirt, or make it longer to look like a kilt, I will pass on this one.
    That is feedback I found with multiple content creators is that gender neutral clothing is still a huge issue with mesh glitches, so I do understand that. With female Sims only having crop tops and mini shirt and high heel focus, not many gender neutral options for them either. It is just stereotype runway model only without even considering different body types or fashion choices for anything but the cheerleader/trophy wife look. Plus elders, teens, children, and toddlers don't have many options either. So I think EA is still deeply failing at LGBT options for all ages, body types, and cultures. So I can see why another European/American pack feels like a poor effort at representation for all people. Some of them described it as a slap in the face and would have rather had unisex clothing patched. Tops with the kit even on the guys are hanging poorly compared to the real life clothing too so that doesn't help. Like thanks for highlighting how meshes other than for females are done poorly in the game.
    Gender neutral clothing seems to usually favor one gender over the other, despite if being meant for both. I haven't tried it before, but those who make a Sim gender neutral, or male passing on female, or female passing for male, the result looks weird in the CAS. I wish there were more options for elders, teens, children, and toddlers. Toddlers and Children are the closest to generic we have, because wile some outfits do favor one gender, some outfits can be used for both. I think that isn't gender neutral, just not wanting to create more outfits for those age groups. I also don't really like the European/American look either, I bought the two previous style kits in my game, because they were something different.
    The looks to me look more like, "look at us, we put I guy in a skirt, progression!" Not taking into account what the LGBT people want, or people like me, who just want more options for the guys.
    A few years ago Sims 2 had an H&M stuff pack that had more stylish at the time clothing for females and males. The females had at least 10 pages of more stuff, while the males just have about 6.
    I feel like this it is missing the point on all accounts in a way, which is why I plan to pass on it overall.

• Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member

That's right. I mostly play with male sims, and I'm looking for CC men clothing due to lack of EA base items for men. Even I don't feel like buying more packs because other packs don't have any good qualities for men either. There are tons of good items for women, but I really want more clothes for every day life rather than specially designed goods.

• Options
    Jeansoo wrote: »

That's right. I mostly play with male sims, and I'm looking for CC men clothing due to lack of EA base items for men. Even I don't feel like buying more packs because other packs don't have any good qualities for men either. There are tons of good items for women, but I really want more clothes for every day life rather than specially designed goods.

Sadly, it isn't just the Sims 4 that is guilty of lacking Men's clothing. A while back when Sims 2 came out, they collaborated with H&M fashion. The female Sims fashion was at least 10 pages, while male Sims got a measly 6 pages.
    I have most of my Sims 4 on my PS4, with just the base game on my PC, so on my PS4 I can't look for CC on it because that option is blocked. I sadly have to rely on packs to usually give my male Sims an option.
    I wish the game gave us kilts, or skirt based outfits based on other cultures for the male Sims if they wanted to include them in the "men's wear" kit.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited November 2021

Sadly, it isn't just the Sims 4 that is guilty of lacking Men's clothing. A while back when Sims 2 came out, they collaborated with H&M fashion. The female Sims fashion was at least 10 pages, while male Sims got a measly 6 pages.
    I have most of my Sims 4 on my PS4, with just the base game on my PC, so on my PS4 I can't look for CC on it because that option is blocked. I sadly have to rely on packs to usually give my male Sims an option.
    I wish the game gave us kilts, or skirt based outfits based on other cultures for the male Sims if they wanted to include them in the "men's wear" kit.

I agree, but let’s look at it this way:
    I walk into my nearest H&M fashion store:

Ground floor: Huge. Fashion dedicated to ladies. It’s also full of ladies.
    First floor: Medium. Partitioned. Sharing is caring. In this case, menswear and kidswear share, although the escalator and the kids stuff take up most of that dedicated space. In other shops this could be…stairs and homeware. But you get the gist of it. Plus the floor’s still full of ladies.

It’s also confusing: I’m like “wait wait, did dudes shrink?! These little Kermit the Frog y-fronts don’t even fit around my foot!”

And then I realize I don’t wear y-fronts. I just like Kermit.
    And then I realize I’m in the kids section and the menswear section is a couple of yards ahead. Behind that wall over there.
    I’m also the only dude here. Oh no, wait, there’s another one staring into wild space. Then I realize he’s with the lady who’s looking for a little dress for their tantrum throwing little animal of a daughter (quick quick, buy her a toy they must be around here somewhere!) and that he was just dragged along. I know this because he’s carrying all the bags. Did you know husbands make great pack mules?

Here’s your average guy shopping for the latest fashion:

“Alright, I’ve got jeans, 2 pairs of leisure pants, 3 shirts, a decent sweater, a hoody, jacket, lots of (superhero) socks. 1 new pair of shoes. And underpants. K that’ll do for the next decade. Or two.
    Oh LOOK, Mary, there’s a 10% discount on that LEGO model of the Millennium Falcon! It’s $900 instead of $1000! I’d better get that right away! We’ll never be able to buy it for that price again!”

And Bingo, I JUST realized what happened and why we’re getting a kit full of mini school girl skirts dedicated to men. Like myself, those designers also got mixed up when they were trying to look for menswear inspiration in H&M. On the first floor. 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    This is probably the first kit I wont be buying TBH. I just dont really like the look of most of the pieces, I dont see any of my Sims wearing them (unless I create some sort of high fashionista male sim!).
    Besides which if I ever want to dress my male sims in more varied outfits then I just hop on over to the female CAS items!
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    My thoughts:
    1.) I've seen some folks criticize the choice of putting this content behind a paywall vs free dlc especially in regards to progressivity angle. But when you think about how a lot of folks had a fit about the hijab inclusion; it unfortunately makes far too much sense to put it behind an optional buy kit. Either way, Maxis can't win so they went the route of least resistance.

2.) The pack seems fine, but ultimately it's poor timed. They should've prioritized a pack featuring masculine clothes for men first. I understand women are a good chunk of the fashion-focused audience, but men have been chronically neglected when it comes to CAS stuff. Not to mention, the focus on runway-y/couture esque designs for this kit is...disappointing. Like a lot of these are a mix of too plain (but still that over priced couture look) or overdesigned. It ultimately boils down to preference, however.

3.) I think what would've gone a long way is going into the game for clothes we already have and fixing out a bunch of the buggy meshes when you try to put on clothes that aren't the same frame as the clothing preference as an update. Even if they don't have the time/resources to fix all of them, any amount of fixes for stuff like the triangle boobs or awkward clothing weights on the "cross dress" clothes that are already in game would've been great. It won't earn them money, sure. But good will goes along way and would've been a great patch update before the release of this kit.

I'm not really into kits much. I do like the idea of fashion kits but I feel like the choice of this theme, while not bad, feels poorly timed cause what the game needs more of is masculine male clothes. Culturally it may be more progressive to include men in styles deemed more feminine, but in a game where feminine fashion/hair/CAS content is overwhelming--it feels frustrating.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2021

First floor: Medium. Partitioned. Sharing is caring. In this case, menswear and kidswear share, although the escalator and the kids stuff take up most of that dedicated space. In other shops this could be…stairs and homeware. But you get the gist of it. Plus the floor’s still full of ladies.

It’s also confusing: I’m like “wait wait, did dudes shrink?! These little Kermit the Frog y-fronts don’t even fit around my foot!”

And then I realize I’m in the kids section and the menswear section is a couple of yards ahead. Behind that wall over there.
    I’m also the only dude here. Oh no, wait, there’s another one staring into wild space. Then I realize he’s with the lady who’s looking for a little dress for their tantrum throwing little animal of a daughter (quick quick, buy her a toy they must be around here somewhere!) and that he was just dragged along. I know this because he’s carrying all the bags. Did you know husbands make great pack mules?

“Alright, I’ve got jeans, 2 pairs of leisure pants, 3 shirts, a decent sweater, a hoody, jacket, lots of (superhero) socks. 1 new pair of shoes. And underpants. K that’ll do for the next decade. Or two.
    Oh LOOK, Mary, there’s a 10% discount on that LEGO model of the Millennium Falcon! It’s $900 instead of $1000! I’d better get that right away! We’ll never be able to buy it for that price again!”

And Bingo, I JUST realized what happened and why we’re getting a kit full of mini school girl skirts dedicated to men. Like myself, those designers also got mixed up when they were trying to look for menswear inspiration in H&M. On the first floor. 🤦🏻‍♂️

You summed it up perfectly.

This is why I shop my clothes at other shops like Jack & Jones, Brothers and Dressman here in Scandinavia.

Hopefully Maxis will find their way to shops like those some day.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    [Did you know husbands make great pack mules?

Lol *looks around guiltily at husband carrying all my bags*

Having lived with 3 guys for the last 20 odd years (hubby and 2 sons), I can say it is difficult to get them interested in buying themselves clothes. Our youngest is slightly more enthusiastic, but not by much. But spot a new gadget and the enthusiasm shoots through the roof :D
  • Options
    Gender neutral clothing seems to usually favor one gender over the other, despite if being meant for both. I haven't tried it before, but those who make a Sim gender neutral, or male passing on female, or female passing for male, the result looks weird in the CAS. I wish there were more options for elders, teens, children, and toddlers. Toddlers and Children are the closest to generic we have, because wile some outfits do favor one gender, some outfits can be used for both. I think that isn't gender neutral, just not wanting to create more outfits for those age groups. I also don't really like the European/American look either, I bought the two previous style kits in my game, because they were something different.
    The looks to me look more like, "look at us, we put I guy in a skirt, progression!" Not taking into account what the LGBT people want, or people like me, who just want more options for the guys.
    A few years ago Sims 2 had an H&M stuff pack that had more stylish at the time clothing for females and males. The females had at least 10 pages of more stuff, while the males just have about 6.
    I feel like this it is missing the point on all accounts in a way, which is why I plan to pass on it overall.
    Depends. With work outfits especially for farming it is gender neutral. I noticed big issue with the hiijab brought up is if women should dress differently from men for worship. I dress up myself for that in either a skirt or dress knee length or longer. That is what is bothering me most about the feedback with the pack is that so many were against the hiijab making women look different from men, yet with this pack they are against it too. Like in what situations is dressing gender neutral ok with them or not because it is getting really confusing as of late what is considered appropriate for what people wear around the world or not. It can vary by region and being part Irish and Scottish myself kilts well both genders wear. Even seen British royalty wear kilts so with it not being a London thing for the kit doesn't logically work either.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

It is like that in most stores, you go to Walmart, Target, Shopping malls, and the majority if them are dedicated to Woman's fashion, or kids. There is usually a very small section dedicated to men, or only a few stores dedicated to men/ I mentioned H&M, because that is a stuff pack for Sims 2, where you were limited on what you can mix and match, and like a real life store very few were dedicated to men. Sadly, I have had a job, where the wives try on all the clothes, and the husbands pay for it, and carry it. Also, if i ever threw a tantrum in a store as a kid, my mom would have left, and I would have been grounded for that.
    I hate shopping for clothes, I will just grab a couple pair of jeans, shirts, and whatever I need. I just go to a couple clothing stores, grab what I want, and leave.
    That kind of stuff blows my mind, sales aren't always that great. Plus, I don't want to spend money on a Millennium Falcon, which I know you are using as an example, but with how Star Wars is going right now, I don't want to give them any money.
    Yeah, they were probably like, "Hey, this will do, it is in the men's wear." The skirts just really throw me off, since they are school girl skirts. In real life boys have worn school girl skirts, but that was out of protest. Also, most skirts for men in other cultures have a slight masculine edge to them.

• Options
    Depends. With work outfits especially for farming it is gender neutral. I noticed big issue with the hiijab brought up is if women should dress differently from men for worship. I dress up myself for that in either a skirt or dress knee length or longer. That is what is bothering me most about the feedback with the pack is that so many were against the hiijab making women look different from men, yet with this pack they are against it too. Like in what situations is dressing gender neutral ok with them or not because it is getting really confusing as of late what is considered appropriate for what people wear around the world or not. It can vary by region and being part Irish and Scottish myself kilts well both genders wear. Even seen British royalty wear kilts so with it not being a London thing for the kit doesn't logically work either.
    Work outfits are pretty much the only gender neutral for most jobs. Farming is pretty gender neutral, and a lot of customer service jobs have a standard look for both genders, which is a work shirt, a hat, and maybe an apron.
    Sometimes, I honestly think some fans don't know what they want. They want the hijab, which is specifically for women, but those same people complain about the skirts for men, when they probably asked for them before. I think my biggest issue isn't really the idea of skirts for men, but the fact they are school girl skirts. Most men's skirts still have a slight masculine edge to them. In real life boys have worn skits, but it was mostly out of protest to something. I know Prince William, and the men of the royal family have also worn kilts, but there is a big difference between the kilts, and the school girl look. Even the boys wearing the skirts in real life, the length of the skirt was to their knees, or close to their knees. I think my issue is mostly the school girl look, and the length of it as well.
    The pack just doesn't really fit really anywhere, whether it is American fashion, or other fashion.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Work outfits are pretty much the only gender neutral for most jobs. Farming is pretty gender neutral, and a lot of customer service jobs have a standard look for both genders, which is a work shirt, a hat, and maybe an apron.
    Sometimes, I honestly think some fans don't know what they want. They want the hijab, which is specifically for women, but those same people complain about the skirts for men, when they probably asked for them before. I think my biggest issue isn't really the idea of skirts for men, but the fact they are school girl skirts. Most men's skirts still have a slight masculine edge to them. In real life boys have worn skits, but it was mostly out of protest to something. I know Prince William, and the men of the royal family have also worn kilts, but there is a big difference between the kilts, and the school girl look. Even the boys wearing the skirts in real life, the length of the skirt was to their knees, or close to their knees. I think my issue is mostly the school girl look, and the length of it as well.
    The pack just doesn't really fit really anywhere, whether it is American fashion, or other fashion.
    Yeah what I have accepted too. They will never be happy when it comes to CAS. Kit kind of reminds me of private school uniforms the more I look at it that has been altered so yes I get that school girl vibe too. That is true I prefer knee length as well for skirts and kilts. It is really hard finding skirts and dresses that are knee length or longer that I either have to shop online, Ross, Burlington Factory, or Goodwill because most places like Wal-Mart or Target have gender neutral clothing that are men's t-shirt length. More in women's clothing doesn't mean better because it is generally the same slogan tee shirt and cheap pair of jeans that rip easily while men's action figure shirts and jeans and sweatshirts have better made fabric. So yeah that is why girlfriends tend to steal their boyfriend's clothing. Men's clothing can be nice especially for someone who has sensory issues with certain fabrics. Some fabrics are too sensitive on my skin which my nephew has sensory issues with fabrics too. School girl look would actually be painful for me to wear so glad I never went to a private school.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited November 2021

Kilts would have been cool like I've seen people wearing kilts over really ripped up and scuffed denim jeans with belted boots, torn shirts etc. Looks super cool, though I suppose that's more "punk" than "modern" still, it looked pretty boss.

Guess we can hope for a "Schottish Highland" Kit, or maybe a "London Punk" kit? Those would be kinda fun, provided they were done well.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    That kind of stuff blows my mind, sales aren't always that great. Plus, I don't want to spend money on a Millennium Falcon, which I know you are using as an example, but with how Star Wars is going right now, I don't want to give them any money.

But…imagine this…you can actually build the entire thing. With LEGO blocks. 🥺
    It would look so pretty in my “trophy” room…🥺

…which I don’t even have… 😔

sigh

I’m secretly very jealous of SimGuru Ninja’s trophy room.
    Yes, I’ve seen it on pictures…*

Ninja I hate you.**

You know I didn’t mean that. 😇 ***

Because I still need my body hair menu and my werebeasts.😇 ****

And Customizable ceilings!
    And Cars.
    And Bands.
    Horses.
    Spiral stairs.
    CAW.
    Fairy Folk!
    Dragon beasts!
    A Soul Reaper career and an Underworld.
    Underwater worlds.
    More Planets.
    More Aliens.

More STAR WARS! 😇 *****

Thank you! I ❤️ you Gurus! 😇

• Options
    Yeah what I have accepted too. They will never be happy when it comes to CAS. Kit kind of reminds me of private school uniforms the more I look at it that has been altered so yes I get that school girl vibe too. That is true I prefer knee length as well for skirts and kilts. It is really hard finding skirts and dresses that are knee length or longer that I either have to shop online, Ross, Burlington Factory, or Goodwill because most places like Wal-Mart or Target have gender neutral clothing that are men's t-shirt length. More in women's clothing doesn't mean better because it is generally the same slogan tee shirt and cheap pair of jeans that rip easily while men's action figure shirts and jeans and sweatshirts have better made fabric. So yeah that is why girlfriends tend to steal their boyfriend's clothing. Men's clothing can be nice especially for someone who has sensory issues with certain fabrics. Some fabrics are too sensitive on my skin which my nephew has sensory issues with fabrics too. School girl look would actually be painful for me to wear so glad I never went to a private school.
    There usually is an outcry to kits like that at times. Even with most school uniforms, the skirts can be long, or short, depending on the school. Yeah, not too many places sell skirts that are knee length, they tend to be in the dress section. I kind of envy men for having the graphic tees. The other problem is that guy's clothes tend to always being kind of in style, while Women's clothes change every season. I have never been to private school, but wouldn't want to wear skirts. Also, what throws me off is that is is called "men's wear," which makes it specific to one gender, when it looks like it can be both, or a mix.

• Options

Kilts would have been cool like I've seen people wearing kilts over really ripped up and scuffed denim jeans with belted boots, torn shirts etc. Looks super cool, though I suppose that's more "punk" than "modern" still, it looked pretty boss.

Guess we can hope for a "Schottish Highland" Kit, or maybe a "London Punk" kit? Those would be kinda fun, provided they were done well.
    That would actually be cool, versus them putting it with a school girl skirt. "Punk" could be considered modern too, even if it isn't a super popular look nowadays.
    I would love kits like that, it would give us access for different clothes to what we are used to.
  • Options

sigh

Ninja I hate you.**

And Cars.
    And Bands.
    Horses.
    Spiral stairs.
    CAW.
    Fairy Folk!
    Dragon beasts!
    Underwater worlds.
    More Planets.
    More Aliens.

More STAR WARS! 😇 *****

I wish I had a trophy room as well. Also, you could do that as well, and it wouldn't cost as much. If I had the patience, I would actually make one.

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    The Rise of Skywalker Millennium Falcon is only 128 at walmart @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    its still got a lot of pieces and will take a long time to build
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options

They didn't used to be cool. My mom got bullied a lot in school over them with kids laughing that Irish guys wear skirts. It wasn't until Lord of the Dance that being Irish was considered cool in America. My grandfather was an illegal immigrant from Ireland trying to survive being one of 13 children. He got caught and was trained working on ships. He met my grandmother in Canada and she was starving during the Depression so made sure her family had plenty to eat. But yes sadly the Irish has had a history of being discriminated against. So nice it is a bit better now. But yeah I do have family and friends that do wear kilts and hula skirts. It is apart of the culture and fashion. I wouldn't mind a punk pack either. I never was a girly girl and took me years to like the color pink. I just love deep rich colors and steampunk is adorable.
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    its the 2nd here in australia 5.19am and the kit isnt on origin does anyone know what time it will be?? australian time xx
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

sigh

Ninja I hate you.**

And Cars.
    And Bands.
    Horses.
    Spiral stairs.
    CAW.
    Fairy Folk!
    Dragon beasts!
    Underwater worlds.
    More Planets.
    More Aliens.

More STAR WARS! 😇 *****

Hahaha haha 😂😂😂
    His trophy room is a dream.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    [Did you know husbands make great pack mules?

Lol *looks around guiltily at husband carrying all my bags*

Having lived with 3 guys for the last 20 odd years (hubby and 2 sons), I can say it is difficult to get them interested in buying themselves clothes. Our youngest is slightly more enthusiastic, but not by much. But spot a new gadget and the enthusiasm shoots through the roof :D

It's funny because my family is the complete opposite. My husband loves fashion, brother loves fashion, my son really like clothes and comments on cuts and texture. He is seven years old. One of my happiest days were when we decided to not go to a big party with ballroom dancing. I didn't have to buy a dress, thank the Llama. My best friend and my husband had already had an evening skyping trying to narrow it down to a few options so that there would be less dresses to look at for me. I love my family and friends, we understand each other.